You're on Speakerphone

A Number of Ways I Love You

Prompt: 

image

 

Rating: Who knows. (Girl Minjung x Boy Jinki)

 

 

"I would do just about anything to wear that man’s thighs as ear muffs.”

 

"Minjung!" Gwiboon hisses and Minjung’s eyes snap forward and she stares down at her computer laptop. In the bottom right hand corner are four boxes, each filled with a face, each face an array of confusion or embarrassment.

 

Her phone buzzes on her desk and she snatches it and opens the text message. 

 

You don’t have laptop on mute! While you were off in lala land, every one just heard your comment on the President’s thighs in the middle of the meeting, you idiot!                                              

                    -Gwiboon

 

Minjung’s face shoots back to the screen. Taeyeon and Junghee are both rapidly typing on their phone, faces red with laughter and Eunsook’s look of embarrassment has now turned to a look a pity. 

 

And Minjung knows why. Resident gossip Junghee and her devil apprentice Taeyeon would waste no time getting Minjung’s faux pas out to everybody, especially considering their video calls were recorded as meeting minutes.

 

I should have never sent Kibum those fake letter from Junghee! She’s going to exact her revenge!

 

Someone, and she guess Taeyeon because she was the only thing standing between earth and the next Armageddon, had used their President’s picture from a charity concert where he sat is a rather…odd position as a segue into another conversation. Most didn’t pay attention to it, but the ones who did– Minho from vendor compliance, Jessica, production manager, Jung Ah, Jinki’s personal assistant and last but not least, her-ing-self–had done a fairly poor job of covering the drool hanging from their lips. 

 

At least with the others, they’d kept QUIET about their lust for the President of the apparel company. Except her. Now Minjung had gone and opened her big mouth and nowTaeyeon was smiling with unholy glee. 

 

"Okay! Think it’s time to close the meeting," she said cheerfully as she reached for the screen of her laptop to shut it. 

 

Minjung panicked like she’d never panicked before in her life. The meeting minutes were always, ALWAYS reviewed by their President the moment the call was closed. He opted out of attending the meetings personally–thank GOD–because of something about not wanting to interrupt their creative process. So he’d review and then send notes later. Which mean that the moment Taeyeon closed her line, the meeting was over and…

 

"WAIT!" 

 

Her snicker was the last thing she heard as her laptop when dark and her wallpaper reappeared. 

 

Her phone buzzed again.

 

"If you want to quit, I can give you some good references because…"

 

off, Gwiboon. Minjung stood, sending a flurry of papers scattering off her desk. They were probably really important documents or art proofs but who gave a ? her life was about to be ruined. 

 

She ducked out of her office and took long strides down the hallway, trying to ignore the odd looks her coworkers were giving her. Oh, how fast gossip flies, ! 

 

She turned the corner, passing Taeyeon’s office, where she and Junghee were still giggling their skinny asses off. Junghee turned around, saw Minjung and offered a sympathetic pout. Minjung remembers in her head to draw and quarter the older woman once she’d been fired and collected her things.

 

Jung Ah stands as Minjung approaches and breezes by, stuttering something about “you can’t just–”. Minjung will apologize later because right now nobody cared about Jung Ah’s rules.

 

"Mr. Lee I just wanted to say how much I respect you as a person and if I have said anything to make you think I don’t then I am truly sorry,” is the first thing that comes out of Minjung’s mouth as she damn near kicks Lee Jinki’s door off the hinges. 

 

The look on his face–completely red around the ears and his cute little mouth was rounded to an O, and his eyes were wide behind his glasses and if Minjung wasn’t completely mortified she would squeal like a baby seal because he was just so wonderful and adorable and y and…focus Minjung, focus.

 

"Earmuffs, Ms. Choi?" Jinki says eventually, his voice rough with suprirse.  "My thighs as ear muffs. That’s…"

 

Minjung lowers her head and closes the door behind her. 

 

"I know, and I’m completely embarrassed and–"

 

"Does your husband know you think of these…kind of things?"

 

Minjung’s raises her head slowly. He knows I’m not married…I think.“Uh…no?”

 

Jinki his head to the side. “Does your boyfriend know?”

 

Now Minjung is suspicious because…

 

"No…I don’t have one of those either, sir."

 

Jinki seems to contemplate her answer before leaning back in his chair, the embarrassment now morphing into something else and Minjung doesn’t really have the energy to decipher it. 

 

"Well, no harm, no foul as they say. Consider it forgotten."

 

Minjung wants to smile but she knows there is a wall of gossip building on the other side of the door that ll be a little hard to dismiss with hand wave. Still she manages one, before bowing and turning to the door.

 

"Oh, and Ms. Choi?"

 

Minjung pauses with her hand around the handle. She looks over her shoulder back at her boss. 

 

"Winter is coming." He frowns when Minjung gives him a blank stare. Winter? Col–nevermind."

 

What he says doesn’t register with Minjung until lunch. "JESUS CHRIST, WINTER IS COMING. MY EARS." 

 

She doesn’t feel bad at all that she sprayed Taeyeon with the coke she was trying to swallow. Not at all.