Chapter 1

Luminance

1. Seeing her 

 

Krystal sat down quietly, making sure her chair didn't make a screeching noise. Nobody noticed her coming into the room, all except for her arch nemesis Im Jae Bum. JB's eyes were automatically drawn to her as she entered the classroom, keeping her head down and her hood pulled over her head, Krystal pulled her ear phones and book out of her bag and began to read earnestly. JB continued looking at the girl, so absorbed in her own world that she was oblivious to all of her surroundings. He got up from his seat with an agile grace of a dancer and headed over to Krystal's table and snatched up her book. 

"Yah!" Krystal looked up at the person who stole her bok, it was none other than the guy who had made her life miserable in junior school.

"What is this you are reading, another one of your lame romance novels?" JB teased.

"None of your business." She stood up and made a useless attempt of grabbing the book. As she reached out, she couldn't help noticing the way his messy hair fell across his forehead, catching the rays of sunlight. Or the way his beautiful brown eyes gazed down at her with an unfathomable expression. Or the way his lopsided smile made her heart flutter. Or the way he--

Krystal was ever so grateful that the teacher chose this moment to enter the room, making her snap out of her dazed trance and making JB drop the book onto her desk and sliding quietly back to his own desk. Krystal glared holes into JB's back, once again wondering why on earth he enjoyed bothering her so much. There was something else on her mind too, but she refused to acknowledge it. Why he made her feel this way. It was probably just the rush of anger, she told herself firmly. There is no way I can have feelings for JB, after the way he has treated me...

JB felt someone's heavy gaze on his back. In the back of his mind he secretly wished it was Krystal, but he didn't know why. Just then he realized that trailing behind the teacher was a boy who looked about the same age as him, keeping his eyes steadily trained to the floor and carefully avoiding any eye contact. The new boy's hair was pinkish red, catching his attention straight away. He's bold or maybe rebellious, JB thought, we might make good friends. Sporting his own blonde hair, girls in his class had quickly formed a fan club keeping track of his constant change in hair colour; it made him feel like an idol. JB had always considered himself easily the handsomest boy in his class, but when the new boy looked up, he decided maybe he had some competition after all.

The new boy looked up, his eyes instantly meeting hers. Krystal was taken aback by the intensity of his gaze, his eyes were dark brown with tiny flecks of green, they were undeniably beautiful. She remembered reading somewhere that the eyes were the window to the soul, and looking into this stranger's eyes she could see a touch of sadness and something that just seemed broken about him. Maybe it was just her imagination. As the new boy's eyes met hers, it widened just a fraction, just enough to show that he was surprised at what he saw, but then he quickly looked away, seemingly bewildered by his own reaction.

The teacher introduced the new boy as Mark, saying that he should say something quick to the class before they began their lesson. Mark hated talking to big amounts of people, so he kept his words to a minimum. 

"Well, you know my name, so I guess I hope we become friends."

The class clown Jackson gave him a thumbs up.

"I like this one. No wasted words at all." Jackson shouted out.

The class laughed and applauded Mark in response. Ah the class clown, every class has one of those, Mark thought, I guess that was a good enough reaction. Amongst the noise he thought he heard the teacher telling him to go and sit next to the girl he made eye contact with, but as he turned his attention to her his heart only pounded heavily in response. 

"Mark, please in the empty seat next to Krystal," the teacher motioned towards the girl impatiently.

Mark nodded hastily at the teacher and immediately slumped into his seat. The girl was stunning, her face was devoid of makeup but she still managed to look beautiful, her eyes that captured his were dark brown, they were framed with thick lashes that seemed to emphasise the slight light brown in her irises; what shocked him was not her beauty but the look of somewhat curiousity and what was it, love? He had never met someone whose eyes seemed to be filled with so much wonder and love. Was this love at first sight? Of course not, to Mark, love did not exist. Mark thought he was incapable of ever loving anyone, after experiencing the failure of his parent's marriage, he believed that love was just destruction. But has this girl already changed him?

Krystal looked over at Mark, only to realize that he was not so subtly looking at her. Was there something on her face? She self conciously touched her face, trying the rid herself of the reason the new boy kept staring at her. She tilted her head slightly just to ask him a wordless question of why he was looking at her, but all he did was blush a light pink in response. He looks cute like that, she inwardly said to herself, she then scolded herself for instantly taking a liking to the new boy, you don't even know him yet, he might end up being like that jerk Im Jae Bum. She nodded in agreement to herself, not noticing the slight raise of an eyebrow of not only Mark but another onlooker. 

She's kind of pretty when she does that, JB thought, as Krystal brushes a stray curl to the back of her ear. JB noticed the new boy constantly glancing at Krystal, maybe he likes her, woah that's fast, he thought. But deep inside he felt a stab of jealously as Krystal returned some of those gazes when Mark wasn't looking. That's strange though, why do I care who Krystal is looking at, he thought, she's just the girl I like to make fun of. JB had never asked himself a question that deep in his heart he never wanted to answer, it was why he had to bother the quiet girl Kim Krystal? Was it because he didn't like her? No it wasn't. Maybe it's because you want her to look at you, to talk to you, you idiot, his heart answered for it. But was it true, was he in fact in love with Kim Krystal?