Baby Don't Cry

Baby Don't Cry

Baby Don't Cry

 

"Heave!" Luhan shouted, holding on to the steer as the sky crackled above and the waves roared in defiance.

 

"It's no use! Without the anchor the ship will never survive!" Jongdae shouts above the sea spray and whipping wind, even as their men desperately try to salvage the cargo ship.

 

The wind was too strong, violently refuting their sails, sending the ship rocking into the direction of sharp rock. Without the anchor to halt the boat, it would be completely impossible to keep the ship afloat Luhan thinks, his heart sinking as he groaned. Furthermore, there was no way all of them could escape; at least one of them would have to hold her steady as the rest of the men escape. He swallowed, watching as the dark sea swirled dangerously around him, spitting ferociously. There was only one decision to make.

 

"ABANDON SHIP!" Luhan roars and there's immediate sounds of disapprovals as Jongdae rushes to the steering, one arm raised to protect his eyes from the stinging sea spray.

 

"Are you crazy?! One of us has to hold her steady-"

 

"Well it's not going to be you so get your to the life boats!" Luhan snaps, already removing the bandana around his head and tying himself to the wheel as the ship suffered another violent toss.

 

"Luhan-!!"

 

"As acting Captain, I order you to leave!" Luhan snaps, pulling rank as Jongdae in a sharp breath, his eyes blazing as his knuckles turn white.

 

"You better be in the ing water before the ship catches fire." Jongdae snarls in return, fear making his words sharp as he turns to shout at the rest of the men.

 

"If I'm not-"

 

"Shut the up, you're a rubbish Captain." Minseok snaps exasperatedly as the life boats lower. Giving Luhan one final seething desperate glare, Jongdae rushed to the life boats, clambering down the side of the ship. Once in the furious waves, Jongdae did a quick headcount before with a loud roar he slashed off the ropes connecting the boats to the mother ship.

 

"Ahhh ." Luhan mutters as he hears the loud sound of wood splintering, turning his gaze momentarily to the right, watching as the dark granite rock scraped away the entire right of the boat. Seconds later, there's a loud explosion from the galley and Luhan swears as he sees flames crawl up onto the upper deck, scurrying to the masts, flames at the sails. Palms sweating, Luhan tries to untie the knot, only to realise that it's not budging.

 

" ." Luhan growls under his breath as he sees the third sail collapse, the wood crashing onto the upper deck, the searing heat making his skin crawl. Giving up on his bandana, Luhan slashed through the cloth and dashes to the left of the ship, cursing as flames rose like a sweeping Phoenix, making him choke on the arid smoke. Ducking under the sails that were on fire, Luhan barely manages to skirt pass the mast on fire when the eaten wooden thing crashes, the brute force sending him sprawling onto the deck.

 

"The Captain needs to give me a bloody raise." Luhan growls under his breath as he starts on his knees, moving across the upper deck, scurrying as fast as he can. The flames are burning hot, the heat almost cooking him alive as they dance mockingly. He's close to the edge now, but Luhan doesn't see the watch mast fall, and it's a few seconds to late when it crashes into his side, knocking him out. It's instant darkness for Luhan, and it's only sheer luck as the boat tilts, gravity working the rest as he falls into the ink black waters.

 

"......"

 

"He didn't make it. He-!!" Jongdae stares in shock at the sinking cargo ship, flames eating it alive as the murky waters stake it's claim. Whipping off his bandana, Jongdae runs his fingers through his hair before a savage yell escapes his lips.

 

"God damnit!!" He slaps the bandana against the side of the boat, anger running through his veins as he watches the cargo ship light up like lanterns.

 

The water envelopes Luhan, caressing his body savagely as it drags him and tosses him like a ragged doll. Dark stormy furious waves with a penchant for the extravagant yanks him down  drowning him alive, water choking his lungs, the murky depths laughing at the pirate. Pirates, lovers of the sea; the waves seemed to mock him; once a deal is made with the ocean, it always takes it's price. And Luhan will go willingly, by his love for his comrades and for those days where the sea glimmers turquoise in the sunlight. For the days where laughter and jokes were tossed about; for all the memories the ocean has gifted him, he would offer his life.

 

But perhaps, the ocean too, agrees it's not his time yet, as hands gently pull Luhan to the surface. Luhan is delirious, barely coming to, but he feels a soft whisper, a soft hymn as someone rocks him close as the ship goes down. And so he clings on, short breaths coming out desperately, his body shuddering.

