1 AM: Fall in Love

1 AM

I let out a sigh since it was the only thing I could do. There was no way I was going to lose my composure at a gas station. I look at my watch as I sit in the passenger’s seat; the car parked in an empty space. “1 am.”

At a loss for words, I pick up my purse and exit the car. He was nowhere to be found. The pain of my heart breaking was more prevalent now. I hate myself for not being able to hold it together.

I walk towards the tiny convenient store at the gas station. I now notice how comforting the cold breeze was at a time of heartbreak. His words replayed in my head as I walk, “So that’s it? You can’t do this… us anymore? Fine.” Then he walked away.

My head was now throbbing as the door made a familiar ding sound when I entered. Walking over to the freezer area and I grab two ice cream cones out of habit instead of just one. Frustrated at myself, I drop both back into the freezer and storm out of the store.

Frustration quickly turned to sadness when I notice that he was still nowhere to be found. I look over to where the car was; it was still there, parked and empty. Due to the sadness, I walk toward the dimly lit streets wanting to clear my head some more.

After walking half a block, I collapse on the floor and place my head on my knees. Finally, the sob I have tried so hard to suppress escaped.  As I cry, I see my warm breath join the cold air. The cold breeze was no longer comforting.

Then suddenly a large jacket was placed over me. I turn my head and see him standing over me, his eyes glassy and red. I couldn’t hold it anymore; his jacket fell to the floor as I wrap my arm around his waist.

With no words, he wraps his arms around my waist and places his head on top of mine. “I’m sorry I don’t know what-“ I attempt to say. “Shhhhh.” He says gently.

“Do you love me…?” He asks in a whisper. I nod my head and reply, “I do…” We are still embracing each other, and I have never liked anything more than this moment.

“I love you.” He says with the softest smile on his face now that we are standing in front of each other, no longer in an embrace. I grab his shirt collar and kiss him softly on the lips. I feel his lips form a smile as I kiss him.

We pull away from each other and he grabs his jacket, placing it over me again. He grabs my hand and we walk back to his car silently enjoying the night sky.

 

He had just made me fall in love with him all over again.