Chapter 1: The Reunion

Full House

The story starts with a white house on top of a mountain and two boys who can't keep their mouths shut as the car they're in slowly makes it way up the mountain and closer to the house.

"No way, Mark! Is this really where you're going to live?" a 4 year old Jackson Wang asks the boy beside him. 

Mark Tuan nods at Jackson, puffing out his chest slightly, proud of his new home.

"I will be living here with my grandpa while my mom and dad are away," he says, smiling.

"Whooooa. Uncle, auntie, can I live here too?" Jackson asks, bouncing up and down his seat excitedly.

Mark's dad laughs at the little boy. "Maybe once you're older, son," he says.

Jackson pouts. "But I want to live here now."

Mark's mom shoots him a gentle smile. "Wait until you get older...maybe when you're 21?"

"21??? But that's...that's...." Jackson slumps down on his seat, attempting to count with all of his little fingers. He gives up a second later and looks at Mark's parents forlornly. "That's gonna take a while."

Mark's dad pulls up to the driveway and ruffles Jackson's hair as soon as the boy gets out of the car. "It's going to take a while because living in a house like this means a lot of responsbilities - responsibilities that you can only handle as a grown up."

Jackson pouts even more and is about to retort (because Jackson always has to have the last word) but he gets distracted when Mark grabs his hand to make their way up the front steps of the house.

The housemaid opens the door for the family and the two boys 'ohhh' and 'ahhh' at every sight they see - from the grand staircase leading to the 2nd floor foyer to the ceiling to floor windows that surround the living room area. 

But the one thing that really caught the boys' attention is right outside the windows - a lush garden overlooking the city of Seoul, waiting to be explored.

The boys waste no time running towards the garden, already planning out their adventures from nerf guns fights to slip and slide parties. 

If only they'd look back, they would have noticed the grim looks on the faces of Mark's parents.

*~*~*~*~

The boys spend the rest of the afternoon in the garden until Mark's mom offers them crayons and papers. 

"How about coming inside to color, boys?"

The two boys grin from ear to ear, racing towards the house.

They take place in the living room, side by side. Jackson picks up a blue crayon and furrows his eyebrows, thinking of what to draw. He finally takes a peek at his best friend who is frantically doodling on his paper.

"What are you trying to draw, Mark?" he asks.

Mark pauses and grins toward Jackson. "I'm not drawing. I'm writing a friendship promise letter."

"Friendship promise letter?"

Mark nods his head. "It's a promise that when you turn 21 like appa said, I'll give you this house."

Jackson gasps. "For me? Really? This whole house?! For myself?!?!!"

Mark hums a "mhmm" for confirmation. "Because you're my only friend here. And if you didn't save me from the bullies at school, I don't know what would have happened to me. It is hard for me to make a lot of friends because we move a lot from one place to another," Mark says sadly. "But it's okay because now you're here and you're my best friend forever. That's why I'm giving you this house when we are older. That's what best friends do, right?"

Jackson just stares at Mark wordlessly for a few seconds. Mark thinks he may have said the wrong thing and is about to apologize when Jackson engulfs him in a tight hug.

"You're my best friend forever and ever and ever."

Mark laughs as he hugs his best friend back. "Forever and ever and ever."

*~*~*~*

Forever lasts until about later that night when Mark's parents tell him that they're about to leave - not only to bring Jackson home but also to catch their flight that night.

Jackson is inconsolable, begging and asking to stay the night but Mark's parents give a resounding no. The only way he stops crying is when Mark hugs him and promises that he can drop by tomorrow to play. 

They say their goodbyes, his parents giving him the longest hugs they've ever given him, and with that Mark is left alone in silence. He decides to make his way to the living room where, just moments ago, he was laughing and having fun with Jackson.

The first few minutes of being left alone leaves Mark with a bad feeling. He wants to see his mom and dad again. He wants to be able to spend the night with Jackson.

He holds back the tears that are starting to form because he's 5 now and 5 year old boys don't cry for their mommies and daddies anymore.

Just when he is about to move from his spot, the front door opens. He smiles happily, knowing that it is his grandfather at the door.

"Grandfather!!" he screams, wanting to get a hug from the man he hasn't seen in a while. He runs up to him and is about to envelop the old man in a hug when the old man steps to the side. Mark misses him, falls to the ground, and whines. "Grandfather, why..."

The old man does nothing. "Get up, Mark."

Mark pouts. "I don't want to. It hurts."

"I'm giving you the count of three to get up."

"No, not until you give me a hug," Mark says, laughing.

His grandfather scoffs.

"Fine, then just lay there," he says, stalking off towards the living room.

Mark, feeling embarrassed, quickly gets up and follows his grandfather, confused.

His grandfather has always been kind, warm, and loving towards him but now he's being really cold. 

He approaches his grandfather slowly, scared that he's going to set the old man off.

"Sit in front of me, Mark," his grandfather says.

Mark quickly complies, sitting on the couch across his grandfather.

"Do you know why your parents left you here?"

"Because they're going away on a trip."

His grandfather shook his head no.

"T...then why?"

"Because, my boy, you're 6 now, and as the heir to the Tuan Corporations, you begin your training today."

"Training for what, grandfather?"

"Training to take over the company."

"B..but I'm only a baby."

His grandfather scoffs. "Your parents have spoiled you too much if you think you're still a baby at your age."

Mark doesn't fully quite understand what his grandfather is saying but he figures that keeping quiet would be the best option so he does just that.

His grandfather leans back into his chair. "Listen, Mark, you're born a Tuan - you have to uphold the power that comes with that name. People fear us because they know that we're the best and deserve nothing but the best. You're not just some kid living in the slums of Seoul like that chatty friend of yours. You're set to take over this company once you turn 18. You're no longer a kid, Mark, and that's something you have to realize now. You're here to learn how to become the best."

"...will I get to see mom and dad soon?"

His grandfather shakes his head and Mark's lips begin to quiver.

"What about Jackson?"

"What about your lowlife friend?"

"Will I get to see him again?" Mark tries to hold back sob, tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

His grandfather just looks away from him and gets up from his chair. "Training begins tomorrow at 7am. Be ready by then."

With that, he storms off. 

Mark makes sure that his grandfather is away before sobbing uncontrollably.

*~*~*~*~

17 years later.....

A 22 year old Mark grins losening his tie as he falls back on the leather couch, two women taking the opportunity to cling onto each of his arm, giggling.

"Yooooo! Guess who's here. Mark's here. The party can officially start now!" 

Mark just laughs and does his best to ignore the off key crooning of one of his drunk friends. What song were they even singing? Girls Girls Girls? Forever Young? A? He doesn't even know anymore because they're just that wasted and Mark wants to waste no time catching up to them.

This is a typical Saturday night for Mark - after Saturday meetings that last very well until dinner time, he'd meet his friends at a local bar, club, or karaoke place, and just party the night away.

He takes a shot one of the women offer him and drinks it immediately. 

"How was it, babe?" she asks, and Mark could not for the life of him remember her name.

"Not good enough," he says, snapping his fingers towards one of the bartenders.

"Give me the best bottle you have and to everyone here....I just closed a five milllion dollar deal tonight so free drinks for everyone in this bar tonight!" Mark takes out his credit card and tosses it to the bartender as everyone cheers him on.

Mark gives the scantily clad woman who gave him a shot earlier a once over. He puts his arm around her and gives her a smirk. "As for you, I'm taking you home tonight."

*~*~*~*~*~*

The next morning....

*ding dong"

Mark ignores the doorbell ringing, trying to focus on getting more sleep. 

*ding dong*

He groans, pulling his blanket above his head.

*ding dong**ding dong**ding dong**ding dong**ding dong**ding dong**ding dong**ding dong**ding dong**ding dong*

Mark growls, getting up from his bed, stark .

He puts on his underwear and sweats, hastily reading the note the woman left him that night about 'leaving early because of work' and 'to call her sometime' with her number scribbled at the bottom. He crumples the paper and throws it straight to the trash can.

