Silent Corpse

Silent Corpse

   

"Yoo Jia? Yoo Jia? Yoo Jia!" Jia slowly opened her eyes, her long lashes followed in the process. She scanned her surroundings, a snowy scene with dead trees scattering about the area. 

Jia sat in the passenger seat and as she spun her head to her right she saw a girl her age, 18. Lee Soojung was resting her folded arms on the window sill as she gazed directly at Jia. Soojung was wearing warm and comfortable clothes: knitted beanie with two white strings hanging on the sides, white scraf, pinkish coat, brown leggings, jean skirt, and ugg boots.

She was your girl next door. 

Jia groaned in a groggy way and rubbed her eyes when Soojung reached over and grab her arms, "I'll take your belongings in, come out when you're sober." She said and headed toward the back. 

In the back of the pick-up truck Soojung greeted a Korean Mastiff Dosa who was making his way toward the exit. "Oh Mr. Yoo!" Soojung said in a high-pitched excited voice as he grabbed the heavy dog and carried him off the back and onto the snow. "There you go." She giggled and then grabbed the two blue suitcases. 

Jia handed the hired driver the money and bowed to thank him before exiting the car. She on the other hand was wearing a rather long lemon-tanned coat and a dark blue zipped-up jacket with a furry hoodie. She wore her black boots with no heels as she stepped on the pure white snow bumps. 

Soojung shut the back and slipped her white hands under the handles then lifted the light cases. "Thank you sir!" Soojung called to the hired driver and the elder in the seat waved a hand out of the window. 

"Have a good day!" He called and started the car engine. 

"Yes!" Soojung called once more blowing a puff of smoke into the cold air. As the man drove off, Jia examined her surrounding in more detail. 

The wooden cabin which belonged to her family still looked the same and a long line of smoke was blowing out from the cabin's chimney. The sky was clear of clouds and bright as the sun shone over the northeastern province of Gangwon. Trees around the location carried snow compare to some bared branches. 

The dog referred to as Mr. Yoo was following Soojung toward the direction of the one story cabin. "Jia hurry!" 

Jia heard Soojung's call and replied with a simple 'yeah' sound and took one last glance around then followed shortly. 

Soojung grunted as she dropped the cases on the wooden tiled floor near the grey fabric sofa with two red cushions. She dropped into one side of the sofa, facing the burning woods in the chimney.

Jia wiped her boots on the welcome mat near the front step before entering the building. 

On the side Mr. Yoo was lying down on the rocking chair. Jia walked around and sat beside Soojung, who watched  her move into the room slowly. As Jia sunk into the sofa comfortably Soojung finally spun her head toward Jia, "Hungry?" She asked and Jia formed a thin line with her lips and shook her head. 

Soojung heaved a heavy sigh, "Tired?" 

"A little." Jia replied taking a few peeks at Soojung. 

"Make yourself comfy and nap here. I'll unpack the items you need and leave the rest in the luggages and put it near your bed." She explained and when Jia nodded in agreement, Soojung stood up and grabbed the luggages then moved toward the rooms pass the kitchen. 

Soojung opened up the luggages and shook her head. "Of course, all she packed was Mr. Yoo's toys and food, nothing else." Soojung sighed as she shut the luggage and placed it near the feet of Jia's bed, which was by the door. 

Soojung entered the livingroom and saw Mr. Yoo resting on the couch beside Jia. The two were quietly watching the fire and wood cracks in the chimney. "Are you two hungry?" Soojung asked as she headed into the kitchen and grabbed the handle on the white fridge, then pulled it open. 

"No." Jia answered in her gentle and soft voice. 

"Alrighty then, if you need any help finding anything let me know. I'll be in the room reading." Soojung announced and after hearing a hummed from Jia, she headed back into the room and disappeared. Jia sighed and ran her slim fingers across Mr. Yoo's back. 

"Mr. Yoo. Tomorrow is mom and dad's death anniversary, want to go together?"The dog barked once and earned a giggled from Jia. "Then let's rest so we'll have enough energy to travel the long walk tomorrow." She patted him on the head and then leaned her head on his back. And quickly they fell into a long and comfortable slumber together. 

Little did they know that from far away, someone was watching them. Someone who have been waiting for Jia for a year. 