 

Pirate. There is no way she could send him to shore. That would be as good as not saving him in the first place she thinks, biting her lip as her strong tail flicks, keeping them safely in place. But he was injured, and would not come to for awhile. Hesitating she wonders if perhaps she should just let him- No. She has not let a sailor die before, and she would not start now. Perhaps there is a way... With a strong swish of her tail, she moves, pulling Luhan along who floats in the waves, oblivious to fate's soft whispers.

 

Luhan wakes to the sound of waves lapping, and to the feel of a warm hand against his cheek. Stirring, Luhan shifts on his side before doe eyes flutter open.

 

O-kay, definitely not the medical room Luhan thinks in surprise as he takes in his surroundings. Tall dark granite walls obscure his views, forming a cage, save for the top which was open, letting in sunlight which Luhan briefly allowed himself to enjoy.

 

But there was no way he could have gotten here on his own. Luhan frowns as he stands up, shakily dusting his pants. Where was he? Inspecting the wall of the cave he finds it heavy with moss and other greenery. No, wrong question Xiao Lu he can almost hear Minseok's dry voice in his head.

 

How had he gotten here?

 

Whirling around, Luhan remembers the hand he had woken up to, and feels the hair on his neck prickle. in a deep breath, Luhan let's out a shaky laugh.

 

"I wish I could say I got here myself but I don't think I did." His eyes catch it then, the small coral shell filled with water at the edge of the pool right in the centre of the cave. Beside it lies a pad of folded moss. Luhan feels his heart rate pick up as he casually unsheathes his sword, "And I think whoever you are, you left something behind." Still, nothing happens and slightly annoyed now, Luhan groans, raking a hand through his hair.

 

"Seriously if you don't appear what am I going to do? Starve? Come on a wad of moss doesn't fold by itself!" Luhan gestures exasperatedly, "Besides, I know my strengths. Swimming while I'm unconscious is definitely not one of them."

 

There are slight ripples on surface of the pool, but Luhan is too caught up in his ranting to notice.

 

"I mean really, I'm not that stupid obviously someone had to have saved me! And besides, it's stupid to talk to myself. Don't you agree?" Luhan snaps without thinking to the mermaid who just stares in amusement, "I mean who saves someone and just doesn't-"

 

It hits him.

 

"Appear." He whispers out the last word, eyes widening in shock as the mermaid smiles at him nervously, arms leaning on the rock as her tail lifts, waving in the air as she looks away from Luhan's gaze. The scales are a beautiful dark evergreen, and Luhan feels his mouth falling open in shock as he takes in those tumbling sea swept raven locks, ruby pink lips and pale soft skin like moonbeams. Brown hazel eyes make eye contact with him once before she glances away, her tail falling into the water with a soft swish.

 

"You," Luhan swallows, "were definitely not there a second ago." The mermaid smiles at him, laughing lightly, her eyes turning into crescents as her lips pull upwards.

 

"Ah at last, a sailor who's smart. Or should I say pirate?" The mermaid laughs again, a soft tinkling sound that has Luhan's stomach twisting.

 

"Okay for whatever reasons you have, I'm perfectly fine with you saving me, but don't expect any lovey stuff between us just because I'm a pirate and you're a mermaid." Luhan rambles and the mermaid stares at him, shaking her head slightly as Luhan just blurts out random things like, "I mean I know I'm good looking and pirates are all roguish and all but I'm not looking for a lady; too busy at sea so whatever idea you're getting don't. I mean I am devilishly charming but really a pretty girl like you definitely has a man somewhere."

 

That smile slips and Luhan finally shuts up as the mermaid looks away, her eyes faraway as her hand reaches out to touch . Luhan watches as her fingers drag across the large diamond, her smile having dimmed, looking almost...

 

Sad.

 

"Did I say something wrong?" Luhan asks gently, sheathing his sword as he hesitatingly steps forward, until he reaches the edge of the pool. The sunlight strikes his golden hair and Luhan awkwardly settled down on the rock in front of the mermaid, adjusting his tunic as his earring shone silver.

 

"No no, it's, it's nothing." The mermaid whispers, looking down, biting her lip slightly, her eyes shining a wee bit too bright.

 

"Because you looked almost sad, and I thought..." Luhan trails off, awkwardly rubbing his neck as the mermaid flashes him a fake smile.

 

"I am sad. I'm still sad. I will always be sad."

