Unexpected Encounter

Unexpected Encounter

Tokyo, October 3rd 2014, 12.00 PM JST

 

“Yixing, I think it’s not too safe to wander around,” said Minseok, patting Yixing’s backpack. “You know, I think the weather is not really good. Also, we’ve just arrived. Save up your energy for tomorrow’s concert, would you?”

Yixing was tying his shoelaces when Minseok said that. He knew it; after all rain commonly happens during fall and spring. He needed to pay more attention to Minseok’s words actually, since usually the rain that happens in fall is more worrying. But none could ruin his plan that day, not now.

“I’ve had enough preparation, hyung. I have umbrella and raincoat inside my backpack. Surprisingly I don’t forget to bring along my glasses. Also sunblock—”

“Sunblock? Huh???” Minseok frowned violently. “This year’s summer has ended, Yixing—how can I trust you to wander around Tokyo with that poor brain of yours?!”

Yixing chuckled. “This sunblock is always inside my backpack ever since last spring. Well hyung, I’m off. Ittekimasu1!” he pinched Minseok’s cheek before heading to the hotel room’s door. And look, he’s practicing his Japanese.

“Anyway Yixing, can I borrow your laptop? I need to watch Japanese movies at the moment,” Minseok asked for permission. He knew very well that Yixing collected many Japanese movies and dramas to upgrade his Japanese skill and since according to online survey, he’s entitled as the most popular EXO member in Japan. It’s a strong reason why Zhang Yixing should learn Japanese.

Yixing nodded as the answer to Minseok’s answer.

 

 

Asakusa, October 3rd 2014, 1.30 PM JST

 

Zhang Yixing paid a visit to Sensou-ji in Asakusa. Even since The Lost Planet Concert in Beijing, he had always wanted to go to this shrine when he came to Japan. He wanted to pray and calm himself down. Maybe the other members had found out his reason to pay a visit there, so they didn’t stop him. They both knew, the second beginning would come again.

Yixing, as Minseok said, really has a poor brain. He forgot to have lunch and hence his stomach growled loudly like there was a war inside it. He looked around only to find a small eatery on the corner of the street. He was told before that Japan is expensive so to survive successfully in the country he has to be a traveler or even backpacker with the all low-budget in everything, including having meal. He could actually find a fine restaurant since he had money but he was wandering around Tokyo all by himself now, and he reminded himself not to spend his money recklessly.

What he liked from the small eatery was that the payment method using vending machine. A coupon came out from it and after that he must give it to the cook to get his order. He chose soba as his lunch because he thought it was the best to eat something warm in this kind of weather.

Chotto matte kudasai, ne?2” the cook said with wide smile after receiving Yixing’s coupon and soon he came back to his work.

Hai, arigatou gozaimasu3,” Yixing replied politely, not caring whether his pronunciation sounded weird but anyways he also wanted everyone there to figure out that he was foreigner.

The eatery had TV and it aired a variety show. Zuo Teng Jian, he read the guest’s name. Kind of strange for a name but then he realized that he was in Japan. That person’s name was written in kanji, then. Seriously, he should have listened to Minseok in the very first place.

The long talk between the Zuo Teng Jian guy and the host came to conclusion that the guest was Sato Takeru, that actor who portrayed Himura Kenshin in Rurouni Kenshin. Yixing had it in his laptop. He was even willing to struggle just to get a ticket for Kyoto Inferno. By struggle it means ‘escaping’ from EXO’s hectic schedule and daily activity (read: concerts and practice nonstop). He was amazed that actually the actor who previously portrayed Nogami Ryoutaro in Kamen Rider Den-O and even a reckless butler Shibata Kento in Mei-chan No suji suddenly stole attention with his role as Himura Kenshin. He is sure growing up very well.

Yixing thanked the cook when his order was delivered to him. He started eating his soba while continuing to watch the variety show. He obviously didn’t understand Japanese so he just tried to figure out what Sato Takeru was saying by reading the kanji letters.

Ah, it’s no use. He still didn’t understand.

When Yixing was done eating, he thanked the cook again and immediately left the eatery. He continued walking to wherever his legs led him to. He was still amazed with the calm traffic in Tokyo, and in other hand, it’s the sidewalks that were crowded.

Until he bumped into someone when he was crossing the street.

They both fell down. Good thing that the pedestrians weren’t really bothered with them lying on the street. Yixing took this chance to get up and help the person he bumped into to stand on his feet again.

Daijoubu ka?4” asked Yixing as he reached the person’s hand. He stood up with Yixing’s helping hand.

