Of Apples and Goodbyes

Of Apples and Goodbyes

Everything was covered with white. Jongwoon trudged along the snowy path, checking every step, afraid that he might slip, knowing how careless he can get. He heaved a sigh and continued walking. He was carrying a basket of apples and wore a grey muffler. He reached the end of the path. His pale face lightened up as he saw a familiar figure lying on the blanket of snow. He walked slowly, planning to surprise the latter.  He tried his best to stifle a giggle as he noticed that the other was obviously preoccupied with random thoughts. How typical of him, he pondered. He didn’t at all.

“I know you’re here. Don’t even think about it hyung.”

Jongwoon faked a sad expression and pouted, “Wet blanket as ever. I really hate you.”

“I love you more~” He sat up straight and face the other, a cheeky grin plastered on his very handsome face. “I see that you are wearing my scarf.”

                He patted the space next to him, telling his hyung to sit next to him.

“I love you the most. Honestly.” Jongwoon muttered and sat beside the younger.

“Cheesy~”

“Am not. Shut up.”

“Hyung… I told you to stop coming here every day, right?” He stated, spoiling the previous mood.

“And I already made it clear that I won’t stop coming here every single day.” He smiled at the younger. “I brought you something that you really like. Guess what are they~~”

“It’s obvious that they are apples.” He said flatly.

“Cheeky.” He puffed his cheeks in fake annoyance. “I really wonder why I fell in love with a brat like you.”

“The real question hyung is ‘how’ my dear Woonie~” He chuckled. “You didn’t even slice them. How thoughtful of you hyung.”

“Still sarcastic. I really hate you. I really do. I’m serious.”

“I am serious too. Honestly, I love you too, I love you the most.”

                They were eaten by silence. They fixed their gazes on the horizon and chose to keep words from consuming their time together. Sometimes, it’s only enough to feel someone’s presence. No exchange of words, glance or gestures, just simply the feeling the other near you is enough. But his presence frustrates him. He felt so near yet so distant. Chilly breeze blew past by them, sending chills to his spine. He looked sideways, he didn’t even look cold. He felt a hand on his, intertwining their fingers together. A smile crept on both of their faces.

“Your hand is enough to keep me warm~” He said out of the blue.

“Idiot.” That was the only word he was able to say, or else he would be a stuttering mess.

                He blinked twice. He mentally scoffed and scolded himself. Who is he kidding anyway? He felt that loosened his hold on his hand. Jongwoon withdrew his hand from the younger’s loosened grip.

“I shouldn’t do this to you.” He muttered. “I am only making things worse for you.”

                Jongwoon didn’t say anything. Tears started to prick his eyes. He hugged his knees and buried half of his face on the scarf that he’s wearing, his scarf.

“Just let go. Remember the falling leaves.”

“Idiot.”

“You are still stubborn.”

“I am proud of it.” His voice cracked. “How can you do this to me?”

“I need to. I was a part of your life now.”

“I can’t believe you used the past tense. You are still part of my life. You are a huge part of my life. Scratch that. You are my life.”

“You can’t move forward if you keep on holding onto me. Remember the falling leaves.”

“I hate autumn.”

“Jongwoon hyung… please”

“I said I hate autumn… Autumn took you away from me…”

                The younger stood up. The snow started to fall. He knelt behind him and gave his hyung and gave him a back hug. That’s when he broke down. He tried to muffle his sobs, but screw it, he’s alone and he can cry until he’s exhausted. He needed to get a grip on himself, and absorb everything.  Truth really does hurt, that is why people choose to get eaten by denial and the fear. He stood up, got the basket and placed it near the bouquet of flowers. Someone must have visited earlier. He knelt down and traced the letters engraved on the marble. A new wave of tears overwhelmed him.

“You know I can’t wipe your tears, right? I’m equally frustrated with what you feel. I’m sorry.”

                He wiped his tear-stained using his sleeve.

“That is unsanitary you know?” He rolled his eyes.

He chuckled. “Then do something about my tears. Kyuhyunie.”