 

"Whoa that's one two, three heavy statements. Who made you sad?" Luhan questions, frowning as he looks at the mermaid who chuckles a little. But the sadness is still there, etched in her face, and Luhan realises that she looks different. Unhappy, sad, lonely. The last thought hits him in the guts and reminds him of someone.

 

"A man."She whispers and Luhan straightens his back.

 

"Tell Luhan all about it and I'll kick his sorry for you. Unless he's a merman... That I can't do anything about." Luhan shrugs, and the mermaid smiles briefly before her eyes glaze over and she starts her story.

 

She tells, Luhan listens, and the words spill from her lips like a sad tragic melody.

 

"Glinting gold and silver coins

Every single treasured find

Added to the hoard you guard

But the most special one of all

You do not have it in your arms-"

 

"PIRATES!" Her head whips around, eyes widening as she sees the pirate ship heading straight to the rock. Her fellow sisters scream, darting into the water. Fear alights in her chest and she's about to dive when a sharp pain makes her cry out. Her tail is stuck between the rocks, and the fear increases little by little as the ship heads towards her.

 

"No no no!" She utters out a soft sob as her tail aches, the scales tearing as the ship closes in, her sisters long gone. She has heard the stories, stories of pirates as she claws at the rock, whimpering in pain and horror. The black ship rides on the waves menacingly, and she all but manages to glance the silver lettering, 'Titania' before the ship strikes her a glancing blow to the head, rendering her helplessly into a dark abyss.

 

"Titania?" Luhan questions, raising an eyebrow as he looks at the mermaid.

 

"You know the ship?" The mermaid asks, her eyes lighting up briefly.

 

"It rings a bell but... I'm sorry." Luhan apologised softly as the mermaid's eyes dim and her expression falters.

 

"Is she even alive?"

 

"Jongin stop poking her with a stick!"

 

"Why did we even bring her up?"

 

"She's injured!!"

 

"Quiet, she's coming to the lot of you!"

 

The mermaid's eyelids flicker and it takes awhile before she finds herself in the last place a mermaid always wants to be.

 

A fishing net.

 

A choked wail escapes her lips as her hands reach out to touch the strong strings, pulling and tearing at them. Thrashing with her tail, she knows she has an audience but the fear eats her alive as she scrambles away as far as she can to the side of the ship, away from the curious crew. A tanned young man is holding a stick, while another dimpled young man grins. Their Captain, stares, grey hair under his broad brimmed hat, hand resting gently at his side. But this did not matter to the mermaid, no, the net mattered. Twisting, she finally gives up, pulling in her tail as she wraps her arms around herself, rocking back and forth as she sobs softly, wondering why her.

 

"Hey..."

 

Her head snaps up at a soft velvety voice and she sees a man, a man that has her eyes widening. Pale soft winter white skin with gentle unflinching owl eyes and a soft kind smile, dressed from head to toe in black. She likes the smile, the soft curve of his lips. That is, until she sees the knife in his hands and goes berserk.

 

Screeching, she covers her face with her hand, drawing her tail even further in as she scrambles side ways. The man looks shocked and his eyebrows furrow before he holds up the knife hesitatingly by his forefinger and thumb.

 

Sure enough, she stops screeching and trembles near the stack of barrels, frightened eyes staring at him in fear.

 

"I'm not going to hurt you," the man says soothingly, the knife still held by his forefinger and thumb, "but I know you hate the fish net. I need the knife to remove it from you." His voice is cajoling, and the mermaid hesitates, trembling.

 

"You're, you're not going to scale me?" She asks in a small voice and the man makes a sound of disgust as he shakes his head vehemently. She hesitates for a split second before she scoots over, eyes downcast. The man smiles, and she shivers as his hand makes quick work of the fishing net, tugging it to pieces. When he keeps the knife at his side, the mermaid can't help the way her eyes look at him in wonder. Everyone knows mermaid scales are rare and can sell for a ridiculous amount on land. The man notices her eyes, the glimmer of surprise and admiration and allows himself a brief moment to show his affections.

 

"How can I harm something so beautiful?" He whispers, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Her chest feels warm at his words, and her heart is beating too fast.

 

"Yah stop flirting!" The dimpled man scolds, causing the man before her to roll his eyes.

 

"Ignore them." He whispers, and then he smiles, and again, the mermaid feels herself warm at his soft gentle smile, at the way his eyes looked at her, as thought he really did think, really did, think she was beautiful.