Daijoubu, gomenasai!5” said the man.

For a second, Yixing was stunned. He looked at the man’s face closely before he gasped.

“OH MY GOD YOU’RE SATO TA—”

“—ICHI! Hai, sou da.6 My name is Sato Taichi,” the man laughed while covering Yixing’s mouth. “You don’t need to say it out loud, man.”

Yixing struggled to escape his mouth from the man’s hand and when he finally got rid of it, he gasped again. “Zuo Teng Jian!”

The man stared at him for a while with a frown formed on his forehead. Then, the sound coming from the traffic light was heard as a sign that the pedestrians’ time to cross the street almost came to the end. The man Yixing called ‘Zuo Teng Jian’ then dragged him away from the street, prevented the cars crashing into them and taking their lives.

They finally reached the place where they thought (or maybe, only Zuo Teng Jian thought so) was safe. “Kohii?7” ‘Zuo Teng Jian’ offered, and Yixing nodded. The man then approached a vending machine to get two cans of coffee.

“You know, your face is kinda familiar,” ‘Zuo Teng Jian’ said with the Google Translate in his cellphone, after he got back to where Yixing was waiting for him.

“Your face is more familiar, Sato Takeru-san,” Yixing remarked, also using Google Translate.

And they didn’t really know how pathetic their conversation went because they weren’t muted but they had to communicate with Google Translate due to language barrier.

‘Zuo Teng Jian’, or is more known as the actor Sato Takeru, laughed. “Hontou ka?8” he said directly. He then typed, “Well, I guess so. But yes, I’m Sato Takeru. And you are…?”

“I’m Zhang Yixing,” the Chinese guy said. “And I think I’m not popular enough for you to recognize my face.”

“Eh, but I really am familiar with your face, but I don’t remember where I saw your face…” Takeru said with a small frown. “Have we met before?”

“Or maybe there’s someone you’ve met who has the face that resembles mine?” Yixing tried to stimulate Takeru’s mind while drinking his coffee.

“AH!” Takeru suddenly exclaimed. He excitedly typed, “Ah I think I know you! You’re Hayama Takeru, am I right?”

Yixing frowned more. “Excuse me?”

“Wait, you’re not Hayama Takeru?” the Japanese guy asked for confirmation and he got ‘no’ as the answer. “You’re really not that Takeru the star?”

Yixing choked on his coffee. “HUH???!!!” he yelled. “Chigaimasu!9 I’m Zhang Yixing and I’m Chinese and a sing—” he paused. He shouldn’t say that he’s an idol. He deleted the characters after the word ‘Chinese’. “The thing is, I’m not a star. Besides, you’re Takeru yourself. And besides, why do you know that star? Don’t tell me you like to watch movies?”

Takeru glared at Yixing who then looked down. Takeru sighed.

“That guy has the same name with mine and when I google-searched ‘Takeru’, his name came up as well. When I checked that name, I didn’t expect that he’s Japanese star. Or to be exact, gay star.”

Yixing choked on his coffee for the second time.

“There, there, okay you’re not Hayama, wakatta.10,” said Takeru. “Anyway, you’re a tourist aren’t you? I feel like giving you a free tour guide service…”

“Eh? Don’t you have schedule today?” Yixing asked.

Takeru smiled. “I’ve finished the promotion for both Kyoto Inferno and The Legend Ends. I even went to USA to see Taka, my friend who has schedule there with his band. Now that I’m here, I’d love to take you around Tokyo and maybe Odaiba. Take it as my way to ask your apology for bumping into you.”

And Yixing thought it would be amazing to have a Japanese actor as tour guide for a day.

 

 

Odaiba, October 3rd 2014 3 PM JST

 

Yixing only read some articles about Odaiba without ever paying a visit to the place. Gundam and even miniature of Liberty exist there. That day Odaiba was kinda windy and Yixing wondered how it would look like on sunny day.

“Sugoii desu ne?11” Takeru smiled seeing the amazed Yixing.

“Yes, indeed. Beautiful. Like Japanese version of San Francisco right?”

Takeru nodded with smile. “Anyway, don’t forget to take photos as many as you can, and I will wait for you here,” Takeru took a seat at the rest area. Yixing did as what he was told. Soon, Takeru called a newspaper boy to get a copy of the latest issue of a magazine.

Yixing thought it was a funny scene. Takeru waited for him who was taking photos while reading magazine. Yixing thanked God that Takeru bought magazine and not newspaper because if he did he would have looked like a father. And Yixing himself would have looked like Takeru’s son.

Ah well.

 

 

Shibuya, October 3rd 2014, 5.30 PM JST

 

Crowded. That’s what Yixing thought about Shibuya. Takeru said he forgot to bring something which he left in Amuse Inc. office. And yes, Amuse Inc. office is located in Shibuya. Yixing was afraid if any of the staffs were familiar with him so he kept on looking at his shoes when Takeru led him to a dance practice room.

Yixing looked around the room. It was really cool. He really belonged to this kind of room. After all, whenever he’s onstage, he becomes Lay the lead dancer of EXO-M. To be Lay who is well-known for his dance skill, Yixing had been spending most of his youth inside the dance practice room. Funny, because actually he performed Xin Bu Liao Qing with his voice (and his guitar) in SM audition he joined in Wuhan back then, not dance. But then, he found that dancing is something he never thought on stopping.

“You like this place?” asked Takeru in weird English, which fortunately Yixing could understand.

Yixing nodded with smile. “I’m a dancer,” he replied in English too.

Takeru gave him a surprised look. He walked closer towards Yixing. “I’m a dancer too!”

The member of EXO-M blinked. “Eeehh?”

“Mostly B-boying though,” that’s what was written in the Google Translate. “Or people are more familiar with breakdancing.”

Majikayo???12”Yixing was really surprised because the actor who portrayed Kenshin Himura actually can do breakdancing.

“Yes that’s right. It helped me a lot in Rurouni Kenshin during the fighting scene. Shall I show you?”

Yixing never expected this before. He even hadn’t given Takeru a reply but that guy already laid his back on the floor. With his legs up in the air, he spin-ed his body so he could stand on his feet again. It was really amazing. Yixing wanted to give him applause but then he saw Takeru really breakdancing. He spin—stirred, even?—his body and his hands made some squeaky sound because of their friction with the floor. Usually Yixing made it with his shoes, so he was kinda stunned when Takeru made it with his hands. He wondered if he could do that too. I mean breakdancing.

When Takeru was done, Yixing violently clapped his hands. Despite the thin body Takeru owns, his breakdancing skill is awesome. Indeed it helped him a lot in fighting scene.

“Now, will you let me see your dancing skill?” Takeru challenged.

Yixing smiled and he nodded shyly. “I can’t do what you did earlier but I’ll do my best. Anyway, can I play some music?”

Douzo13.” Takeru said. He helped Yixing to plug in the device so the speaker roared the music that came out from his iPhone.

It was Phoenix. The song that established him as EXO’s member under the stage name Lay. He remembered the days when he practiced this song together with Minseok and… Lu Han. For once, he wanted to reminisce the moments through this song before the reality strikes his brain again.

The sound of clapping hands was heard as he finished. Takeru, with that cool smile, gave him two thumbs up.

It was Yixing’s growling stomach that made Takeru laughed. Yixing’s cheeks turned dead red like why must it be now??? Then the elder took his hand and dragged him away from the dance practice room; from the company.

Yixing didn’t really know where Takeru led him to. Many people had told him to be aware with strangers but why would someone like Sato Takeru commit crimes? He would ended up ruining the career he had built and Yixing believed he would never do that. And after all, he was just a guest and Takeru was the so-called landlord.

When they passed somewhere still in Shibuya, an LCD in a building showed an advertisement of SMTOWN Concert in Japan which would start from the next day. , Yixing mentally screamed. He hoped Takeru wouldn’t see that. Moreover after the advertisement ended, Overdose MV was played. AND CHINESE VERSION FOR GOD’S SAKE!

Her love, her love…

Takeru got his sight set on the LCD right when Yixing’s part. Yixing sweated a lot despite the cold weather. He immediately grabbed Takeru’s hand and dragged him away from there, not caring the whining sound from the elder. When they reached a place to hide, they stopped there just to catch some breaths. Takeru hit Yixing and it made Yixing yelled, but he pulled back the willing to complain because Takeru scolded him in fast Japanese he could never understand. He just asked an apology when Takeru was done scolding him.

The Japanese then showed Yixing his cellphone. Yixing read the Chinese translation that was written there.

Up for pizza?

Yixing nodded without thinking twice.

 

 

Shinjuku, October 3rd 2014, 7.00 PM JST

 

They arrived at an Italian restaurant somewhere in Shinjuku. The restaurant named Saizeriya. It somewhat looked like Pizza Hut so it has branches everywhere in Japan. For the branch in Shinjuku, it was in underground. Interesting, Yixing thought.

It’s good that they both wore hat, Takeru even wore mask. He was really prepared. He asked the waiter to with fake voice—he deepened his voice. As an actor, he really knows how to act.

