I Never Left You

The Last Avatar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Why did you give Kai the arrow, Soo? Are you finally done running away? Midnight nudged at his rider’s shoulder. “I just hated him thinking that I was just part of his dreams. All those nights, it was he that suddenly appeared in front of me… and yet he thinks I’m not real. The arrow was to show him that I’m more than a piece of dream.” Kyungsoo sighed. At least you’ve recovered somewhat… no more crying and starving yourself. I must really thank Kai when we get back… It was true that before Kai first appeared, Kyungsoo was still a sobbing mess... blaming himself for what happened back in Zökr’s fortress. After Kai’s nightly visits, Kyungsoo had brightened up so much that he had ceased wallowing and started eating again.

 

Kyungsoo huffed and stood, observing his surroundings. They were in an abandoned forest near the Twin Mountains in the Dark Ruins. Shadow Nation… Kyungsoo’s birthplace and the sad symbol of what he had lost as a child. Being back on home soil had left the boy in a dampened spirit. He wasn’t that glad to be back, especially since the last time he had been here, he had lost everything- his family, and his home.

 

Midnight had questioned his choice of destination when he fled on the dragon after the incident in Middle Nation. Why Shadow Nation? The dragon had asked. Kyungsoo wasn’t here to recollect broken fragments of his past. Kyungsoo was here for answers. He needed to find out more about the Witches, especially Heria, if he had any hope of destroying all bonds she had created between Zökr, herself and Kyungsoo. Breaking off all ties with the Witch and Zökr would allow him to return to Kai.

 

“Where would the Witches reside hmm…” Kyungsoo sighed. He and Midnight had flown across most of the North and Western parts of Shadow Nation for the past few days. Till now, they had yet to come across any signs of the Witches’ Lair. There are always the mountains in the West. Midnight suggested. “OK! Let’s go there today.” Kyungsoo decided and climbed onto his dragon. They flew low above the ground and saw nothing but destruction along the way. It’s been ten years since the downfall of the great Shadow Nation. Till this day, the land remained charred and dead. They flew up one of the mountain peaks and took advantage of their vantage point to pick out any possible signs of the Witches.

 

“It’s impossible that we haven’t seen any sign of them yet…” Kyungsoo huffed impatiently. Relax, Soo. Zökr took weeks to find Heria too. We’ll get them soon enough… Midnight encouraged him. They almost gave up and flew back down when a glint of sunlight caught their attention. It was an open cave at the side of one of mountains in the range. “That’s weird… why would that beam of light fall right onto that dark cave?” Kyungsoo stared questioningly at Midnight who would have shrugged his shoulders if he were human. Should we find out? Kyungsoo nodded, “But be careful… there might be Witches there.” Midnight nodded and took off.

 

It was a small pool of water in the cave that reflected the ray of sunlight. Peeking into the dark cave, Kyungsoo could just barely make out the shelves of books and records, as well as what seemed to be a makeshift bedroom and kitchen. Kyungsoo exchanged glances with Midnight before hopping off the dragon. His hand tightened around his bow, eyes wary in case Heria or any other form of danger would emerge. He stepped towards a wooden table with paper and scrolls sprawled all over. Kyungsoo’s eyes narrowed when he tried to read what was written. From the scribbles, he could just barely make out that this was indeed Heria’s hideout.

 

A forgotten scroll lodged between two thick books gathered his attention. Kyungsoo picked it up and read out its contents, “I have done what you’ve told me to do. They have been hidden and no one apart from her, who possesses the key to the dragon’s revival, will be able to find them. They lie in The Hidden Vortex, deep in the heart of this mountain, where the ghosts of tomorrow’s past will remain, lost to mankind until the right one appears to bring light for their future. Signed, Heria the Last Witch.” Kyungsoo stared up incredulously at Midnight. The words barely made sense to him.

 

“What’s The Hidden Vortex? What is the ‘they’ that she’s referring to? And who is the ‘she’ that is the only one that will be able to find them? Ghosts of tomorrow’s past?” Midnight seemed at a loss too. I’ve never heard of such a thing as The Hidden Vortex in Dragon’s history. “Whatever Heria’s referring to, she had them hidden for a reason… and I’m not sure I want to find out what they are…” Kyungsoo trailed off when he noticed a half-opened book.

 

Curious, he flipped open the book and felt his jaw dropping at what he saw. The first page of the book was a sketch of a blue dragon egg and Midnight. There were the words ‘Hatched and Paired’ stamped below the drawing. “Midnight…” Kyungsoo beckoned his dragon forward, “It’s a record of you.” Kyungsoo flipped to the next page and saw a sketch of a red egg and Hunter. As per the page before, the words ‘Hatched and Paired’ was likewise stamped at the bottom of the page. The next page yielded the same results, and this time it was a record of Whisper that followed. “These are the three dragons that have hatched from the original five that Avatar Rei saved…” Kyungsoo paused before flipping the page.