 

"Anyway," he stage whispers to her, "I need to get you to the medical room so I'll have to carry you." He makes a move, but pauses, "May I?" She nods and he scoops her up into his arms, arms wrapped around her. His body is warm, a body of a man and she can't help the way she looks down, playing with her fingers because she has never been that close to a man. Not even a merman.

 

"By the way," the man says softly and she looks up, straight into their personal space as their nose almost touch, lips inches apart, "I'm Kyungsoo."

 

"Oh but descaling stopped for mermaids right?" Luhan questions, raising an eyebrow.

 

"Back then it was still allowed." The mermaid hums in reply, a faraway look in her eyes, her gaze fixed on a memory Luhan can only barely understand.

 

"You are in such deep trouble." Yixing mutters under his breath, but he can't help the smile on his face, and how his dimple shows as Jongin rolls his eyes.

 

"What Kyungsoo doesn't know won't hurt him!!"

 

"And what is it I do not know?" Kyungsoo asks drily, clambering down the stairs to the medical room. He flashes the mermaid a shy grin and the mermaid beams in return, bandaged legs under the covers as she lies on the bed.

 

"Jongin said she's getting better and asked the Captain when she'll get back into the water." Kyungsoo stills and the mermaid blinks in confusion as Kyungsoo shoots Jongin a murderous look that has the younger shrinking back in fear.

 

"The Captain said anytime would be fine." Yixing shrugs and with the skill of a man who knows when his presence is not wanted, he drags Jongin out of the medical room. By the ear.

 

The mermaid giggled as she heard Jongin's swears and curses of protest. Jongin's reaction amused her to no end, especially when her tail had turned into legs once all the water on her tail had evaporated.

 

"Are you happy?"

 

The mermaid blinks before she realises with a jolt that Kyungsoo is sitting on the bed, very close, inches from her. He looks extremely serious, his lips in a thin line as he stares at her, chocolate eyes unblinking and not moving an inch.

 

"Happy...?"

 

"Are you happy here?" She's slightly taken aback by that question and opens before she closes it. Happy on a pirate ship? Her sisters would laugh but they were funny and it was nice being here. However...

 

"I miss being underwater." She finally says after a brief pause and watches as Kyungsoo closes his eyes shut, shoulder sinking a little before he straightens his back, turning abruptly towards her.

 

"Stay?"

 

It's a question and it makes her confused as she blurts out an, "Excuse me?" in shock. Kyungsoo takes in a deep breath before he speaks, his face serious and impassive.

 

"Would you stay? For me?"

 

"For you-"

 

"I'll make it worthwhile." Kyungsoo whispers, and the mermaid's eyes widens as she finally grasps Kyungsoo's meaning. She hesitates, taken aback by his boldness, and at the same time she wants his company. Just a week of closeness has sent her craving for more. More than just a pat on the head. More than a brief hug or a touch on the cheek. She notices then that Kyungsoo's hands are trembling and boldly, she covers them with hers, sending Kyungsoo jerking in shock.

 

"Yes, I'll stay if you make it worthwhile." She whispers, her heart trembling.

 

The smile blinds her, and the kiss that comes after was just a premonition of the future to come.

 

"But how do you stay on board for such a long period of time? You were with him for-"

 

"Two years."

 

"Two years?!" Luhan yelps aloud.

 

"From time to time, once a week, I would enter the water, regaining my mermaid form." The mermaid lowers her head in sadness, "It was this that separated us in the end."

 

"So if we enter the Bario Sea we might get to that spring in time."

 

"It's no guarantee if we'll get to the island of Serin but if we do the rewards are great. I do not ask of you to accompany me." The Captain says calmly, hand touching the age old map.

 

"I'm in." Kyungsoo responds, shrugging, "I an your second in command after all!" Jongin and Yixing both second that statement, being the closest companions of the Captain. He was like their father.

 

"Adventure, fortunes, the sea, I think it's safe to say we're all in." Kyungsoo smiles brightly at the Captain who laughs.

 

"Not all."

 

That soft whisper, it cuts right through and Kyungsoo turns to his woman, his love of his life, flinching slightly as he threads his hand with hers.

 

"What do you mean not all?" Kyungsoo murmurs, looking at her searchingly, his other hand reaching out to pull her close and straight into his chest. But she resists and Kyungsoo's smile fades a little bit more.

 

"I cannot enter the Bario sea. And if I do not soak in sea water once a week I will dry up and die." The mermaid says coolly and Kyungsoo stiffens. The Bario seas were a great danger; with serpents and monsters that no one knew about. They were only legends but then again, so was his love. And if she existed, who was to say those monsters do not?

