i. fin.

Three Things

“I didn't call you so that you won't know I miss you just as much you miss me.”

The sun shines bright, high up in the sky, the wind makes the leaves dance and the chirping of the birds make it a great day for a picnic and that is exactly what Chorong wants - a picnic. She already prepared the food and beverages yesterday night and all set to go, dressed in her polka-dot sundress with a fedora hat on her head. She hums softly as she carries the basket filled with necessities and with a happy heart, she leaves her apartment.

Chorong places her car key in the ignition and chants, "Come on, bee. You gotta work today! It's such a nice day out, work with me," as she turns the key to her right. The engine of the Beetle rumbles and she has her fingers crossed, it doesn't die down and Chorong pumps her fist in the air, "Oh yeah!" driving away from the carpark basement.

She looks around while waiting for the traffic light to turn green, spotting a familiar face walking down the road. She blinks her eyes countless of times, making sure she isn't fooled. Chorong contemplates whether or not to roll down the window and call out for the person but reality hits her as the cars behind start honking. She shakes her head as her lips escape a soft sigh, she wonders, Was that really him or did I see wrong?

Chorong arrives at a park, near Songdo and sits herself under a tree, somewhere shady and far from people's eyes - she didn't like to be part of a crowd much less be part of attention. Leaning on the bark of tree, Chorong inhales the air, a small grin curves up her lips. She doesn't remember the last time, she went on a picnic - the last time was probably before the awful break-up she faced and ever since, she never had the chance to go on one.

She looks at the screen of her phone and scrolls over the list of contacts, stopping at Joonmyun's name - she chuckles softly as her fingers nonchalantly click on the number, dialling it. After three rings, the latter answers, "Hello?" Chorong blinks as she finally realize her action, a soft whisper of makes it exit from her lips. She places her phone to her ear, "Joonmyun-ah," she calls.

Joonmyun's ears perk up as the voice melts in his ears, his lips tremble to utter a word. Chorong asks, "Did I bother you? I didn't mean to- The phone- I-" stuttering her every word. Joonmyun cuts, "Where are you? If you have time to spare, we could catch up over a drink."

Chorong blinks, surprised at the invitation, however; her little heart makes a flip and her lips widen, grinning from ear to ear. She nods her head eagerly as she replies, "Well,I'm near Songdo, at the park - enjoying a picnic on my own on this fine day. Would you like to be my company?" His lips escape a soft titter and a smile spreads on his face as he answers, "Sounds nice, I'll be there in a bit - under that tree?" Chorong repeats his sentence with a smile, "Under that tree, I'll be waiting."

Chorong sets put the food and beverages, she feels relieved she had brought extra just in case. She smiles to herself, not realizing his presence. Joonmyun clears his throat, "What's a lovely lady doing alone under this tree?" chuckling softly as he leisurely sits next to her. Chorong looks at him, shaking her head, "You still haven't got over your lame puns, huh?" The latter shrugs his shoulders, taking a peek at the sandwich, he asks, "Is that mine?" pointing to it.

She nods her head, leaning back on the bark of tree, Chorong closes her eyes as Joonmyun enjoys his meal. Chorong wonders what made him want to meet her when they agreed that they won't meet after the break-up. Does he miss me too? Joonmyun asks, "How have you been doing?" as he leans back as well. Chorong shifts awkwardly, she opens her eyes and looks at him, "I've been okay, what about you? How's work going on? Are you receiving anymore big projects? I hope you're not neglecting people around you."

Her words hit him like a train of bullets, he knows she is indirectly hinting about the break-up - a topic he didn't want to talk ever again. Joonmyun rubs his nape, "Is that what you want to talk about?" he replies. Chorong answers, "It's fine if you don't want to - I know it's not an easy topic anyway," playing with the fedora hat she had taken off earlier.

"I'm sorry," Joonmyun whispers, his hand grabbing hers as he tightens his grip. He chants the two words repeatedly until Chorong stops him, she says, "That's not what I want to hear," pulling her hand away. A low sigh escapes his lips and he replies, "I know, but I don't know what else to say because I know I left you with only three things and I'm left with the same three things as well."

Chorong stifles a laughter, she says, "How sure are you? I think you've seen better days than I have - I doubt you're left with memories, tears and sadness." Joonmyun looks at her, a weak smile plastered on his lips, he says, "I didn't call you so that you won't know I miss you just as much you miss me. I only heard about you from Jongin, and that's all thanks to Naeun - if not, I would've gotten myself drunk and appear in front of your house in the middle of the night," a soft chuckle ending his sentence.

"Then, why didn't you do that?" Chorong asks, "Why didn't you get drunk and showed up in front of my house? Why didn't you call me?" Her voice grows a note higher as she holds back her tears, Joonmyun looks down, he answers, "I didn't want to inflict anymore pain to you, I didn't want to make things more complicated than it already was." Unable to hold on anymore, the tears run down her cheeks, she replies, "Complicated than it already was? Don't say that, Joonmyun - you were the one who made it complicated. It would've been fine if you just came clean, it would've been fine if you just told me before it got worse... It would've been fine if you weren't so selfish."

Joonmyun exhales a low sigh, his fingers run through his hair as he rolls his eyes, replying, "You think I didn't know that? You think I left you because I wanted to? Look, you're not the only one who has it rough." She wipes her tears away, blinking it back, she shoots a glare towards Joonmyun and says, "Yeah, I know you aren't but I'm left with three things you never had to worry because everyone made sure you were fine and I only have three things left with me: to not cry without you, to not walk alone and to not call your name and look for you even if it hurts."


Author's Note:

omg, why did you guys even subscribe and upvoted to this? it bad, man. you might be questioning why it doesn't even have a proper ending, right? well, i got no explaination actually but i guess you could say that i'm giving a chance for you to end the story as you wish, ha. also, the fact that i like endings that doesn't sound like an ending. i'm a weird writer, why do you even read my s- oh gosh.