O1/O1

Sunday Morning

7:28 a.m.
7:29 a.m.

7:30 a.m.

“Good morning, good day and hello everyone. This is DJ Bora from Cube Radio wishing you all a happy new year. Today we have multiple special guests lined up ready and waiting to give you a wonderful welcome to the new y-”

“It’s Sunday. Why is the alarm even going off?” Jessica groaned miserably as she slammed the snooze button on the radio alarm clock. She hated that device and all its cousins with a passion but it was the only thing preventing her from using her phone as a substitute alarm instead. She’s already thrown her last phone at the wall once and she had no intention of doing that again.

“I don’t know.” Taeyeon emerged from the depths of the bed and groaned along tiredly with her, also feeling irritated at the loud cheerful voices of the legendary morning people on the radio. She still refused to believe that people who could be so cheerful in the morning could exist but apparently they do. Jessica pulled her hand back from the cool outside air and tucked it safely into the warm bed sheets. She tossed and turned in the bed for a few moments before turning on her side to face the other girl who had already fallen asleep again. It only took two minutes for the room to all silent again with the two living beings already lulled to sleep.

7:36 a.m.

“- New Year! Twenty twelve is off to a great start here at the studio. Ahh, I remember for New Year’s last year we -”

“I don’t care,” Taeyeon whined as she hastily lifted her pillow up to cover her ears in an attempt to muffle the sound of the radio going off again. Jessica pulled the covers over her head and buried herself as far as she could into the bed sheets in hopes of returning to the dream she was just about to start. Much to both their dismay the sound of party poppers going off and loud cheering was not so easily ignorable.

“Remind me to burn down Cube’s radio station later today,” Jessica muttered into the pillows. Taeyeon hummed back, not quite catching what her sleepy neighbour was saying. Having enough of the obnoxious voices coming from the speakers, Taeyeon reached over and laid herself flat against Jessica to grab hold of the plug that powered the device. She gave it one swift yank in hopes of having the silence return but the radio continued to sound in the room. Turns out, someone had put batteries in to keep the alarm alive. Taeyeon groaned in defeat and flopped over the bed. She would have taken the batteries out too if they were not protected by that one damn screw.

Taeyeon shook her head and continued to be flopped across Jessica’s torso. She was not going to go through the effort of finding the screw to take the batteries out. Instead, she just hoped that her body would quickly adjust and just mute out the sound from the alarm. She vaguely remembered her lesson in high school about evolution and wondered if she would somehow miraculously naturally mute out all alarm devices.

Jessica stirred in the bed again as her irritation reached its breaking point. She didn’t mind the lifeless body across her but that box blaring loud noise was driving her insane. Not looking where she was reaching, Jessica grabbed the alarm and threw it at the wall. The alarm broke into two pieces and was muted forever. A sigh of relief escaped both sleepy parties on the bed. Finally they could give in to their sleep hangovers and relax.

7:50 a.m.

Ding.

Tweet.

Jessica’s and Taeyeon’s message tone interrupted the silence for the third time that morning. Taeyeon gritted her teeth and reached over to their bedside table for their phones. Whoever was texting could wait for them. Sunday was their day. Nothing was supposed to interrupt it. Whilst holding the lock button to turn off the phone, she quickly checked the date.

Sunday 1 January.

Taeyeon’s eyes widened when she realised why her sleep was being interrupted so many time that’s morning. Why the alarm was set on a Sunday, why it was given batteries and why people were texting them so early in the morning. It was New Year’s Day. The start of a new year. The fresh new start.

“Jessica!” Taeyeon shrieked as she quickly jumped off the bed and ran to the bathroom. Jessica whined against her pillow and pulled the covers over her head. She hoped that Taeyeon was counting her blessings because if she was anyone else she would have been placed on her hit list for disturbing her sleep. Her list was already over a hundred with people and objects having equal worth on the list. One day she would use that list. One day…

The room fell silent again for the third time that morning. Jessica emerged from the covers when her supply of cool air was running out and she ran the risk of suffocation. She peeked through her eyelids and noticed that Taeyeon was not beside her and frowned. She gained some consciousness and scanned her immediate surroundings. Sunday was supposed to be the day that they would be attached to the hip. Why was she alone and her other half was nowhere in the immediate vicinity?

