Decisions

Journey

 

Chapter Text

Changmin was exhausted, burnt out and in the brink of giving up on everything.
The stubborn mans life was hectic, mainly because he was overworking himself, leaving only some hours of rest before the cycle started again.

His family were worried. Their son barely contacted them, making them wonder if he even was alive. The day Changmin rejected his fathers wish of making him a succesful lawyer, taking over his father and being the Shim's next pride and succesor, was the day he became the castaway. Of course this was not expressed in words, but Changmin knowing his family, knew from just their behaviour that this was not what was expected of him. They hated his choice of work and didn't understand why their son would waste his intelligence on being just a normal office worker.

He himself knew that he choose the harder path. That it would be easier to give in to his parents wishes, but he didn't regret. At least, it wasn't the thing that had been chosen for him, but something he chose himself. The busy days kept him away from his mind, and he didn't have time to be lonely. Or that was what he kept telling himself.

It seemed like most of his co-workers seemed to have the same mindset as him. They led their life like robots. Working overtime, and being burried in paperworks gave them some distraction. Unlike them there were also others, who sincerely enjoyed the work, the extra bonus they got from overworking was literally the thing they lived for. The few of them even got some recognition from their boss, and they imprinted those moments in their hearts, and got motivation to work even harder. Changmin didn't understand them. At all. Work wasn't something he particulary enjoyed. It was just, work... that's it. He was envious of the others that could genuinly enjoy working, but he didn't linger on such thoughts.

The pressure, overworking, and the nagging led to several incidents were he fainted. This, being the last drop of water, his bestfriend, Kyuhyun, brought him to a psychologist.

Standing outside of the office, Changmin couldn't bring himself to knock on the door. Instead he was standing there fidgeting, playing with his shirts end like a little kid.

Kyuhyun sighed. “Man,.. this is not healthy okay. I'm sick of you, and I'm seriously on the verge of crying by just looking at you being like this.»

Changmin was stuttering, trying to come up with any excuse, anything, but were sharply cut of by his bestfriend whose words and gaze went more and more enraged by the seconds.

«Yes .. me.. min... I... AM ON VERGE OF CRYING SHIM CHANGMIN» Kyuhyun fisted his hands, his eyes continuing to spit fireballs at him. «And that's not something that happens every other day, or not even once a year, and you don't want to see me cry, I swear you. So open the goddamn door and get in now!» Kyuhyun were now panting trough his nose like an angry dragon, his left hand pointing at the door, and the other on Changmins back trying to push him.

The latter pouted, widening his eyes making him look like a deer on highway. He had never seen his bestfriend like this. Kyuhyun were a goofball and never too serious, and occasionally also a dickhead (which he would admit to be guilty of being as well).

«Bu-but K-k-kyuuu» he stuttered out, trying to push away from the door he nearly faceplanted into.

«No but's, I'm done with you» Kyuhyun opened the door and pushed the overgrown man acting like a baby.

«There you go. No need to thank me.» he muttered while walking away. After stumbling in the door, Changmin managed to send a glare at his bestfriends back, cursing him before remembering where he was and straigthened to give the psychologist a polite bow and a small smile like nothing happened.

«Shim Changmin, 27 years old, right?» the grey haired old man asked, smiling toothly, using his hand to show him where to sit. Changmin scratched the back of his head and sat down on the office chair, nodding shortly while looking down the ground.

After being asked a dozen of questions, and running some tests on him, the psychologist concluded with that the man was indeed overworked.

«I wil permit you leave for one week. Use this time wisely. What you want to do with this time is of course up to you, but I recommend you to spend this time in another place, as in a vacation. I will schedule you a new appointment when you're back» the man smiled, a wise and knowing smile setling, like he had handled this hundred times before.

Changmin decided that it was rather creepy, he didn't like that smile.

Vacation. One week away.

Changmin suddenly felt nervous. He was not ready for a vacation, but he had to make a decision. Thinking of his friends and family, he nodded weakly, making the creepy smile reappear on the balding man. Changmin tried to smile back, which he felt ended up as a weird grimace. He prayed for that the week that were to come, to go over fast.

~ * ~

One ticket to Bali, staying over at «Hotel Paradise».

Changmin stared blankly at the computer screen. He had yet to pack, and the flight were the day after. He was not ready at all, he stared at the empty suitcase, that somehow reminded him of himself. His cellphone rang, the screen blinking «dad».

Changmin tok a deep breath before answering. «Yes?».

«It's me..» There were a moment of silence before he continued.
« Kyuhyun sent us a message about that you are going on a vacation. That's great really..., but you could have told us this yourself hmm? Anyways, I hope you take this time to .. rest and think... okay? Love you»

This was the first calm conversation he had had with one of his parents in ages. Changmin clenched the phone and answered «Love you too dad» and ended the conversation.

Leaving his phone on the desk, he started packing for his journey.

 

This is my first fic in this fandom, I hope you liked it so far :)
Don't hesitate to notify me of typo's and grammar mistakes.
( and my spelling-corrector-thingy is not working so there might be a lot -__- *sigh*)