Chapter 2

Withering

I walked along the halls of the hospital. The lights shining down on the linoleum floors. My eyes casted down to the floor, chasing after the light. I was one out of many zombies in this hospital. 

 
Those in this hospital who roam the halls, feeling as lost as ever. Feeling as if they came back from the dead. When really they just witnessed someone else's death, or head about the approaching death of someone they love. Zombies. That's what we are.
 
And this zombie hasn't had a proper meal in years. I followed the arrows leading to the hospital cafeteria, not a clue in the world of what I should eat. 
 
"Yah! Come back here!" someone yelled behind me. Their voice echoed through the halls, causing a disturbance. I couldn't help but look over my shoulder to see what the ruckus was all about. 
 
In the process of looking over my shoulder, I almost got run over a girl. I almost didn't see her. She was zooming right towards me at who knows how many miles per hour.
 
I looked over my shoulder to see three nurses zooming towards me as well. I quickly moved aside to avoid near collision. I shook my head at the sight. 
 
"Humph, must be one of the patients from the psychiatric ward on the loose," I murmured to myself. I continued on my way to the cafeteria. 
 
This was a very big hospital. So it should be easy for people to get lost right? I turned left, right, rounded a corner, and repeated. Yup, I'm officially lost. 
 
"Aish..." I sighed to myself in frustration. I saw a patient making her way towards me. 
 
"Excuse me," I said. "Do you-"
 
"There! There she is! Over there!" someone yelled up ahead. We both turned to see the three nurses from earlier. Ah, so that's why this patient looked familiar. 
 
I looked to her to see her starting to panic. She looked to me as if I had the answer written all over my face. Out of panic she grabbed my arm and ran full force towards the opposite direction in which the nurses were heading. Her grip on my arm was really tight so I couldn't free myself even if I tried. 
 
She turned many corners. But she didn't seem at all lost. It was like she knew her way through this hospital. Just when I felt like throwing up from all the running and abrupt turns, she stopped and opened a door. She threw me inside and hurriedly came in after me. She closed the door tight and locked it as well. 
 
I looked around the room, this had to be the biggest janitor's closet I've ever seen. The rows and shelves of cleaning supplies stretched many feet away. 
 
The both of us were still trying to catch our breaths. It was pretty dark in there, so I reached up to turn on the light. 
 
"Don't," she said before I could even put my hand on the switch. I looked to her, her face red from all the running, a bead of sweat making its way down the side of her face. 
 
I put my hand down and remained silent. She put her ear to the door, trying to listen for the nurses. What is going on? Why is she running from those nurses?
 
"Where is she?! You pabo! We lost her!" the nurses yelled through the door. "Aish, new plan. Let's split up. You go search floors 5 and 6, you search 3 and 4, and I'll search 1 and 2. Arrasso?"
 
"Ye!" the two other nurses replied in unison. The three nurses were gone in the blink of an eye. Pabos, why did you guys split up in the first place? No way can you make any progress catching her if you all come at her in one group. 
 
We both sighed in relief. She sunk down next to me on the floor. I pointed at the light switch. She nodded, giving me permission to turn on the light. With the light on, I can see her face more clearly.
 
She didn't look any older than I was. She was fair skinned with a tinge of red near her cheeks. One thing that really screams out to me: she's really pretty. I think I stared at her for a while, for she started snapping in front of my face. Oops...
 
"Yo?" she said while snapping in front of my face. 
 
"Sorry," I said, shaking my head. I cleared my throat. 
 
"Oh," she said. "I should be the one that's sorry. Sorry..."
 
"Um, it's ok," I replied. Why so awkward all of a sudden? Sheesh... 
 
"You're not gonna turn me into the nurses or anything, are you?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. 
 
"Nope," I said. "But..."
 
"But what?" she asked.
 
"You owe me an explanation," I said. All of a sudden, my stomach gurgled. Oh yeah, food...
 
"How about you eat while I give you an explanation?" she said. "I really can't talk to someone when all I hear is thunder coming from their stomach." I smiled shyly.
 
"Hehe yeah," I said. "That would be best. But what about the nurses? Wait, forget the nurses. The whole hospital is probably searching for you right now."
 
"Eh, I doubt the whole hospital is searching for me," she said. "I actually do this quite a lot. The hospital's probably used to it by now."
 
"Well alrighty then," I said. "Let's go."
 
"One condition," she said. 
 
"What's is it?"
 
"You have to protect me from the nurses," she said. "I get caught, you lose your explanation. Got that?" She made a move of poking her finger into my chest. I don't know why, but I found this cute. I rubbed the back of my neck.
 
"Yes ma'am," I chucked.