~-~-~

What's in a name?

I stared at the large wooden doors in front of me, vaguely wondering if I could make them open with will power alone. I wanted the music to start. I wanted to walk down the aisle. I wanted to get married and kiss my husband and hear the song his friends prepared for us and perform the traditional marriage ceremony where I have to wear that ridiculously heavy hanbok and bow to his parents and my parents...

And then Hongbin and I will start our life together.

Patience has never been my strong suit, but really, in this situation, can you blame me?

"Eunhye-ya, stay with me now..." my father smiled and placed his hand over mine. He could see I was giddy from the anticipation (and probably because I'd probably eaten less than a total of less than two normal meals in the last three days).

And then the door opened, and standing there at the other end of the aisle was Hongbin. Black tuxedo, white gloves, dimpled smile. His best friends and old group members lined up as groomsmen

I couldn't imagine spending my life with anyone else, and in that moment, everything was just... perfect.

The music started, and I tried desperately not to smile too broadly (I knew if I did, my foundation would cake) as I took my first steps towards my new life.

Hakyeon was the natural choice for emcee, and his radio experience showed as he made everyone gathered feel relaxed and welcome. At his cue, Hongbin took my hands in his and squeezed as he recited:

"I, Lee Hongbin, take you, Ma Eunhye, to be my lawful wedded wife."

And then it was my turn, and as I met his eyes, I said the words that seemed  to come to me as naturally as breathing.

"I, Ma Eunhye, take you, Lee Hongbong..."

Hakyeon coughed pointedly.

"I mean, Lee Bingbong..."

Ravi made a noise half way between a choke and a snort, and Taekwoon gave a helpful slap to his sixth vertebre.

"Kongbean."

I was panicking.

"Hongkong."

"Hongle-dongle-no-NO-NO!"

My feet were planted to the floor. I was terrified. Humiliated. Frozen.

Or was that just my feet?

Then everyone and everything around me dissolved in a sea of black. I half-opened my eyes, only to be met with the sight of a few scattered pillows and my doona, which had been kicked to the side of the bed.

I literally had cold feet.

I sniffed, pulling the cover back over me, rolled over and went back to sleep.

 

__________________

 

"Hey, Eunhye-ya, you feeling OK?"

My boyfriend Hongbin stared at me as I slowly stirred the jjigae.

"Yeah, thanks Bin-ah, I'm fine. I just haven't been sleeping well. I've waking up a lot during the night."

"Well, perhaps if you had a warm body next to you, you might sleep better?"

I turned around.

"Perhaps, I could be that warm body from now on. For... forever?

Hongbin was down on knee, on the floor of my little kitchette, a diamond ring proffered and a hopeful expression on his beautiful face.

I dropped the spoon.

Little spots of red soup, like blood splatter, littered the floorboards.

 

 


 

 

Yep, that's it. It was actually fun to write because it's so different from what I normally write (cute or angsty ). I feel like this story didn't take much effort or skill or reflection or insight, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out ^_^ It's simple. It's just a fanfic.

<3 S