The Equinox

The Equinox

 

 

 

The Equinox

 

 

At the furthest end of the village is The Bridge, and it’s been there forever. Spread across an impenetrable gorge, it's the only passage into the village, a border that separates the village from the world outside.

The bridge also serves as an inanimate guardian of tradition, with a gate at one of its ends that only opens on the Autumn Equinox. Once a year, from dawn till dusk, people are allowed to travel in and out the village. No villagers dare to return after sundown, for it is equal to banishment. No strangers ever stay past dusk, for they won’t be allowed to leave except in a casket.

 

 

The stranger comes during Taemin’s sixteenth summer to his family’s tavern for lunch and mead; a vagrant who does odd jobs for a merchant. Soapy plates in hand, Taemin stares at the tall stranger with unruly hair and sun-kissed skin, who eats a simple meal with an incredible appetite. Taemin watches him paying the food to his brother; they exchange words and laughter, before he finally left.

By sheer force of curiosity, Taemin puts down the plate he’s washing and discards his apron. He goes outside, his eyes searching, when someone puts a hand on his shoulder and whispers.

“I thought you wouldn’t come that I considered coming back inside to get you.”

Taemin turns around. His gaze meets the warmth of the stranger’s eyes.

 

 

Halfway to sunset, on a heap of straw they lie inside the tavern’s barn. Taemin learns various things about the stranger including his name: Minho. His father was once villager who fell in love with a merchant’s daughter, and chose to follow her outside. They died during typhoid plague, but the story of their meeting inspired Minho to visit the place of his father’s origin.

“Will you look for your father’s family?” Taemin asks animatedly, for in his mind such tales only exist in storytellers’ saga.

Minho stares at him, smilingly. “That’s not my main intention, but maybe some other time.”

“That means—you’ll have to wait until next year. That is, if you still decide to come.” The sadness in Taemin’s voice is apparent.

Minho stares at the younger man’s eyes, deep and clear with a hint of anguish that’s more evident as the sun goes down.

“Then I’ll come again.”

Minho caresses the gracefulness of Taemin’s jaw before kissing him. When he pulls away in breathless anticipation, he whispers close in Taemin’s ears.

“I won’t fail to come on the day when moon is equal to the sun. Wait for me at the gate by dawn."

 

 

It’s then and the years after, and Taemin never fails to be at the gate before dawn on the day of Equinox. When the gate opens, slow from age and rust, Minho is always the first to cross. Taemin opens his arms welcomingly, and Minho will sweep him off his feet. Their embrace will unlikely be concise, their kisses are incessant.

Of all places where they can spend their time, thealways choose the barn. Lying on a heap of straw, Minho tells Taemin about his journey and Taemin listens. They dream about staying together throughout the year and making love under the moon.

In the afternoon, stories become old and words aren’t enough, so they continue with touch. They begin with subtle caresses and butterfly kisses, but it doesn't take long until Taemin gets —Minho’s eyes upon him, his burning kisses, his demanding touch. Outside the barn, the time ticks and people bustle around.

Somewhere halfway to the dusk, they’ll fall asleep in each other’s arm, only to wake up to the sound of siren, a signal that dusk is approaching. And just as how it was at dawn, they’ll embrace each other by the gate. Feelings are told and promises are made. Minho barely succeeds to cross, the last person to pass before the gate is closed.

 

 

It’s the Autumn Equinox on Taemin’s twentieth summer wheen Minho fails to be at the gate at dawn. Taemin searches around, panicking as he does soHe asks someone, whom he’s familiar with throughout the years, for his lover’s whereabouts, and the answer comes out shocking.

“There was a landslide. A lot of coaches fell; some belongs to your lover's master.”

Taemin remains calm while telling himself Minho will appear in no time. But it’s afternoon all of a sudden, and Taemin begins to worry. He waits, unwaveringly still, even when people say Minho won’t arrive that year.

 

 

The siren means nightmare, and Taemin comes close to tears. Around him, people bid farewell and quickly stride through the gate while it's still open. The sun finally sets on the year’s autumn equinox, and the gate is closing. It’s when Taemin sees a figure; familiar though limply approaches from afar.

“Wait!!” He calls out to the gatekeeper. “Let me pass through.”

People’s murmur buzzes in the air. It’s outrageous for villager to interrupt the sacred gate-closing rite.

“You cannot. Wait until next year.” The gatekeeper is adamant.

“Look, one of my feet is already across.” Taemin sighs exasperatedly. “I ask nothing but your mercy.”

“You do realize it calls for banishment.” The gatekeeper warns him.

Taemin closes his eyes and draws a deep breath.

“Then so be it.”

 

 

Taemin runs all the way through the bridge. That time, it’s Minho whose arms are open and widely welcoming. They embrace closely, torn between tears and laughter.

“Why would you cross?” Minho asks concernedly. “You won’t be able to return now.”

Taemin cups his cheek and whispers. “If only you could move faster, would you cross? Even if you’ll remain inside forever?”

Minho shakes his head upon understanding Taemin’s intention. “I will stay wherever if it means I get to stay with you.”

Taemin smiles and glances at the gate that concludes his previous life. Their future together is about to begin.

That night, they make love under the moonlight.

Fin