i. one

Electro Heart

“Everyone differs from each other, right?”


The alarm clock on his bed side starts to ring, signalling him to get up - his left hand roams on the bed side table, hitting everything placed on the furniture; his lava lamp, his phone and watch before succeeding in turning off the alarm. Taeyong groans inwardly as his ears hears the footsteps approaching towards his room, he quickly gets up and grabs his towel, running towards the bathroom.

The door slides itself open and an elder lady in her late 40's enter the chamber, she calls, "Taeyong-ah!" The younger gives her no response; however she continues, "Your father expects you to arrive at the Institution exactly 20 minutes from now," the swooshing of the door trailing behind her as she leaves.

Taeyong hums softly before asking, "Bolt, what time is it?" as he turns on the shower, the cold liquid running down his body. The electronic device gives him a response, "It's half past eight, sir. Would you like me to lay out the clothes for you?" Taeyong shakes his head, "That's fine, I can do that myself," drying himself and heads back into his room as he stands in front of his closet, looking at each array line of clothes.

Bolt makes a beeping sound, warning him, "Sir, you do know this attitude of yours would get you in trouble, yes? They might as well shove you in the Institution and get you 'fixed', if you know what I mean." Taeyong slides in his black denim jeans with a white shirt, finishing himself up with a navy blue tie. He scoffs at Bolt as he slides in his shoes, replying, "They won't shove me in the Institution as long as I stay out of trouble, Bolt and you know that's the only thing I'm good at," grinning at the end of his sentence.

The door slides open and Bolt lets out a siren sound and says, "Mark my words, Sir - don't dig your own grave." The latter shakes his head as he leaves his room, sliding down the swirly stairs. The earlier lady, the maid who woken him up, hits him on his , "Lee Taeyong, you know any form of fun is prohibited in this country now," dragging him to the dining table, he sees a plate placed with two pills. He furrows his brows and asks, "What's that, Midori?"

The lady answers, "It's breakfast, of course." Taeyong crosses his arms, asking, "How do you expect me to be full with just that?" shaking his head as he detour towards the front door. Midori asks, "Young one, your father won't be pleased if you skipped breakfast and you know what happens to those who misbehave," walking towards the younger, a concerned look adorning her face. She had been the one taking care of him after the late Mrs. Lee died due to child birth, that child was Taeyong himself.

The latter flashes a smile, "Midori, he's my father - he won't put his own son in the Institution," walking out of the mansion. Taeyong swiftly whistles and a flying car shows up at the drive way, he leisurely walks towards the vehicle and hears a pop sound. He looks up to the sky and sees a blue streak hitting the atmosphere and convulse into a dome, trapping the whole country.He calls out, "Midori!" and turns his head towards the house entrance.

Midori shows up and replies, "Yes, young master?" Taeyong points to the sky and answers, "Do you know what all that is?" The elder nods her head as she explains, "It's a dome - to keep us safe from Rebels and Democratics, nothing can come in or out. It has its own climate, but don't worry, it still has the four seasons." Taeyong wonders, A dome? Nothing can come in our out, hm. Midori runs over to Taeyong and pushes him, "You're making yourself late! He is so going to kill me, go, now!"

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Taeyong shifts awkwardly in the all-white room, also known as his father's office. The elder clears his throat, "You're late," he says as his fingers flip through the paper works. The latter rubs his nape, somewhat afraid of the lashing he would receive, he replies, "I accidentally slept... In the shower, I-" Mr. Lee cuts his sentence by asking, "Why can't we play with other people's emotions or memories?" and takes a glance at his son.

Taeyong gulps his saliva down his throat, he feels relieved that he didn't take the breakfast pills, he would've threw up. Mr. Lee continues, "Tell me, Taeyong, why can't we toy with emotions or memories?" The younger takes a guess as he answers, "Because it's not ours, you don't toy with other people's emotions or memories because it's not ours - that's like stealing, you're taking away what makes that someone special. Everyone differs from each other, right?" wiping the perspiration formed on his palm on his jeans.