The next morning Jia was fully clothed with layers of warm clothes. Her attired consists of at least two scrafs, one coat over a sweater and long sleeved shirt, tights under her jeans, two pair of socks, and boots. Mr. Yoo was clothed with a shirt and a little hat. 

Soojung was dressed with less layers, a two sweaters, one knitted beanie, and her tights under her skirt. She wore the same uggs, and as they were ready they stepped outdoor together. Soojung spun around and made shut the door was shut and locked as Jia waited for her with Mr. Yoo. 

"Okay let's go!" Soojung said happily to keep the atmosphere bright and heighten. They stepped onto the snow and traveled down a path between two rows of trees. 

Deeper into the woods. 

After an half an hour of walking through the deep snow. Jia kneel on the soft milky snow beside two gravestone, and placed two white roses she have picked from a thorn bush near the path they took, on top of them. Jia shut her eyes and slapped her hands together, praying in silence. 

Soojung shared her prayers and shut her eyes. Mr. Yoo was sitting near Soojung, panting. 

He barked and in simulation Jia opened her eyes to see him. She smiled at him when it was nothing and shut her eyes again. "Mom and dad. It's been five years since you left the Earth and I know you guys are watching me from above. I'm doing good and getting by, I've become a news-reporter just as we've all planned together. I ask that you continue to watch over me, I really miss you. Mom and dad." Jia prayed alone in silence. 

She slowly opened her eyes and noticed Soojung was still in the middle of praying. Jia smiled weakly at her until she noticed Mr. Yoo was gone. She stood up and scanned the area for him, then panic rushed over her. 

Jia grabbed Soojung's sleeve and pull it a little, the girl opened her eyes and looked over to Jia. "M-Mr. Yoo is gone." Jia said, Soojung frowned and looked toward the ground where she remember last seeing him. 

"What? Where did he go?" Soojung asked to no one in particular. 

"Mr. Yoo? Mr. Yoo! Come here boy!" Jia called and begin departing from the stones. Soojung hopped a little as Jia passed her and moved away. 

"Wait! Let's go together Jia!"

Jia was walking alone down a snowy path, she formed an over with her hands and placed it near . "Mr. Yoo! Where are you?" She called louder. Behind her, Soojung was trying to catch up as she looked around for any signs of the brown dog. 

"Jia!" Soojung called and she wiped her head around, "I'll check this side, if you find him just yell for me!" Soojung explained and Jia nodded. As they separated, Jia continued the lonely path. 

"Mr. Yoo? Mr. Yoo are you here? Boy?" Jia continued to call as she looked around nonstop. Until she came to a dead end and saw Mr. Yoo standing near the center. "Oh Mr. Yoo!" Jia was relieved to see him but strangely he paid no special attention to her. 

On the hill just above the edge, a pair of red eyes were visible. Jia heard a low growl and without a moment to waste she charged toward the dog. "Mr. Yoo!" Jia ran over and wrapped her arms around the old dog, then fell to the ground as a large animal leaped over them. 

Jia was pinned against the hard and cold wall made of dirt and frost. She held onto Mr. Yoo who was barking at the creature and quickly Jia realized it was a large grey wolf. It slowly turned around, giving them full attention.

Mr. Yoo continued to bark as Jia made eye contact with the animal her size. It's tongue was hanging out of its mouth and she could see blood stained on its yellow teeth. Then it started running them at full speed. Jia shut her eyes and held onto Mr. Yoo as tightly as she could. 

She couldn't utter a sound or word due to fear. 

When everything seemed to have paused, she opened one eye to peek at what was happening. In front of her, she saw a man standing face to face with the large wolf with his back to them.  

The wolf looked directly into the cold steel eyes of the man before it. The color of his eyes were faded, appearing as a bright brown. The man had a lot of hair on his head and his skin was as white as the snow itself. He was covered in black clothes, black long sleeve shirt, black leather jacket, black jeans. Even his shoes were the color of coal.

His eyes sparked a flash of dark brown and slowly the wolf begin moving away.  

On a dark and cold night 16-year-old Jia was walking outside alone, trying to find her way back to the cabin after losing her way back from her parent's graves. She was wearing a light white dress and jacket, she could feel the cold around her bare legs.  Across her bare skin around her neck, she could feel her frozen silver chain necklace. 

