final.

Vertigo

Irene was bored. So bored that she even decided to go to a café just to feast her eyes with beautiful people, women to be specific. Yes, she is gay. And it had been a while since she stumbled upon someone pretty enough to make her ask the person out. She didn’t need the coffee actually but she figured that it wouldn’t hurt to have one. It would be weird of her not to order anything at the café.

 

Irene propped her chin on her palm, waiting for her order to arrive and whilst doing so, her eyes landed on a girl on stage as she took a glimpse around the café. The girl was rather pretty, up to her standard she thought. Irene could notice a little bit of English features on the girl’s face and that drew her in even more.

 

From the looks of it, the beautiful stranger was about to perform on the little stage. Irene was glad that she was one of the few people in the café who get to witness the girl performing. She had a feeling that it was going to be a special one, and an amazing one at that.

 

And she was damn right.

 

Irene was already blown away, the second her performance started.

 

-

 

“Would you be interested in teaching me how to play?”

 

“Sorry, I’ve already got enough students in my hands,” Wendy smiled politely, pushing her way through the door as she slung her backpack over her shoulder. She’s not an idiot. She knew exactly the game Irene was playing. She had people requesting her to be their teacher only to find out that they were trying to hit on her. And Irene seems like one of those people.

 

Well, she’s right on the spot actually.

 

“I’ll pay you double your usual fee,” Irene tried to persuade the pianist, trying to catch up with the girl but her heels was preventing her from doing so. Irene had to stop running after Wendy, to prevent herself from slipping on the wet streets. Oh why on earth does she have to wear heels that day?

 

“How about triple then?!”

 

That was all it took for Wendy to finally turn around to face Irene.

 

“Fine.”

 

-

 

“Oh wow, I never knew you were this good unnie,” Joy watched Irene in amazement, the older girl pressing down on the keys flawlessly. It was her first time watching Irene playing the piano and it was blowing her off her feet to be honest. She never knew that Irene had the talents in playing musical instruments, or as a matter of fact, playing classical music. Irene was more of an electronic pop fan so seeing her playing a Beethoven piece was unexpected of her.

 

“Achoo,” Irene sneezed, her hands still glued on the piano.

 

“Bless you unnie.”

 

“Thank you,” Irene retracted her hands, grabbing a tissue for herself and it was then Joy had realized that she had been tricked all along. The piano still went on playing despite of the fact that Irene was no longer playing. How deceitful, really.

 

“Seriously, a player piano? Unless Wendy’s an idiot she’s never gonna fall for that.”

 

“Well, you fell for it,” Irene grinned, quirking her brow as she threw the balled up tissue to a nearby bin.

 

“…I’m very trusting,” Joy awkwardly cleared up and tried to change the subject. “So what is Wendy like?”

 

“Well, she’s beautiful and talented. And she’s everything that is perfect with the world,” Irene sighed dreamily, a smile plastered on her face. “She makes me want to appear to be a better person. Which is why I bought the piano.”

 

“…Uh huh.”

 

It was Joy’s turn to sigh. She love Irene, she really does but the older girl could be such an idiot at times.

 

It wasn’t long after that where the bell rang and Irene immediately rushed to get the door, hoping that it was the person whom she had been waiting all along and it indeed was. Wendy looked rather surprised for some reason.

 

“Was that you playing just now?”

 

“Welcome Wendy! And yes, that was me,” Irene chuckled heartily.

 

“Wow, that was wonderful I must say.”

 

“Why thank you. Playing a piano is kind of like riding a bike you know,” Irene smiled charmingly, resting her arm against the doorframe. “Once you learn you never forget.”

 

Joy could only rolled her eyes at the crap that Irene was spouting and her eyes immediately landed on a small creature on top of the piano, a cricket to be exact. “Shh, there’s a cricket on the piano,” she hushed, rolling a magazine in her hand before tip-toeing her way to the wooden case. One thing Joy had forgotten about the piano, was the fact that it was a player piano so the moment she hit the cricket on the keys, the player immediately went off, setting the piano to play on its own.

 

Wendy’s face fell upon the scene unfolding in front of her and she instantly averted her gaze to the girl next to her, the latter smiling sheepishly in return.

 

“Also, I don’t know how to ride a bike.”

 

“We’ve got a long night ahead of us then,” Wendy shook her head with a sigh. She kept reminding herself that it was the money that kept her seeing this crazy and yet, beautiful woman. In fact, she’s one of the most beautiful women Wendy had ever encountered in her life but Irene was just not her type.

 

“My bed’s all ready for that-“

 

“I meant your piano lessons,” she replied shortly, shooting a glare towards Irene.

 

“Well, we could do it on the piano too if you want.”

