A $ 20 Bet

A $20 Bet

 

“, I’m late.”

“For what?”

“Jung Yunho”

Yoochun threw his head back and laughed.  “Ah, now I remember. You have ‘The Date’. That Jung Yunho, he is your childhood friend, right?”

“Yeah.  He and his family moved to Singapore twelve years ago and we lost contact since then. And now he’s back and staying here for good.” explained Jaejoong.

“So how did he manage to contact you now?”

“My mother”

“Aah”

Jaejoong wandered around his closet looking for the perfect outfit.  At the end he decided to wear black skinny jeans, topped with white shirt with two buttons undone, showing his milky chest, a leather vest and he finished his outfit with knee length black boots.  When he was applying eyeliner to his eyes, Yoochun appeared at the door with a cup of coffee.

“You’re going to meet that Yunho guy dressing like that?”

“Why?” Looking down at his outfit, “Do you think I look okay? Should I change?”

Yoochun scoffed, “Are you trying to impress him because damn Jaejoong, you look amazing” Seeing Jaejoong pinked cheeks, “You are trying to impress him.  Oh.My.God.”

“Shut Up Yoochun”

Yoochun was still giggling when Jaejoong was standing at their apartment door, grabbing keys and making sure he didn’t left anything and ready to go out.

“I’d better go.  Bye Yoochun and for god’s sake stop smiling.  You look like a crazy person.”

Pouting, “Be careful Jae” said Yoochun.

Arriving at the café after 15 minutes drive, he ordered a Hazelnut Latte while waiting for Yunho.  His heart is in frenzy mode and he could barely think.  Suddenly, a man was standing in front of him.

“Jaejoong” that man asked. “Kim Jaejoong?”

Looking up, “Yes?” his voice came out a squeak and he cleared his throat before continue, “Yes, that’s me”

As he took the man that was standing in front of him in: the broad shoulders, the strong jaw, almond eyes and the small face, “Yunho!” yelled Jaejoong.

Yunho held his arms open and Jaejoong hugged him before he stepped back.  They both smiled at each other and Jaejoong had to look away because Yunho’s smile is making him felt like highschool girl with crush.

“What’s up” Yunho said while sitting down in front of Jaejoong.

“I’m good”

Yunho smiled again.

“Coffee?”

Jaejoong waved his hand at a waiter and after the waiter left, Jaejoong said, “You look like you but different, Yunho.”

With a grin on his face, Yunho said, “For the better, I hope.”

“Your crooked teeth! It’s all gone!”

“You sounded like we haven’t met for fifty years” Yunho laughed.

“Twelve years is such a long time Yunho”

“Yes, it is.” Thanking the waiter for the coffee, Yunho took a sip before he continued, “So how are you? What are you doing?”

“Me?” Jaejoong looked down at his latte.  When did he finished drink it?      

Telling Yunho on his work history after he graduated, he asked Yunho the same question.

“How about you?”

“I’m currently managing my family business” He finished drinking his coffee and said, “and that’s it”

“Yunho, come on, you have to tell me more. Is it fun?”

He laughed, “I’ll tell you another day, okay?”

“Okay”

“You used to call me yunnie, yunnie but now hearing you called me Yunho, is funny you know.”

“We were six but now we both are adult.  So I had to act like one”

“Since we both are adult, I guess its okay for me to ask you this kind of questions.  Are you dating or there is a fiancé waiting for you at home?”

Jaejoong was surprised to hear that kind of questions.  And that’s when he realized their knees are touching, Yunho’s pinkie is holding his, linked together and more importantly Yunho is looking at him with so much emotion.

Shaking his head, “No to both” answered Jaejoong. 

Holding Jaejoong’s hand, “Jae”

“Humm” Jaejoong’s heart is pounding wildly and loudly.

“Remember the $20 bet that we made when we were 15, before I moved to Singapore?”

“Yeah, why? That was worse thing that happened to me.  But do tell me, why are you asking?”

“Remember what happened? You told everyone in our neighborhood and also in school, that we are going to get married because you can see the future.  But then I called you a liar because there is no way you can see the future.  Later we betted $20 that we wouldn’t get married”

“You hurt me when you called me a liar” Jaejoong said, pouting.

“Sorry, love.  I’m sorry that I broke your heart” Yunho answered. 

Jaejoong’s heart skipped a beat after he heard that. “Yunho why are bringing this up?” Jaejoong asked.

Standing up from his chair, he kneeled in front of Jaejoong.  Yunho pulled out his wallet from his pants, and took out a crumpled $20 bill and put it in Jaejoong’s hand.  Taking the crumpled bill, Jaejoong can clearly see writing, ‘You Won’ written on it. Feeling confused with this sudden action, Jaejoong looked at Yunho back.

“What is the meaning of this, Yunho?”

“Two weeks ago, I went to visit your parents as my parents requested.  While your mom prepared drinks, I looked around and I saw pictures of you and I fell in love with you, again.  The old feeling that I have for you resurfaced and later I asked your parents for your hand in marriage” Yunho said.

“Everyone proposed to their loved one using ring but for both of us that $20 note is much more meaningful.  You won the bet, my love.  Holding both of Jaejoong’s hand tightly, “Kim Jaejoong, will you do the honor of becoming my wife?”