Sehun-Panic Disorder (Part I)

Clipped Wings

Unbearable brightness was all that Sehun could register when he woke up. Instinctively, he brought a hand up to his eyes. It took a while for his sight to get accustomed to its bright surroundings and return back to normal and it was only then he realised where he was. Sterilised bed sheets, loose clothing, drips hanging casually beside him –he was in a hospitable. But how he got there was still a mystery to him.

He tried using his hands to prop himself up into a sitting position but the needles attached deeply to both his arms made his arms scream in protest. Even carefully this time, he gently nudged himself against the sheets, trying to sit up. He yelped in pain when one of the wires got caught amongst the sheets, tugging viciously at his skin.

This sent a flurry of nurses and doctors rushing through the door and Sehun found himself lying back down as the doctors fired questions that he couldn’t answer and checked intensively for any signs of injury.

After the doctors got what they needed from Sehun’s body, they started filling out the door while discussing fervently about something with the nurses, some even looking back and pointing at him as if he were some animal in a zoo. He silently wondered what were they discussing about, but figured there was a good chance that, from how they gawked at him, the subject was probably him.

Now, there was only a doctor and a nurse left in the white room. The doctor had hair the colour of a raven's which hung down loosely onto either side of his face and seemed surprisingly short despite the stern look he had plastered on his face. He walked to the side of Sehun’s bed.

“You know how lucky you are, Sehun?” he started, eyes fixed on him.

Sehun caught sight of the doctor’s eyes and fought hard not to scoot closer to him to get a better view. His eyes were grey, not the usual kind of grey though. The tips of his irises were tinted with shades of dark blue, the combination equalled to a pair of eyes that Sehun figured he would never get tired of staring at.

“Hello, can you hear me?” the doctor spoke again.

Sehun snapped out of his trance.

“Huh? Oh Y-Yeah!”

The doctor sighed and dragged a stool beside him before plopping himself into it.

“Well just in case you didn’t catch that the first time, I’ll repeat myself.”

Sehun nodded.

“I said,” he deadpanned. “Do you know how lucky you are?”

Sehun gave him a confused look. He had no idea what the doctor was talking about.

“I don’t understand.”

“What’d you mean you don’t understand?” the doctor cut in, tapping his foot impatiently.

Sehun flinched. He thought doctors were supposed to be nice and gentle; guessed this one had a rough day.

“I don’t know what you’re talking ‘bout. Why am I even here?” he replied, eyes depicting pure confusion.

“You…” the doctor’s breath hitched in his throat, "don’t remember what happened?”

 “No, I really don't.”

The doctor gave him a look, as if contemplating whether Sehun was lying. But the look in the poor latter’s eyes could give nothing away. Finally, the doctor gave a big sigh and started scribbling furiously into his notes, not glancing at Sehun’s direction even once.

“Hey… Hello?” Sehun mumbled, snapping his fingers in front of the shorter man’s face. “Can you say something? Anything?”

He ignored him, only scribbling faster into his files.

Sehun turned to stare at the nurse standing at the far corner of the room. He tried pointing at the doctor and mouthing questions to her but all she did was shake her head and point back at the doctor.

After minutes of silence with nothing but the sound of a pencil scratching the surface of paper, the doctor finally spoke.

“You tried to commit suicide. Police found you floating around the Han River, thought you were a goner,” the doctor clicked his pen and placed it back into his pocket, “till we heard your heartbeat.”

Sehun froze. Why had he tried to take his own life? More importantly, why couldn’t he remember anything?

“I…I...” he breathed. “How? I really can’t remember anything, doctor. Why can’t I remember?”

Sehun felt his breath constrict in his throat, a new found sensation of fear washed over him. He grabbed the ends of his hair as sweat dripped down profusely. Why can’t I remember anything? Why can’t I remember?

The doctor noticed this and quickly placed both hands on Sehun’s shoulders.

“Whoa, whoa calm down Sehun! It’s fine that you can’t remember… It’s fine, really.”

Sehun gave a tortured look. “Is it?”

