Revelations

Jar of Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Really? Oh my gosh, I'm so proud of you!" Krystal hears her mother exclaim from downstairs. She rolls her eyes, from the tone of her mother's voice she can already tell who she's speaking to. Her older sister, Jessica.





 

That proud, loving tone. The tone that Krystal can never seem to get out of her mother herself. The jealousy and envy she used to feel when hearing it has now all but dwindled into annoyance.





 

"Uh huh, yeah. When? That's great news, honey!"





 

Krystal furrows her brows, Jessica's probably accomplished something great again, or earned some important award that Krystal honestly has no care for. Really, it having an older sister that is just so damn perfect. How is Krystal supposed to live up to her?





 

The blonde is about to drone out her mother's constant praises with music, but just as she pulls her earbuds out of her backpack, her mother shouts.





 

"Krystal! Get down here!"





 

She decides to ignore her mother's call. She'll probably be asked to speak to Jessica on the phone, which she absolutely wants to avoid. Awkward conversations with a sister that Krystal feels like she barely knows isn't something she's quite fond of.





 

But her mother is persistent this time, "Krystal, now!"





 

Sighing, she trudges out of her room and down the stairs. She'd probably have gotten a long lecture about treating her sister with respect and how they don't see her often and it's special whenever they get a call from her, so she might as well face the inevitable and say a few measly sentences to the older girl.





 

She arrives in the kitchen to see her mother smiling widely, phone pressed against her ear as she leans on the countertop. When she sees Krystal, she quickly beckons her over.





 

"Jessica, hold on, Krystal wants to tell you congratulations!"





 

As Krystal takes the cell phone from her mother's hands, she says purposefully loud so the receiver on the other end of the phone is able to hear, "Wait, what am I congratulating her for?"





 

Mrs. Jung sends a deathly glare her way before quickly laughing it off. "Silly, Jessica has been accepted into Seoul University, remember? We've talked about it countless times before."





 

No, they've never spoken about it before. Krystal never hears about Jessica, her mother doesn't tell her anything about Jessica. The only way she's ever updated on her sister's whereabouts is if she eavesdrops on their conversations, and it's not even intentional. To be completely honest, Krystal doesn't want to know what Jessica is doing.





 

But this sudden information hits Krystal hard, and she takes a few seconds for it to finally click.





 

"Does...this mean that...she's coming back from America?"





 

It's an innocent question, but the way Krystal says it with a rising anger in her voice has her mother mel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter