Love is on the Way

Mini's Fic Requests [Requests Closed]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Kai told her, "I'm sorry, I can't help you," he had meant it. Their motto of life had streamed along those lines, helplessness. Weak like a mongrel, his fate had been defined by his parents' will. Succumbing to their orders, their way of life had become just his way of living; how he survived. They were his puppeteer; he their inanimate object. The only game he'd played all his life was follow the leader way too long now, for so long that he didn't know how to opt out. 

Even now, he remained a failure at it. 

Kai was forever a roaring wave unable to overcome the shore and Yookyung had entered the very same struggle. The tranquility in her eyes represented the calmness he'd learned to mirror throughout his life, every day of his being. From day one when she moved into his home, she never spoke the same way she did with him before their lives united. Suddenly, she was more formal - robotic. 

Yookyung - when he first met her - was composed, yet free natured. Somehow, in between all of the pressure for their bonding of marriage, it disappeared. The fight in Yookyung died when she cried in his arms, giving up. 

That day she disappeared and the still wife he had now was a body empty of touch and soul. 

A year had gone by. His mother eagerly tried persuading Yookyung into having a baby. She would listen and nod, agree with a forged smile but never spoke with him about it. Feigning enthusiasm and promise was something she'd mastered over the past eight months. Whenever they were alone, becoming quiet was her forte. Sometimes she might ask him how work was, but she knew how his day had been. It was just small talk to fill the void of awkwardness. Majority of the time, it worked. He let it work. 

Cliché as it was, their arranged marriage was an unhappy one. When the elders expected it, he put on a show of happiness, arms around the wife, cheerily engaging in conversations, Yookyung gladly following the flow. She'd become like a fish following the unpredictable stream whichever way it twisted and turned. Over the months she'd become his imitation. The solo puppet he had been under his parents was now joined by another party. 

In the privacy of their room, they'd slip back into their skin where she served obediently as wife and he as businessman. And he continued playing follow the leader.

No one was there to welcome him home. Again, he'd stayed late behind at the company - the twentieth time that month. Kai had tried shoving the impression that work was his most reliable excuse to avoid coming home. That all the new lineups was keeping him really busy with all the new promotions and scheming that needed planning. Before him the marble floor extended into the following corridor where it split up into two hallways. To his right, a wide open doorway led into the living room made of stuffed exquisite furniture, the plumpest of its kind. A huge oval window offered the scenic view outside, a copy of one of the world's most glorious sight found in Japan's botanic gardens. When the sun streamed down majestically it looked like heaven. 

Today there was no sun, but the moon. Even the white hue was no competition for the god-like descending sun. Kai's footsteps quietly thundered against the shiny floor so clean he could see his own reflection. It was almost a shame that he was treading on such clear ground.    

The coming day which marked the union of their marriage was nearly around the corner. Other couples would be eagerly making plans to have dinner at five-star restaurants, be surrounded by live jazz music, one of the most romantic of its kind. Or be planning for an unforgettable trip all the way across the globe, like most of the million dollar couples he knew. What was a thousand dollar trip worth when there was the beloved half at your side? Kai didn't know. He didn't think he'd ever understand. 

Even if Yookyung had been aware of the upcoming anniversary, she hadn't offered a word. Kai, too, resolved to not do anything. Why celebrate a pact neither of them were in with heart or soul? 

A chocolate staircase brought him to the second floor. Another long hallway rolled before him, the golden bulbs from overhead splattering their glows onto the waxed marble. His shadow darkened them as he treaded toward an identical wooden door, identical to all the other fifteen doors lining the hallway like soldiers on guard. 

This was originally not his room - the one he'd grown up in. This was the room he'd moved into after getting married. Larger with space and brighter with sunshine - his mother had said - was important for a newlywed couple. Kai didn't get what the indication of why a larger room was better, but he was glad he didn't have to share his personal bedroom space with Yookyung. 

The dark green curtains had been drawn aside, left open. Beyond the yard outside lights sparkled like mysterious stars across the street, over tall iron gates belonging to their neighbor. Yookyung was in bed, asleep by the edge - her space. Without speaking about it, they'd marked their territory on the bed not to be crossed. 