The elder hums softly, nodding at his son's answer, he passes the paper works towards Taeyong and says, "This is your subject, we call it 2903, but it has a name; however, doesn't respond to it when we call out so don't bother." Taeyong looks at it and asks, "You couldn't have put this in a tablet or a computer, huh?" It isn't that thick but it isn't that thin either and Taeyong is nowhere near in being a fan of reading.

Mr. Lee answers, "She was one of the early ones, the first one to live with an electro heart - though, she has no emotions, feelings or memories of herself and what I want you to do is shut her down." Taeyong blinks, surprised at the task he has been given, he raises a brow as he asks, "You mean, you want me to kill her? Why can't one of your workers do that?" Mr. Lee gets up from his seat, "If my workers could do it, I wouldn't have asked you," he says as he pats Taeyong on the shoulder.

"Why don't you do it? She's your experiment," the younger asks, still not believing what his father had assigned him with. Mr. Lee shakes his head, "Fine, if you can't shut her down - make her live, make her have memories, make her have emotions, make her human." Taeyong mumbles to himself, "That shouldn't be too hard, it is a girl after all." Mr. Lee asks, "Are you up for it? If you are, you're dismissed - Ten will take you to her."

Taeyong stands up and follows a young male with fair skin and his hair parted in half, wearing a white sleeveless shirt with white pants. The latter leads him to another building, Taeyong figures it is the place where his father's subjects are. Ten breaks the silence, "You should consider yourself lucky - she's a sight to see." Taeyong furrows his brows, "Who?" he asks. Ten escapes a chuckle and answers, "Your subject, 2903 - she's something," as he stops in front of a room. Ten continues, "Before you take her out, we need to run a few tests on her - you can go in and try talking with her."

Ten keys in a passcode and the door slides open, Ten gestures for Taeyong to enter and he does, the door closes back. The room is also white in colour, the ceiling is high and the room is also well-furnished. Taeyong thought, If I was shoved here, I don't think it'd be so bad. Taeyong looks at the paper work once again and calls, "Bae Joohyun?" He receives no answer, he calls again, "2903."

A girl wrapped in a towel with pink highlights at the end of her hair appears out of nowhere or from the bathroom, Taeyong figures. He shifts awkwardly in the room but his eyes never left the girl and he finally knew what Ten had meant earlier - She is pretty, Taeyong thought. Blinking, he then turns away as he lets the lassie dress up.

The girl leisurely sits down on the sofa, dressed in a silver shirt with shorts. Taeyong looks at her for a few seconds and sits down as well, he greets, "I'm Taeyong," still awkward with the situation. She pays no attention to him, Taeyong hums softly, he looks at the papers again to find any other info but there is nothing to help him.

The door slides open and Ten reappears, Taeyong sees her stiffening. He blinks and asks, "Where are you taking her?" Ten takes a step nearer and Taeyong sees her fingers trembling, he answers, "To run a few tests like we always do everyday." The younger asks, "Can't she skip today? I'll bring her in any other day, promise." Ten shakes his head, "Sorry, no can do - it's the Institution policy," taking her hand, a soft mewl escapes her lips.

Taeyong doesn't give up and asks, "Can't I go and see what she has to do?" Ten shakes his head, "Authorized personnel only, your father wouldn't like it anyway if I took you there. You can wait in the lounge, we'll send her to you," as he disappears along with the girl.

Taeyong waits nervously at the lounge, Ten then arrives with her. He realizes her different set of clothes but doesn't question it, Ten says, "If you need help, I reckon you know where to go." Taeyong nods his head as he takes her hand, practically dragging her away from Ten and the Institution, he doesn't know how long he can stand the color white.


Author's Note:

Thanks a lot to those who subscribed & commented + upvoted, I appreciate the support and feel free to comment if you want any scenes added in the story. It's short, I know but it's sorta like a beginning and I'll try my best to lengthen it from time to time, okay?