“Yes. Now breathe.”

The boy obeyed and then proceeded to breathe in and out repeatedly, with each breath the weight in his chest seemed to lighten till the point where it completely disappeared. The doctor offered him a tissue and Sehun took it to wipe off the sweat shining on his forehead.

“I apologize, Sehun,” the doctor added, “forgot that you have a history of panic attacks. That was very careless of me."

“It’s okay," Sehun replied wearily.

They locked eyes and for the first time since they met, a smile crept up on the doctor's stern face -though Sehun thought it looked like the type of smile people give to the dying.

“Well, we’ll move on to introductions then.”

“I’m Levi and that lady over there,” the older man pointed towards the petite lady with short strawberry blond hair at the corner of the room who waved a little too enthusiastically at Sehun, “is Petra. I’ll be your doctor and she’ll be your nurse during your stay here so let’s try to get along coz… let’s just say that you’ll be staying here for quite a while.”

“W-Why? I feel fine already.”

“You really call that,” Doctor Levi pointed at the many tubes in his arms, “fine?”

Sehun blushed a deep shade of red. “I guess not.”

Doctor Levi chuckled and then got up from his seat. “Well, I’ll get going then. Rest well and don’t think too much. If you need anything just press the blue button, alright?”

“Alright,” Sehun assured.

The doctor then left the room wordlessly, accompanied closely behind by Petra who gave Sehun a warm smile before exiting the room.

The pale boy leaned back deeper into his bed, hoping that it would engulf him. Contrary to what Doctor Levi had advised him not to do, Sehun could not help but ponder on the many questions running through his mind. He wondered if Levi had even told him the truth and if it was true then, why? He couldn’t seem to figure out what would cause him to harbour a death wish.

He felt the familiar feeling of unexplainable fear start to creep up on him again and decided to not think too much about it... at least not for now. He tossed and turned in the bed, only going still after finding a comfortable position. Despite having woken up not too long ago, sleep came surprisingly easy for him as his eyes drooped lower and lower as each minute passed till they met to form a single crease.

The next day he awoke to the sounds of the curtains being drawn around his bed and a familiar voice by his side.

“Wake up Sehun,” Petra cooed, gently shaking the boy fast asleep on his bed. “Hey, wake up.”

Petra lit up when Sehun seemed to stir, but was greatly disappointed when he only moved to roll onto his side and went back to sleep. She wasn’t going to concede defeat so easily, she went to the front of the bed and tickled Sehun’s exposed leg, eliciting groans from him.

“Wake up Sehun-ah,” she spoke again.

Sehun simply ignored her and managed to escape her tickling by bringing his feet to his chest and continued sleeping in a foetal position. Petra sighed, wondering how tired the boy must be to be able to sleep in such a position.

Petra turned to leave, thinking that Levi would be able to do the job better but halted in her steps when she realised he had read her thoughts.

“Doctor, Sehun he-“

Levi lifted a hand and gave her the ‘I got this’ look before making his way to the sleeping boy’s bed.

“Oi. Wake up,” he commanded.

He nudged Sehun’s head, causing the younger boy to scrunch up his face in annoyance.

“Stop it,” Sehun replied irritably, reaching a sleepy hand to slap away the doctor’s hand.

But Levi didn’t waver instead, he nudged his head even faster.

“Wake up kid.”

“Stop it,” Sehun repeated, bringing his pillow over his head to serve as protection.

Levi rolled his eyes. He slipped his hands under the pillow and continued with his unfinished job.

“Oh god Taehyun, will you stop?!” Sehun finally reached his peak, he sat up and glared at the doctor.

The doctor’s eyes widened.

“What did you just say?”

“I said!” Sehun yelled. “Why do you have to be so annoying Tae-“

Sehun froze.

Taehyun.”

Levi frowned and spoke, “Do you know who this Taehyun is?”

Sehun looked down to stare at his hands. Out of nowhere, his eyes started to water and a single tear trickled down his face.

“I…I…” Sehun spoke while fighting back tears, “I don’t know.”