As she got up to look for the girl, Taeyeon opened the bathroom door with a toothbrush topped with toothpaste. Her hair was tied up in a messy ponytail and she no longer had any signs of a sleep hangover. Jessica raised her brow when she found the toothbrush being held in front of her face.

“I thought it was your idea to make our New Year’s resolution this year,” Taeyeon smirked. Jessica wasn’t quite understanding where Taeyeon was going, but nevertheless she tooth the toothbrush and placed it between her teeth and cheeks. “If I remember correctly, this year involved something along the lines of waking up earlier on Sundays to get more out of them and not spend the whole morning unconscious.”

Jessica’s eyes widened when she remembered the conversation she had with Taeyeon last night. Kicking the blankets aside, she quickly ran to the bathroom and rushed through her morning routine. Taeyeon rolled her eyes and laughed. That was one way to make Jessica run, even if it was only three metres.

 

 

Taeyeon laughed when Jessica flopped down on the chair at the dining table. She noticed that the pockets on Jessica’s shirt was on the inside rather than the outside and wondered if she should just let Jessica spend the whole day with an inside-out shirt until she noticed. Knowing that she was going to her a few dozen slaps to the arm when the girl does find out later in the day, she decided to do the safe thing and tell her.

“Jessica, I think you have something in your pocket,” Taeyeon discreetly hinted. Jessica instinctively used her hand to reach for the pocket and froze when she couldn’t find the opening. Looking down at why her hand was finding it difficult to find the pocket, she finally realised why and gave a long dreary groan.

“Tell me,” Jessica paused to pull her shirt off the top of her head. “Was I intoxicated when I made this year’s resolution?”

“I don’t think so. You were talking about it for at least a week.” Jessica fumbled with the shirt and flipped it the right side out again. “Well then what are we going to do with the extra hours we have?” Jessica stopped fumbling with her shirt and hummed. Feeling her muscles still tensed and lazy, she decided to give a quick full body stretch just as Taeyeon took a glance at her.

“Gosh, Jessica. I didn’t know you wanted to wake up early just to do that. You’re insatiable,” Taeyeon faked a gasp. Jessica finished off her stretch and laughed breathily.

“Hey, I’m not one to decline that offer.” Taeyeon reached over to grab Jessica’s shirt and threw it at her face.

“Don’t even think about it. Takes enough effort getting you out of bed. I don’t want to get you back in it and risk waking you up all over again,” the older girl huffed. Jessica put her shirt back on and rested her elbow on the table with her cheek in her palm.

“Well it doesn’t have to be in the bed,” she mumbled. Taeyeon kicked Jessica’s shin and picked up her breakfast plate to sit further away from her.

“Dream on.”

Jessica rubbed her shin sorely and continued to laugh at the flustered expression that Taeyeon was wearing. “Oh but I do,” she continued. Taeyeon’s cheeks flushed a bright pink as she scoffed and turned her head away from Jessica.

Jessica – 1, Taeyeon nil.

“Just hurry up and eat. I was thinking about visiting the New Year’s display later on,” Taeyeon mumbled. Jessica grinned and obediently followed the older girl’s orders.

 

 

A few hours later, Taeyeon and Jessica found themselves out on the cold streets browsing the New Year’s display that was going on around them. The streets were crowded with couples, families and friends enjoying their day off. Not wanting to get lost, Taeyeon gripped onto the hem of Jessica’s jacket and followed behind to make sure they didn’t get separated.

“It seems like people are starting the New Year well,” Jessica chuckled at all the smiles that the people were wearing. Taeyeon hummed indifferently and just held onto Jessica’s jacket tightly. It was weird seeing so many people smiling that it made her feel like they were all part of one great sinister plan and she was the only one who didn’t get the memo.

But she had to admit that the atmosphere was happier than it would be on a normal day. People were giving each other New Year’s greetings even though they had never met each other before. Groups of people are performing on the streets and some organizers had free giveaways. Jessica assumed that everyone was being so nice to each other because they wanted to start the year well and she wasn’t one to argue against that. Starting the year sour was never a good thing.

“Hey, there’s a bakery that’s open today up ahead. Let’s get some cupcakes,” Taeyeon suddenly suggested. Jessica looked behind her and saw Taeyeon holding a flyer advertising the New Year’s special that the bakery she mentioned was having. Taking the flyer out of her hand, the two of them then made their way to the bakery.

Once they arrived, the line was… distasteful. Since most stores were closed, the stores that were open were packed.

“I changed my mind,” Taeyeon mumbled and tugged on Jessica’s jacket. Jessica gave an awkward chuckle and nodded. She wasn’t keen on waiting in line with so many people either. They both awkwardly wriggled out of the line that had developed behind them and quickly made haste to the end of the street where it was a lot quieter.

As they were waiting for the street light to turn green, Taeyeon scanned their surroundings. It was a lot quieter than before with only one or two souls scattered in view. Since they were moving away from the New Year’s display it was getting less hectic which was a relief to Taeyeon. She couldn’t spend too much time around crowds of people. It made her tired since she couldn’t help but observe everyone she saw and that in turn drained all her energy.

“Let’s go to the park,” Jessica suddenly piped up when the light turned green. She didn’t allow Taeyeon time to respond before she took her hand and dragged the tired girl along with her. They weren’t too cautious with getting caught now that the people around them had lessened and it still gave them both the adrenaline rush to do something affectionate in public.

The further they walked the quieter it seemed to become around them with the exception of a few cars driving by every now and then. Both of them were comfortable with the silence since their introverted personalities gave them mutual understanding when it came to their social tendencies. Taeyeon just got tired from noticing too much and Jessica just can’t pretend to take interest in people she wasn’t familiar with for long periods of time.

After a few more minutes walking in silence, they finally reached the park. Jessica and Taeyeon were still walking hand in hand with content smiles on their lips. Along the dirt pathway that the parks had, Taeyeon decided to take a detour off the side and dragged Jessica along with her. They walked perpendicular to the dirt path and found themselves surrounded with trees not long after.

“I hope you know where you’re going,” Jessica said cautiously when Taeyeon continued to walk through. Taeyeon nodded and passed a few more trees before stopping and turning around to smile brightly at the confused Jessica.

“I’m tired and I don’t want to fall asleep in front of people. Who knows what they would do to me when I’m unconscious,” Taeyeon explained. “Kids would probably put bugs up my nose or something.” Her face scrunched up at the thought. Taeyeon then sat down and leaned against the tree, patting the space next to her for Jessica to join.

Jessica sat down next to Taeyeon and felt the older girl rest her head on her shoulder. She wasn’t worried that they would get caught since they were in a secluded area and no one would think to be around these trees when there were public areas available nearby. Relaxing herself as well, she rested her head against Taeyeon’s.

“Hmmm,” Jessica hummed, deep in thought.

“Hm?” Taeyeon hummed back, wondering what her partner was thinking of.

“You’re tired aren’t you?”

“Yeah. Not quite used to waking up early on Sundays.”

“Which got me thinking…” Jessica lifted her head off Taeyeon’s. Taeyeon lifted hers too and threw Jessica a questionable glance. “How about we change this year’s New Year’s resolution?”

Taeyeon laughed and stretched her neck sorely. “Giving up already?”

“No… Just maybe a few alterations,” Jessica hesitated. Okay, maybe she was giving up already but it didn’t seem like it was possible to keep the goal for long this year either. Might as well change it now and save them a few hours’ worth of sleep. Taeyeon rolled her eyes at Jessica and rested her head against her shoulder again.

“I’m sure the alteration involves completely changing it. Am I right?” Taeyeon whispered. She was getting rather sleepy and was tempted to just fall asleep then.

“Fine, I want to completely change it. I just find it somewhat pointless.”

“I’m offended that you think spending more time with me is pointless,” Taeyeon mocked. Jessica nudged her back in retaliation but she didn’t put any effort into it. She didn’t want to disturb Taeyeon when she was almost knocked out again.