It had gotten darker faster than what she had expected. 

Jia tripped as she fell off what appears to be a small cliff. She could feel the soft snow against her cold cheeks as she tried to pull herself up with her face buried in snow. In the dark she could hear a crack, wood cracking. 

Then she sat up and could see the silhouette of a falling tree over her. She threw her hands over her head and ducked down. She heard a loud thud as the tree dropped against the snow, the impact of the clash was so gentle that it barely threw any snow into the air. 

Jia breathed in and out heavily as she slowly removed her hands. She looked up and noticed a man squatting beside her in the dark, but all she could see was the color of his bright eyes. 

When she woke up the next morning, she was tucked in bed. Jia sat up and looked around worried, once she was familiar with the room she heaved a relief sigh. Then she placed a hand around her neck and noticed the necklace wasn't there. "My necklace? My necklace, where did it go?" She threw the blanket off her and searched aimlessly. 

She was back at her parents grave once it was bright enough to travel outside alone. 

She found nothing and made her way back to the cabin. 

But she wasn't alone, someone was watching her from behind the dead tree. 

Jia and Mr. Yoo watched in silence. Then the man turned around to face them. He was very good looking, his facial features and skin was flawless. He walked over and squatted beside Jia, looking her right in the eyes. Then the same as before, his eyes sparked a shade of darker brown. 

Soojung ran over as she saw Jia passing carrying Mr. Yoo. "Jia!" She called and the girl turned her attention toward Soojung. Once Soojung reached her, she placed both hands on Jia's arm. "Y-you found him already? Where was he?" She asked, Jia spun her upperbody toward the direction in which she came from. 

"He was over there." She simply replied and Soojung heaved a relief sigh. 

"That's a relief." Soojung pat Mr. Yoo on the head then looked up at the taller girl, "But did you see anything strange?" She asked and Jia knitted her eyebrows in confusion. 

"Strange?"

"Yes, like someone or something, strange?" 

Jia shook her head without hesitation, "No, why would I?"

"Right... Anyway, let's head back to the cabin." Soojung said and Jia nodded with a smile. 

As they made their way toward the cabin. A man was watching them from behind a tree. Soojung took one last look around and when she was scanning toward his direction, the man moved back behind the tree and was unseen by her. 

Soojung smushed her lips together then followed Jia. 

Jia lowered Mr. Yoo onto her bed as she dropped next to him. Soojung entered the room and sat on her bed, which was just on the other side of the room. "Are you guys hungry? I'll cook something for us." Soojung said, Jia sat upright as she rubbed Mr. Yoo's back gently. 

"Soojung, earlier you asked if I saw anything strange." Jia started and Soojung gave her undivided attention, "I think I did see something strange."

"What did you see?"

"I think.... I saw like a flashback of that place? I remember being there."

"What?" Soojung asked again. 

"It was like deja-vu. I saw flashes of myself a long time ago being there."

"What? What do you mean flashbacks? If you remember the place then it's simply memories." Soojung explained. 

"No, it wasn't memories. I don't know that place, I don't remember ever going there.... But for some reason, something's telling me that I have been there before. But I wasn't familiar with the place, it just seemed like a new place." Jia tried to explain but Soojung only shook her head.

"You're not making any sense.... But just promise me you'll keep Mr. Yoo in here and don't let him wander. He might get lost again and out here it's not safe. I'm going to make us something to eat." Soojung said as she stood up and left. 

Soojung stepped into the kitchen and placed a hand over her racing heart, "I thought she saw a vampire or something, luckily that wasn't it." Soojung said and shook her head before pulling out noddle cups.

Jia fell back next to the lying dog and heaved a sigh. "I really saw the flashes.... I feel like something happened there, but why can't I remember what it was?" She asked herself then looked to the dog who had already fallen asleep. 

Jia turned to her side and shut her eyes, taking a short nap. 

Through the window, a man was watching them. He could clearly see Jia's sleeping face. He couldn't turn away from her beauty and stood there until Soojung entered the room a while later. 

At the table they were eating Soojung's ramen in silence. Until Jia broke the ice, "Soojung, I'm taking Mr. Yoo for a walk later-"

"Why? We just got back a while ago." Soojung was against the idea. The breaking news last year still haunts her and her wild imagination of a lurking creature within the woods. 

