Kyungsoo's neurons

Apprehensive Kyungsoo

Do Kyungsoo, 19, has had this serious habit with spluttering large, colossal and megalithic –words.

In any case scenario, one could clearly see with the way he fumbles with his demeanor, his posture always seemingly perfect with his school uniform pristine, that he was and still is, as-a-matter-of-fact, respected. Head of the Student’s Council and Debate team; one would simply come to a conclusion that he would have no problem with asking a female, 18, head of the Astronomy Club, out on a simple date.

Jongin, Kyungsoo’s best friend, knew otherwise.

“You like this girl so much; it’s like you’re on a leash.” He comments one day, eyes locked on Kyungsoo’s fixated gaze on his stunning crush, So Eun. Kyungsoo doesn’t digest Jongin’s statement until twenty seconds afterwards with his hand whacking on the latter’s thick-skull. Jongin chokes on his sweet potatoes.

“I don’t see your point,” his snarky comeback only causes Jongin to smirk in between chewing his lunch. Kyungsoo narrows his eyes at the rest of his friends who side with Jongin completely, except that they know how violent Kyungsoo can be when he’s agitated hence they keep their teasing amongst themselves. Sehun, however, comments bravely. “You literally stare at So Eun all the time, hyung.”

“I refute that.”

“At least he doesn’t know that she’s going to be dating that guy Luhan from the Mathletes,” Chanyeol teases. Obviously it was a lie but it had always been amusing to them to see Kyungsoo all riled up and prissy.

“That’s preposterous,” Kyungsoo says, food still in his mouth and cornering around the edges of his lips. “I’ve never seen them interact –at all. Except for that one time where he lent her his Math homework.”

“Proves you always know something, doesn’t it?” Jongin now muses at the sight that presents itself. A fork lands inches away from Jongin’s chest, but the sticky pasta still adjusts itself on his black vest. “Gosh hyung, I just washed this.”

“Either way,” Chanyeol interrupts. “He’s probably going to propose to her today –at lunch,”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen at the new piece of information Chanyeol states, ultimately choking in the midst of processing his words. He doesn’t know what to fathom, nor does he want to ponder on the detrimental effects this so called boy named Luhan could possibly do to jeopardize his chances of creating a societal bond with his adorned other. Jongin pats his back and the rest of his peers snicker in response.

“He couldn’t possibly,” Kyungsoo attempts to argue.

The bell rings, flooding Kyungsoo’s mind with his uncompleted History homework and the rest of the crowd disperses like ash and dust. He slurps the last remnants of his unfinished home-made pasta only to witness brown ringlets cascading a familiar face accompanied by Luhan tailing behind her with an etched smirk plastered across his milky-white complexion.

Kyungsoo’s heart shatters.

 

 

It takes one hour and fifteen minutes for Kyungsoo to realize that he needs to take immediate action to initiate a stimulating conversation with So Eun.

It also takes another ten minutes for Kyungsoo to place a palm on his forehead because , he doesn’t know how to.

Five minutes afterwards, when they’re all dismissed, Kyungsoo uses the pads of his fingers to pat So Eun on the right shoulder. She turns around out of response. “Hi,” she utters with utmost sincerity and confusion. “Kyungsoo from English class, right?”

“Uh,” he balks. “Yeah,”

“Did I leave my homework again?” she prays she didn’t for it had happened the previous day, her resonating voice causing Kyungsoo to shrivel in nervousness. Kyungsoo shakes his head to the left and right hence she asks him another question. “Is there something you need to tell me?”

He immediately regrets patting her shoulder. “Yeah, uhm.”

“Hm?”

He stares at her lips and tries to control himself.

is left agape when she witnesses him run in the opposite direction.

 

It’s a few minutes before lunch and Kyungsoo is now currently doubting his life choices in the boys’ bathroom. He splashes cold water on his face; he notices that his lips are dry, his palms are sweaty and he’s basically beginning to stutter. “So Eun,” he practices in the mirror with a tone of seriousness at the edge of attempting to be sweet. “We should really go out,”

“No,” he slaps himself across the face. He wasn’t going anywhere with this type of approach.

“Hey babe,” he tries again, harrumphing in the end of attempting to portray himself as a bad boy. He practically ran away from her moments ago.

He slings his backpack over his shoulder, adjusting the straps and chants a mantra; screw it –because if he gets rejected, it’s probably because he’s not a physical embodiment of what’s considered attractive according to societal definitions but at least he’s an above average in every single aspect of his life. He supposes that feeling dejected was a way to bask in the fact that he’s going through a phase that goes by the phrasing of; teenage rebellion.

He stops So Eun midway on her way to the cafeteria.

“So Eun!” he yells this time.

She turns around and is faced with a mop of hair in Kyungsoo’s face.

“Do you uh,” Kyungsoo fumbles with his string of words and restrains himself for meddling with the hem of his shirt; eyes fixated on the concrete pavement that dictates his entire life’s existence –which dwindles down to his unarranged knots of neurons screwing his speech due to lack of social bonding. “Want to go out sometime?”

She laughs, her contagious smile ultimately infecting Kyungsoo, turning his entire face a light shade of pink and red. So Eun’s friends gawk at the scene they’re witnessing, feeling intrusive and invading. In the end, So Eun excuses her friends whilst she walks to Kyungsoo in light steps, her frilly skirt sashaying in the autumn breeze; his shoulders are slumped.

“Are you asking me out on a date?” her head is at the same height as Kyungsoo’s small upper frame; particularly his shoulders, albeit he being at least three inches taller than her. He lifts his droopy eyelids only to witness her lips coming to a close with his. “Coffee,” he specifies with a nod.

She takes a few steps back. “I don’t drink coffee,”

“Tea then!” he replies almost immediately. “Or chocolate?” eyes full of worry, lips full of mourning and desire.

“Do you like books?” she takes an inquiry of his dilated pupils and agape mouth as hesitation. However his response is the opposite of his portrayal. “Love them, I like reading Legal Solutions,”

“What?” she’s confused but she flashes a smile either way because he’s nervous and he’s adorable to the whims of her girly fantasies. “I’ve never read that.”

“It’s good!” he tries to elaborate but immediately stops when he sees her raise an eyebrow. “You happen to like anything related to law?”

“I’ve always wanted to own a law firm, so yes,” she purses her lips and stares at the clock hung above Kyungsoo’s head –meters above. “Hey,”

“Yeah?” Kyungsoo responds.

“Do you want to have lunch with me?” she seems to be really interested in his presence, Kyungsoo takes notice (but doesn’t want to appear overconfident) therefore he just simply nods and eventually falls into step with her. They pass through the double doors with Kyungsoo’s friends gawking at him from afar.

Luhan ultimately comes and creates a sour surrounding on Kyungsoo’s behalf.

“Yah,” he hollers for So Eun. “Dating already?”

“Oppa,” Kyungsoo cringes at So Eun’s term of endearment. “Be grateful that I’m not into guys that are bad boys.”

“Whatever, I’ll see you at home, yeah?”

“Loser,” she yells.

Kyungsoo blinks rapidly for the first five seconds and questions the next five. “You two live together?”

“He’s my brother.” She shakes her head in embarrassment. “Why?”

He begs for So Eun to not notice his supportive, albeit embarrassing friends –screaming at the top of their lungs from the microphone they had him wear dangling around his neck.

He also can’t wait to punch Chanyeol across the face.