Finally they got a seat. Yixing started to choose menu while Takeru just watched Yixing over the table. Yixing offered him the menu book but Takeru replied with translated Chinese that he already know what to order. Okay, after all Takeru is Japanese and Saizeriya is in Japan and Yixing didn’t really know if those facts would make any sense.

“Lay from EXO, yappari14” Takeru mumbled.

“Uhm… yes, I am Lay from EXO…” Yixing replied in English.

Takeru sighed. He typed something in his Google Translate. “Your face is undoubtedly, really familiar. You’re a public figure after all!”

“Is that a complaint I read?”

“No, but really, you should’ve told me earlier…”

“Is it really a big deal whether I’m a public figure or not?” Yixing showed his cellphone with a frown.

“It’s not fair when you know who I am but I don’t know who you are…” then Takeru typed again, “So your management is going to hold concert tomorrow?”

“Yes. Will you come?”

“Only when you give me free ticket,” Takeru replied slyly. Yixing made a sound like ‘ish’ and they both laughed.

Their orders then came. They happily ate their meals while chit-chatting. At time like this, at the second hardest part Yixing was facing, it was great that he had someone to talk about other things with, who was completely a stranger. A beautiful—or handsome—stranger. Or he should say, a familiar stranger.

“Your company seems to love holding concert with its all artist every year, as what I notice,” that was what Takeru typed, after they finished eating.

“But to tell you the truth, I think this year’s concert is the toughest…” Yixing stated. Takeru made a face asking why and Yixing went on typing, “In April when we just promoted the new song titled Overdose as what you saw earlier in Shibuya, a member left without notice.”

Takeru raised his eyebrows after reading that.

“He was really a precious friend to me, we got through a lot of hardships together as foreigners who worked for a Korean company. You know, it’s not easy to debut as an artist in the company I’m in. It was a very great luck that I could make it… but Yifan, the member who left, felt that it wasn’t what he really wanted. I could understand his reason, but I couldn’t accept the fact that he left us without notice, without discussing about it with us, and all I knew later that he filed a lawsuit against the company just right a week before our very first concert.”

“You must be really angry, then.”

“Rather than ‘angry’, I was really hurt. Honestly I felt like I was betrayed but seeing him enjoying his life now, I’m happy for him. It’s all fine with me now. I think it’s all fine with the other members, too.”

Takeru smiled. He raised his thumb.

“But Takeru-san… a member is about to leave as well.”

“Who?” Takeru asked.

Yixing’s hands shook when he typed, “Another best friend of mine. Lu Han.”

Takeru didn’t really know which one is Lu Han but he was assuming Lu Han was the one who sang the first part in Overdose. “Why?” he asked.

“He said he wanted to come back to his family because they need him. They need him to stay and he granted it. He just had some discussion with us right before we had concert in Beijing which is his hometown. He said he wanted the concert to be his last stage as a member of EXO. At first we disagreed and persuaded him to change his mind but we couldn’t convince him because all he did was for his family. As for me, family is truly important so I let him go. It’s hard for us to lose two members in a year but as long as they’re happy, it’s all fine.”

The actor leaned his cheek on his palm. “Are you really happy? Or are you just acting happy like nothing happens?”

Yixing just stared at Takeru’s word on the cellphone. He froze. No, he wasn’t really happy. Both Yifan and Lu Han were—are—his best friends. They went through the hardships together, along with Tao, but then they left. But in Lu Han’s case, Yixing felt happy in some spot.

“I’m happy because at least Lu Han discussed about it with us and he left with smile on both of our faces.”

Takeru smiled as well.

“And anyway, since Lu Han left, I got to dance with BoA senpai15, and it was originally Lu Han who danced with her from EXO-M in the song ‘Only One’,” he typed that with laughed. “I should thank him later.”

“You’re gonna dance with BoA?!” Takeru asked.

“Yes! You should really come tomorrow okay~”

Takeru smirked. “What if I turn jealous?”

“Are you a fan of BoA?”

“I’m no longer talking about her… I’m afraid I would be jealous to you because your company is holding a concert and you can participate along with the other artists from the company. Meanwhile since 2013 I have been absent to join the event my company annually holds.”

“Then you should join by next year.”

“I hope so…”

“But wait; concert? As in concert where we sing and dance?” Yixing asked.

Takeru nodded.

“I thought you’re actor?”

