Finale: The Love Workout

Of Gyms and Jealousies

 

Beads of sweat trickled down his forehead. He knew he was going to suffer one hell of a body ache the following morning, but nothing matters more than him flexing these biceps. Just a few more minutes and he’ll abandon these dumbbells. If only she would look his way…

“Hyung, jinjja that’s too much. The only thing missing is for you to do that hair flip to complete this sweaty, macho look you’ve been desperately aiming for since she walked in here.” his tallest friend whined.

The other two just snickered in the background because their hyung seemed oblivious to the maknae’s anxiety as he continued the exaggerated pushups and weight lifting. He promised himself that he’d stop as soon as she catches a glimpse of him, but that was four hours ago. Four hellish hours of weight lifting and pretending to be so invested in the exercises the instructor was teaching the crowd for free.

“Hyung! Jebal! For the love of humanity, please just stop being a pabo and ask her out!” the youngest whined again.

“Ssh! It’ll be over once she looks my way and sees me doing this. I’ll buy you anything for dinner!” he whispered, still refusing to take his eyes off the girl.

Why does she have to look extra hot today? Her in that white tank top and that fitted jogging pants. It was a struggle to keep his smile to himself, otherwise, people would mistake him for a ert. He’s too busy multitasking (staring at the girl while lifting weights) to even care about his friends’ complaints.

“You said that FOUR HOURS ago, hyung! FOUR HOURS!!! You could’ve saved us all the effort if only you’d stop chickening out and be a man by approaching her! Seriously, what’s taking you so long? We’ve been at this for the past six months!!! There’s not an ounce of fat in me that’s left to burn!” the youngest protested. However, the hyung is still too preoccupied with a certain girl.

“Hey, at least you have to thank me for that six pack you’ve achieved because of this. You know what, Shin-ah? Instead of lecturing me about being a man, why don’t you go do a demo and ask out her friend? The one you’ve been eyeing on for quite some time.” He smirked.

The maknae’s jaw dropped and blush immediately crept to his cheeks.

“Yes, Shin-ah. You were that obvious. Jonghyun hyung and I were just counting the days till you imitate Yonghwa hyung’s pathetic way to get a girl’s attention.” the guy with an eye smile laughed.

“Easy for you to say. You got yourself a girlfriend.” The maknae replied.

“You and Yonghwa hyung would’ve gotten yourselves one too if you stop trying to be so obsessed with the barbells and treadmill and start going after the girl.” the pale one joined.

The maknae and the hyung looked at each other. Understanding was evident through their eyes. It to be a single dude. Yeah, maybe they do need to do more of that pushups and add in some jumping jacks while they're at it.

 

 

line.gif

 

 

Her white tank top clung to her body. She felt hot and is dying to go hop in the shower to be refreshed. She hates being all sweaty and she was never that much of a gym freak before, but nothing matters more than to have him appreciate her “assets” by stretching out or striking a cold city girl kind of pose while using the treadmill.

“How long do we have to stay here? I want to go take a shower already!” the blonde girl asked.

“Just a little bit more unnie. He just has to see me doing these exercises and that’s it.” the culprit replied, still busy trying to do some stretching that she thinks would accentuate her "S line."

“But you said that four hours ago! FOUR HOURS!!! Not to mention, the additional two we spent stalking him and his friends!” the shorter one replied.

“Unnie! I promise I’ll treat you to dinner after this! Besides, I just asked you two to accompany me, not to do the workouts yourselves.” She reasoned out, her eyes still glued to that guy lifting those weights.

He’s so y in that black fitted shirt he’s wearing. Why does it have to be sleeveless too? Those biceps… Her daydream was cut short when she heard her unnies snap their fingers and waved their hands in front of her face.

“And what would we do here? Go sunbathing? Read a book? Sleep? There are places to do those things and you can’t expect us to lounge in here like your PA or act like some nugus who have no idea what a gym is for.” the blonde one ranted.

The youngest of the three didn’t care as she tried to concentrate on flaunting this S line she worked so hard to achieve. Why does he keep talking to his friends? Especially that tall guy with a slightly huge nose? If only he’d look her way, the torture would come to an end.

What she doesn’t notice is whenever she turns back to talk to her unnies, tie her shoelace, or do anything at all when her eyes are not glued to him, that’s the moment he looks at her. If only timing wasn’t such a b*tch, then the five innocent people’s torment could’ve ended earlier.

 

line.gif

 

It all started nine months ago. They were both running late for work and ended up sharing a cab just so they could possibly get there on time. It was fortunate that their office buildings were located right across from the other, and though the taxi ride was really awkward and embarrassing, they honestly didn’t have a choice. Eye contact was only established when they got down and said their farewells. Cliché, cheesy, and crazy as it may seem, but time seemed to have stopped, everything and everyone ceased to exist but the two of them. It’s like they were the only clear picture in a movie being played on fast forward.

Since then, they started asking around. Or to be more accurate, they started “stalking” each other, much to the dismay and annoyance of their friends. She hated Japanese cuisine but when she heard that he frequents the nearby restaurant to have his lunch, she endured all those dishes just so she could see him.

“But I thought you hate Japanese food?” her officemate once asked.

“Not anymore.” her unnies laughed.

It was cute at first but once they’ve tasted and ordered everything that is on the menu, the complaints began. On the other side, he hates tea. Especially the milk tea craze that’s caught the young pros in their area for some time. He hates the taste a lot but when he found out that she loves to hang out there after work hours, he endured all those milk teas (wintermelon, caramel, chocolate, etc etc) just so he could see her.

“I thought you said this tastes disgusting?” his officemate asked.

“Not anymore.” his friend laughed.

It was cute at first, seeing him be weak because of a girl, but when you’ve got enough sugar on your system to last for a decade, the complaints began. The cycle went on until the last draw was the gym thing. He overheard her gushing with her unnies about an actor flashing his abs on that makjang drama his mother watches. She overheard him and his friends admiring an actress’s S line when a CF was shown on the screen. And thus, the workout began.

 

line.gif

 

They fell into the same routine again, but add in some assuming, clingy people in the mix, and their jealousy heightened. She thinks he’s here to impress someone else, aka that flirty receptionist. He thinks she has a thing for the gym instructor whose head is smaller than his overly buffed muscles. Their friends think the two should just talk and get this over with.  

“So as I was saying, maybe you’d like to go for some coffee sometime?” the receptionist whose name tag says “Jinnie” asked.

“Huh? What? No. Sorry. Bye.” He dismissed her easily.

On the other hand, she was burning in jealousy upon seeing that pesky receptionist always clinging to him like a leech.

“Hey, as I was saying, I think it’s better if you bend over here like this. Yeah. That.” the gym instructor said. He tried to hold her waist in an attempt to mask his ersion by teaching whatever exercise or so, but she brushed off his hand harshly.

“No. I’m fine. Sorry. Bye.” She dismissed him, clearly annoyed that he’s blocking her view.

Her eyes widened upon seeing that receptionist stuck her chest out and tried to brush it against her man’s arm. Possessive and childish as it may seem but just a little bit more and she’ll honestly pull that girl’s hair. His fists clenched when he saw that instructor hold his girl’s waist while giving her that dirty look. Just a little bit more and he’ll finally be able to use all these muscles by punching his face.

Their friends thought that their misery would end upon the jealous fits the two were having, but to their horror, the cycle just went on for another week. An another. And another. Add two more. It was boring, frustrating, tiring, and pointless at the same time. These two need more than just a bunch of pretentious workouts to finally be together.

 

line.gif

 

They thought things were progressing when the two started talking. That is, if exchanging a shy “hi, hello, yeah, bye” could be considered a conversation. Their hopes rose that time when she slipped, but he caught her just in time before she lost her balance. That particular scene could literally be defined as a  moment wherein she was swept off her feet. They thought that their cheers and hoots would encourage the two to join forces and say it’s nothing, but to their dismay, both ran on opposite directions. They were plotting the most evil of ways to get the two to have an actual conversation but all plans were put on a halt when they saw him and her shake hands. They thought they were exchanging numbers, it just so happened that there was nothing more than a handshake. Nothing.

Just when they thought that a miracle could finally occur, they fell back into the same pattern of hi-hellos, a random romcom movie type of scenario then blank, and alas, the regular trips to the gym. This time, it was worst.