The doorbell rings at a more alarming rate now and Mark is anything but happy as he makes his way down the staircase.

Mark opens the door and stares at the man standing in front of him, quite annoyed. It is a Sunday after all and this is the only day that he can really sleep in. To be dragged out of bed at 7am by a complete stranger is the last thing he wants and needs right now.

He gives the man in front of him a once over. He is a few centimeters shorter than him with pale skin and large, warm, brown eyes. He is wearing a snapback and a plain black tshirt and baggy jeans. 

"Uhhh...who are you?"

The man in front of him pouts. "Mark, I know it's been a while but I'm disappointed you don't remember me anymore. I'm Jackson Wang. And according to this.." he pulls out a scrap piece of paper "...this house now belongs to me."

Mark's eyebrows furrow as he looks at the piece of paper. There are incomprehensible doodles all over the scrap but he sees the 'When Jackson turns 21, my grandpa's house is his' messily scribbled on there in red crayon. Parts of his childhood memories come back but he supresses them right away. He turns to the man with a sullen expression. "This was written by a child."

Jackson nods. "Yes. Specifically a child named Mark Tuan who told me that once I turn 21, this house is mine. Guess who just turned 21 today?" He wiggles his eyebrows in glee.

"Uh, no." Mark says. "Because number 1. I don't even remember writing that. And number 2, even if I did, I wrote this when I was 5."

Jackson's smile widens (if that's even possible). "I never said anything about you writing it when you were 5."

"Yes you did."

"No I didn't. So you're lying to me when you said you don't remember."

"Even if I did remember writing it when I was 5, I was a mere child when I wrote it. It's not a real and binding contract."

Jackson shrugs, pushing Mark to the side gently but firmly. "You wrote it so it works for me. Now let me go take a look at my mansion." He raises his hands in the air as he admires the view of the spacious living room area. "Wahhh. I got everything that we need right here," he says, pointing to his backpack. "I brought nerf guns and a slip and slide, and even some water balloons. Today's weather seems pretty nice. I think we should do a water balloon fight sometime this afternoon when you stop being so grouchy."

'This is ridiculous' Mark thinks to himself, grabbing Jackson by the shoulder and spinning him around so they're face to face. 

"Listen here. I don't have time for this. This is my house. I live here. I don't understand why you've suddenly decided to show up when I haven't seen you for years but you need to leave. Now."

Mark expects to see a sad, dejected Jackson but instead gets a look of pity from the said man.

"Mark..is this the only house you have? You have no place to live? It's okay. I'll be kind. I mean, this house is too big for me anyways. We can share. How about that?"

With that, Jackson happily skips towards the kitchen.

Throwing Jackson out would be easy, Mark thinks. And he's right. One call from the his bodyguard and Jackson would be out of there in a snap.

But he holds back.

He doesn't know why but he's holding back but he is.

Jackson pops out of nowhere and says, "Mark, I was planning on getting some samgyetang from the restaurant down the mountain. You still remember that, right? The one with the crazy ahjumma that has all the butterly pins on her hair....you still love samgyetang, right?"

He looks at Mark so expectantly that Mark finds himself nodding, even though the last time he's had samgyetang was the day his parents dropped him off at this godforsaken mansion.

Jackson cheers. "Yess! I'm glad you're still into it. I'll call her right now. Since I'm letting you live here out of the kindness of my heart, you're paying for the meal."

With that, Jackson stalks off with his phone, contemplating on what to get in the menu.

Mark stays frozen in his spot but doesn't say anything. For the first time in a long while, Mark is speechless.

He doesn't exactly know what happened here but apparently now he's living with his childhood friend, Jackson Wang.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: First chapter doneeee. XDD I just wanted to make sure to sum up Jackson and Mark's past. And hahaha Mark doesn't push Jackson away because we all know Mark can never say no to Jackson. HEHEEEEEEE. I know Chapter 1 not much but the next chapter should be a lot more exciting because there are 5 derps that will be introduced to Jackson then...I think you all know who they are. =D Until next time! ^_____^ *waves at everyone*