“Think Sehun. Think,” Levi urged, trying to test his luck. “Can’t you remember anything about Taehyun at all? Not even the slightest hint?"

Sehun cupped his face in his hands and a scene immediately played out in his mind. He found himself in what seemed like a university dormitory, the halls were crowded with rowdy students doing what they usually did; students shouting from one room to another, girls giggling when their crushes walked past them. Despite the chaotic scene, Sehun found himself focusing only on a tall boy standing at the other end of the hallway.

The boy was dressed in school attire, blazer fitting his body perfectly and pants accentuating his long legs. He had his back facing towards Sehun, allowing the latter to only look at his trimmed auburn locks. Gripped by sudden curiosity that he couldn't understand, Sehun started making his way to the boy. Somehow, in ways Sehun couldn’t comprehend, the boy must’ve felt him coming closer, and started walking too.

Sehun quickened his pace but the boy still seemed so far out of his reach. Then out of nowhere, the boy broke into a full sprint. Sehun, afraid of losing sight of the boy, gave chase too. The corridors seemed to stretch on endlessly, accompanied by an endless amount of students from all walks of life standing by, blocking his path.

Sehun stopped to catch his breath and tiptoed to look over the sheer amount of people in front of him and sure enough, he caught sight of the boy who,too, stopped in his tracks. Stealthily, Sehun pushed his way through the crowd and was surprised to see that the boy hadn’t run away. He reached a hand to the boy’s shoulder and words escaped his mouth.

“Wait. I don't know why but you seem really familiar. Do I know you?"

The boy said nothing; his back was still facing Sehun.

Sehun’s fingernails dug deeper into the boy’s shoulder.

"Hey! It's rude to ignore people you know," he persisted.

The boy still remained silent; this annoyed him a bit.

“Well, if you won’t tell me,” Sehun conceded, “I guess I’ll have to find out myself.”

With that, Sehun focused all his strength onto the hand that was on his shoulder and pulled him towards himself. Right when the boy’s face was only moments away to be revealed, everything went black.

"Do you think he'll be okay, doctor? He's already been out for two days, I'm scared that he'll-"

"Petra look. He's stirring. Sehun, can you hear me?"

Sehun opened his eyes and was greeted by Doctor Levi's face right over his. He would've blushed but he couldn't even find the strength for that then.

"You've finally woken up, huh?" Levi sighed, arms folded cross his chest.

"How... How long have I been out?" Sehun replied, squinting his eyes while stifling a yawn.

" 'bout two days. 42 hours and 52 minutes to be exact," the doctor dictated after glancing at his watch.

"That long? I swear it felt like I'd only been asleep for two hours, not two days."

Levi shook his head in amusement. "That's what they all say."

But all jokes aside, it really worried how Sehun how he could just sleep two days in a row without feeling anything. At this rate, he wouldn't be surprised if he ended up sleeping for two years.

"Do you feel uncomfortable anywhere? Any nausea or anything?" Levi asked.

"No, just a little sore from lying down so much."

The doctor scribbled down somemore notes onto his clipboard and said, "Alright then, once I hand my report in, you can go for a walk around the hospital grounds. Think you'll need it."

"That'd be nice," Sehun replied gratefully, thinking that if he didn't get some exercise soon, his legs would fall off.

"I'll get going then. Petra, you take care of Mr Oh and see that he doesn't get into any trouble during his walk."

Petra nodded and the doctor then took his leave again.

Sehun got up into a sitting position and tried to get down from his bed, realising that the needles had already been removed from his body. Despite its absence, Sehun still had trouble planting his feet on the ground. His grunts and groans alerted Petra who rushed to his aid in small, nimble steps.

"Here, I'll help you," she offered, eyes disappearing into half moons.

Sehun murmured a word of thanks and grabbed onto her hand. Petra then began guiding Sehun forward, arms gripping his tightly to prevent him from falling; he felt like he was back to being a baby again. Several times or so, Sehun found himself about to fall but was held back up by Petra. He silently marvelled at how such a tiny woman like her could possess such an immense amount of strength.

