Part I

Bonfire Heart

Irene sighed as she massaged her temple, earning a glance from the exact same friend who caused her to get into the relationship that she had just broken up.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“What do you think?” Irene replied in sarcasm, rolling her eyes at Joy.

 

“Hey hey, it’s not my fault that you guys ended up dating each other in the end,” Joy tried to defend herself, raising the cup of coffee to her lips before taking a sip of it.

 

“I just couldn't say no to the poor guy. Besides, was I suppose to reject him after sleeping with him?”

 

“No one told you to sleep with him,” Joy smirked. “Anyways, things are over with you and Jaehyun now. You should stop thinking about him.”

 

“You’re right,” Irene heaved a sigh once again, propping her chin on the table as she took a glimpse around the street. The traffic seems to be more lax at this hour, which she is thankful for since she wouldn’t want to breathe in some carbon while enjoying her coffee outside of the café. Irene’s eyes slowly travelled to a certain brunette walking down the street, looking amicably pretty. She wasn’t on her own though. There was also someone else, as pretty as the girl is but Irene was more drawn to the girl she first set her eyes on for some reason.

 

“Hey, are you listening to me?”

 

“Oh?” Irene slowly snapped out from the trance, averting her attention back to Joy.

 

“What were you looking at-“ Joy frowned, turning to look at the direction where Irene was looking at earlier and raised her eyebrows in amusement. “You’re into girls now? You never told me that you swing both ways.”

 

“Am I obliged to tell every single thing about myself to you?” Irene clicked her tongue. “That aside, how did you know I was ogling on the girl?”

 

“Park Sooyoung is much smarter and sharper than you think, my dear Joohyun,” Joy smiled smugly.

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Now don’t be so butthurt about it,” Joy chuckled, watching the two girls enter the ice cream parlor just across the café. “Why don’t you ask her out then?”

 

“Are you crazy? What are the chances of that pretty girl liking girls too?” Irene replied.

 

“Well, aren’t you interested in testing it out?”

 

A playful smile crept on the younger girl’s face, as if taunting Irene to ask the stranger out.

 

“Or are you scared?” Joy hummed softly as she continued.

 

Admitting defeat is not the way Irene goes by. She hated being underestimated or having her pride trampled on. Which is also the reason why she never rejects any challenges or bets put on by her friends.

 

“Oh you’re on Park Sooyoung,” Irene quickly grabbed her purse, leaving her cup of coffee on the table as she made her way across the street. Irene could see the stranger whom she had set her eyes on lining up at the counter, and she has exactly the plan that would enable her to get the girl’s number. Or even more.

 

-

 

Wendy was feeling content on that day, for some odd reason. She didn’t even know the reason why. Perhaps, it was because she had gotten enough sleep last night, or the fact that she smiled to her reflection in the mirror the first thing in the morning. Now that’s what you call creepy.

 

“What flavor are you getting?” Seulgi looked over to her curiously, tugging on Wendy’s arm.

 

“Hmm, I’m gonna go with Chocolate!”

 

“Such a basic flavor,” Seulgi rolled her eyes. “There’s tons of other interesting flavors and you decided to go with that?”

 

“What? Can’t I?” Wendy scrunched her nose, trying to act cute in front of her best friend but all she got in return was a pinch on her arm. “Ouch!”

 

“Please refrain from using your aegyo on me. I don’t want to lose my appetite for my ice cream.”

 

“Meanie,” Wendy pouted. It was then she had realized that it was their turn to place their order, seeing the previous customer had already walked to an empty table with her ice cream.

 

“Welcome to Willy’s Ice Cream Parlor, how may I help you?”

 

“Hmm, I’ll have one Red Velvet and one chocolate for my friend over here,” Seulgi pointed to Wendy. “On cones please.”

 

“That would be $5.80!”

 

“Hold on for a sec,” Wendy smiled towards the chirpy cashier, fishing out some changes from her pocket but her action was halted as soon as she heard an unfamiliar voice speaking up all of the sudden.

 

“Excuse me, I’ll be paying for these ladies,” the stranger smiled and ran her fingers through her hair, looking somewhat charming. Seulgi stared at the girl in confusion, wondering if it was an acquaintance of her best friend but after seeing on how confused Wendy was at that time as well, that probably wasn’t the case.

 

“I’m sorry, but who are you?” Seulgi spoke up carefully, not wanting to be rude as she watched the stranger pay for their ice cream. She was glad that she would be getting a free ice cream but at the same time, scared of whom this stranger might be. Well, maybe less scared seeing that the stranger happens to be a girl, and a beautiful one at that.

 

“Ah, I’m Irene,” the said girl chuckled, holding out her hand for a handshake. “You two girls seems so lovely so I decided to treat you girls,” Irene smiled sheepishly. “You won’t mind do you?”