Drawing the curtains to a close he flicked the lights off and stepped into the shower. The long days behind him and the long days ahead were all like this. 

"Surely you haven't been too busy with work and avoiding Yookyung," his mother spoke from across the table the next morning. Too many side dishes and appetizers unnecessarily line the center of the table. But breakfasts, lunch, and dinners had always been this extravagant. Their way of life, fancy. 

"I was thinking we should go see a fortune teller," his mother went on. "See when the best date to conceive is."

"I don't have time," Kai took a sip of his cold water, fresh from the fridge. "You know there's a new product coming out into the market. There's too much competition and strategizing we need to focus on. Hasn't dad talked to you about it?" Lifting his eyes up from his rich plate of steaming food he eyed his father sitting across from him. 

"You've been married a year and there's no baby yet," his father, avoiding his eyes, reminded. "We have to root out the cause. If there's no heir there'll be no one to take over the business." 

Root out the cause? 

"You should treat Yookyung better. She's always alone in the house," his father lectured.

"It's all right," Yookyung piped up. "I'm always out on a walk. Kai has work to do, which is important, so let him do what he needs to do. We can worry about everything later." 

"Oh, Yookyung," his mother sympathized. Turning to Kai she went on, "Your wedding anniversary is coming up. Do you know how important that is for a woman? Go on a trip somewhere. Take Yookyung out for God's sake, Kai."

Kai turned to glance at Yookyung, wondering if perhaps she said something about it to his mother. After returning the eye lock she turned away without word. Unable to read anything from her glance he switched attention back to his breakfast. 

No hole existed in their relationship, but they weren't exactly close either. All along they'd spoken on good terms, no argument or objections. They never asked anything of the other either. As if he owed her for being unable to halt the marriage, Kai had let her do whatever without setting down any lines. He couldn't tell to what extent Yookyung used the freedom given, but it didn't at all seem like she took to abusing the advantage offered. Instead of falling behind his lines, Yookyung seemed to set herself victim to his mother's limits. If that was her choice, Kai had no say. 

While sliding into his jacket from the room, he peered out the window to find Yookyung sitting at the glass table outside. When they first met her hair had been short to her shoulders. Now it was well below that length, a mark of how long it'd been since they met. 

Stepping outside with keys in hand he exited the manor, moved across the short brick paved path toward Yookyung. Her eyes slipped over the thick book in her hands before she completely set it down. 

"Do you need something?" She wondered. 

Kai's eyes scanned the branded clothes she now wore instead of the casual ones she loved. The sweats and the graphic tees that made her comfortable in her own skin had seemingly disappeared. Dressed every day in hundred dollar outfits destroyed the casual aura she used to display, as if it had too, tarnished the person she was. 

Façade over façade.

"Yes?" Yookyung grabbed his attention back from the staring. 

Looking back into her eyes he recalled what he was out there for. "Did you want to go somewhere?" 

"Why?"

"For the anniversary. If you want to do something, I can set work aside for a few days."

"I didn't think about it."

Didn't think about it. Pressing his lips together he nodded. "We don't have to do anything. I'll be back late tonight." With that he turned around to walk away. In the world of money, everyone is either greedy or controlling. If even a businessman couldn't get situations to flock his way, then he was as worthless as a minnow in a sea of big fish. Power was always the biggest concept to every move, every action. 

Kai was capable of fulfilling such, but he was incapable of setting laws down between him and Yookyung. Whenever he looked at her he saw the sorry eyes that spoke, pleaded, "Can't you do something about it?"     

He was just a puppet, doing what he was inclined to do. Kai didn't believe in fate or destiny, any of those cheeky stuff. But here he was, fallen under the curse of his parents - if that wasn't fate he didn't know what to call it. He couldn't choose fate from destiny or build his way anywhere. He never tried, never believed he'd be able to overpower his parents' overridden rules. They, he thought, were the highest authorities in his life. As if destined for this road in life, he simply lived it. 

"I have no choice," he'd told Yookyung once. It had been the truth. Kai had never had any options to choose from. Always trapped into one-known hell only. 

A knock on his desk brought him awake. Friend Sehun smiled before leaning back into the seat in front of his wide desk stacked with binders and portfolios. His computer, now asleep, had a clock bouncing off every corner. Shaking his mouse to wake it up he turned to Sehun, wondering what it was he wanted. And in this world of million dollar businesses, there too, were some reliable friends. 

Sehun, like him, had been born under the predicament of parent manipulation, arranged for marriage - his life controlled from every nook and cranny. About two years back upon completion of university, Sehun had been sent down the road to hell. With a dark face carved from resentment, Kai had felt a fear grabbing the back of his neck and he'd been filled with pitiable sympathy for him. Now Sehun looked like he was going through the golden age; brighter, fresher, and happier whenever Kai saw him. What his secret was, Kai still needed to find out.     

"What are you all caught up about?" Sehun wondered. "Thought we were supposed to meet up for lunch, but had to come find you here."

"Got busy," Kai shortly replied and got up, walking around the desk. "Lets go." 

TGIF sculpted with an air of modern day western food was bustling at its peak when they walked in. Countless laughter and chatter heightened around them when they were seated at a booth, a young waitress no more than the age of twenty-five tended to them. Her stark black hair was a contrast from her paper white skin and hazel eyes. She could have been a potential for a blind date if he weren't married. Kai imagined how both he and Sehun's bands on their marriage fingers turned the woman's interest off. 

"Stop ogling your eye after her," Sehun commented jokingly. 

Kai scowled when he turned to Sehun. 

"Thought we could catch up," Sehun started. "So how's life?" 

Shrugging, he said, "Same o' same o'. You? How's your kid?" 

Kai had been in near disbelief when he'd learnt Sehun's wife was expecting. So far as he'd known, both Sehun and his wife resented each other to the ends of hell. Kai never saw them together, ever after they got married. And out of the blue, the news came like an erupting volcano. 

"Healthy," he sounded proud. "How's marriage? Isn't your anniversary around the corner?" 

"What, you been keeping track of my life or something?" 

Sehun let out a sarcastic laugh, "Well this sounds about the time you got married last year, if I remember correctly."

Kai suddenly felt like sighing. "Yea...it's coming just around the corner." 

"So what are you doing?" 

Kai wondered if other husbands would be excitedly sharing their plans with their buddies, boasting their luck and pride proudly. Yet, there was nothing to be prideful of; nothing to be condescendingly excited about. 

Shrugging, he answered, "Nothing." 

"Nothing?" Sehun repeated with a gasp, astounded by what he was hearing. "Well..." his voice dropped a tone at the realization, "that's surprising. I mean, weren't you two sort of like, I don't know, getting along before getting married? What happened to that?" 

"I don't know," Kai replied, thinking back to how casual he and Yookyung had gotten along. Conversations had been friendly before becoming short and formal. Now, detecting Yookyung's emotions through the knot of her words were near impossible. 

"So...." Sehun waited for him to go on. 

Kai didn't know how to explain to his friend about him and Yookyung. In all, there was just nothing going on between them; nothing that happened at all. There was no word to define their relationship, only that they were husband and wife in name and name only. Behind closed doors...he couldn't tell what they were. 

"I don't know," Kai answered after contemplating for a long minute. "We're not close, but it's not like we treat each other like strangers either. We talk, not a lot and not too little. She's always around and that's just it. That's all to it. Weren't you and your wife like that?"

"No," Sehun shook his head, "we never talked after getting married."

"Then what happened? How'd that kid pop out? Magic?" 

"I just decided to give it a try. I mean, we all know marriage is something that can't be undone. The thing with arranged marriages, is that they don't sound attractive. Putting two people together without their consent, lord knows what can only happen," Sehun explained. "And when you do get married, it's hard to accept that it's already happened. The trick is accepting. I didn't do anything wrong, Namjoo did no wrong either, but she's a good person and I began to see that the more I got to know her. Look what we have now, a son. If he hasn't helped pull us closer, I don't know what has. Why throw something away before know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter