1986년10월 15일

How Long Have I Known You?

(artwork credit: Gordon Smedt)

 

198610월 15일

Mokpo

It was a bright autumn afternoon. The leaves have changed their colors, a mixture of orange, yellow and brown, giving the place a new look. 

"Donghwa, throw the ball to me!", his father called Donghwa, who have been zoning out. He quickly picked up the baseball not far away from his feet and throw towards his father. But instead of flying to his father's direction, the ball flew towards the window, breaking one of the window glass. Donghwa's mother came out of the house, startled. Donghwa was startled too and was scared that his parents will scold him yet his father did not scold him. Instead he asked him calmly,"What have you been thinking, Donghwa?"

"I've been thinking of my brother, Dong..dong..dong..." having a hard time recalling his brother's name who was soon to be born.

"Donghae." Donghwa's mother, standing at the wooden balcony, answered with a smile.

"Ahh ye, ye." Donghwa hit his head lightly.

"What about him that you've been thinking of?" his father asked.

"Ehh.. I was thinking, why did appa name Donghae, Donghae, it's the sea right? Dong... Hae..." Donghwa answered with his head tilted to the side.

Hearing the question, his father laughed, a unique epansive laughter, "That is because I want him to be a generous person, with a heart as wide as the sea. A person who can fight for his dream like the strong sea waves and can be calm when needed, just like the sea when there is no wind. Same goes to you, Donghwa."

Donghwa, looking at his father, trying to digest what his father have just said, he repeated softly for a few more times and suddenly his face lightened, "I understand, appa!", he noded strongly, his fluffy hair moving with his action. His father ruffles his hair and laughed.

"Donghwa omma, go in first, it's getting cold," he turned his attention to his wife.

"Ahh, ye."

She was about to turn towards the door when she felt a pain from her stomach, "Ahh!!"

Donghwa, startled, ran towards her mother, "Omma, omma what happened?"

He was about to cry when his father carried her up and said, "Donghwa, we need to send omma to the hospital now, don't worry, I think Donghae can't wait to meet us already."

He heads for the car with Donghwa following him.

That evening, a baby was borned. His eyes big and clear, looking at everything he can see with his eyes like he was too curious and want to know them as soon as possible. Lee Dong Hae was born in a beautiful autumn day.


Goyang

"Are we moving out again?" a worried voice.

"Sora omma, we really can't help it, and the deadline is nearing," the older male said while pressing his temples, a pained expression.

It's true, they can't help it. With Sora and baby Hyukjae who was just 6 months old, they can't afford this house, not anymore. The only way is to move out.

Suddenly there is a soft sniffling sound from the room, followed by a loud cry, baby Hyuk Jae was up.

Hyukjae's mother continued to stare at the floor for a few seconds before standing up, a soft smile towards her husband before heading to the room where the cry came from.

"Baby, are you up? Aigoo," huge watery eyes became huger at the sight of his mother, Hyukjae extended his short arms out.

"Aigoo, why are you so cute."

"Hyukjae ahh, why are you up at this hour? Normally you will still be sleeping. Did omma and appa woke you up?"

The baby gave out an incoherent sound, as if answering his mum.

Sora was at her side of the bed, still fast asleep, the mother went to her side and pick up the fallen blanket,"Don't catch a cold Sora.

Hyukjae have fall into sleep again not long after that and was tugged in to the bed.

"My kids, I'm really sorry, I'm sorry that we couldn't give you a good environment, we don't even have a place we call home," before she realised, the mother's face is already washed with her tears, and small sobs can be heard,"I pro..mi..se I.. we, me and your appa, will wor..k rea...lly hard to give you two a good life."

She went to kiss both of her kids and left the room, without seeing Sora's face that was soaked with tears.

 


Starting off in a slow pace~ enjoy~