"Almost there, almost there. You almost got it," Petra cheered, screaming encouragements at him as if she was watching a game of football. Doctors and nurses who walked past his room all came in to ask if they were alright but were quickly chased away by the eccentric Petra who was determined to help Sehun recover his legs' use.

Sehun gritted his teeth tightly, sweat plastered his whole face. It wasn't that he didn't know how to walk- he obviously did- it was just that his legs were so numb from all the days in bed that he couldn't even place one feet in front of the other.

"Come on! You're almost there," Petra squealed in excitement

Sehun's face was scrunched up into an ugly frown, he clung onto Petra's hand like his life depended on it. Then, after a full hour, Sehun could finally walk without any assistance at all; though still wobbly at times, but nevertheless a great improvement.

"I-I did it," Sehun breathed, eyes gleaming in satisfaction.

"Yes, you did. Great job Sehun!" Petra replied, squeezing his hand encouragingly. "Look at how sweaty you are, I'll go fetch a glass of water for you. Stay here alright."

With that, Petra spun around and strolled off, leaving Sehun to stand on his own.

With the return of the control he had over his legs, Sehun left his room, not knowing where he was heading to -he didn't exactly care either. The faster he walked, the more exhilarated he got. Maybe it was because he hadn't moved around much but he got such a kick from finally being free.

Petra, who Sehun had unknowingly left alone, came chasing after him while attempting to balance a glass with water filled to the brim. She screamed at Sehun to slow down but the boy was too excited to even recognise his own name.

Sehun giggled gleefully as the cool wind from the air-conditioners combed through his hair. He had no idea why he was enjoying this so much, in fact, the more he ran, the more energetic he got.

He raced down the hallway, taking a sharp turn to the left and pushed open the door leading to a staircase. Sehun climbed all the way to the top, not even stopping once to catch his breath, and eventually reached a door coated with white paint.

He gently pressed open the door, and was immediately greeted by an impossibly beautiful view of Seoul. It was in the early evening, the sky was painted with a  deep shade of violet. The setting sun peeked out between skyscrapers, as if holding on to them, unwilling to leave.

Sehun staggered to a lone wooden crate and settled himself onto it. Allowing the view to momentarily take his breath away, letting go of all the confusion he had bottled inside him. He remembered climbing to the rooftop of his old house as a child and gazing at the sky for hours on end, only coming down when his father yelled at him.

Closing his eyes, he took in a deep breath of the city air -though surprisingly it didn't smell as congested as Sehun thought it'd be. In fact, he could almost smell the fresh, salty air from a nearby beach that brought memories back of his old home right beside the winter sea.

Sehun grinned as images of him running barefooted across the beach played in his mind, feeling the sand sink under his weight. The sound of waves crashing against rocks and the endless stretch of white sand clouded his senses. He just kept on running and running, oblivious to where he was heading to -or what he was running from.

Then he felt a splash of cold water on his back, soaking his shirt through. He turned to confront the culprit and was faced with a very familiar person. Neat auburn locks, blue school blazer, skin-tight jeans -it was the mysterious boy from before. Instinctively, he scooped up a bucketful of water, and charged forward at the boy while releasing a battle cry.

Though Sehun didn't know who the boy was but it felt as if he'd known him all his life. Knowing that nobody, apart from his close buddies, ever dared taking on Sehun head on as he was the fastest runner there was back in his town. Nobody could get away from Sehun -the boy wasn't an exception either.

After a few long strides, Sehun finally got close enough to get an accurate shot at the boy. He flung the bucket forwards, allowing the salty water to soak the boy from head to toe. The inner child in Sehun couldn't help but laugh, and splashed a few more buckets of water at the boy.

"Should've known that I could never outrun you, Sehun," the boy spoke, his deep voice cutting through the sounds of waves crashing against the rocks. "Now I'm all soaked."

"You should've known better," Sehun smirked. It was as if the words got pulled out from his own throat. He could never be this comfortable with someone he didn't even know. Though his tone suggested they were far more than strangers.