 

-

 

Day 7

 

Wendy almost choked on air, seeing Irene walking down the stairs with only her nightgown on, her hair rather unkempt. In a y way. “What on earth are you wearing?” she hissed, her cheeks blushing furiously.

 

“Huh? I just woke up from a nap,” Irene batted her lashes innocently for a few times.

 

“G-Go change into something else. Please.”

 

“I shouldn’t keep you waiting though,” Irene purred, a playful smirk playing on her face. Just a few moments after, Joy returned to the living room with a glass of water for the piano instructor and raised her brows questioningly at the sight of Irene looking rather indecent.

 

“Oh unnie, why are you wearing that? I swore that you were in your tracksuit earlier-“

 

“Hush Joy,” Irene bit her lip nervously, watching Wendy’s expression change right away.

 

“Did you lie to me Bae Joohyun?”

 

“M-Maybe? Ahaha,” Irene laughed awkwardly and scratched her nape.

 

“Extra 30 minutes for your lesson. No breaks,” Wendy quickly dismissed the older girl and Irene slowly shuffled away to her bedroom to change into something more decent, muttering incoherent curses meant for Joy.

 

“…Water?” Joy held out the glass of water to Wendy, to which she took gratefully.

 

“Yes please. Thank you.”

 

-

 

Day 14

 

“I get to have a ten minute break right?” Irene looked over to Wendy, her eyes hopeful and the latter did in fact promised her a ten minutes break if she get to master the song ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ that she had assigned a week ago. Irene was rather a quick learner if Wendy must say. It had only been two weeks since Irene started her lessons and the girl had already gotten the basics down that she was able to play a simple song.

 

“Yes, you may,” Wendy flashed a smile and gave Irene a gentle pat on the head.

 

“Thanks!” Irene grinned and quickly went off somewhere, leaving Wendy alone in the living room for a few minutes. Wendy was glad that Irene was toning it down a bit these days, on trying to flirt with her. And she could only hope that Irene’s interest in her would slowly fade away as time passes by.

 

Her thoughts however, were soon crushed as soon as Irene rely with a pair of black bikini on, showcasing her perfect figure. Wendy was still a woman, who swings for her own gender so of course her eyes couldn’t help but scrutinize every inch of Irene’s curves. 

 

“What do you think? Does this one look good on me or will the white one look better?” Irene held up the pair of white bikini of the same design, blinking for a few times.

 

“You. Y-You’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you?” Wendy swallowed, feeling nervous all of the sudden.

 

“On purpose? What are you talking about?” Irene chuckled. “Not everything that I does revolves around you, my lovely instructor.”

 

“…But, why are you wearing a bikini in this season? It’s autumn.”

 

“…Yes, everything that I did does revolve around you,” Irene admitted shortly and hung her head, her cheeks heating up and she hurriedly left the room to change. How odd really, that she’s feeling rather shy not when she’s dressed in the skimpy bikini but when she confessed her true feelings.

 

-

 

Day 21

 

“You’re getting really good at this, maybe I should quit being your instructor,” Wendy joked dryly and watched a smile grew on Irene’s face.

 

“Do you think I could already play a piece from Yiruma?”

 

“I think you could. If you practice really hard,” Wendy chuckled, tipping her chin towards the plates of biscuits prepared by Joy. She had to thank the younger girl for being a sweetheart. Whenever Wendy goes over to their place for Irene’s lessons, Joy never fails to prepare something for her. Let it be tea or biscuits, or even cupcakes at times. “Shall we take a break now?”

 

“Sure, why not?” Irene smiled and made her way to the couch. Surprisingly, Wendy wasn’t hesitant to sit next to her this time but Irene didn’t want to say a word about it, for she is afraid that Wendy ended up distancing herself away from Irene again. “Tea?”

 

“Sure.”

 

Irene then poured the pot of tea, that had gone cold due to their lesson and she carefully set it in front of Wendy. In the midst of doing so, she couldn’t help to notice the picture of a girl smiling cheerfully on Wendy’s wallpaper, as Wendy fiddled with her phone.

 

“Is that your ex-girlfriend?”

 

“Huh?” Wendy looked up from her lap and soon realized what Irene was talking about. “Yes.”

 

Irene was quiet for a moment. “Why did she leave you?”

 

“She. She passed away actually.”

 

“Hmm,” Irene stared long and hard at Wendy, studying her expression. “I lost my mom when I was six actually.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.”

 

“It’s fine. I grew up fine without her you know,” Irene smiled before striking a pose. “Rather too fine, don’t you think?” she laughed. Wendy only snorted in response as she brought the cup of tea to her lips.

 

“Conceited.”

 

“I heard that a lot,” Irene grinned and took a bite of the biscuit in her hand. “But really, you should let go of those who aren’t with you anymore. There’s no good in holding on to the old memories. I’m not saying that you should throw away your memories about her completely. You should cherish them instead and move on, since she used to be a part of your life.”

 

“Move on you say?” Wendy took a glance at Irene. She had considered that to be honest. But she was afraid that she would forget about her. The person who used to mean the world to her.

 

“Yes, I’m pretty sure she would like the same for you,” Irene gave Wendy a gentle pat on the back and her phone just had to ruin the moment. “Hold on for a sec,” she said, picking up the call. “Oh, yes mom?”

 

The corner of Wendy’s lips twitched and she of course, shot Irene a glare.

 

“I-I mean, hello step mom! Have you been doing well?” Irene forced a laughter, shifting her eyes in order to avoid Wendy’s. “…No, I’m not crazy mom,” she whispered into her phone.

 

“I’m going home.”

 

Irene was quick to pull away from the call the moment she saw Wendy getting up from her seat. “H-Hey, I thought we have another thirty minutes left?”

 

 

-

 

Day 28

 

“And that’s all for our lesson today,” Wendy said, picking up her backpack. Truth to be told, she was worried actually. Worried about Irene. The latter looked solemn, compared to any other days and she wondered what was bothering Irene. But Wendy just couldn’t find the right words to ask Irene.

 

“Thanks,” Irene replied as she got up from her seat, stretching her limbs. “I’m going to take a shower now. You can ask Joy to lock up the door, she’s in the kitchen,” she said nonchalantly, making her way towards the stairs and Wendy instinctively grabbed Irene’s wrist as the girl passed by her.

 

Irene was surprised for a moment, for the sudden gesture. “Yes?”

 

“Is something bothering you?”

 

Irene’s eyes turned cold once again and Wendy wasn’t liking it for one bit. She disliked seeing Irene like this. She preferred the usual crazy, outgoing Irene.

 

“Nothing.”

 

“It’s got to be something. And I demand to know as your-“ Wendy paused for a second on her words. What is she? She’s just a mere instructor for Irene. And she’d like to keep it that way.

 

Or does she really?

 

“My what?” Irene raised an eyebrow and sighed. “Look, just go.”

 

“F-Fine,” Wendy nodded and hesitantly let go of the older girl’s wrist, watching Irene’s back disappearing from her sight.

 

“Is there anything wrong?” Joy peeked her head out of the kitchen. It was an unnecessary question actually. She had been eavesdropping all the while she was in the kitchen.

 

“What happened… with her?”

 

-

 

Day 29

 

Wendy was getting ready to head over to Irene’s place, her things already prepared but just before she manage to slip on her sneakers, a text came in. And it was from Irene.

 

“Hey, I’m not feeling well today so you don’t have to come over to my place. No worries, I won’t cut off your fee.”

 

Wendy frowned upon reading the last line, feeling somehow disappointed. It was as if she’s just there to give the lessons to Irene just for the money. Sure, that was what it is in the beginning. But she’s starting to really like Irene. And her feelings were reassured after her conversation with Joy the day before.

 

 

“Irene-unnie is actually troubled with her mother. You see, her dad passed away a few years ago, leaving her mother a fortune and as a widow. Did she tell you this?”

 

“No. She hasn’t… But she joked to me once that it was her mother who passed- Nevermind. Go ahead with what you were saying.”

 

“Anyways, ever since her dad passed away her mother kept seeing guys. Younger guys. And apparently, she had just found out earlier that her mom had just gotten engaged to a guy not far from her age. That’s why she’s upset.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“If I were her I would be upset too actually. I mean who wouldn’t?”

 

“Do you happen to know any ways to cheer her up?”

 

“I’m not sure if anything could cheer her up right now but… Unnie, are you starting to like her? You seem to genuinely care for her.”

 

 

“Have you eaten anything yet?”

 

It didn’t take long for a reply to come in.

 

“No. I’m not hungry.”

 

“Don’t be stubborn and eat something,” was what Wendy intended to send to Irene initially, but a sudden thought popped into her head that she decided to send something else. “You’re not allergic with anything right?”

 

“No… Why?”

 

“No reason.”

 

-

 

Wendy had thought of leaving the pizza on the porch after pressing the bell, but she was afraid that Irene wouldn’t eat. So she decided to be the one to give the pizza to her. It’s kind of ridiculous actually, on why on earth did she decided to bring pizza to a sick person but Wendy could see through Irene’s white lies. The latter wasn’t really sick. She’s probably still affected with the news yesterday.

 

It took her a few rings to get the door open and it’s exactly the person whom she wants it to be.

 

“Hey there.”

 

“Uhm, didn’t I texted you earlier that you didn’t have to come?”

 

“You did. I came here just to deliver the pizza,” Wendy smiled, pointing towards the pizza box in her hand. “May I come in?”

 

“Sure,” Irene nodded slowly, watching Wendy stepping into her place. Irene wondered what brought Wendy over so suddenly and moreover, with a pizza. She’s not exactly in the mood to entertain any guests but Irene didn’t want to chase the other girl away after going through the trouble of buying a pizza for her.

 

“Is Joy around?”

 

“No. I’m the only person home right now,” Irene shrugged, plopping herself down the couch next to Wendy.

 

“You look rather fine for a sick person if I must say,” Wendy grinned teasingly, taking a glance at Irene.

 

“…Are you praising me or mocking me?”

 

“Both actually,” Wendy hummed softly, opening the box of pizza before offering a slice to Irene. “Here.”

 

“Not really in the mood to eat-“ Irene was silenced as Wendy shoved the pizza into , the playful glint in Wendy’s eyes was replaced with a stern one.

 

“Eat. You need the food.”

 

“Fine,” Irene slowly gave in, chewing on the slice of pizza carefully. “What brings you here by the way?”

 

“I heard that someone was sick so that’s why I decided to fly here.”

 

“Lies, I texted you,” Irene snorted.

 

“Yes. And you lied to me too in the text,” Wendy retorted with a smirk, earning a blush from Irene.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“It’s fine. If you must know, I’m here because I’m worried about you actually.”

 

“Worried?” Irene curiously glanced over to the girl sitting next to her upon hearing her words. “Why?”

 

“Joy told me. About what was disturbing you yesterday.”

 

“Oh…” Irene said, before cursing out the younger girl under her breath. “Damn it Joy.”

 

“Hey, you don’t have to be mad at her now. I was the one who asked her,” a sigh escaped from Wendy. “About your mom, you should just let her be. I’m pretty sure that she’s just lonely, with you now living apart from her. Perhaps all she wanted was for someone to be next to her and her fiancé was giving her the attention that she had been craving. I can’t exactly approve with the fact that she’s getting married with someone of your age but I’m pretty sure you’ve heard of the phrase that love is blind,” Wendy smiled, sparing Irene a glimpse. “Love makes you do crazy things. I mean, didn’t you ask for the lessons just so you can hit on me?”

 

“H-Hey, that’s a completely different case alright,” Irene tried to defend herself but soon returned to what they were talking about earlier, about her mom. “I’m scared of him hurting her. Moreover, he’s younger than her and I’m scared that he’s only going after my mom’s money instead of really loving her.”

 

“Well, if that’s the case you can always beat him up can’t you?” Wendy chuckled softly. “I’ll be with you if that happens and beat him up together. I’m a black belt in Taekwondo.”

 

“Tch, you’re not even half his size.”

 

“Hey, is that a jab at my height?” Wendy gasped, clutching on her chest dramatically.

 

“Yes,” Irene snickered. “You’re even shorter than me.”

 

-

 

Day 30

 

“Can’t you stick around for another month?” Irene pouted and Wendy was truly glad that Irene had reverted to her usual self.

 

“Well you only wanted a one month lesson so I’ve already taken in another student actually. Sorry,” Wendy smiled apologetically.

 

“Triple the fee again?”

 

“You should spend the money on something else. I know you’re loaded but still,” Wendy chuckled and lightly ruffled on Irene’s hair, causing the older girl to jut her lips out even more.

 

“Nothing I say will make you stay?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Should I sing to Taylor Swift’s All You Had To Do Was Stay?”

 

“Go perfect your English first before doing that. Korean accented English turns me off,” Wendy laughed.

 

“Looks like I’m going to have to live in the States for a while,” Irene muttered under her breath and Wendy had to hold herself from breaking into another smile upon hearing Irene’s response.

 

“I’ll be going now.”

 

-

 

“Coming-“ Irene was taken aback as the door swung opened, seeing the person standing in front of her.

 

“Hey.”

 

“What are you doing here? I thought that our lessons are over.”

 

“I’m here not as an instructor but as your future girlfriend,” Wendy looked confident when she said that but soon looked away in embarrassment. “I’m sorry.”

 

“…What do you mean future girlfriend?” Irene smiled amusingly and folded her arms.

 

“W-Well, that is if you want to go out with me?” Wendy scratched her nape as she held out the bouquet that was previously hidden behind her.

 

“That depends.”

 

“Depends on what?”

 

“On how long you’re planning to stay.”

 

“Oh,” Wendy finally managed to lift a smile, looking around to see whether anyone was around before she decided to lean in, pressing her lips against Irene’s quickly. “That won’t be a problem. I decided to stay forever next to you. Whether you like it or not.”

 

Author’s Note – Smh, I’m too lazy to write for each day so- /smacked.