Lesson 1: First impression could fail you

On The Subway

I sighed in relief as I found my way to the only vacant seats left on the packed subway train. I took the seat closest to the door and rested my head onto the pole. My eyes roamed around the jammed car; office workers, college students, students, all swarmed into one place. I recognized some of them as the kids from my high school, probably the 10th grade kids judging by the new and clean uniforms they put on compared to mine.

I tried to close my eyes with the hopes of getting a brief sleep, since I didn't get any the night before. This, to all those claiming high school to be the best moment of their lives: Just how miserable could your lives be that you called a time where you got loads of homeworks, bullies, and other self-eestem lowering things at once the best moment of your lives?

In short, I hated high school. I just needed to get out of this hell as soon as possible.

My eyes opened as I felt someone taking the seat next to mine. I turned my head to see the new comer, just in case it was Hayi, a close childhood friend of mine who often took the same subway train. We went to different schools, hers was one stop before mine. But to my utter disappointment, it wasn't her.

Much to my surprise, it was some guy from her school, I could see from the badge on his uniform. Hayi's school was one of the most prestigious high schools in Seoul, where rich parents sent their kids to study. So it was a wonder that someone from such school took the subway train instead of having a driver take him off there in an expensive car that his parents got for him as a birthday present, which my parents could never afford even after years of saving up. Hayi had always been an exception though. She was just different, and I loved her to bits.

Back to the new comer, he had his earphones plugged in and eyes closed with the back of his head rested on the window glass.

So typical of rich guys to appear like they were cool with everything in life, which then would lead to girls swooning over them, which I myself never understood why. This kind of guys wouldn't see the need to work hard since they were born rich, and would probably take the CEO position after their fathers. The spoiled kind of guys who could get anything they wanted in the blink of an eye, thus turning them into brats who saw no worth in other people.

I twitched my lips and shook my head, laughing to myself over my judgmental self and turned my head ahead as the train started to set off. I was about to rest my head back onto the pole when I saw an old lady standing not so far from where I was sitting, looking for a seat. I looked around for a vacant seat but there was none, and what I saw instead failed me. Everyone she had walked past by was either too busy on their smartphones to notice the old lady or just reluctant to offer her their seats. I clicked my tongue and rolled my eyes at a man who pretended like he didn't see the old lady, and stood up to give up my seat for her.

I was about to offer her my seat before a hand pulled me down back to my seat. I gasped at the sudden touch and was about to slap the hand away until I no longer felt it on my arm and saw the Rich Spoiled Guy (RSG) standing in front of me, offering his seat to the old lady.

"You can sit here," the RSG said, giving the old lady a small smile before holding onto the straps with his right hand. The packed subway train left the RSG no other choice but to stand in front of me, and worse, facing me. I stared at him in horror, my mouth gaped open, still remembering how his hand held my arm. He stared back at me, confusion drawn all over his face.

Thank God the old lady was there to put a halt on our staring contest. She nudged me and said, "You've got yourself a lovely boyfriend."

"Um, no, he isn't my boyfriend. We don't even know each other," I said, letting out an awkward laugh. But the old lady laughed and slapped my arm, telling me not to be shy to a point where I had to lie to an old lady. I shook my head for the nth time that morning, and turned to see how the RSG reacted to this. I forgot he still had his earphones on, so he most probably didn't hear us. He was staring right through the window glass, and before I knew, the train came to a stop. The RSG walked to the door and I managed to read his nametag.

"Kim Jiwon," I murmured, taking a better look at his retreating back before he walked further and the door closed.

 

 

And there went my chance of getting a brief sleep.