"Don't you miss this? The sea, sand, birds, everything," the boy said again running a hand through his wet hair. He had his back facing Sehun exactly like how it was the last time.

Sehun sighed and turned his face to look at the sea.

"Yeah. It's been awhile."

He heard the boy chuckle and shifted his gaze back to him.

"Who are you?" Sehun finally asked.

"Oh c'mon Sehun. You've forgotten me this easily?" the boy teased.

"Well if you would just turn around and let me see your face. Maybe I'd have a clue," Sehun replied.

The boy laughed again and seemed to shift his gaze to the sand below him. He shuffled his foot back and forth in the sand with his hands in his pockets.

"You really want to know who I am?"

Sehun was about to shout out his answer but he couldn't bring himself to. Something about what he had just said made him nervous.

"Why wouldn't I?" Sehun replied.

Without warning, the boy slowly turned his face. First his pale cheeks, followed by his high cheekbones and hazel eyes. But before the other side of his face could be seen, everything went black again.

When Sehun woke up he found himself laying on the crate, the sky had turned pitch black. He got up into a sitting position and rubbed his eyes sleepily, suddenly realising that Petra was probably worried sick over his disappearence.

He got up and stumbled towards the door and down the stairs. He squinted when he saw the bright flourescent lamps lighting up the hospital hallways. Sehun took note of the number of each ward and used them to find his way back to his own ward.

After a few minutes he came face to face with a familiar door which had "Oh Sehun" printed in bold along with a "Long-term stay" printed under it. He wondered what that meant.

He pushed open the door and was greeted with Petra's worried stricken eyes.

"Sehun, I looked all over the hospital for you! Where on earth did you go? Do you have any idea how worried I was?!" Petra hollered at him.

"I-I was walking around and got lost," Sehun lied, fingernails digging into his palm.

"Why didn't you wait in your ward? Like you were instructed to do," Petra fired back, biting her lip. "Do my words not have any importance to you?"

"What? No-No Petra it's not like that. Your words do mean a lot to me."

Tears started b in her eyes and no sooner had she broken down in tears. Flustered, Sehun quickly ran forward to apologize.

"Hey look. Please don't cry, I really didn't mean to just disappear like that I'm sorry, okay?"

Petra only gave him a look before rushing out of the room. Sehun was about to give chase but Doctor Levi stood at the door and motioned for him to slow down.

"Just let her have some time alone," the doctor spoke.

Sehun tried to look over Doctor Levi's shoulders but the doctor insisted again that going after her would make things worse. He sighed and nodded reluctantly, strolling back to his bed and plopping himself onto it.

"Don't beat yourself up too much over Petra's meltdown. It really wasn't all your fault, Sehun," Doctor Levi murmured.

"What you mean it wasn't my fault. If I hadn't been such a prick and listened to her, she wouldn't be sobbing her heart out right now," Sehun retaliated, cheeks burning red.

"I didn't say it wasn't your fault," Doctor Levi rolled his eyes. "I just said that it wasn't completely your fault."

Sehun raised an eyebrow.

"Tell you what, I'll entrust you with a secret but you gotta promise me that you'll keep it safe," Doctor Levi said, eyes boring into Sehun's.

"I promise."

The older man nodded and took a seat beside Sehun.

"Well, you're obviously not the first patient Petra's had to look after. I think you're smart enough to have figured that out yourself," he chuckled but immediately switched back to his usual brooding face when he realised that Sehun had not appreciated his attempt at lightening up the situation.

"Well there was one patient not far from your age that she took under her wing once. He had lung cancer, the very last stage. It was too late to save him and the poor boy didn't even know he was dying. His parents lied to him saying that it was just his breathing problems acting up again and that a quick stay in the hospital would cure him."

Doctor Levi laughed coldly, earning an accusing stare from Sehun.