The two were so damn obvious with trying to impress one another, at the same time invoking jealousy (him not discouraging the receptionist and her flirting with the small headed gym instructor) that their friends just sighed, scratched the back of their heads in frustration, to witness something so “tragic.”

His friends tried several times to push him to her. They even went as far as shouting out loud, asking if he prefers the dumbbells to a date. Her friends tried to make her give up on the age-old tactic of using another guy to make the one she wants jealous. The gym instructor reeked of perspiration and his body odor was such a turn off. However, stubborn-headed adults, not to mention, shy and helpless pabos in love, are hard to deal with.

“I’ve had enough of this! I only have one day off a week and he drags me to that gym just to watch him be helpless in front of a girl he’s been in love with for almost a year now!!! Why can’t my hyung be a hyung and just go after her?! Is it that hard to introduce himself and ask for her number?! Is it?!!!!!” Jungshin yelled.

“I don’t know, Jungshin-ah. You tell us. Is it that hard for you to ask out her friend you’ve been infatuated with too?” Jonghyun .

“That’s different hyung!” he defended.

“I don’t see the difference.” Minhyuk said.

“Aish! That’s not important. All I know is I want to stop spending my Saturdays cooped up with some vain namjas who care all about their muscles, be dragged to a milk tea café every day after work, ride in the same bus when I could take another one and so on and so forth! I cannot take this anymore. SHIRRROOOOOO!” he screamed at the top of his lungs. He felt someone tap his shoulder and blood rushed to his face upon seeing who that person is. The friend. That blonde girl with an innocent, youthful face. The one her hyung’s girl calls as “Taenggoo unnie.”

“Uh…hi? Are you Jung Yonghwa’s roommate?” she asked.

“Ah..eh…uh…I…ye…yeah… I mean, yes. I am. I am? I am.” he stuttered.

“And just five minutes ago he called hyung pathetic.” Minhyuk whispered. Jungshin heard that and though he wanted to glare at him, he was stuck in a daze brought about by this lovely girl standing in front of him.

“Perfect! Now as you all probably know, our dear Joohyun has a thing for your hyung.” The girl with the eye-smile announced.

“And I think it’s not a secret either that our treasured Yonghwa hyung is just as into her as she into him.” Jonghyun answered.

“So, let’s cut to the chase. All of us agree here that this cute stupidity has to end, right? Who’s with me?” Taeyeon asked. The rest of them raised their hands.

They looked at each other and smiled. Maybe when Jung Yonghwa and Seo Joohyun fell in love, it wasn’t just the two who gained an instant connection. Maybe such a thing was extended to their friends. Unbelievable, childish, and corny as that may appear to be but as long as their heads are geared towards achieving one goal, then all is fine.

 

line.gif

 

It took only three days after the two parties joined forces for Yonghwa and Seohyun to finally talk to each other. It’s not like they had any say in the matter though, since those teenagers masquerading as adults (aka their friends) forcefully locked them inside that gym, leaving no room for escape.

They called out for help and they thought they could get out when the security guard peeked at the window and called out,

“Make sure you clean up your “mess” when I come back in to let you out tomorrow! Aish, jinjja. Youngsters nowadays. Gyms? Mwolla. Goodnight!”

They shouted their explanations but it was of no use. The next two hours were painfully silent and awkward. They sat on opposite ends of the room until the loud thunder made her scream and he ran to her side. He wrapped his arms around her, his protective instinct winning over his cowardice. That is, until they realized their position so they reluctantly let each other go. They sat side by side and after one minute of silence, he finally spoke.

“It’s awkward, isn’t it?” he asked.
“Uh, not really.” She denied.

Thirty seconds later, she took it back and said,

“You’re right. It is awkward.”

They laughed at themselves and of the situation. He finally introduced himself and so did she. The conversation naturally flowed from then on, and they didn’t even realize they’ve been talking for hours until they fell asleep and woke up to the sound of camera clicks and loud jeers.

“So, how’s the love workout? With all the equipment here you two probably had a blast!” their friends laughed.

Their faces turned crimson and though they kept saying that nothing of that sort occurred, all explanations were dismissed. It doesn’t really matter though, because from that point on, things finally changed and progressed on the right path.

 

line.gif

 

They’ve been dating for a year already. It’s been great, though not free from imperfections. They were such a sickeningly cute and endearing couple until Lee Jungshin and Kim Taeyeon stole the crown from them, except Jungshin ended up dating someone else and so did Kim Taeyeon, meaning, there’s twice as much mushy couples added to the group.

They just celebrated their first anniversary. It was a simple romantic dinner date, followed by a walk alongside the Han River, and finally, revisiting the places that’s a part of their milestone as a couple - the Japanese resto, that milk tea shop, lastly, the gym. That gym. Once they reached the building, they couldn’t stop laughing at the ridiculousness of their early days of trying to get the other to pay attention.

“Happy anniversary, Hyun. I love you. Our hearts belong together. And without yours, mine will stop beating….” He started.

She felt tears stinging her eyes and though she was going to call him out for stealing that quote/line from a novel she forced him to read but not before she says a cheesy line in response, he smiled playfully and said,

“…Unless, you start wearing that white tank top and fitted pants while doing those workout exercises.” He laughed.

Way to ruin the mood. She hit his shoulder but by instinct (and experience), he was able to dodge it. Sometimes she wonders if this choding is the same namja she fell in love with. She looked at him laughing his heart out and the answer came in immediately. Yep, this is the man she fell in love with. Definitely the one and only,  Jung Yonghwa.

He could sense her slight annoyance so before it could escalate to anger, he wrapped her in a bear hug that he knew would melt his and her heart. It’s great to be in love. He thought. He kissed the top of her head and smiled as he felt her hug him back.

“I love you too, Yong. I wish I could say something cheesy to make you blush and grin but I forgot that quote because of that tank top comment of yours.” She pouted.

He bent down to look at her and said,

“It’s okay. You’re more than enough. See this?” he said as he pointed to his widely stretched grin.

“Feel this?” he took her hand and placed it above his heart.

“This is the grin that’s almost going to rip my cheeks because of you. And this is my heart that always beat fast out of the overflowing love I have for you. Aigoo, I’m being too mushy again. You don’t have to say or do anything, Hyun. I love you. Ahrasseo?”

She nodded, threw her head back and laughed. Once done, she leaned closer again, brushed the tips of their noses, and with eyes closed, she replied,

“I still want to throw a cheesy pickup line but you’re right. Ahrasseo Yong. I love you too. Nomu nomu saranghae. Happy anniversary.”

With that, they finally shared a kiss so sweet, passionate, and loving. To be honest, the fireworks display was the only thing missing in this picturesque scenario. Once they pulled back, he had this weird and unreadable expression on his face. Then out of the blue, he lifted his shirt, just enough for her to get a glorious view of his six pack. She blushed and squealed as he kept on laughing. He put his shirt back down, smirked naughtily and finally asked,

“So, do you like my abs? I’ve wanted to ask you this since we started dating. After all, I did go to the gym for you.”

Her embarrassment from that unexpected show of his vanished to thin air as she laughed out loud and lifted her own shirt up, just enough for him to see the outline of her own abs. That “11” type of figure she achieved from all those gruesome and silly workout sessions.

“Only if you like mine. After all, I also did go to the gym for you.” she smirked.

He was stunned for a while until he too, joined her in laughter. Just when they were moving in for another kiss, the rain poured. Maybe the fireworks didn’t happen, but the rain is romantic enough to complete their special day.

Love did work out in the end, and with that, this chapter of their story has concluded and another one is soon to begin.

 

 

 

~End~

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s Note:

 

Though 8 pages isn’t something that could be labeled as “short” I think this one passed off being “simple, random, and nothing much” as I said in my foreword. 2 days ago, I noticed that gift icon on my profile. I’m officially one year old in AFF last October 13. Wow. Time flies so fast. From the silent reader that I am, to an active one, and well, whatever. The cringe-fluff stories I still can’t believe I’m capable of writing. Lol. So to celebrate (as if there’s a need to do so), consider this as a present (a belated one) from me to you or me to me. Okay that was confusing but I think you get my point. :p

I can’t think of anything else to say and it’s past 2am here so, yeah. That’s it. Again, happy AFF anniversary to me and have a good day to you!

Thanks for reading. ^^