 

"Is there no other way?" The Captain asks gently and the mermaid looks away. The cutting cold silence answers his question and Kyungsoo in a shallow breath.

 

"You'll have to decide." The Captain says after a brief moment, his gaze pinned on Kyungsoo.

 

"He doesn't need to. I've decided to leave." The mermaid answers quickly and there's no mistaking Kyungsoo's sharp glance and his upset tone.

 

"I think I have a say in this too you know." He says quietly and the mermaid turns to him, biting her bottom lip.

 

"If you don't go, you're not going to be happy. I've seen the way your eyes light up, the way you smile, your heart," her hand slides over his chest to his beating heart, "belongs to the sea."

 

"It belongs to you too." Kyungsoo whispers, voice cracking as he grabs her hand, fingers tightening their hold.

 

"This adventure can't wait for you." She swallows, " but I can." Kyungsoo's eyes widens and he jerks in shock, disbelief on his face.

 

"But-"

 

"No Kyungsoo, you know what I mean. This adventure, the fortunes, it's what you've always dreamed of!"

 

"And you're what I've always dreamed of too!" Kyungsoo snaps, voice breaking as he bites his lip, Yixing and Jongin staring wide eyed at the first argument they had ever seen in the couple.

 

"Kyungsoo, I'm not going anywhere." She whispers, coming closer, her forehead pressing against his, "I'm always going to be a constant. I'll be waiting for you here, forever. So just go."

 

Kyungsoo swallowed, arms sliding around his lover as he took in a sharp breath, air whistling into his lungs.

 

"Okay." He turns, "Okay. But sir, I have a request."

 

"What is it?"

 

"That we have a night more?" Kyungsoo looks away from the Captain'd gaze and there's no mistaking the sadness in the gruff voice.

 

"Granted."

 

"He died?!" Luhan shrieks in horror and the mermaid shrugs.

 

"I do not know."

 

That night, they made love. Their relationship had never gone beyond that line before. It had always been kisses, hugs, cuddling, laughter. But never this. It was a hidden goodbye, a sad farewell gift as he peppered kisses along her shoulder blade. As she took in and memorised what he sounded like, what he looked like, the way their breathing always rose and fell together. The way she fitted to him like puzzle pieces. That night is a night they don't sleep, staying between the sheets, talking, kissing, making love, until the sun rose above the horizon. She stared out the window, getting up, blanket wrapped around her as Kyungsoo kisses her neck.

 

"It's morning."

 

"This isn't a goodbye." Kyungsoo whispers, and she looks down in shock as something cold touches the base of the throat. It's a diamond pendant, and engraved right there, was his name.

 

"I have mine too." Kyungsoo smiles briefly, and the mermaid turns, only to sea a mother of pearl shell hanging from his neck. There's a clasp there, and she realises with a jolt that it's a locket, swinging open to reveal a piece of parchment.

 

"Is that...?"

 

"The poem you wrote for me." Kyungsoo murmured and the mermaid looked up at him, biting her bottom lip which Kyungsoo pries out with his finger, a soft smile on his face.

 

"It's not a goodbye remember?"

 

"But it feels like it is." The mermaid whispers shakily, staring up at him.

 

"I know. But I love you." He responds fiercely, and the mermaid whispers back, leaning against him and soaking up his touch.

 

"I love you too."

 

The goodbye hurt. It stung like a thousand knives were jabbing in her heart. But still she waved goodbye, and watched at the Titania set sail, pressing herself against the rock where she had first encountered them. It did not matter, he would be back in two Weeks, she thinks optimistically, touching the pendant on her neck and fighting back tears.

 

Two Weeks slipped into two months.

 

She hesitated, and started to frequent the rocks only in the night refusing to stay in the day. It was too dangerous for her. She refused to believe that Kyungsoo had forgotten about her, or had died at the Bario seas. But the nagging thought arose time and time again, questioning, worried.

 

Two months became two years.

 

And slowly, but surely, she never went back to those rocks.

 

"It can't just end like that!!" Luhan shrieks, slapping the palm of his hand against the rock.

 

"Ouch! I mean that's unacceptable pirate behaviour!"

 

There mermaid shrugged, a sad smile on her face, "What is done is done. There is nothing to do about it."

 

"Seriously, how could the guy even live with himself huh? After being together for so long on Titania, and Yixing and Jongin, not even doing anything about it! That irritating Do Kyung-"

 

Luhan gasped, feeling as though he had been er punched.

