Final

Struggles Of Being Transgender

 

“Okay, class, please welcome our new student who just moved here with his family and will be attending our school from now on. Introduce yourself, please,” the teacher said to the brown haired boy next to him.

“Hello everyone, I’m Kim Kibum and I’m sixteen years old. Nice to meet you,” he said in a happy tone and bowed to the class before the teacher told him to sit down at the free spot which happened to be next to Taemin who welcomed the newcomer happily.

It seemed like the two of them got along rather well and during lunch Taemin introduced Kibum to Minho who was also in their grade and to his other friends Jonghyun and Onew who were both above them.

“Nice to meet you,” Onew said smilingly. “I hope Taemin didn’t freak you out yet.”

Kibum chuckled and shook his head. “He didn’t, he’s a sweetheart,” he said and hugged the grinning male close.

“Wait until you get to know him, there is a little devil hidden underneath that innocent smile,” Jonghyun stated with a smirk and was hit by the maknae’s bag for that.

“Shut up, you mutated dinosaur.”

 

Things developed rather quickly and Kibum adjusted to his new life just fine. The four of them did all kind of things together, went out to karaoke, dinner and just everything they could think about.

Kibum was a nice guy, he almost always smiled and was rarely angry at something or –one though he liked to nag sometimes.

He was glad the other four had taken him into their group so willingly and he couldn’t have wished for better new friends. He just hoped it would stay like that.

 

They had PE at the moment and Kibum once again had changed without anyone noticing how he had taken off his clothes and had put on his sportswear. He was really good at this as if he wanted to hide something.

 

The four friends were walking home from an evening at the karaoke bar while it was already dark outside. Kibum hadn’t been able to join him because of something that had come up regarding his family.

“Dude, I hit the last note perfectly,” Jonghyun said proudly and Minho snorted.

“Except that your head was as red as a tomato.”

“Yah!” the puppy-eyed male complained and punched his taller friend’s shoulder as revenge.

“Kids, don’t fight in public please,” Onew voice came from behind them and Taemin snickered behind his hands.

“Stupid frog,” Jonghyun muttered and kicked an innocent stone that was in his way with a pout, wanting to sulk a little longer but something else disturbed his try.

“Come, just let us have a bit of fun,” a quiet and hoarse male voice reached the friends’ ears and they all stopped walking to listen what was going on.

“No, leave me alone,” another quiet voice pleaded, obviously belonging to a girl.

“Aww don’t be like that,” a second male voice came up. “We know you’ll enjoy it.”

“No, don’t touch me!” the girl cried out and the four friends were quick to round the corner which was the entrance of a narrow alleyway and spotted two older men and the girl they had heard speak before.

One of the men held the girl’s wrists while the other was gripping onto her hoody-dress, in the middle of taking it off.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Minho asked coldly and the two men looked at each other before they glared at the tall teen.

“None of your business,” one of them spat while the other tried to walk away and dragged the struggling, scared looking girl behind himself.

“I don’t think so,” Onew said and took one of the girl’s wrists, preventing her from going any further while Jonghyun punched the man square in the jaw, causing him to let go of the small arm which had been in his hold previously.

After a few more punches from Jonghyun and even a kick from Taemin the two men finally left and the attention was draw back to the shaking girl in Onew’s arms.

“Are you okay?” the oldest asked worriedly and the girl nodded, her eyes drawn towards the floor.

“T-thank you,” she whispered quietly and in all of the guys’ minds rang a bell. That voice sounded awfully familiar but they couldn’t quiet put their finger on it until-

“Kibum?!” Jonghyun asked bewildered and they all watched how the girl bit her lower lip.

“No, no, no this can’t be,” Taemin said and carefully tilted the girl’s chin up so she had to look into his eyes. After quite some while he came to the conclusion that this person indeed was Kibum, their friend from school.

“You…” he stammered but didn’t know what to say.

The girl or rather Kibum took a step back and lowered her…his head. “Yes,” he/she said quietly, not daring to look at his/her friends.

“But…why…?” Minho asked and pointed to the other’s dress questioningly.

“Please don’t tell anyone,” Kibum pleaded with begging eyes and looked at his friend desperately. “I…I……I can explain,” he said quietly.

“Well, we’re listening,” Jonghyun said and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“I’m…” Kibum started but seemed to struggle with himself and the way he could phrase his words the best. He sighed and lowered his head, figuring that there was no way to phrase it than just state the facts bluntly.

“I’m to 100% percent a guy,” he finally said and the others just raised their eyebrows.

“So you’re into crossdressing?” Taemin asked carefully but Kibum shook his head.

“No, I…” the seemingly dress wearing boy still struggled because this was quite a big deal for him. “My mind is a boy but…my body is not.”

Silence overtook the place for some moments. “So you are a chick?” Jonghyun asked, feeling a bit confused about this whole situation.

“I’m not,” Kibum insisted, his eyes showing that he was really desperate at the moment. “I’m a boy, just not…this,” he gestured down at himself.

“It’s called being transgender,” he mumbled quietly and looked down again.

The four friends needed quite some time to think about what they had just been told.

“So biologically,” Onew started carefully and Kibum peeked him from under his lashes. “You are a girl but you live as a boy.”

“Yes,” Kibum said quietly.

“But if you want….are,” Minho corrected himself quickly. “A boy why do you dress like this?” he questioned.

“I’m only allowed to be a boy at school. My parents don’t want to deal with their mess of a son personally or get any weird stares so I have to do this,” Kibum said sadly and picked at his pink hoody-dress like it was bothering him which it probably did. He didn’t enjoy dressing like this at all but it was better than being threatened to live on the streets.

“I know this is really disturbing for you but please don’t tell anyone,” he begged his friends. “I would have to change schools again and I…I really like our school and how it is now,” he said and hung his head.

What he didn’t expect was to be hugged by multiply pairs of arms from all sides. His eyes widened and he couldn’t believe what was happening.

“G-guys?” he questioned meekly.

“This doesn’t make you a different person,” Onew said.

“You’re still our friend,” Taemin stated happily and Kibum felt how his eyes got watery and soon the first tears rolled down his cheeks.

“Thank you,” he whispered and buried his face in the closest shoulder which happened to be Jonghyun’s.

 

The four walked Kibum home and bid their farewell, thinking about what happened some more once they got home as well.

 

The next day Kibum came to school looking like always and after a few seconds the awkwardness was like blow away as Onew stumbled over his backpack.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Thanks for reading everyone <3