The First Attack

Creatures Of The Night

A/N: Hello! Sorry for the long delay; I've had mid semester exams and competency tests (I still have one more paper in two more weeks ;_;) so I couldn't really write. Had to focus on memorizing every word of the lecture notes....I'll have christmas break soon so hopefully I can finish this story during said break. In the mean time, enjoy!

 

 

Donghyun rounded the whole house, up and down, making sure all doors and windows were locked. He had increased the security of their household as much as he could without the use of magic. If only they knew a sorcerer in the town, then he would have asked for a protection ward to be erected around their house.  

 

Rubbing his eyes tiredly, Donghyun climbed the stairs and headed to his bedroom. He made a mental list to find a sorcerer first thing in the morning tomorrow. He sat on the edge of his bed and bowed his head before letting out a heavy sigh. His shoulders were down low from the heavy burden he carried. The situation was a huge catastrophic mess. He doesn’t even know how many of Sistar’s pack remained, if there was any. The only way to know was to return to their old village but that was not an option right now. Donghyun ran a hand through his platinum locks as he recalled the fight he had with Hyunseong a few hours ago.

 

“I have to find them,” Hyunseong panted, raising to his feet shakily.

 

Donghyun stepped in front of him. “You can’t. It’s too dangerous.” Hyunseong growled and fisted the older man’s shirt.

 

“Do you know what you’re saying?” he shouted. “My mate is dead and her sisters would be too if I don’t do anything!”

 

“What are you planning to do then, huh?” Donghyun snapped. “Go off howling in the woods in hopes that they would respond? Not only is that completely useless but it will also make you a very susceptible target to whoever is killing us right now!”

 

He shoved Hyunseong’s hands away from him and glanced at the petrified younger ones. “Think of the others too, Hyunseong. Do not bring danger to them.”

 

Overcome with emotions, Hyunseong snarled at him and drew back a fist. His swing was immediately blocked by the leader, whose eyes flashed dangerously at the blatant disrespect.

 

“Do not challenge me, Hyunseong. My first priority is to keep this pack safe and if I have to gag and bind you for it, then so be it," he hissed.

 

Donghyun released his fist and Hyunseong once again collapsed to his knees. Tears that he had tried to hold in cascaded down his face. His sorrowful sobs echoed throughout the house, bouncing off the stone walls. Donghyun gazed down at him sadly. His heart broke seeing his brother in such a state, but there was nothing he can do. He can’t let Hyunseong run about in the forest and jeopardize their safety. Taking a deep, calming breath, Donghyun turned to Jeongmin.

 

“Jeongmin, can you take Hyunseong back to his room?” he asked softly.

 

The brunette silently stepped forward and bent down to Hyunseong. As he lifted him up by his arms, Hyunseong buried his face in Jeongmin’s shoulder. His body shook with his sobs. Carefully, they trudged towards the stairs and headed for their bedrooms. He turned to the three youngest wolves who stood there in shock. Youngmin had his hand wrapped loosely around Kwangmin's wrist; both staring at him in fear. Donghyun approached them slowly before drawing them into his arms.

 

 

"It's okay now. Nothing is going to happen to you. I'll make sure of it."

 

 

Donghyun soon felt another set of slim arms wrapping around his back. Minwoo laid his head on Donghyun's shoulder, lips pouting from the gut-wrenching scene he had just witnessed. Together, they seek comfort in each other's arms.

 

Donghyun bit the inside of cheek, suppressing the growl that threatened to rise from his throat. His will to protect them burned intensely inside of him. Once he has the culprit in his hands, he will inflict such pain on her that she will be begging to be killed. Grabbing the edges of his shirt, Donghyun drew it over his head and dropped it on the floor. He stretched over his satin-covered bed and closed his eyes as his head hit the pillow. He was drained both mentally and physically.

 

Knock knock

 

Donghyun’s eyes flew open. He sat up with a groan, rubbing his bloodshot eyes. A glance towards the clock informed him that only ten minutes had passed since he had fallen asleep.

 

“Hyung, are you asleep?” a familiar voice whispered through the door. With a sigh, Donghyun threw back the covers and padded to the door. He swung open the mahogany wood, revealing none other than Minwoo.

 

“What is it, Minwoo?” his voice raspy from sleep. The younger boy smiled guiltily before whipping out a book from his back.

 

“I found something,” he said seriously. Pushing away his exhaustion, Donghyun turned and walked towards his desk, silently beckoning Minwoo to follow him. Minwoo shut the door behind him and took a seat on the chair opposite of Donghyun.

 

“I found this at the library today.” Minwoo placed the book on the desk on pushed it towards Donghyun. He picked it up delicately, a frown marring his face.

 

“I don’t know how legit the story is since there were so many other versions of the same story,” Minwoo continued as Donghyun flipped through the pages. “This is the only version where Red Riding Hood actually killed wolves.”

 

Donghyun reached the page that Minwoo had dog-eared. He leaned forward as he read the same disturbing passage. His frown immediately vanished, only to be replaced a look of alarm.

 

“Yah,” the leader gasped out. “this is impossible. How could the red riding hood kill wolves? She’s a human!”  

 

“I don’t know, hyung,” Minwoo shook his head vigorously. “but who else would have the motive to kill us?”

 

Donghyun slammed the book on the desk and began rubbing his face furiously. His mind was spinning with the new information. Why would the red riding hood keep on killing wolves? Their species has been in peace with the others for 500 years.

 

The door slammed open, causing the two occupants in the room to jump in fright. Jeongmin ran in, his face flushed with exertion.

 

“Hyung! Hyunseong hyung is gone!”

 

Donghyun sprang to his feet, shocked and enraged. “What?!”

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Hyunseong sat on the edge of a rooftop. In his hands was the crumpled newspaper that displayed the news of the death of his beloved. He studied the area around him; this was where he would take Bora when she visited. It was the tallest building in the city and she will get excited everytime they were there. Bora had never been to a city before. She would point out at flashing buildings and asks questions, and Hyunseong will lovingly answer them. They would spend the night in each other’s arms, just talking and enjoying the company.

 

Lowering his gaze to the paper, Hyunseong’s trembling fingers traced the picture. He met Bora when she first arrived at the village with her sisters. The pack picked up their scent in the woods and had a confrontation. The girls were too close to their territory but they soon claimed that they were harmless and was just looking for a place to stay the night. The boys kept wary eyes on them throughout the week they stayed there but true to their words, the girls packed up and left when the agreement ended. The next time they stopped over at the village, they were invited to stay permanently. Hyunseong and Bora bonded instantly; she was always happy and smiling and lights up his days. Soon, they were mated and both packs regarded each other as families.

 

Hyunseong sighed and raised his head to stare at the moon. Just a few days left for the full moon. Memories of his parents’ death suddenly entered his mind. He was born into the pack; Hyung Soo was his first cousin. His parents died after a vampire attack not long after his birth, so he was left in the care of Hyung Soo. Nights like this reminded him of the times he would visit his parents' grave and talk to them about his days.

 

With a shake of his head to rid of his thoughts, Hyunseong rose to his feet and jumped down from the ledge he was sitting on. It was probably time for him to go home and face the music. Donghyun would explode if-when he learns about his disappearance. Hyunseong didn’t really mean to sneak out, but he was feeling overwhelmed and trapped in that house. He just needed an isolated area, away from the boys, to sort out his emotions and grieve. So Hyunseong had fished out the spare key from his drawers (that Donghyun had totally forgotten ever giving to him) and snuck out his window.

 

Approaching the stairs, Hyunseong was about to climb down when his a peculiar scent invaded his sense. It was an odd scent for sure, like a mix of decayed body and-wolves? His ears picked up the dull thud on the roof behind him. Hyunseong spun around quickly. At the edge of the roof where he was once seated, stood a woman clad in a red robe.

 

Hyunseong bared his fangs and hissed dangerously. “Who are you?”

 

The woman chuckled, a low, husky voice emitting from . She stepped onto the roof and started to approach him in slow, deliberate steps.

 

“Oh my, I didn’t expect to find you so easily,” she murmured. Hyunseong growled and hissed when she got closer. “This ought to be--fun.”


She ran towards him with startling speed and precision. Hyunseong’s last memory before he was consumed beneath the red robe was of his brothers and how Donghyun was right. He had endangered them.

 

To be continued~