"Petra was instructed by his parents to keep his condition a secret from him at all costs. Days rolled into weeks, weeks rolled into months. The boy soon grew suspicious. His parents had promised him he'd get better but it didn't seem like it. The boy wasn't stupid either, he knew something was up. He and Petra had a great relationship with each other too, the time he had spent in the hospital had blossomed a friendship between them. He decided that on account of their friendship, Petra would tell him what was really going on," Doctor Levi paused. "But things went wrong, and they ended up having a big fight."

"So did he found out 'bout his condition?" Sehun asked.

"He did, something as big as this you can't possibly keep it in the bag forever can ya? Where was I? Oh right, so they had a big fight. Screaming, crying, thrashing, Petra had finally broke. She blurted it all out in a fit of anger and when she realised what she had just said, it was all too late. There was no taking back of what she had said and done. From then on the bright, cheerful boy that entered the hospital turned into a mere living shell. The light in his eyes was gone and he never smiled anymore. He stopped eating or drinking, it was as if... he stopped trying altogether. Then one day, Petra forgot to bring him his daily painkillers and went out to get them. Came back and he was nowhere to be found."

Sehun's eyes widened.

"Wh-Where did he go?"

"We found him at the rooftop the next morning. A doctor had went up to catch some fresh air and found his cold, unmoving body beside the ledges. Upon closer inspection did we notice the slash marks on both his wrists and a note written in his own blood. He killed himself. The only thing the note said was "You destroyed me.". We still have no idea who it was directed to but Petra took it in her stride to blame everything on herself. It was bad enough that his parents wanted to sue Petra for her inability to care for their son, but his note..." Doctor Levi sighed. "His last note shattered her."

"She figured that if she hadn't said anything from the place, hadn't forged a friendship with him, hadn't cared for him as more than a patient, none of this would've happened. They wouldn't have fought, he wouldn't have been so miserable, he wouldn't have ended his own life. It was all her fault."

Doctor Levi shifted his gaze to the floor and shook his head.

"That's why she got really worried when you disappeared. It was like reliving her worst nightmare again. Do you know how horrible that is Sehun? To have to experience the tramau of having one of your patients die under your care? It's definitely not pleasant, I can tell you that."

"How can I make it up to her then?" Sehun spoke, feeling even guiltier than before

"You don't, I'll speak to her about this. In the meantime, just pretend this whole thing never happened. Let's not make this any harder for her."

"Are you sure this is the best way?"

"Yes. Trust me Sehun. The very best way to apologize to Petra now is to forget all of this and try not to bring back bad memories for her."

Sehun nodded and the doctor squeezed his hand in assurance.

"I'll get going then. You get some rest alright? If you need anything just remember the blue button," Doctor Levi reminded, and gave Sehun a half smile.

Sehun nodded and returned the smile half-heartedly, mind still processing all the information he had just been given.

When Doctor Levi left, Sehun laid on his bed and brought his blanket up to his chest. It was unnecessarily cruel of that patient to leave the note behind; it wasn't fair on Petra's side. That one selfish act had codemned Petra to live a life of guilt.

But then again, Sehun thought, the boy's parents had been selfish in keeping the truth from him, and so was Petra. He guessed that it was just one whole vicious cycle repeating all by itself. A never ending cycle.

That night, Sehun awoke in cold sweat. He felt something in his chest that made his throat burn everytime he took in a gasp of air, constricting his breathing. He clutched at his chest and coughed violently as he reached for the blue button beside his bed.

No sooner after he had pressed the button did Petra rush into the room. She was about to open to question Sehun but the sight of him gasping like a fish out of water answered all her questions.

Petra ran to the other side of the room towards a drawer. Pulling it open, she rummaged through the many types of pills and concotions in the drawer only to grab ahold of a little bottle filled with baby pink pills. She rushed back to Sehun's side, getting a glass of water on the way, and placed one pill into his trembling hands.

"Swallow this. Quick."

Sehun devoured the pill greedily before snatching the glass of water out of Petra's hands and gulping it all down in one shot. Almost immediately, the medicine began taking effect. He felt the heavy feeling lifted off his chest and sweet air filling its place in his lungs.