 

“Ah… Well I suppose it’s alright,” Seulgi eyed her friend silently before nudging Wendy’s side.

 

“O-Oh yes, we won’t mind!” Wendy nodded furiously, and Irene found it somehow cute.

 

“In that case, can I have your number in return?” Irene fiddled with the phone she was holding in her other hand as she looked at Wendy. It would be embarrassing to be rejected after all that, she thought. So Irene could only pray that the girl would give in to her request.

 

It only took Seulgi a few seconds to fully absorb what was unfolding right in front of her, and she could only smirked. Pleased that she’s on the right place and the right time. She wouldn’t have gotten the chance to have a free ice cream and see her friend being hit on if she were to stay at home that afternoon. She is so going to have fun teasing Wendy once Irene walks away.

 

“Ah… My number?” Wendy scratched her nape and blushed. “Well, sure I guess.”

 

“Great.”

 

-

 

Instead of getting her usual dose of coffee at the café, Irene spent her afternoon at the ice cream parlor, where she first met Wendy. She wasn’t even sure if the girl would be there again but hey, if fate allows it she will get to see Wendy.

 

Irene had the choice of texting Wendy and asking her out for a date but it would be too soon for a date, she thought. She needs to make it look like that they met accidentally for a couple of times before finally asking Wendy out. It’s a tedious process, but Irene likes it that way.

 

After having her third scoop of the day, Irene finally saw the figure she had been waiting all along. Wendy. And she’s just going to play it cool, like she always does.

 

The first thing that Wendy saw, the moment she walked into the parlor was the girl whom hit on her yesterday. And Wendy couldn’t help but to blush. She would never thought in a million years that a beautiful creature like Irene would be hitting on her. Her, a walking derpy snowman.

 

Irene coolly saluted towards Wendy as soon as their eyes met before putting on her most charming smile, getting up from her seat afterwards to make her way to Wendy.

 

“Why hello there.”

 

“O-Oh, hello…” Wendy bowed her head a little, feeling a bit flustered with Irene’s presence.

 

“Wendy right?” Irene grinned. “I’m guessing that you’re in the mood for ice cream again today.”

 

“A-Ah yes… I feel like having ice cream again today.”

 

“Mhm, in that case can I treat you again today?”

 

“I shouldn’t let you do that again though!” Wendy shook her head furiously as she widened her eyes. “I-I’m fine with paying for my own ice cream.”

 

“Ah, is that so?” Irene smiled sheepishly. “Well, would you like to sit with me once you bought your ice cream? It’s a bit lonely sitting on my own.”

 

“Uhm…” Wendy bit her lower lip as she thought for a moment, nodding her head afterwards. “Alright then. I’m not much of a talker though…”

 

‘Oh wow, such a big liar Son Seungwan.’ Was what her inner thought was telling her. Since when was she not much of a talker? She’s a walking radio whenever she’s with her groups of friends, and there were even times where she was forced to shut up.

 

“I’ll be waiting for you then.”

 

-

 

“So, how old are you?” Irene looked over to Wendy curiously, the latter had been eating her ice cream silently the whole time she sat with Irene. Irene didn’t mind though. Since staring at Wendy was enough for her.

 

“I’m a 94-liner,” Wendy nodded slowly with a smile.

 

“Ah, I’m three years older than you then,” Irene chuckled. “There’s no need to call me unnie though. A friend of mine, younger than you by two years doesn’t even call me that.”

 

“O-Oh if you say so…” Wendy smiled shyly. “Are you still in uni or?”

 

“I’m in my last year in university actually. A Maths major,” Irene said. “It doesn’t sound fun does it?”

 

“I think it’s cool though, smart people who’s good in math!” Wendy raised her voice accidentally, a bit worked up since she didn’t want Irene to feel bad about herself. What she got in return was a few stares from the customers around, and a chuckle from Irene.

 

“If you say so. What about you?”

 

“I’m an English Literature major. First year.”

 

“That’s cool too,” Irene replied. Her eyes instinctively travelled to the corner of Wendy’s lips, where there were bits of ice cream smudged. Wendy seems to be a messy eater. But that’s alright, Irene thought. It’s cute. “You’ve got some ice cream on your lips.”

 

“Where?” Wendy stuck her tongue out, trying to wipe off her ice cream but failed miserably.

 

“Nevermind. I got it for you,” Irene smiled and leaned over the table, wiping the ice cream off the corner of Wendy’s lips using her thumb. Wendy only blushed in return, and more when she saw Irene the remains of her ice cream on her thumb. What was that about? “I never tried this flavor before. It’s kind of nice.”

 

“O-Oh yeah, it’s my first time trying out the Vanilla here too…”

 

Irene mentally face-palmed herself. How on earth could she not know it was vanilla? But she tried to keep her cool nevertheless.