 

Oh.

 

OH.

 

"Was his name Do Kyungsoo?" Luhan shouted, and the mermaid jumped, before her eyes widened.

 

"I never told you his surname!" She accused, her eyes glimmering as Luhan cheered, raising his fist in victory.

 

"What if he hadn't forgotten? What if Kyungsoo got back from the Bario seas on the Titania a year later in the morning only to find you missing? What if all this time, he has been searching, scouring the lands and seas for his guardian angel. His Calypso that he says protects him and his crew onboard the Siren throughout their adventures? What if, right now, he's still searching?" Luhan hisses, gripping the rock tightly, his knuckles white.

 

Indeed, fate had sent him for a reason Luhan thinks as the mermaid covers her hand with and her entire body quivers.

 

"Take me to him. Please!"

 

"No problem! I'm sure you'll like to meet Yixing and Jongin too. Although they're called Kai and Lay now. And Kyungsoo is known as D.O instead." Luhan cheers but there's no mistaking the spark in her eyes as she looks at Luhan and cries.

 

Cries tears of happiness.

 

Kyungsoo sighs, massaging his forehead before pushing back his chair, raising the mug into the air, silence stretched thin in the pub. The pirates are sombre, and Kyungsoo feels his heart sink as he spots Yixing crying, and watches how Baekhyun's jaw is clenched, Kris' face impassive as Junmyeon weeps, the only signs of sorrow being the occasional pain from his eyes. Luhan, his best friend, his comrade, was dead. Why had he left Luhan on the cargo ship? Why had he tasked him to repair it and to catch up with the Siren? Why hadn't he checked the damage of the cargo ship before issuing orders?

 

"Today," the silence grows oppressive as the Captain speaks. Even pirates not in the Siren listen in sorrow; they were all brothers by their love for the sea.

 

"We learn we lost a comrade. But Luhan, was not just a comrade." Minseok bites his lip and Jongdae's hands tighten around his arms, "He was a brother, a man of his words. He loved the sea as much as we all did. He would have died remaining loyal to each and every one of us; to which he did." Jongin looks away, patting Sehun whose knuckles turn white, "So tonight. We raise our cups in honour of Luhan. May he rest in eternal peace and-"

 

"Never annoy you guys ever again?" A bright chirpy voice interrupts and Kyungsoo would have been irked by the interrupter, but he isn't because he would do anything to hear that voice again. From the entrance, in strolled Luhan, blonde hair ruffled, sword polished as he waves at everyone before making his way through to where Jongdae and Minseok stare in shock.

 

"Mm what is this?" Luhan grabs Minseok's mug and gulps a little before putting it down, ignoring Minseok's stunned expression.

 

"Good gin! Now next time before you start making a speech about me resting in peace," Luhan sits down at the bar, legs wide apart as he smirks, "Please check if your second in command is actually dead Captain."

 

"You, you, you ing bastard!!" Minseok is the first to respond, punching Luhan in the arm, but his face is glowing, lips spread in the widest grin.

 

"You have horrible time management do you know how late you are?" Jongdae snaps, ruffling Luhan's hair as a big smile stretches across his face.

 

"What are you, a cat with nine lives?" Kris growls, but his eyes are shining as Junmyeon and Yixing cling to Luhan, still in disbelief that he's actually alive.

 

Breathing.

 

And very much alive.

 

"Ge, dun do thath againth!" Sehun says to Luhan seriously and Luhan can't help the way his eyes softens and the way he pinches Sehun's cheeks affectionately. Tao joins the hugging party and Jongin just shakes his head, a bright smile on his face. Baekhyun yells for for more gin, seconded by Chanyeol who roars that it's a celebration.

 

"How are you even alive?" Kyungsoo shakes his head, chuckling as he claps Luhan at his shoulder, eyes in crescents as he smiled. But Luhan can't bring himself to be nice to his Captain.

 

Not yet anyhow.

 

"Will have to thank that pretty lady over there." Luhan gestures and the Siren's crew immediately turn their head to see a figure in a cloak, face hidden in the shadows. Her hands are laced in almost a prayer like way, covering . Baekhyun let's out a low wolf whistle only to meet with a large rap on the head by Luhan who frowns.

 

"Oww! Okay I get it no looking at your girl!"

 

You dumb moron.

 

"She's not my girl. Sadly, second in command is not enough for her. Maybe Captain would work." Luhan smirks, nudging Kyungsoo who jolts in surprise, eyes widening a fraction as the figure looks away.