The pale boy laid back down on his bed, still catching his breath. He knew Petra was staring but he was too ashamed to meet her gaze.

"You don't have to feel so guilty."

Sehun faced the petite nurse at his bedside and couldn't help but burst out saying.

"I-I'm sorry. What happened this afternoon was stupid of me I-"

Sehun clamped a hand to his mouth, only remembering Doctor Levi's words then.

Petra chuckled. She couldn't blame the boy, not when he had so much innocence in his eyes.

"Silly boy. No need for apologies."

Sehun opened his mouth to protest but figured he should probably shut up, leaving the two in awkward silence.

"I guess I'll get going then," Petra commented, getting up from her seat beside his bed.

Sehun watched as Petra made her way out of the door wordlessly and wondered if she was secretly breaking inside. He figured she was quite the actor if that was the case.

He laid on his back again, staring at the ceiling wall. Wondering if perhaps, he could help her let go just a bit. Just a tad bit.

Doctor Levi stared at the endless documents piling up on his desk and took another sip out of his coffee mug. He scribbled the last words on the report laid in front of him before tossing it aside to make way for the next patient's report.

He flipped open the first page of the next folder and found a handsome young man smiling back at him. He shifted his gaze to read the information provided and frowned.

 

Patient Name: Oh Sehun

Gender: Male

Birthdate: 12 April 1994 (20 years old)

Existing Medical Condition(s): Severe Panic disorder

 

Docter Levi contemplated long and hard before he moved his chair towards the phone at the far end of his desk. He dialled a familiar number and waited for an answer.

"Hey. This is Doctor Levi and I'd like you to get some information for me. Yeah... Oh Sehun... Thank you, I expect to hear from you soon."

He hung up. There's definitely something more to that Sehun kid that meets the eye, he thought.

.

.

.

.

.

 

"Hey Sehun! Fancy seeing you here at the cafeteria. Why? Bored of the food we serve you in bed?" Petra teased, fork pointing at him accusingly.

"Who wouldn't be tired eating mashed brocolli everyday?" Sehun retorted, sticking out his tongue in disgust.

Petra laughed good naturedly and scooted over to make some space for him. The boy dressed in dull blue sat down and placed his lunch in front him. Petra glanced at the chicken drizzling in oil and made a disapproving noise.

"That looks pretty good but... you should probably lay off on all that oil. I know that you just got better but that's not an excuse to eat this bad boy," she pointed at the chicken, "Besides, you'll get fat if you eat too much oily stuff and you won't look handsome anymore."

Sehun pouted like a child who just got denied candy.

"But it looks so good," he whined. "Come on Petra just for today."

"Nope. I'm not letting that pass through your digestive system."

Petra scooped up his tray and got up to return it to the stall and came back with another tray in her hand.

"There. That's much better,"  she smiled, settling the tray in front of him.

Sehun stared at the carrots and beets floating in broth and squirmed.

"I shouldn't have sat with you," he sighed.

Petra pretended not to hear what he said and continued picking at her salad.

Sehun took a sip of broth and had to force his throat to swallow. He made a face each time he did and drank somemore water.

"Sehun... I'm curious. Do you have any dreams?" Petra asked out of the blue.

"Dreams?"

She nodded.

"Well I've always wanted to take my parents on a trip to Hawaii. Mum and Dad loved the sea, and the beautiful waters there would've made them so happy. We used to live by the beach you see."

"Wow, if only my son was as thoughtful as you."

Sehun choked on a piece of carrot.

"You have a son?!"

"Well yes... Yes I do. Why? Do I not look married to you."

"I mean no wait-yes. I mean you just look really young."

Petra burst out in laughter.

"Why thank you Sehun, wasn't expecting a compliment from a handsome guy like you."

Sehun blushed and looked away, picking up his spoon and trying to chug the broth down in one shot.

"I hope to meet your parents someday. They must be nice people to be able to have such a nice son," Petra grinned

"I'm afraid you can't..."

Petra gave a confused look.

"Why?"

Sehun smiled at her sadly.