"I know but even when we're at the city, I barely get to walk Mr. Yoo so-" honestly, Jia just wanted to go back to that area and see if she could recall any particular event. She could feel how similiar that place was, and she wanted to remember more. But it felt like something from stopping her from it. 

"You can't go out again today Jia." Soojung firmly stated which caught Jia off guard. Usually Soojung wouldn't stop her and only support her in whatever she wanted to do. She wanted to spoil Jia in the place of Jia's deceased parents. 

"Why?" Jia asked in a careful tone. 

"Because I said so Jia." 

"You've got to have a better reason, what's so bad about me walking-"

Soojung shut her up by slamming her chopsticks on the table. "You want a better reason? Because it's dangerous Jia, you only come here once a week every year, you don't know what kind of creatures may be out there ready to jump you!" She could see the horror on Jia's face as she suddenly exploded on her. Soojung took in a deep breath to calm herself, "Truth is.... I heard that a group of people who camped just five miles away were killed viciously.... Police believed it was done by an angry animal, but I-I know who and what caused it." 

They locked gazes in silence for a moment, then Soojung finished, "Vampires." 

Jia thought Soojung was just trying to scare her, where in the world does such creature exist? By vampire, did Soojung only mean people who drink others blood and claim to be vampires? "Soojung, it's not funny if you're trying to scare me." 

"I'm not trying to scare you Yoo Jia, I'm telling you. Wait here, I'll show you something." Soojung stood up and vanished behind the door to their room. 

Jia looked down at Mr. Yoo who had finished his meal and was looking at her. Jia gave him a weak smile before Soojung came back and in her hands was a stack of papers. Soojung dropped them in the center of the table then sat across Jia again, "See look here, this is what I found." Soojung pulled an old and rusty newspaper from the stack and showed it to the younger woman. 

Jia looked closely at it, it was an old image of their lodge and in the back a blurry figure could be seen on the black and white paper. When Jia was about to call it BS, Soojung flipped the paper. "Here too, look, two bites was found on the neck of this girl. No animal would kill a human just to their blood, this girl's body was perfectly intact. She only died of blood loss. And here," she pulled a piece of paper from the top of the stack, "see look, another one just ten miles from here. This man was found drained of blood while in his bed, he didn't slight his wrist or anything, but two bites were found on his nape." 

Soojung grabbed more papers from the pile as Jia watched in silence, "Him, this man is someone expert are suspecting as a vampire. For three generation, whenever people around here come to take pictures, it seems like he's always in it. And here," Soojung pointed to the five pictures of the same man with different hairstyle and clothes. They say his name is Hongbin, this man lived during the 17th century and was reported missing at war. However, people keep saying they've seen him. There's also rumors that before he takes his victim's life, he never speak to them. So-"

Soojung slapped the papers onto the table with both palms and looked into Jia's eyes. "From now on don't ever go out alone, especially when it's dark. They say vampires hides in the dark and attack in the dark." Soojung warned. 

Since she herself is a newsreporter. Jia wasn't sure how to take in the information. Telling her vampires are real is like saying mermaids are real and they do wear clothes underwater. As much as she wanted to tell Soojung that it's all in her imagination, the pictures, articles, and reports somehow brought a cold shiver down her spine. 

Jia decided to listen to Soojung for the day and spent her time reading to Mr. Yoo. Night came quicker than what any of them had expected. Soojung was sleeping on her bed while Mr. Yoo slept on Jia's bed. Jia had fallen asleep on the sofa after tucking in Mr. Yoo. 

Slowly the door knob begin to turn. Letting in the breeze and snow. A man walked through the door and stood beside Jia. 

In the distant he can see two figures moving through the woods. He noticed a woman in the arms of a man and instantly realize what was going on. 

Jia's head was leaning against the chest of the heavily covered man. In the deep snow the man was carrying her farther and farther away from the lodge. She was to be his supper. The man came to a stop when he saw another figure getting in his way, up ahead. "Well, isn't it Hongbin." The man started, from afar he could see the bright eyes of the man he called Hongbin. 

The man holding Jia traced the eyes of Hongbin, he noticed the latter was looking at her, worried about her. But everyone know, every vampire know Hongbin's weakness.Or his disablility. "This is my food, go find yours elsewhere." He started, but the lighting of Hongbin's eyes only grew brighter. 