 

“I should be getting those when I drop by here again then,” Irene chuckled. “I have a sweet tooth actually.”

 

“Ah, you do?”

 

“Yup, which is the reason why I’m so drawn into you.”

 

-

 

“Eww,” Joy cringed her face in disgust upon hearing Irene’s story. She almost spat out her sandwich into her friend’s face but due to her self-restrain and the amount of people in the cafeteria that could be watching her do so, she decided not to. “You’re making my stomach turn.”

 

“You’re the one who wanted to hear the story stupid,” Irene scoffed. “Besides, it wasn’t that bad.”

 

“Right. Just like how the chicken you fried the other day isn’t bad.”

 

“I told you I didn’t like chicken,” Irene groaned and casts a glare towards the younger girl. “And you forced me to cook that.”

 

“I didn’t know that it was going to be bad. I mean, it’s all black and tastes like coal. Blergh.”

 

“Please, remind me why I’m friends with you again before I start planning on how to murder you,” Irene chewed on her fries carefully, taking a glimpse around the cafeteria.

 

“Well, first of all I’m a genius that skipped a few years and managed to get into the university ahead of my friends,” Joy pretended to think as she tapped her chin. “Would you like me to continue dear Joohyun?”

 

“I would love to hear you talk,” Irene replied sarcastically and rose up from her seat, reaching for her backpack. “But I’ve got a class to go to right now.”

 

“Nawh. What a bummer,” Joy sighed exasperatedly. Just then, Irene’s phone suddenly vibrated, a notification popping up. And she was surprised to see whom it came from.

 

“Wendy?” Irene muttered under her breath, clicking open her Kakaotalk to check the message that was sent to her.

 

“Hey uhm, are you free right now?”

 

“Yeah. What’s up?” Irene unknowingly smiled to herself as she typed her reply, ignoring the fact that she had just lied to the girl. Classes can wait she thought. It’s not as if her grumpy old professor would be going anywhere.

 

“Have you eaten your lunch? I was thinking of taking you out for lunch if you haven’t eat…”

 

“Where do you have in mind? I’m starving right now. Haha.”

 

 Great, another lie Bae Joohyun.

 

“Great, I’ll drop by and pick you up then. Where are you right now?”

 

“Judging from your smile, it’s that Wendy girl isn’t it?” Joy tried to peek at Irene’s phone but the older girl was quick enough to shield it from Joy’s view.

 

“Yes, it is,” Irene hurriedly typed in her reply and slung her backpack over her shoulder, heading for the opposite direction of her class. “I’ll see you later!”

 

“Hey, aren’t you going for class-” Joy blinked for a few times and sighed. “Look what love turned her into.”

 

-

 

Irene was surprised to see Wendy picking her up in a Mini Cooper. But then again, what should she expect the girl to be driving in the first place? A rundown car?

 

“Sorry that I’m late, there’s some traffic on the way here,” Wendy smiled apologetically as she rushed to open the door for Irene, which the latter thank her for.

 

“It’s fine. Nice ride you’ve got here by the way,” Irene chuckled, entering the car with Wendy following suit.

 

“It’s a gift from my parents for my birthday this year,” Wendy scratched her nape shyly. “I’ve just gotten my license this year as well.”

 

“Ah, I see,” Irene nodded with a smile.

 

“Oh, let me put on the seatbelt for you,” Wendy, being the gentleman she is decided to buckle Irene’s seatbelt. And Irene had to hold her breath the moment Wendy leaned over her, the close proximity making her tense a little. She was never the one to get flustered over things like this before. “There you go.”

 

“O-Oh, you’re welcome,” Irene cleared up slightly. “So where are we going for lunch?”

 

“Uhm, you really don’t have anything planned for the rest of the day right?” Wendy fidgeted in her seat nervously, slowly driving off from the campus.

 

“I guess, why?”

 

“Because I’m planning on taking you to Jejudo.”

 

“Jejudo- Wait, Jejudo?” Irene looked over to Wendy in surprise. “We’re seriously going there?”

 

“Well, that’s why I asked you on whether you have anything planned…”

 

“Isn’t that a bit too far?”

 

“There’s this place I would like to take you to. I know we haven’t known each other for long,” Wendy blushed. “But there’s this connection between us two t-that it’s…uhm…” Wendy jittered, trying to come up with the correct words. “Uhm…”

 

“It’s alright now. I don’t mind,” Irene let out an amused laugh, seeing flustered Wendy coming into scene again. “I haven’t been to Jejudo in a while anyways. So why not?”

 

Author's Note - I originally planned this to be a oneshot but I'm too sleepy right now to continue orz So here you go. I won't promise you guys anything yet on when I'm going to post the second chapter. Haha.