Of uncooperative maps and new meetings

Wallflowers

Paris. Capital of France. City of Lovers. The most beautiful city in the world. And the most confusing. At least if your name is Jung Yunho and you're a twenty-year-old running away from a gloomy future as an unwilling chaebol.

Yunho cursed silently when he tried to fold the oversized map that he just couldn't make sense of. Giving up on trying to find "this awesome seafood restaurant called La Mer" that his older sister Jihye had recommended, he sighed and went to the nearest place that sold food.

Hoping that he'd ordered a clam pasta with his close to non-existent French, Yunho leaned back in his chair and looked at the people passing by on the street, amusing himself by imagining their life stories, deciding that if he was already lost he might as well take a proper break. At least the weather was nice and he got a good spot on the terrace.

As he was enjoying his lunch, finding a small victory when the dish he'd hoped for actually turned up, watching the people passing by, a person standing in the middle of the big plaza caught his attention. It was a young man, possibly Asian, although Yunho couldn't tell for sure from the distance. The fact that the guy had blond hair didn't make it any easier. He seemed to be Yunho's age, dressed comfortably in black jeans, a white printed T-shirt, a red-and-white checkered shirt and a green jacket, a camera hanging around his neck. What caught Yunho's attention was the guy's smile, radiating like the sun as a couple of the pigeons he was feeding came up and sat on his arm.

Heh, a real life Disney princess, Yunho thought, smiling into his pasta. Maybe it was the setting, maybe it was the guy's unveiled joy, maybe he was getting sun , but Yunho suddenly felt quite romantic, for no apparent reason at all.

Yunho kept watching the guy, trying not to get caught staring like a creep, as the other chased the pigeons for a moment, quickly taking a picture as they flew away into the sun. Yunho watched the other guy buy an ice cream from a vendor on the plaza, look around for a place to sit down and opt for a bench just across the street from where Yunho was sitting. Yunho quickly looked down into the practically empty Café au Lait he was drinking, hoping that the other hadn't caught him staring.

What he didn't notice while examining the last drops of his coffee like they were the most intriguing phenomenon in the world was that his person of interest had very much noticed Yunho, as well as said man's interest in him.

Smiling softly, Kim Jaejoong finished the last of his ice cream before promptly standing up and crossing the street, ambling towards the terrace Yunho was just leaving.

- Excuse me, he said in English, startling the chaebol, who really hadn't seen him coming up from behind.

- Huh? Oh, uhm, yeah? Yunho suddenly forgot every single word of English he'd ever learnt. On the plus side, he knew for sure that the guy was Asian now.

- Do you speak Korean?

Thank you GOD.

- Yes, I do, Yunho said, smiling nervously.

- Oh, good. I know we're strangers and this is weird, but was hoping I might ask you for a favour. The guy held up his camera. - Would you mind taking a picture of me on the bridge over there? The guy pointed towards a pretty bridge on the other side of the big plaza, almost 150 metres away.

- Uh, sure, why not? Yunho said, happy and nervous to be spending a couple of minutes with the guy.

As they slowly strolled towards the bridge, they made some small talk. Once introductions were made, it was established that they were both lost in the big city, although in Jaejoong's case it had been a choice.

- If you decide your route before you even get to your destination, and if you walk around according to some kind of checklist, then you'll only see the things that others have liked. I prefer to find my own treasures and favourite places.

- Makes sense, but don't you want to see any of the big things, like Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower? Yunho asked.

- I've already seen the Eiffel Tower, and I might get to the cathedral eventually. If not, I'll come back another time. That's the beauty of modern travel. You can go as many times as you want, Jaejoong said with a smile, taking a picture of a street artist before they crossed the street that lead up to the bridge.

- This looks like a good place, Jaejoong said thoughtfully before climbing up on the stone railing, sitting down so that he could dangle his feet over the water, giving Yunho a small heart attack in the process.

- Are you sure that's safe? Yunho asked, mentally scolding himself for playing mother hen for a grown man.

- I got it, no problem, Jaejoong said, and of course he was right. - Just take the picture quickly if you're worried. As Yunho counted down from three, Jaejoong smiled and waved into the camera, and the chaebol could feel his heart skip a beat. This guy had a really special attraction about him, that much was certain.

- There, done. Almost bitter at the fact that it didn't take longer time to take a photo, Yunho helped Jaejoong down from the railing. The blond guy's hand was small and soft against his own, pale against his own tanned skin. If Yunho had had such guts, he would have taken a snapshot of their hands.

But he didn't have such guts. Instead, he had to put all his effort on not stuttering when answering Jaejoong's words of thanks.

- My pleasure.

A moment's awkward silence arose when neither wanted to part, but neither knew what the next natural step should be. After all, they were technically nothing but strangers.

- Yunho-sshi? Jaejoong asked suddenly, and the honorific felt almost comically out of place. Even if it had just been a few minutes, it was so comfortable spending time with Jaejoong that Yunho felt no need for that kind of polite distance.

- Just Yunho.

Jaejoong smiled awkwardly. God, he was beautiful when he smiled.

- Yunho. I was just thinking, no pressure or anything, I'll understand completely if you don't want to, I mean we just met, it's kind of a weird thing to say, but-

- Jaejoong-sshi. You're rambling. What are you trying to say?

- Just Jaejoong, the other said, repeating Yunho's phrase from earlier. - I just got this idea, you know?

- Hmm?

- We're both lost, and we're both travelling alone. What do you say we partner up? It's always more fun to do things together, even if it is with a stranger.

Jaejoong looked to the ground, shuffling his feet nervously while waiting for an answer, hoping it wouldn't be anything along the line of "whoa, clingy much, creep?"

- I'd love that, Yunho said.

- Really? Jaejoong exclaimed, unable to believe his ears.

- Really. It sounds like a great idea. Plus I get to spend every moment getting to know you better.

- Great!

- Yeah, so where to next?

- Umm, why don't we continue down this street? It looks nice.

- Sure. Let me just check if there are any sights nearb- Yunho was stopped in his attempt to unfold the map by Jaejoong's hand on his arm.

- Yunho-yah. Forget the map. We're already lost, you don't need it anymore.

- Yeah, but eventually I'll have to go back to the hotel, won't I?

- Have you written down the address?

- Yeah, it's in my phone.

- Then you'll call a taxi, show them the note and they'll find it for you. Piece of cake.

Deciding that Jaejoong was right, Yunho dropped the crumpled mess of a map in the nearest waste bin. Find our own treasures. Right. Treasure number one: Kim Jaejoong, two days older than me.


A/N

So this story came to life for two reasons: my recent obsession with Bonjour Paris, and a tumblr post (one of those "imagine your otp" things) that I just couldn't get out of my head and intend to work into a later chapter.

This is the picture they took on the bridge:

So what do you think so far? Let me know in the comments (^3^)