 

"Please," Chanyeol snorts, "Captain always plays hard to get, another girl is going to have her heart broken toni-"

 

"Shut up Chanyeol!!" Kyungsoo hisses as he swigs down another mouthful of gin. Calmly, he makes his way to the figure, ignoring all the wolf whistles and nudging from his crew.

 

There's only one woman out there for him he thinks as his heart throbs a little. It was his fault, he failed her. And he would find her no matter the cost.

 

"I'm sorry my lady, I'm afraid I would not be able to reciprocate your feelings. My heart belongs to another." Kyungsoo says and there's mutters of disappointment from his crew, but Luhan just continues to smirk infuriatingly and Kyungsoo sighs.

 

"But I'm very grateful to you for saving my irritating arrogant second in command. If there is anything you need we will try our best to grant it." He shoots Luhan a look which the other just rolls his eyes at.

 

Moron. Luhan thinks, chuckling as pale white fingers grasp at the hem of the hood.

 

"I have a feeling you would change your mind," the hood is flung back as she raises her eyes to meet Kyungsoo's, "Captain."

 

Kyungsoo in a sharp breath, and he goes pale as a sheet which has a few of the Siren's crew exchanging quizzical expressions. Kyungsoo stares, drinking in that heart shaped face, those brown eyes, red lips and, he sees the diamond pendant and his heart stops, gravity dropping out from under his entire world as it shifted. The light catches the diamond and the engraving, his name can be seen all over it. Kyungsoo's heart restarts and shakily, he raises a hand, pressing it to her face, much to the complete shock of the crew.

 

"It's you." Kyungsoo whispers as her hand clasps his, fingers tightening, "It's you... It's really you! This isn't a dream, it's my calypso!" He shouts that final sentence, joy rising in his voice as he laughs gaily.

 

"Calypso?!" The entire pub practically shouts aloud, and several members of the Siren spit out their gin in shock. The Calypso that their Captain was completely in love with, searching the seven seas and every land for, was here?!

 

"Oh this is good." Baekhyun mutters, drinking his gin, high fiving Luhan who smirks in contentment.

 

"I searched for you," Kyungsoo cradled her face, his eyes filling with tears, "I searched every port, every rock, followed every legend, traced every sailor that said they saw you," he gasped, hot tears finally spilling onto his cheeks, much to the chagrin of the crew, "I, I..."

 

"I thought you forgot me. Two Weeks, I waited day and night but you never made your way back." She bites her bottom lip, her hand reaching out to his face, feel the soft supple skin, "Two months and then two years, I visited only at night-"

 

"I came back only a year later on the Titania, the Bario seas almost killed us but we made it, and I went straight away but you weren't there," Kyungsoo swallows, Adam apple bobbing, "I was so afraid that you... That you moved on-"

 

"Move on? Move on without you? You are everything to me. If I couldn't be with you, I, I never wanted to be with anyone else!" They hear some girls coo in delight as Kyungsoo's eyes flare at her words and his voice goes lower and fiercer as his body thrums with fear.

 

"I'm never losing you again! It was my fault, I failed you. I chose adventures, gold and silvers, precious jewels-"

 

"No, Kyungsoo-"

 

"Listen!" Kyungsoo whispered, his dark chocolate eyes searching his lover's, "Do you know what it did to me, losing you? I lost the Captain at the Bario seas, then you-"

 

"He was a mess." Jongin finally says, catching Kyungsoo's eyes as he looks at Calypso, the affectionate nickname Kyungsoo gave her, giving her a shaky familiar smile, "Wouldn't eat, wouldn't sleep, he was going to go mad when he heard."

 

"Heard?" The mermaid turns to Kyungsoo, heart in as she presses herself closer to Kyungsoo, eyes closing for a brief moment, enjoying the warmth, what she had missed.

 

"You saved a sailor at the Braxten river." Kyungsoo whispered, wrapping his arms around his lover before he continues, voice rough, "And then another along the Vivera Delta. Then there was the sailor shipwrecked from The Nighthawk." His voice caught and he swallowed.

 

"I didn't know if it was you, until I tracked them down and heard them for myself, a mermaid with a diamond pendant," his voice catches, "I knew it had to be you. Even if it wasn't God, I couldn't, I couldn't not look." Jongin nods solemnly, backing up every statement, considering Yixing was crying again and hence physically unable to express himself with anything but tears.

 

"Kyungsoo..."