"Well... they're dead, Petra."

 

.

.

.

.

.

 

Knock. Knock.

"Come in."

"This is Kim Jinhee,  a classmate of Sehun's."

Doctor Levi nodded and murmured a word of thanks to his colleague before the latter took his leave. He gestured at the seat in front of him, inviting the young man with the trendy black framed glasses to sit down.

"Tea for you, sir?" the doctor offered.

"Yes, more sugar please," Jinhee replied curtly.

Doctor Levi nodded and served a cup for him.

"I'm sure my colleague has already told you why I wanted you here today, so I'll get straight to the point. I'd like to know more of Oh Sehun's background, just something about him gives me a feeling that there's more to that boy than he seems."

"Sehun huh?" Jinhee started, he took off his glasses and rubbed them clean with his shirt before putting them back on. "He was quite the guy I must say, had both the looks and the brains, never failed a single test and had girls lining up to date him. Though he never showed any interest back."

"Was that so?" Doctor Levi twitched an eyebrow, "Anything else you have for me?"

Jinhee shrugged his shoulder. "That's pretty much it, doctor. Though girls wanted to be with him and guys wanted to be him. Sehun pretty much kept to himself and this one guy."

"And could this one guy happen to go by the name Taehyun?"

"Well... Yeah. How'd you know?"

Doctor Levi smirked. He was finally getting somewhere.

"So this Taehyun... who was he?"

Jinhee folded his arms. "Taehyun really wasn't much, up till this day no one at school knows why Sehun never went anywhere without him."

The boy sniggered.

"Rumour is that they had some guy on guy action going on behind the scenes, broke all the girls' hearts," Jinhee chuckled. "But of course that's all a thing of the past."

"What?"

"Well, Taehyun he... killed himself two months back. You didn't... know?"

Jinhee caught sight of the bewildered expression on the doctor's face and hurried to explain.

" that was stupid of me. Of course you wouldn't know, I'm so sorry, doc. I tend to jump to conclusions too soon," he apologized.

Doctor Levi didn't reply, he only stared intensely at the pillar behind Jinhee, putting the pieces together. Leaving Jinhee to awkwardness, the boy could only scroll through messages on his smartphone he had already read.

"Say Jinhee, do you think his death could've somehow been the reason for Sehun's attempt at suicide?"

"Wait, now you've got me confused. You're telling me Sehun actually attempted suicide?" Jinhee gasped.

"You're telling me you didn't know?" Doctor Levi answered.

"No... so all the times he didn't attend class... he was actually here? In this hospital?"

"Yes. I guess so."

Jinhee sunk into his chair, running a hand through his bangs.

"He didn't even tell us," he said, sounding utterly disappointed.

"According to what you said, why would he?"

The doctor's words struck deep into Jinhee's mind, though his pride didn't want to admit it -he was right.

"I know I'm repeating my question but could you please tell me more about this Taehyun kid? Where he came from? His family background?" Doctor Levi pursued.

"I don't know much about him, doc. All I know is that he and Sehun came from the same hometown. That's really all I know."

Doctor Levi sighed and rested his head against his cupped hands.

"Alright, you've helped me enough. Thank you Jinhee you may leave now."

Jinhee made his way to the door and stopped before he took his leave.

"I'm real sorry, doc. But to be honest no one knows what really went on between Sehun and Taehyun," Jinhee said. "I guess Sehun would be the only one who knows."

The doctor paced back and forth around the room. He had heard of cases of people losing their memory from emotional trauma. But the only question was why? It's normal for a person to feel depressed after losing their best friend, but to be so depressed till you erased them completely from your memory? Impossible.

Now as Doctor Levi sunk back into his chair, the only question he had in his head was what? What happened between the two that had affected Sehun this severely? What on earth happened between the both of them?

 

a/n: Hey guys I've finally written out the first part of the first chapter. I apologize for the long wait and I promise part 2 will be out in a week so please look forward to it! As usual, comments, subs and upvotes are highly appreciated, thanks for reading! ^^