“Only in Super Handsome Live, I become a singer and dancer as well. Before you ask, I might as well tell you about it. So my company holds an event every year for us actors who join Team Handsome, the event named Super Handsome Live, SHL for short. We sing, we dance, we stage-play, we have a lot of fun together. But because I was hectic in 2013 and 2014 for shooting movies and dramas like The Liar and His Lover, Kyoto Inferno, The Legend Ends, Bitter Blood, even Bakuman and I’m now still in the making of my newest movie titled If Cats Disappear from This World, I couldn’t participate in SHL 2013 and 2014. The live view of SHL 2014 will be on 5th. I’m not sure I would be tough to watch it or not, though…”

“Do you miss them?”

Takeru nodded with smile. “Really miss them, a lot. Or actually I miss the moment we spent together year by year… Haruma, for example. I miss him a lot. He couldn’t also participate in SHL 2013 and 2014. For this year, he just finished shooting for Shingeki no Kyojin live action as Eren, and he should be having some schedule on the day SHL 2014 is held. I miss making nabe with him. I didn’t really help him; otherwise I always became a nuisance to him when making nabe but I miss those moments. I miss the peeled pear he gave me when I visited his place. Though we aren’t intensely meeting up, at least we still keep in touch with each other. I hope you do that, too, with Yifan and Lu Han.”

Yixing read the words carefully and smiled. He nodded as if saying he absolutely would.

“So… where are we going now? Still have some places in mind to visit?”

Yixing bit his lower lip, thinking. He typed something with his iPhone but then something snapped him. He google-searched about something and then he showed it to Takeru.

 

 

Akihabara, October 3rd 2014, 8.30 PM JST

 

“iPhone 6??? Seriously???” Takeru asked. “You already have iPhone and now you’re holding it!”

Yixing just smirked slyly to Takeru.

“You wanted to visit Akihabara just to buy the iPhone 6 which you can buy in Korea???”

“Why are you complaining? I wasn’t using your money, though?” typed Yixing  while meh-rong-ing.

Takeru made a face as if complaining again.

“Anyway, let me get you home,” Takeru said with smile.

 

 

The hotel, October 3rd 2014, 9.15 PM JST

 

Yixing bowed to Takeru when they arrived at the hotel as gratitude. Because a lot of fans were waiting for the SM’s artist in front of the hotel, Takeru chose to drop Yixing behind the hotel. Yixing thanked Takeru a lot for that.

“Take care of yourself okay?” Takeru typed.

“I will,” replied Yixing.

“Also your new iPhone 6,” the Japanese added with grin.

Yixing laughed. “Alright, I will.”

“Wish you all the best of luck for the concert and your performance with BoA. Make sure you won’t do anything obscene to her.”

“Seriously now!” Yixing yelled in Chinese after reading that and he quickly typed, “Then make sure you won’t make any more scandals with girls.”

Takeru frowned. “Oi oi, were you searching about my scandals…?”

Yixing nodded proudly. “That former AKB48 member and the one who is nine years older—”

Takeru immediately grabbed Yixing’s cellphone and deleted the Chinese’s words there.

“Rumors,” Takeru sighed. He then typed, “I’ve moved on anyway. I’m currently not in any relationships.”

Yixing laughed. “Alright, senpai. Thank you for escorting me here. Thank you for everything today. It was surely fun and I enjoyed the trip a lot. Take care on your way home and oyasuminasai16,” he typed in his cellphone.

The Japanese actor smile and bowed to Yixing. “Matta ne?17

Yixing smiled. “Eung.

 

When Yixing reached his room, Jongdae and Minseok were still in front of his laptop, watching Japanese drama. They laughed at the funny scene there, which drove Yixing curious.

“What are you guys watching, seriously?” asked Yixing.

Bitter Blood, with Sato Takeru as the main character here. The role he played here is really different from Himura Kenshin,” said Minseok.

Yixing smiled after hearing Minseok’s words.

“Such a great actor, isn’t he?” Yixing remarked and soon he joined Minseok and Jongdae watching the drama.

 

 

Extras:

  1. I’m off!
  2. Please wait a minute, okay?
  3. Yes, thank you.
  4. Are you okay?
  5. I’m okay, I’m sorry!
  6. Yes, right.
  7. Coffee?
  8. Really?
  9. I’m not!
  10. I see/I understand.
  11. Amazing, right?
  12. Are you sure???
  13. Please. (as in letting someone do something)
  14. I knew it/as I thought.
  15. Senior
  16. Good night.
  17. See you.

 


a/n: I happened to like Sato Takeru as much as I like Yixing so bear with me lol after all I'm not the type who will stuck in 1 person for so long moreover when the person isn't my lover (or husband even)

I hope you guys give them both lovessss <3