Prologue

Hymn of the Wind

Prologue

The Tale of the Wind Princess

 

 

 

“Once upon a time, there was a kingdom named Archaia. It was a powerful and magical kingdom above the clouds.”

“But Wind, won’t the palace fall?”

“Of course not, Jung Eum. It’s magical, remember?”

“Wow! I want to live in there, Wind! Do the clouds taste like cotton candy?”

 

 

 


 

The wind had always guided me in whatever I do, I don’t know why. Perhaps it has something to do with the transparent boy in my dreams, the one whom I call ‘Wind’. The name I gave him pretty much explains his entirety. He is like the wind. I really can’t see him, but I can feel his presence—just like every time I’m experiencing conflict—advising me, reassuring me, guiding me.

 


 

He chuckled. “How should I know?”

I stared at him in confusion. “Don’t you live there, Wind?”

He let out a hearty laugh. “Of course not. This is a fairytale, Eummie.”

 

 


 

I met him when I was seven. Our first meeting was filled with me bawling, screaming and thrashing around—you can’t blame me, I couldn’t see him for crying out loud—and him trying to comfort me. I think it was his voice and reassuring words that made me stop. It was gentle. Just like the morning breeze from the sea.

 


 

“Do you even want me to continue the story?”

I nodded my head enthusiastically.

“Then don’t interrupt,” he scolded me.

I pouted. “Fine~”

 


 

He was two years older than me. Well, that was what he said. He also told me to treat him like an older brother and call him ‘Oppa’—which I gladly turned down. I only wanted to call my future boyfriend like that.

 


 

“In Archaia lived a princess. They said she was the most beautiful in their kingdom. Her hair was a shade of russet. It was silky and waist-length. Her eyes were a shining emerald, with hints of gold and silver. Her skin was as smooth and white as porcelain, and her cheeks were rosy. No one rivaled her for her fairness.”

I stood up and flipped my hair. “Do you think I’m as beautiful as her, Wind?”

He laughed.

 


 

And so I asked him his name. But he doesn’t tell me. Every time I bring that topic up, he easily diverts my attention to other things. And if I keep pestering him, he just stays silent. There was one time when he didn’t even talk to me. Ever since then, I never asked him what his name was.

 


 

“Her kindness is also in terms with her beauty. She was good. She always helps other people and was respectful to them. Everybody loved her.”

I hugged my knees and pouted. “Well she’s lucky,” I muttered under my breath.

 


 

Ever since that time, he had always been in my dreams. We did fun stuff. We played tag (which wasn’t cool for me because he always wins, being transparent and all), we tell each other stuff (more of me telling him about the events of the day and him just listening), we roll around the fields in my dreamland, and he always tells me this story. The Tale of the Wind Princess.

 


 

“Are you jealous?”

“No…”

“Really?” he insisted.

I buried my head in my arms.

“Fine, yes!”

 


 

It was such an enchanting tale. With the many times Wind told me about it, I had already memorized it by heart.  It even became my favorite story.

 


 

“Don’t worry, Jung Eum. You are beautiful and kind too.”

My ears perked up. “Really?” I sighed. “But everybody doesn’t love me…”

“Well, I love you.”

 


 

My face almost literally burned when he said that. I never felt my heart beat so fast in my entire life. I knew then and there that I wanted to call him ‘Oppa’. Oh how I wish I could go back in time and not refuse! It was a good thing he continued the story afterwards. It took my mind of my feels. And he was also lucky I was too flustered to interrupt!

 


 

“Okay, now don’t try to in so I could finish. Where was I? Oh yeah. Everybody loved the princess. But that was what they thought. There were some who knew of the princess’ great power, and wanted to keep it for themselves. Their leader was the duke of Cavallona, and the king’s most trusted advisor. Overdriven by his hunger for the crown, they planned an assault.

In the middle of the night, when the king and queen were on their yearly trip, the duke’s men snuck in the palace and kidnapped the princess. The poor girl, who hasn’t unlocked her power yet, couldn’t do anything against the men.

The duke informed the king and queen and lured them into his lair. The king was also powerful, being able to wield the winds. But the duke was ready. He held the princess hostage. The king and queen couldn’t do anything, afraid they might hurt their daughter. A dark force, who was working with the duke, managed to subdue the king and queen. After obtaining the power he seeks, the duke killed the princess right before their eyes. The dark force killed her parents afterwards.”

 


 

Oh, where are my manners? My name is Lee Jung Eum. My life had been pretty normal so far; count my infatuation with Wind out. The only thing that’s unique is that the wind was always there for me. But after one particular twist, I find myself tossed in something magical and full of adventure.

 


 

“Before the queen died, she whispered a spell that would make the princess live. It is said that a part of the princess’ soul was transported to another world and there, it readied itself to be reborn.

And that’s it. The Tale of the Wind Princess.”

“Wow.”

“It’s just an excerpt, though.” He ruffled my hair. “Well, I think it’s now time for you to wake up…

 


 

During my time there, I began to question myself. Was I really who I think I was? And I never would have thought…

 

 

 

 

 

 

…that the Tale of the Wind Princess would mean so much more to me that I even know of.

 


 

“…princess.”

 

 


 

Author's Note:

And jajan! I present the prologue! :D Sorry for the delay XD Hope this caught your ineterest~  Subscribe, comment, and/or vote! If you do, Sehun would be sooooo happy~ :3 (Kai too. <3)

See you next time~