Chapter One

A of Luck

Glancing up at the clock on the practice room wall, Taekwoon shook his head, sighing as his bangs fell over his tired eyes. He’d done it again, working well into the early morning hours, trying to perfect his latest composition. Yawning, he stretched slowly, his well-muscled arms rising over his head, his body aching a little, having remained in the same spot for too long. Standing, Taekwoon touched his toes a few times, feeling better now that he was moving again, his hand reaching up to brush his hair off his face, revealing his usual calm, controlled expression. Knowing he needed to get some sleep before his schedule started, even though he’d be lucky to get a few hours, he flipped off the light, shutting the door behind himself with a muted click as he left the small practice room. Making his way through the larger dance studio, his feet, clad only in socks, padding noiselessly across the wooden floor, he headed to the stairs that led to the VIXX dorm. About to open the stairwell door, his warm bed the only thing on his mind, Taekwoon heard an odd sound. Stopping short, his brow furrowing, he listened carefully, his hand resting on the doorknob. The sound was muffled, but he was sure he knew what it was. Somewhere, nearby, someone was crying.

 

The dance studio was dark, the dim light over the door unable to illuminate all the shadows. Turning, Taekwoon said, his words more a demand than a question, “Who’s there?”  He heard someone stifle a sob, the room suddenly growing eerily quiet.

 

Frowning, Taekwoon insisted, “Speak up. I know someone is here. Don’t make me have to find you.”

 

Soft rustling sounds drew Taekwoon’s attention, and he watched as a tall, thin figure emerged from one gloomy corner of the room. As his eyes adjusted, Taekwoon realized he was staring at the youngest member of VIXX, the maknae Sanghyuk.

 

Never one to be gregarious, Taekwoon asked, his soft voice reaching across the room to his younger band mate, “What are you doing here, Sanghyuk? You should be in bed.”

 

Taekwoon’s quiet demeanor did little to dampen his strong presence, and Sanghyuk felt compelled to answer him.

 

“I just wanted to be alone, hyung.” Sanghyuk rocked on his heels nervously as he continued, “I didn’t know anyone was still here. I’m sorry if I disturbed you. Mianhae.” Sanghyuk bowed, keeping his eyes down, tugging at the sleeve of his well-worn hoodie, hoping that Taekwoon would let him scamper back to his room without any further inquiry.

 

Surprised to find the maknae hiding, Taekwoon could feel his heart jump a little at the thought of being alone with Sanghyuk. Though things had initially been uncomfortable between the maknae and his hyung, Taekwoon knew that there was something about his younger band mate that always captured his interest. Though the main singer hated interviews, photoshoots and all the other responsibilities of being an idol, he often surrendered to his maknae’s manipulations, even allowing him to manhandle him into the proper position for the cameras that he hated so much or tolerating the younger’s encouragement to perform his awkward aegyo. Though he wouldn’t admit his feelings, after hearing Sanghyuk’s tears, Taekwoon was worried about the maknae. Moving across the room when Sanghyuk made no effort to approach him, Taekwoon brushed the younger’s hoodie back, lifting his chin, searching his face. Unable to read Sanghyuk’s expression, first because of his own inexperience in dealing with his younger band mate’s problems and secondly because Sanghyuk’s eyes were partially hidden by the fringe of dark hair that fell over his forehead, Taekwoon shrugged, resigned to asking for more information as much as he hated the idea.

 

“Why have you been crying, Hyuk?” The question was straightforward, but there was a quality of gentleness in Taekwoon’s voice that made Sanghyuk start to cry again, his face still wet from his original bout of tears. Disconcerted, Taekwoon stood before Hyuk, involuntarily clenching his hands into fists as he tried to figure out what to do to help his disconsolate maknae.

 

Flustered, worried he was doing all the wrong things, Taekwoon decided to offer up VIXX’s resident umma, mumbling, “Do you want me to go and get Hakyeon for you?”

 

Ready to turn and make a hasty retreat, Taekwoon was surprised when he felt Sanghyuk clutching at his arm, his skin tingling where the younger gripped his bicep.