The man knew he was no match for Hongbin. 

That was one major reason why no one other than Hongbin usually roam this part of the world, no one liked or agree with Hongbin's way of life. They believe he's too humane being a vampire. "Fine, I'll look elsewhere." The man threw Jia into the air and dashed over, he tried to throw a punch at Hongbin but missed when Hongbin ran to catch Jia. 

She fell into his arms as he had to kneel down on one knee in order to save her. He could hear the man scoffed from the distant, "Good work, traitor." He said and left them alone. Hongbin held Jia closed to him, Jia opened her eyes slowly.

All she could see was pitch black and the gentle falling of snow. She could feel the arms around her and the stoned body beside her. But due to her tiredness she shut her eyes again and fell asleep in his arms. Hongbin hovered a little over her, to hide her from the incoming snow. 

Back in the living room he slowly lowered her down onto the sofa. He pulled the thin blanket over Jia and looked into her sleeping face. He flashed a smile at her, revealing his dimples, then slowly he reached into his pocket and extracted something Jia had always longed for. 

It was her necklace. 

Hongbin pulled out her hand and gently wrapped the chain around her wrist. The warmth she was emitting, although they had spend a great deal of time outside in the cold, she was still warm. It's been years since Hongbin had personally touch someone so warm. Someone he's been watching. Someone he's been constantly saving. Someone he would always erase the memories of himself. 

He remembered when he first saw her as a toddler. When she would always get lost and he would save her and bring her back home. He wanted to express his feelings for her but the love between humans and vampires was looked down upon by both species. 

If only he could tell her how he feels. 

If only he could talk.

When morning came Jia woke up with a slight headache. She could feel the heavy chain weighing down her hand when she looked down toward it. Her jaw dropped a little and her curiousity shot sky-high. She unwrapped it from her wrist and held it in her palm. "How did this get here?" She asked to herself.

"Oh, you're up?"

Jia shot her head up when she saw Soojung. The older woman greeted her with a smile, but Jia's expression spelled troubled. "Are you alright?" Soojung asked, Jia nodded  a little.

"I just have a slight headache so I'll step outside a bit."

"Huh? Why would you-?" Before Soojung could complete her question, Jia removed the blanket and ran out the front door. "Jia! Your headache will worsen if you leave like-" Jia shut the door and Soojung was dumbstruck. "Jia!" 

Jia ran out the door and toward the direction in which she hoped she'll be able to find him. 

The one who found and returned her necklace. 

She recalled last night, seeing his face. She remembered him, the same man from the newspaper and articles. He was there with her, he returned her and he didn't hurt her. 

Jia stopped in front of the ditch, "Are you there?!" She asked aloud. She could hear her voice echoing around the snowy and cold sightings of the woods. "Hey!" She took deep breath, huffing and puffing smoke out of . 

Jia walked down a snowy path, looking around her for any sign of him. She debated whether she should call his name out loud or not. But whatever she was deciding, she wandered deeper into the woods. Jia slipped down a slippery slope, dragging some snow down with her.

She slid into the truck of a large tree, which kept her from going any deeper. The truck shook and sharp ice crystals on the branch shook. Jia looked up and saw one coming toward her face, she covered her head and shut her eyes while looking down.

From behind someone kicked some snow passed her and she could released a relief breath of fresh air when nothing hit her. Jia turned around and Hongbin behind her, he caught the ice crystal and slowly he kneel down next to her. She looked into his eyes which begin to sparkle a brighter color again, and every memory she had of that light popped up.

She lifted up both of her hands to cut off their eye contact, he was a bit surprised by her action, yet remained knealing on one knee next to her. She slowly lowered her hands when she could still feel his presence. Then she looked into his dark eyes once again.

Vampires are known to be dead, demonic, and beautiful, in order to manipulate people. But never once had Jia recalled an attack or any mark left on her. But as she look into the dead, demonic, and beautiful creature, Hongbin's, eyes she could see nothing but kindness. 

Not just the color of his skin, but even his heart, the color of snow that surrounded them, they all represented the color of pureness. 

Thus a soft smile flashed across her pretty face. 

"Thank you for saving me again. Hongbin."  

 

End.