Joyride.

Joyride

It could be because he was working non-stop for the past week that his Manager was going soft on him. Suddenly he was getting permission to do... well, some things. Like driving around--particularly in that sweet, red 2014 Maserati GranCabrio convertible that was used for the Kim Tan scenes. 

 

It was okay as long as someone was with him at all times. 

 

Well they never said anything about co-stars not being allowed as companions.

* * *

 

They were shooting the overhead shots of Kim Tan and Cha Eun Sang driving to the meet Kim Won at the almond farm. 

 

It was one of the rare occasions that they were actually driving on a real road and not being driven on a flatbed trailer with cameras pointed at them. They took a similar drive when their characters were on their way to Kim Tan’s school. But the drive was short, straightforward, and not as fun as this one. 

 

Something about driving in the glorious sun, the view of the ocean sparkling in the distance, and the feel of the wind in their faces that made them forget that they were working. It felt almost felt like they were two people, visiting California, enjoying their first road trip while they coasted along. 

 

There was a comfortable silence between them, but it was broken when Shin-Hye said, “Whoa!” and laughed uncontrollably after he did a particularly tricky turn. 

 

Min Ho glanced at her then and he could swear his heart skipped a beat. He was captivated by the absolute unbridled joy that was written all over her face as she looked straight ahead. And, if that couldn’t get any better, she looked over at him and their eyes met. 

 

With one look, Min Ho just lost all common sense. 

 

They were approaching the end point of the drive and a crew member was waving a  checkered flag, a signal for him to slow down and park the car on the shoulder. 

 

Seeing the flag and hearing Shin Hye’s giggles dying down just fueled his rebellion. So instead of hitting on the brakes he stepped on the accelerator.

 

The burst of speed pinned them to the back of their seats as Min Ho expertly sped past the film crew’s vehicles and signs, not to mention, surprised shouts. 

 

Shin Hye was momentarily shocked but the shot of adrenaline from the sudden acceleration kicked in and excitement pumped through her veins.

 

“Yah Kim Tan! What are you doing?” She asked, laughing nervously.

 

He laughed in response. She still hasn’t broken character. “Thought we should have a bit of fun, Shin Hye-ya.”

 

“You know they’re going to kill us, that is if you don’t manage to kill us first.”

 

He let out another guffaw of laughter. “Relax, I am not going as fast as you think I am.”

 

“I think you’re going fast enough Min-” 

 

Her retort was cut off by the shrill ring of her cellphone. She checked the screen  for the ID and wasn’t surprised to see her Manager calling. 

 

“You’ve gotten us into trouble now pabo.” She said as brought the phone to her ear she answered the phone. She then immediately held the phone away from her face, Manager Jun was yelling so loud. Min Ho laughed at the tinny sound of Manager Jun’s yells carrying over in the wind.

 

Shin-Hye shot him a stern look as she gingerly brought the phone back to her ear. 

 

“JUST WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING? Come back this instant!”

 

“Don’t yell at me Oppa, I’m not the one driving!” Shin-Hye told her Manager, trying to diffuse his anger. “Ne. We’re turning back as soon as we can manage a U-turn. Mianhae Jun-oppa. He just...” She gave him another look. 

 

“...stepped on the wrong pedal.” Shin-Hye said. Min Ho grinned widely and shook his head.

 

“No I didn’t!” he said in a sing-song voice and she swatted his arm.

 

Shin-Hye ended the call then and gave him an additional hit. “Seriously, let’s go back.”

 

Min Ho pouted. “Awww. You’re no fun.”

 

She sighed. She knew he was just taking a break from the non-stop filming. It was like everything they did now was all about The Heirs. They ate, drank, breathed, and lived out their characters from the drama. 

 

“All right. Just a little bit further. But turn back as soon as I say so, Arasso?

 

Half of his face was taken over by his huge, mischievous smile. “Daebak!” he yelled and he pushed down on the accelerator. 

 

“YA!” She shrieked as they zoomed down the road. “I said further not faster!”

 

His shout of laughter just then was glorious. She looked at him. He looked so happy. 

 

What she wouldn’t give to always see him smile like that. 

 

She didn’t want to spoil it. But they couldn’t risk getting into an accident a thousand miles away from home.  She took one last look at him and committed that moment to memory. Then she laid a hand on his leg and said, “Oppa. Slow down and let’s head back.” 

 

Her voice was thick with emotion that it made him curious enough to ease on the brakes. He parked the car on the nearest shoulder and turned to look at her. 

 

“Oppa?”

 

Her back was turned to the late afternoon sun, its light making a bright border along her silhouette. He couldn’t speak, he just stared at her. 

 

She wondered why he wasn’t talking and why he was looking at her that way. She took off her sunglasses to take a better look at him just as he took off his. 

 

And their eyes met. 

 

She bit down on her bottom lip.

 

He wet his.

 

And spellbound, they leaned ever so slowly towards each other.

 

The sound of loud honking effectively broke the moment and they jumped in their seats. 

 

The screech of brakes. The slamming of doors. The yelling. 

 

He could hear all of that but he wasn’t listening. All he heard was Shin Hye, who was quickly undoing her seatbelt and  disembarking the car. 

 

"Jun-Oppa!" she yelled as she ran towards her manager. 

 

He couldn't hear the older man's yells. All that mattered to Min Ho was the sound of her voice.  

 

“I told you we were on our way!” she said.

 

A slow smile spread across his face as a thought occurred to him then. 

 

Are we? Are we on our way, Shin Hye?

 

He looked at the reflection of her and her manager in the rearview mirror. And the memory of her lit aflame by the sun flashed through his brain.

 

I know I am, he thought, still smiling as he put his sunglasses back on, opened the door and got out of the car.