 

"I shouldn't have left you, God, waking up without you there," the guilt in his voice is obvious, and the remorse sends Luhan biting his lip too, "Even now, even after I had the Siren, had the treasures, the reputation, I would trade it all." Kyungsoo takes in a sharp breath, knowing his words would shock every pirate. He pressed his forehead against hers, threaded their fingers together, his eyes shining, voice steady.

 

"And I trade it now, Luhan can be Captain," gasps of shock go up in the pub and Luhan blinks in shock before horror crosses his face. The mermaid blinks once, twice, and then, she smacks him across the head, a scowl all over her pretty face as she glares at him, arms akimbo.

 

"Ow!! What, what was that for?" Kyungsoo whines, fixing his lover with a confused look. She sighed, shaking her head, looking extremely disappointed.

 

"Then all those years we spent apart would have been for nothing! The sea is what makes you happy you idiot!" There's loud cheers from the pub at her words and loud chants of 'Captain' from the crew.

 

"Not the only thing that makes me happy." Kyungsoo says sternly and there's no making the slight blush on her cheeks as members of the pub decide whether to coo or vomit clouds of rainbow fluff at how cheesy this all was.

 

Seriously, Captain D.O, Captain Do Kyungsoo, the almighty pirate of the sea with no hesitation for blood shed and eyes like the devil, with voice like ice reduced to this state?

 

"Besides," there's a cheeky smile on the mermaid's face as she looks up at Kyungsoo through her lashes, "I'm looking forward to seeing little Kyungsoos running about on board the Siren."

 

Kyungsoo's eyes widens and he flushes pink, the blush spreading across his neck as he turns red, his ears slowly turning tomato coloured as he struggles for a response.

 

There's a split second pause before Luhan bursts out laughing with mirth, rolling around in his seat as Baekhyun grins a Cheshire cat grin at their current flushing Captain, and the whole crew practically breaks down laughing at Kyungsoo who for once in his entire lifetime seems unable to reply.

 

"I-I-"

 

"God he's stuttering," Chanyeol whispers to Baekhyun, chuckling, "No one will surrender to us now."

 

"Shut up Chanyeol." Kyungsoo snaps curtly and Chanyeol flinches, earning a bark of laughter from Luhan.

 

"Moron... He's only soft for her." Luhan mutters quietly.

 

"So how about it," the mermaid grins, "Captain?" Her eyes are dancing in the light, and Kyungsoo feels his breathing shorten, and after all this time, she could still make him feel like a little boy.

 

"I'm a bit out of practice though." Kyungsoo says breathlessly, his lips quirking into that gentle adorable smile she missed so so much.

 

"My God, is he flirting?" Jongdae hisses, mouth falling open in shock.

 

"He does that." Jongin Yixing and Luhan replies immediately, Jongin raising an eyebrow at Luhan who shrugs, smirking.

 

"I think," the mermaid leaned in closer, a soft delighted smile on her face, "I can help you get back into shape..."

 

"Oh hell yes." Kyungsoo whispers as he reels her in and kisses her passionately, parting her lips with ease and finally, finally, after three years of searching and waiting, he got to kiss her, the love of his entire life.

 

"Is that tongue?! Since when was Kyungsoo such a good kisser?" Tao whispers, tiptoeing from behind Jongin.

 

"I hope people still surrender to us even with little Kyungsoos running around." Minseok muses, chuckling.

 

"I hope they don't stay up too late at night, sound travels on our ship a long, long loooong distance." Baekhyun drawls, taking another swig of gin.

 

"He totally owes me a raise now." Luhan stage whispers, "Seriously if it wasn't for me could you imagine? You would never have known your Captain was such a fluff ball inside-"

 

"The lot of you shut the up." Kyungsoo growls, whipping his head around, the dangerous glint coming to his eyes as he glares menacingly at all of them.

 

"I mean deep deep deep DEEEEEEP inside." Luhan mutters, chuckling as Kyungsoo laughed, his voice rich and happy, hers mixing with his.

 

Sigh he could almost hear the pitter patter of tiny feet running on deck!

 

 

And I'm done, accomplished for today!!! This is longer than most of my one shots, inspiration hits and poof, couldn't help it!! Love you guys, please upvote comment and subscribe!! It keeps me going :) I'm considering continuing I mean come on little kyungsoos guys XD Does anyone want ? 0.0 Kyungsoo's POV for this whole thing? Anyway comment if you want me to continue! If not I won't >.<" Hope you guys loved it XOXO