“It’s not like that. I mean look at you, you’re about to knock out as it is,” Jessica reasoned. Taeyeon nodded and closed her eyes to submit to the accusation. “And it’s not like I won’t be with you. You’ll be right next to me as we both catch up on our sleep.”

“Well it is your turn this year. I’m up for anything as long as you’re suffering through it with me.”

“Gee. Thanks,” Jessica mocked. Taeyeon gave a breathy laugh and wrapped her arms around Jessica’s waist. “Well that settles it. I’ve decided that this year’s resolution should be trying to make the most out of the year without having to unnecessarily sacrifice any of our precious sleep.”

“You’re just doing that to stall. That’s just an excuse to get through the year until it’s my turn to make up the resolution again,” Taeyeon gritted. Jessica laughed and scratched the side of her cheek. She was caught red handed. She really didn’t want anything to change with how they were now and she honestly didn’t know what to make their resolution to be that year. “But I’ll accept it. I just know this year will be memorable like the rest.”

Jessica nodded and rested her arm on top of Taeyeon’s. “More memories. Yay,” Jessica cheered sarcastically. Taeyeon pulled her head back and glared at Jessica.

“Why the sarcasm?” Jessica just smiled and gently guided Taeyeon’s head back to her shoulder. She didn’t mean to offend the girl but she had her reasons.

“My head’s already full,” she simply explained. Taeyeon used her chance to bite onto Jessica’s neck to get her to let go of her.

“What kind of lame excuse is that Jung?” Taeyeon huffed. Jessica continued to smile innocent and rub the bite mark on the side of her neck.

“It’s not an excuse but a reason,” Jessica started. “If a certain someone hadn’t filled my head with so many memories then I wouldn’t have a full head now, would I?” she explained, narrowing her eyes at Taeyeon. Taeyeon stuck her tongue out at Jessica and crossed her arms, trying to seem like she was still offended. But Jessica could already see the tips of Taeyeon’s ears turning a bright shade of pink and smiled at the reaction.

“And here I thought your head was empty all the time,” Taeyeon muttered. Jessica laughed at the accusation and pulled Taeyeon back into her arms.

“That’s not true. My head is very full. So much so that I’m scared I might forget something important when more memories take up my head space.” Taeyeon still had a frown on her face but Jessica very well knew it was fake. It wasn’t long until Taeyeon finally gave in and rested her head on Jessica’s shoulder again with a bliss sigh.

“You’re always saying things that make me feel like we’re still in a new relationship,” Taeyeon whispered into her neck, her arms tightening around Jessica’s waist to hide her embarrassment.

“Oh but it is new,” Jessica said cheerily. “Compared to the many years we’re going to spend together, five years is relatively short and new.”

Taeyeon pinched Jessica’s stomach to stop her from going further. “Oh just shush and let me sleep.” The abused girl gave a mocking salute and stayed perfectly still so that the older girl could catch up on some sleep. A few minutes later she could feel Taeyeon’s body relax completely and the even breathing against her neck. Feeling the drowsiness return, Jessica rested her head against Taeyeon’s and started drifting to sleep along with her.

“I guess I can expand my memory space to fit more for you,” Jessica whispered to the sleeping girl. Feeling her stomach tingle with butterflies at the thought of spending the rest of her life with Taeyeon made her smile unconsciously. She was going to expand her memory by a lot if she wanted to remember everything worth remembering. But for now, she would take it one step at a time.

“Happy New Year, Taeyeon,” Jessica whispered before falling asleep, knowing that there would be many more years to come.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Not even edited or read over so yeah... excuse the mistakes.

And just a note: ._. don't upvote unless you really like the story. I noticed 20 votes even before I posted this chapter ><
I'm honoured that you guys want to support me but don't support me. Instead, support the story :D
Not everything I write will be good xD I don't want the name 'iiEatBubbles' to be mainstream ._.

 

But aside from that.
I LOVE YOU GUYS :D (except those who just say 'update soon please')

Bubbles out~

--