Chapter 4 - Party

I'll Never Let Go

The anticipated - or dreaded, depending on if you were looking from Mihye's perspective - weekend had arrived. The party was starting at 6 pm, and Chaeeun was sure guests would start streaming in by 5.40pm. The 4 girls gathered at Chaeeun's house at 1pm to have lunch and do preparations.


As they ate mashed potatoes with steak, they discussed about their outfits for the later event. Mihye slowly ate, yet dread curbed her appetite. The three of them seemed so enthusiastic and genuinely was excited. Even the house had been decorated for the party later. Mihye looked down at her food and started pushing it around, not paying attention to their talk.


Suddenly, a hand rested on Mihye's arm and it made her look up. "Dude, are you okay? You seem pale," Joomi commented. Mihye softened, if even Joomi noticed, that meant her emotions must be very obvious. She gave a small smile, but they wouldn't be convinced.


"Okay fine, it's just that I'm not party material, okay? I'm not comfortable being in large crowds of people…" Mihye trailed off, hoping they would let her stay out of the party. To her surprise, Chaeeun did something completely unexpected.


"Then let's all skip the party." The other two nodded in agreement. Mihye's jaw dropped. She did not think it would become like this and quickly shook her head. "Come on Mi, if you aren't going, you know we won't go either."


Mihye was completely touched at her words. However, she knew that all three of them were really looking forward to the party. "You guys must go! Chae, you hosted the party, of course you must be there. And I know you guys are looking forward to it. I'll… come along. But I didn't bring any outfit."


Soljin, Chaeeun and Joomi cheered in unison. Chaeeun backhugged Mihye, "Don't worry! You can choose from my wardrobe~"


After lunch was finished, they all raided Chaeeun's wardrobe. Within minutes, a black and mint set caught Mihye's eye. The short halter top was black and the straps crossed at the back while the skirt was mint. Complete with mint-colored accessories and black strappy heels, the look was perfect! Chaeeun even found her a studded headband.

 

Satisfied with her choice, Mihye sat on one of the leather couches that lined Chaeeun's room with her outfit and watched the other three find their perfect outfits. She its material and thought, would Seungyeon think she looked- no, she was not supposed to think about him. She shook her head to clear her thoughts and focused on her friends instead.


Chaeeun had decided on a red Mickey Mouse sweater and a black leather skirt. She topped the look with a black hat and brushed her hair to a side. "Whatcha think?" She said, giving a model pose. Mihye chuckled, that girl would never stop aspiring to be a model. As Joomi and Soljin stood in front of the heap of the clothes, not knowing what to wear, Chaeeun decided to go shower whole waiting. 

 

Joomi finally found her outfit, which consisted of a blue spaghetti-strap with a fitted bodice and short flare skirt. There were small dots on the dress, and she matched it with blue strappy wedge-heel sandals. Soljin was still deciding between two outfits but eventually went with the cuter option: a blue shirt and a white puffy skirt.

------------------------------------------

After everybody had showered and dried their hair, it was nearing 4pm and they changed to their respective outfits. Mihye let her long brown hair down in messy waves and wore a studded mint headband. For accessories, she wore mint rose earrings and a studded bangle. She put on light makeup and her heels and was the first to finish. "Oh, look at you! You look like the Statue of Liberty~" Soljin teased, which made all four of them laugh.


Chaeeun brushed her blonde-streaked brown hair to a side and wore a black hat. She wore gold chain bracelets and black leather ankle boots. She applied a little red lipstick and eyeliner and was finished next. "Damn, wait till the boys see me," she whistled. The girls laughed at her cockiness. She excused herself from the girls to check on the decorations around the house.


"I think it's only for Moonhan sunbae~" Joomi cheekily added as she tied a blue ribbon in her layered hair. After Mihye shared Chaeeun's secret, they have been mercilessly teasing her about it. They do look like a cute couple too.


Soljin chuckled and tied her shirt a little higher up, exposing more of her stomach. Her auburn hair was styled in slight curls and she wore heeled dark blue high tops, finished with a statement necklace and charm bracelet. When they were all done, Chaeeun entered the room. "Hey, do you think we could make UNIQ do a gig?" She asked. "You know, since they sing and dance and all. Do any of you have any of their numbers?" Three pairs of eyes turned to Mihye.


Mihye, shocked at the sudden attention, blinked. She slowly held out her phone for Chaeeun to check. Sure enough, saved under '승연 오빠' was his contact. Chaeeun laughed at the name, and laughed even more when Mihye denied that she was the one who saved his name as that. Anyway, Chaeeun pressed 'call'.

------------------------------------------

UNIQ, on the other hand, were preparing to leave Wenhan's house. He lived the nearest to Chaeeun and the five of them planned to go there together in Seungyeon's car. Seungyeon was waiting by the door when his phone received an incoming call. What shocked him was the caller.

'Goddess Mihye❤️'

He did not think she was gonna call him, and vice versa, so he put that as her contact name. He blinked at his phone again, wishing he was not hallucinating. "Yah, are you not gonna pick it up?" Sungjoo shouted from the living room. Seungyeon finally swiped 'answer', holding his breath and putting his phone to his ear.


"Yeobosaeyo?" Seungyeon tentatively asked.


"Yeobosaeyo? Seungyeon-sshi?" Strangely, it sounded more like Chaeeun than Mihye. Seungyeon looked at the phone screen again. "You guys are coming to the party, right? Are you interested in doing a gig?" Seungyeon was shocked and simply passed the phone over to Sungjoo who had walked over to him.


"Ah, neh, Chaeeun-sshi? We are coming to the party, what's this you were saying about a gig?" Sungjoo swiftly answered. As Chaeeun discussed the details with Sungjoo, Seungyeon slunk into a chair. How foolish was he to think she called him for other reasons. He sighed.

------------------------------------------

UNIQ arrived later than expected but still early for their performance. Joomi was entertaining early arrivals while Soljin and Mihye stood at the door to usher the guests in. Chaeeun made a final round to make sure everything was prepared and finished just in time when UNIQ arrived. When Seungyeon found Mihye at the door, his breath caught in his throat. "You look beautiful," Seungyeon blurted out, his words not even being processed by his brain before they exited his mouth. 


"Why, thank you but you're not my type," Soljin laughed jokingly, before pulling off the rest of the UNIQ members to put their things down and leaving Mihye to fend for herself. Mihye was trapped in the worst situation - having full attention by someone (her crush, no less) and not knowing what to say. Seungyeon took her silence to scan her - her uniform did her no justice. She looked even more perfect in her clothes today and he found it hard to keep himself from kissing her.


"T-thanks… you don't look too bad y-yourself," Mihye stuttered, biting her lip ferociously and fixing her gaze on her heels. Oh no, oh no, oh no, what do I do, do I look bad, what do I say, why is he keeping quiet, such thoughts ran through Mihye's mind and led her to have a mental breakdown. Fingers on her chin pushed her head up to look into his eyes. And seeing his face up close shocked her even further.


Seungyeon wanted to say something, but a rough push sent him against Mihye. Their lips met and both widened their eyes.

Oh, heaven, both thought.

Mihye recovered first after a few seconds. She pushed him away and ran away before Seungyeon even reacted. Oh gosh, oh gosh, what just happened, did I just kiss the Cho Seungyeon, Mihye thought, having a mental breakdown. Her face reddened immediately, having replayed that moment and she buried it in her hands.


Seungyeon, on the other hand, had a big dorky grin on his face. He touched his lips and replayed the special moment. He sweared Mihye almost kissed back and squealed inwardly. With a gigantic smile, he went back to his friends, hoping to catch Mihye again.


However, throughout the party, Mihye avoided him like he was the plague. Granted, there were a lot of people, but whenever Seungyeon caught sight of her and tried to call out to her, she would always vanish within seconds. He frowned. Did she hate him now? The kiss was not intentional, and Seungyeon did not regret it, but if it meant she was avoiding him like now, he would rather take things slower and wait for her to like him back. 


When pretty much half of Chaeeun's house had been filled with guests, UNIQ started their performance. Throughout the song, Seungyeon searched for the girl in mint and black, and finally found her hiding behind her friends in a far corner. She avoided eye contact, but he could tell she was watching him. He smiled, more at ease now, and directed his whole part to her.

 

Baby don’t walk away from me
Stay there, I’ll go to you
And I know its harder to see
The deeper it gets, the harder it gets, you know
Let’s just stay like this
Lean on each other so we won’t grow apart
Just right hold me up all night
Don’t let go of me
And we’ll never gonna slow down that’s right

 

Mihye was well aware that the lyrics were directed at her. Her heart started thumping wildly. Why must he do this to me…


When UNIQ had finished their performance and Seungyeon approached the girls, Mihye was gone. Chaeeun reported that she had left to the balcony once their song had ended and Seungyeon headed there immediately.


Mihye was leaning against the railing, her hair flailing wildly in the cold evening wind. She rubbed her arms. Sure, she was cold, but she did not feel she was capable of not breaking down if she saw Seungyeon. So she had escaped to the balcony, where there was only a couple cuddling and whispering in the shadows. She did not recognize the boy, but the girl was Park Eunmi, who was in her class. And Seungyeon's. She sighed. She had no idea what was happening to her. Wasn't she supposed to be ignoring him? Why was she even more affected by him nowadays? Was she really falling in love?


A harsh tug on her arm pulled Mihye back to reality.