 

“Please, hyung, don’t tell N hyung about this,” the younger begged, his voice breaking. “Please! It will only make him worry and hover more than he already does.”

 

Taekwoon understood Sanghyuk’s concerns. Hakyeon mothered every member of VIXX in a rough, domineering sort of a way, and the leader had a particular interest in the maknae. If Hakyeon found out that Sanghyuk was hiding in the dance studio, crying, he’d cling to him, hounding him until the maknae spilled everything.

 

Completely out of character, Taekwoon said softly, “I won’t say anything to Hakyeon, but I want you to explain yourself to me. It will just be between the two of us.”

 

Sanghyuk’s eyes widened. The hyung that scared him back in their pre-debut days was offering to listen to his problems? Astonished, Sanghyuk stared at his feet, his hand still tightly grasping his hyung’s arm. It was only when Taekwoon cleared his throat that Sanghyuk finally reacted.

 

Taking a step back, his hand falling to his side, Sanghyuk murmured, “Alright, hyung. I’ll try to explain.” Looking up, meeting Taekwoon’s eyes, Sanghyuk added, “Please don’t laugh at me, hyung. I know my problem will sound silly to you.”

 

Taking a deep breath, Taekwoon nodded, hoping his silence would encourage Sanghyuk to speak. He wasn’t sure if he was up to the task of giving his maknae advice and encouragement, but he knew he would try his best, especially for Sanghyuk.

 

Tilting his head, his voice the usual soft lilt, he murmured, “Go ahead, Sanghyuk. I promise I won’t laugh.”

 

Sanghyuk chewed on his lower lip for a moment, trying to collect his thoughts. Wiping his face, he swallowed hard, then he began to explain himself.

 

“I’ve been practicing my singing. Ever since my voice cracked on the radio show the other day, I’ve been trying to improve. I heard everyone's laughter, and I know you all were disappointed in me, and I don’t want to let you all down...”  Sanghyuk’s voice trailed off. What he didn’t add was he had particularly heard Taekwoon’s laughter, and it had hurt him to his core to know that he’d let down the hyung that meant so much to him.

 

Taekwoon’s face dropped, remembering the burst of laughter that had escaped his lips when Sanghyuk’s voice had failed him. He wanted to reassure his maknae that the laughter was more from surprise than malice, but before he could speak, Sanghyuk continued.

 

“I want to get better, hyung. I know I didn’t train as long as the rest of you. I’m just worried. What if it never happens? What if this is as good as I’ll ever be?”

 

Taekwoon was surprised, but impressed, that Sanghyuk took his singing so seriously. Not used to giving advice, he thought for a few moments, then, nodding softly, he moved closer to his maknae.

 

“Every singer’s voice cracks at one time or another, Sanghyuk. Don’t you remember the times that mine has? But you have a good voice, a strong voice, and I know you’ll only get better because you’ve already improved so much since we debuted.”

 

Placing his hand on Sanghyuk’s shoulder, Taekwoon added, “I know it seems worrisome when your voice fails you, but practicing here, alone in the dark, probably didn’t help your mood, did it?”

 

Biting his lip, his hyung’s hand warming his skin through his shirt, Sanghyuk tried to remain calm. Taekwoon had frightened him when they’d first met, but from the moment Ravi insisted that the two awkward band mates share a forehead kiss, Sanghyuk’s feelings had changed. When his forehead touched his hyung’s, he knew that the fear that he had felt was gone, replaced with what Sanghyuk told himself was admiration, but what he knew was something more. To have his hyung so close to him, his soft voice so comforting, it was something Sanghyuk thought could only happen in a dream. Lost in his reverie, he blinked when Taekwoon squeezed his shoulder, aware that his hyung was staring at him. Clearing his throat, Sanghyuk managed to respond to his hyung’s question, his voice sounding oddly thin and shaky to his ear.

 

“You’re right, hyung,” Sanghyuk admitted. “I thought practicing here alone would make me feel better, but it only made me feel worse. I guess I really needed someone to talk to...”

 

Taekwoon wasn’t sure what had come over him, but he found himself patting Sanghyuk’s arm, not to discipline his maknae but to commiserate with him. When he next spoke, he wondered if someone else was in the room because the words that came out of his mouth didn’t sound like him at all, but it was too late to take them back.

 

“How about I work with you, Hyuk ah? I know I can help you improve, and you won’t have to worry anymore.”

 

Taekwoon’s surprise at his own words, however, was nothing compared to the shock he felt when his maknae’s arms wrapped around him, the younger impulsively thanking his hyung with a tight hug. Taekwoon’s body froze as he felt Sanghyuk’s warm body flush with his own, his maknae’s arms fast around his neck, as he whispered into his hyung’s ear.

 

“Thank you, Taekwoon hyung. Thank you so much. I’ve been so worried, and I didn’t want to bother you, but to know that you’re willing to help me...” Sanghyuk stumbled over his words, taking in a shaky breath. “It means so much to me that you care.”

 

Pulling away from the hug, his arms still secure around Taekwoon, Sanghyuk stared at his hyung, unable or unwilling to say more about his feelings. His face was only inches from Taekwoon’s, and they each could feel the other’s breath fanning across their skin. Taekwoon was confused, but he knew, without a doubt, what he wanted to do. Not uttering a word, he pressed his lips against his maknae’s, kissing him fervently, his arms sliding around the younger’s waist as he yanked him closer, not wanting any distance between them.

 

Taekwoon had always thought falling in love would be a slow, complex process, a long courtship where a couple would get to know each other over an extended period of time. Having fought his feelings for Sanghyuk every step of the way, his love had been unacknowledged since he was sure that his maknae didn’t return his feelings, seeing him as his hyung, not his boyfriend.  As he and Sanghyuk clutched at each other, their lips greedy for a connection, the soft, sound of their kiss reverberating around the room, Taekwoon knew the idea of a slowly developing relationship was pointless. Taekwoon had fallen hard, fast and completely the moment his lips touched Sanghyuk’s mouth.

 

As far as first kisses went, it may not have been the most dramatic kiss ever, the two of them clutching at each other clumsily, their lips pressed together in a tentative embrace, but it was revelatory. Taekwoon’s heart was pounding, an odd, tingling sensation racing through his body, as he held his maknae close.

 

“So this is what love feels like,” he thought as his mouth pulled on  Sanghyuk’s mouth gently, their chests rubbing as they moved closer still.

 

It suddenly dawned on Taekwoon that it wasn’t just a compulsion for perfection that had driven him to work late hours every day. The work was a distraction from what he didn’t want to think about: his maknae meant a lot more to him than he cared to admit. Locked in an awkward embrace, there was no hiding the fact any longer that Jung Taekwoon was in love with Han Sanghyuk.

 

Taekwoon marveled at how much of life was a matter of luck. If Sanghyuk's voice hadn't cracked, if Taekwoon hadn’t solve his problems by hiding in the practice rooms, working until he was exhausted, if Sanghyuk hadn't sobbed at the very moment Taekwoon was about to open the dance studio door, the two of them might not have realized how they felt about each other. Laughing inwardly, Taekwoon hoped that none of these chance happenings really mattered. Even if he and Sanghyuk had passed each other in the night, Taekwoon was confident that their feelings would have been revealed eventually. As he held his maknae in his arms, Taekwoon was convinced it wasn't just luck that brought them together. Ultimately, he and Sanghyuk were meant to be together, and while luck may have spurred this epiphany, it was inevitable that the two of them would fall in love.

 

 

Or maybe, Taekwoon reflected, he was thinking too much. Smiling one of his rare smiles, his lips molding perfectly against Sanghyuk’s lips, Taekwoon decided it didn’t really matter whether it was luck or fate that had brought the two of them together. As their arms tightened around each other, all Taekwoon was really sure about was that he never wanted to let Sanghyuk go.

 


 

Author’s Note: It’s been a year since I posted a story. I’m getting back in the groove with my writing, and I hope to finish my chaptered trilogy on ToDae at some point. This one shot was a way of getting myself used to writing again. If people show any interest, I hope to write a series of one shots, both fluff and , about VIXX couples. Please comment because I love to hear from my readers. It gives me the motivation to keep writing. Thanks!