05.

Fixed Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“They decided that teams travelling here and there will be too much of a hassle so they decided that all teams will go to Taeyang High School, the host school, for the competition,” Jiho was saying.

Hyunyoung felt her body stiffening at the mention of her old high school’s name. “T – Taeyang . . . High School?” she let out a little squeak. She closed her eyes and tried to breathe. This could not be happening.

Jiho nodded, oblivious to her reaction, as Hye Ju and Dasom listened to him intently. He was a little bothered, since Taeyang High School was their rival and it felt like they were going to be walking into the enemy’s camp. “Yeah, Taeyang High School. They decided that it was going to be the host school this year. They also said that any students who wished to take a trip to Seoul for the games this year would be allowed, and that studies would be on hold, except for the seniors, of course, but that doesn’t mean they can’t visit during the weekends when it game is played . . .”

Myungsoo was the first one to notice the discomfort expression on her face. “What’s the matter, Hyunyoung?” he asked quietly, taking her hand in his to squeeze gently. He weaved their fingers together, frowning worriedly.

“So I was wondering if you guys would like to come,” Jiho kept on in the background.

She shook her head, ducking down to avoid his gaze. “It – it’s nothing,” she lied. “Don’t worry, I’m fine, sunbae.” She sneaked a peek at him, only to find him still frowning deeply, eyebrows creased with worry. She sighed, resting her head on his shoulder. “It’s just . . . Taeyang High School is my old school,” she muttered.

He wrapped an arm around her immediately, pulling her into his embrace. “I see,” he mused thoughtfully, tucking her head under his chin. “Is it a bad thing for you to go back there? He should be out of school by now, right?”

Hyunyoung shrugged. “I know that old students do go back to cheer for their school,” she said quietly, curling her fingers around his. She closed her eyes and relaxed in his hold. “But I don’t know. It’ll feel weird. What if our school challenge against theirs? I won’t know which to cheer for.”

“Sounds fun!” Hye Ju gushed, her voice fading into the background as Hyunyoung focused her attention on Myungsoo. “I think I’m definitely going to be going over so I can support you and the team, Oppa!”

“Of course you would,” Dasom teased while Jiho blushed, rubbing the back of his nape with a sheepish grin.

Myungsoo nodded, understanding her dilemma. “Well, I won’t hold it against you if you cheer for them,” he told her sweetly. “It was your school, and I’m sure you still have friends there. It’s understandable you’d want to cheer for them. Just don’t be pressured into it, okay?” He smiled softly, but inside his chest was tightening. “As for that guy, if you do see him, stick with me and I promise you I’ll make sure you don’t have to encounter him if you don’t want to.”

Hyunyoung smiled gratefully. “Thanks, sunbae.”

Neither of them realized that the other conversation had died down and that Dasom, Hye Ju and Jiho were now watching the two of them from behind with secret grins on their lips. They could not hear what they were saying, but looking at the two of them made the three friends wonder why they weren’t together yet. From their point of view, seeing them cuddling together like that, made them think that if anyone else were to see them and not know about their situation, they would mistake them for a couple. If only they would just get together already.

Dasom scratched her head, turning to Hye Ju and Jiho, and shrugged, shaking her head. “Let’s give them some privacy,” she mouthed to them, pointing toward the door, indicating that they leave. “I’m pretty sure that neither Myungsoo nor Hyunyoung would even notice it if we’re gone.”

Hye Ju and Jiho nodded in agreement and the three of them quietly turned toward the entrance, taking small, careful steps so they wouldn’t be noticed by their friends yet they could not help but snicker.

“Watch your step, guys, we’re nearly there,” Dasom said, grinning from ear to ear when they were almost out of the door.

Someone cleared his throat and they froze.

“,” Dasom cursed under her breath.

“Are you guys going to turn around any time soon?” they heard Myungsoo asking them, a light teasing tone in his voice and they cringed, slowly turning around to see his lips curving into a smirk. “Are you guys going somewhere?”

Jiho snuck a glance at his girlfriend and Dasom, who gave him frantic looks. He shrugged, trying to act nonchalant, as he replied, “W – well, we thought we’d just go grab something to eat.”

“Without us?” Hyunyoung arched a brow.

“Well —”

“Guys, we know what you are planning to do.” Myungsoo sighed exaggeratedly, shaking his head as if he was disappointed in them for trying to lie to them. “You don’t have to pretend to play dumb.”

Hyunyoung turned to face her friends. "We can hear you, you know," she said to Dasom, who was blushing furiously at being caught.

“Okay, fine, the truth is this. Everyone in school all know how you two feel about each other, so we don’t really get why you two aren’t together yet,” Jiho spoke up bravely, shrugging nonchalantly, earning a jab on the sides from Hye Ju and Dasom, ignoring the death glare Myungsoo was giving him. “We’re also confused about your relationship with each other.”

Myungsoo darted a glance over to Hyunyoung, whose cheeks were red and had her eyes fixed on her hands, clenched into a double fist on the table. He knew she was uncomfortable about this topic. “Our relationship is professionally and strictly sunbae-and-hoobae at the moment.”

Jiho rolled his eyes. “Yeah, sure, and my pet goldfish speaks Italian.”

“You don’t have a pet goldfish that speaks Italian.” Confusion clouded over Hye Ju’s pretty features.

“Exactly,” he pointed out.

“At the moment,” Dasom said quietly to herself before glancing up to see Myungsoo’s cheeks reddening. She smirked. “Well, that was a nice play of words.”

Hyunyoung’s face turned a deep shade of scarlet and even the tips of Myungsoo’s ears were turning crimson red. They glanced at each other, eyes meeting for a brief moment, before looking away awkwardly.

“Guys, seriously, just get together already,” Jiho laughed.

 

Hyunyoung did

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter