Problems

The Future's Lights

Kibum had always loved flying above the clouds.

There was something about it that had always…intrigued him. People didn’t understand, due to his love and fear being of the exact same thing. He hated heights, and yet he loved flying.

It was just so peaceful when he flew. When he rose above the clouds and took in all the colours and the smells, the sounds. It felt like he truly belonged.

But Kim Kibum was no pilot.

Sometimes he’d chance upon big clouds with weird sounds coming out of them. They seemed to be yelling something, almost. Screaming, yelling and shouting…only he didn’t know what they seemed to be saying…it almost sounded like…Key?

 

 

“…Key! Key!” the muscled, tan, young man yelled repeatedly, elbowing and shoving his way through the throng of people. Nobody gave him a second look once they knew he was not here to get drunk and high or walk out with a one-night stand.

The paler man by the name of Key seemed to be getting further away from Jonghyun, moving in time to the heavy bass blasting through the speakers. He was almost childlike in that state, just simply dancing along to whatever he could hear, illuminated by the flickering red, blue and green lights.

Jonghyun finally managed to escape from the dancing prison that people called a crowd, and had just managed to grab hold of Key’s wrist when-

“EVERYBODY HANDS UP!” the uniformed policeman at the entrance Jonghyun had just come in through bellowed over the sound of the music. Many other officers stormed in, one ordering the DJ to stop the music.

 No longer needing to be loud, the policeman that was still at the entrance announced that because of an anonymous tip, the officers would search everybody in the club to check for drugs.

.

An immediate kerfuffle broke out, the owner running forward to the police to try to reason with them to say that his club was an honest, clean business, but to no avail.

Seeing the authorities distracted for now, Jonghyun immediately did his own body-search for drugs on Key. He found three small packets of white powder in the back pocket of Key’s jeans, took them out and slipped them into the bag of a girl squashed beside them who was very obviously also high.

Meanwhile Key, who was still under the effects of the , nearly collapsed to the floor and he would have, had it not been for Jonghyun catching him just in time to fling him over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

The younger reeked of smoke and alcohol. That was a good sign. Normally the effects of smoking didn’t last long. But it also meant that they wouldn't get past the authorities as easily.

Jonghyun decided to wing it anyway. He stepped forward with Key on his shoulder, asking the policeman at the entrance to search them both first so that they could get out of the club.

He body-searched them both, Jonghyun’s heart pounding all the while because what if he didn’t get all of it?

The policeman stepped away from Key and said he hadn’t found anything, telling Jonghyun that they could leave since the elder was obviously sober.

Thanking everything holy, Jonghyun lifted Key bridal style and walked out.

He laid Key down on the backseat of their car and tucked the younger’s legs in. He stepped back to look at the sleeping man as he was closing the door. “What am I going to do with you?” he half sighed, half pleaded. He could feel the tears welling up in his eyes. Before, in the club, it was all adrenaline, get Key out, get Key out, get Key out. But now, Jonghyun wondered if this was the right choice to make.

To keep rescuing his husband from the clutches of the law. To keep escaping like this. He was already so, so tired, and he couldn’t do this. This was already the third time Key had succumbed to the urges. The first time he was caught doing it, he cried and cried and promised never to do it again. He almost killed himself going cold turkey on the drug that time.

The second time he was caught was in the club they’d just been in.

It was a place known for cheap drinks and was a centre for drug trafficking in the shadows until the new owner came. Then Key had cried and cried. And Jonghyun cried with him.

Key gave a small moan and shifted in his sleep. Jonghyun gave a last glance at him and shut the car door. Their future would be debated at home, not like this. Not when Jonghyun was alone to think things he shouldn’t be thinking. He made a promise, after all.

 

 

Jonghyun finished changing and wiping Key down, and lay him down to let him sleep the rest of the alcohol off. He stepped back with a sigh, and picked up the small bucket with the rag to return to the bathroo-

“Daddy?”

.

He whirled around, seeing his eight-year-old son standing in the opening of their ajar bedroom door, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

“Baby, what are you doing out of bed? You have school tomorrow!” Jonghyun cooed, gently ushering their son out of the room.

They entered the smaller male’s bedroom, and as Jonghyun watched his son climb back into bed, he pulled on the doorknob, closing the door-

“Daddy, did Papa smoke again?”

Jonghyun froze. This was not supposed to happen. Hyunjin was not supposed to ask questions like this.

He walked in and closed the door, then he sat down on the edge of Hyunjin’s bed. “Listen, okay?”

The boy nodded.

“Papa’s going through some adult stuff right now, okay? And…it’s hard, trying to solve this problem. But you can help us.”

The boy immediately brightened. “How?”

 “By eating and sleeping well. You can study hard and stay healthy too. Just...be yourself and you’ll help us both solve this faster, alright?”

Hyunjin nodded. Jonghyun kissed the boy’s forehead and tucked him in.

After he closed the white bedroom door, he slumped and leant against the door, scrubbing a hand over his face. He hated having to lie to his own son. What was he going to do?

This couldn’t go on forever.

Key could get caught, then Hyunjin would have to grow up without his Papa.

Jonghyun sighed once more and walked to the bathroom to wash up and sleep. He wasn’t going to deal with life half-asleep. 

 

 

___________To be continued~________________________

 

I will post the rest either in a few days or tomorrow, when I get time on the computer. Thanks for reading, you guys!!

 

here's a teaser for my next story:

 

 

So.

Key thought, as he stood, arms akimbo, in front of the entrance to his apartment complex.

 

How the hell was he supposed to get in?

 

He weighed the possible pros and cons of his options.

The security guard?

Yes, but, he was too old to be even able to hear anything, much less understand Key’s fast-paced speech.

And his 17-year-old pimply partner?

No. Just… no. That boy was not going anywhere near him with his bastardly body odour.

 

He contemplated calling Jinki, but there was only one button on his smartphone and it wouldn’t do him any good at all. Besides, he was far, far away in Inje, camping with Minho and probably getting some intense y time where no one would hear them…

Damnit.

Why in the world did his only friend have to be away?!

Wait.

Footsteps.

____________________

Thanks for reading! See you soon! Also, if you have time, please check my other stories out.

Thank you:)