Painting desire

A wish for the broken

A shooting star whizzes through the darkest nights, zooming past his stagnant friends. The star glitters with its light, envy to all those who could see and its tail of stardust, a trail of hopes and dreams.

A young boy, hair as black as coal, his skin as pale as the moon and eyes of warm cacao, sits by the window peering at the outside world. He stares upon the sapphire night, dreaming of what he could be and of his wishes coming true. His desire, walking down a velvet road, the vision of Venus, and his own sea of stars enraptured by his voice, his desires were strong.

As he peers at the glittering night, he sees a thin streak of light, scratching the surface of the starry night. In his head the voice of his mother could be heard ‘If you wish upon a shooting star, all you wish for will come no matter how far’. Quick as a flash, he sought the shooting star in hopes it would grant his wish, alas, it was already out of sight. But he was not hopeless, he was not downtrodden, packing the bare necessities he ran out in pursuit of his dreams.

He wandered far north braving the pillowing snow, following the direction of those who had seen where the star had gone until one night he fell upon the soft white plain, his mind at the brink of defeat, until a young maiden came and carried him to a warm fireplace at her inn.

‘What are you doing out in this terrible cold?’ asked the maiden

‘I come in search for a wish granting star, which travelled far over the mountains past this village’ replied Luhan.

‘Your desire must be strong to pursue a wish so far’

‘My desires for looks beyond envy and a voice of angels is what is calling me to capture that star and seize my wish’

The maiden stared at Luhan with wide-eyed confusion

‘It is the bane of humanity to forever endeavour for a greater beauty, however, what will you do when your perception of beauty is moulded by the hands of time after your wish is granted?’ the maiden asked.

Luhan’s eyebrows furrowed slightly as the thought had never occurred to him.

‘Let me show you how the people of my village use the tools bequeathed by those before us to pursue the ever twisting river of beauty’ the maiden pulled out a bag of brushes and powder before Luhan, with a faint smile, she began to paint at Luhan’s face as if it were a blank canvas.

Moments after the maiden procured a mirror and showed it to Luhan.

‘Is that really me?’ he exclaimed in delight for his face now resembled that which he desired, yet still retained his essence.

‘One does not need to change oneself to attain what they desire, change how you perceive beauty and you will become beautiful on your own’ said the maiden. Allowing Luhan a warm bed for the night, the maiden blew out the lights and Luhan drifted off to sleep.

 

Next chapter sneak peek "his eyes a large warm hand was offered to pull him in whom he gladly obliged and reached for the stranger’s hand"