 

It was a dark green egg that greeted them in the next page. This was unfamiliar to them. Instead of the words ‘Hatched and Paired’ stamped below, there written in blood red words was the word ‘MISSING’ in bold letters. I think this is one of the last two remaining eggs we’re seeking. Kyungsoo nodded, “A green dragon. Hmm… knowing its color is pretty helpful I guess.” Turn the page! There’s one more… Midnight huffed excitedly. And so Kyungsoo did. It was a beautiful indigo dragon egg next. “It’s beautiful…” Kyungsoo breathed out. Even in a sketchy drawing, this dragon was going to be a beauty, Kyungsoo determined. So we have to look for a green and indigo dragon egg… sounds easy. “Not!” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, “We don’t even know where to start looking.”

 

What’s the next page say? Midnight blew out hot air from his nose, successfully blowing the thick page over. Both dragon and rider’s jaw dropped simultaneously. “W-What?” There lied a picture of a mellow yellow egg. It wasn’t the fact that there was another egg out of the five that shocked the pair. Instead, it was the big red word at the bottom that nearly caused them a heart attack. ‘HIDDEN’. The next few pages yielded the same results, brown egg, ivory egg, black egg, pink egg, another red egg… the list goes on. They counted another ten in total. “TEN more Dragon eggs exist?!” Kyungsoo yelped. The more important point is that Heria has them hidden, Soo!

 

“The Hidden Vortex. Heria mentioned hiding the ghosts of tomorrow’s past…” Kyungsoo scratched his nape. “If we interpret the word ‘tomorrow’ to be the future of dragons, this would make dragon eggs the ‘ghosts of tomorrow’s past’ wouldn’t it?” Kyungsoo turned to Midnight. You’re saying that ten dragon eggs are hidden at The Hidden Vortex? Here? Deep in the mountain? “It does sound completely feasible.” Kyungsoo shrugged. I thought that we were the only five left… “We don’t know for sure Midnight… for all we know, this might be a trap by Heria. But there’s no harm looking for The Hidden Vortex? We aren’t any closer to finding the green and indigo egg, so why not explore this clue first?” True…ok. But this mountain is huge! It won’t be easy to find some kind of hidden room or whatnot… Midnight glanced around as if willing for The Hidden Vortex to suddenly appear.

 

We should go soon, Soo! I don’t want Heria to appear suddenly… Kyungsoo nodded and quickly shifted through the remaining papers strewn across the desk. Deeming them useless, Kyungsoo grabbed the huge book that contained the records of the dragon eggs and climbed onto Midnight. They flew over the mountain again just to scout for any possible signs of The Hidden Vortex, but to no avail. Exhausted, they decided to retire back to their previous camping ground.

 

That night, Kyungsoo waited but Kai never appeared. Reluctantly, the boy fell asleep uncomfortably without the warmth of the person that he had grew accustomed to, with an even larger emptiness in his heart. His hand never left its death grip on his necklace. Unbeknownst to him, his sleeping self was being watched by another, a short distance away. 

 

The next day, he decided to consult both Draken and Kruse about the possibility of the hidden Vortex and the secret dragon eggs. It’s definitely possible since Razgard used to be the home of the dragons, Draken hummed. “What’s Razgard?” Kyungsoo asked confused. The mountain from yesterday, Kruse answered. Both Kyungsoo and Midnight’s eyes widened, “WHAT?” Both Faer Gonds rolled their eyes collectively. “Shadow Nation is the home of the original dragonriders?” Didn’t you know? Draken rolled that one eye before continuing, even though dragonriders came from across all seven nations… you could say our headquarters were in the eastern mountains of Shadow Nation- Razgard. Shadow Nation was rumored to be where dragons first originated, so of course the dragonriders would make Razgard their base.

 

“How come no one cared to tell me about this?” Kyungsoo folded his arms and huffed in frustration. I didn’t know too, Soo. Midnight consoled him. “So the Hidden Vortex… that place is real? There are really hidden eggs there?” Draken and Kruse hesitated before replying. We’re not exactly sure since Rei only told me of the five, Draken said. But the book you took from the Witch’s lair… it seems believable. I don’t see why we shouldn’t search for the possibility of such a place, Kruse voiced out.

 

“So any clue as to where the Hidden Vortex would be?” There’s a hidden path straight through the mountain into the heart of Razgard. We can try searching from there. Wherever it is… I’m sure the Witch would have laid plenty of traps and illusions since she didn’t want anyone to find out about the hidden eggs. Be careful, Kyungsoo. The said boy nodded and climbed onto Midnight. “Lead us there Draken,” Kyungsoo said and they took off towards Razgard.

 

They flew pass Heria’s lair, which Kyungsoo was happy to note the absence of the witch, before they were halted by Draken. They landed near a secluded stream approximately three-quarters up the mountain and Draken pointed out a secret passageway that was so not noticeable that never would they have imagined that the pathway would open up to a huge open space right in the heart of the mountain.

 

Welc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter