Time

Time

A very tired and battered Yunho walked through the front door of his house to find his 10 year old son Changmin, or chami as he likes to call him, sitting on the floor next to the couch closer to the door.

Avoiding his son's sad and searching eyes he started to remove his coat and shoes. When he is done he walked straight to his son and carried him off the floor giving him a tight hug and a kiss on his forehead in the process.

“how are you doing tonight, chami?”

“daddy, how much do you make an hour?”

Yunho sighed and placed his son on the kitchen counter proceeding to open the fridge and take out whatever dinner his maid has cooked for him prior to her leave for the day.  The only thing he values in his life is his work and his son. Alongside his employees at the company, his maid and changmin’s nanny. Although this is not something to brag about or that it is something many others considered as a lonely life he was content with it.

Since his high school sweetheart died a few years back, when his chami was 4, everything has become lackluster for yunho. The only reason he also didn’t give up on life is the precious gift she left behind for him, his son.

Soon after the funeral, He buried himself in his work, determined to build a future, a legacy, for his one and only son before he too follows his soul-mate and join her in eternity.  Life as yunho knows it now is work – more work – and getting home to his son at 1AM  in the morning to kiss his sleeping form good night. Weekends are spent the same way except he gets home at an early hour than the weekdays.

 

“chami, can the smart mouthing wait until i put something in my stomach?  And what happened to hello daddy? How was your day? … Where are your manners?”  said yunho in a fake angry voice.

“but, I really want to know?”

“why?”

“i will tell you later?”

"I make 50$ an hour son”  said yunho feeling confused  “ now tell me why you wanted to know?”
 

“Daddy, can I borrow 30$?”  changmin asked with a hopeful voice

“Jung changmin ... I told you many times already you have to earn your money. I also remember giving you 5$ yesterday for your weekly allowance. Now stop being a brat and go wait for me in your bed room. I will be back with your story book after I finish eating my dinner … in peace.”

 

Feeling dejected and even sadder than before, changmin jumped of  the kitchen counter and started walking towards his bed room. Head down and teary eyes staring at his little feet.

Yunho felt horrible as soon as his son disappeared from his eye sight.  He understands it is wrong to let his work frustration out on his son but sometimes his anger gets out of control.

He started eating his dinner faster determined to apologize to his son and make it up to him by reading his favorite story book, ‘Bat Man’ followed by a good and long snuggle which changmin loves more than anything. If it was up to him he would move to his father’s bed and sleep there all the time.  His kid was a brat like that.

As soon as his dinner is finished and he is changed into a much more comfortable night wear. Yunho makes his move to his son’s bed room and knocked at the door. When he got no answer he opened it himself to be greeted with a stiff darkness, he called out:

 “chami?” … when he got no response he tried again:

“son, are you sleeping?”  still no response.

He turned the lights on to find his son curled in the middle of his bed with his favorite stuffed toy, Mr. Teddy, at hand. His eyes were puffy and red which is an indication that his son had been crying.  Yunho felt worse than before.

Running towards the bed, he gathered his son in his arms and started  showering him with kisses, followed by a whispered ‘I’m sorry’ and ‘I love you’.  his son for his part said nothing and just continued to snuggle in the crook of his father’s neck.  

Sighing loudly, yunho carried changmin to his bedroom and settled him down onto the bed and started rummaging around for his wallet sitting on the messy nightstand. When he found what he is looking for he took 30$ out and gave it to his son.

“There you go chami. I’m sorry I yelled at you. I should’ve asked why you want the money. I’m sure you have a good reason… Sorry for being inconsiderate baby.”

Changmin got his face out of  ‘Mr. Teddy’s’ big furry belly, accompanied by the most heartwarming smile yunho has ever seen, and asked .. “Really daddy? .. can I take it?”

“Yes love, but you have to tell me why.”

Without a response changmin took the money and sprinted to his bed room. When he came back he had other money notes in his hand. He then started to count all of them together and when he is satisfied with the amount he found at the end of his count.

He presented all the money to his father. “daddy, here is 50$ dollars, can I buy one hour of your day time tomorrow so we can go to the park together?...  like my friends?”

Yunho was left speechless for the first time in his life.  That is saying a lot considering he spends 16 hours a day talking to possible clients. For the first time ever he questioned what he is doing in life.

After staring at his son for what felt like an hour, he cleared his throat and asked “is this why you wanted the 30$ dollars… where did you get the 20$?”

“I saved my allowance for a month daddy, now can I buy your time?...  please” said an eager changmin throwing hopeful eyes at his dad.

Yunho, for the second time that night, gathered his son in his arms and showered him with kisses followed by ‘I’m so sorry’ and an ‘I love you very much’ … he vowed to himself, he would never make his son feel this way ever again that he will never forgot his number one priority.

--- The end ---