Goodbye, Yifan

Goodbye, Yifan

I always remembered that day. A small path with grass growing throughout it. I’m running as my hair bobbed and my skirt was waving around because of the wind. I’m running towards him…

Our first met is when the summer vacation. I was fourteen back then. Grandpa fell sick. So, my family and I came to Guangzhou to visit him. Grandpa was admitted in a countryside ward. His health condition became better and he will be discharged soon. So, we do not need to be worry anymore.

“Hanbyul. Go and take a look on your grandpa,” Mrs Kim said as she has something to talk about grandpa with the doctor.

“Okay!” Hanbyul nodded. Where it could have be.. Ah! Here. That’s him. Still sleeping like a baby. Okay, one two three..

“Grandpa!! Your cute granddaughter is here!!” She jumped on top of his grandfather. At least she thought it was her grandfather.

“Huh?” changing from lying position to sit, a cute boy with foreign features revealed himself.

A pointed nose, blonde hair, big eyes and natural curved eyelashes. This guy is perfect.

“What the..” Hanbyul widen her eyes as she realised something before, “Ah! My cute granddaughter is here,” the blonde boy hugged Hanbyul’s small body.

“WHO ARE YOU AND WHERE IS MY GRANDPA?!” Hanbyul said as she managed to get out of the boy’s embrace.

“Whoa, whoa. Relax. My name is Wu Yifan. You can call me Yifan and I don’t know where your grandpa is,” Yifan crossed his hand. Hanbyul blushed out of embarrassment. Yes, she got into wrong room. The stupidest thing that a human can make and she actually did that. She mentally slapped herself.

“What is your name and where are you from? I never seen you around before,” Yifan asked as Hanbyul did not say anything than standing and blushing in front of him. Cute.

“Uh-hum. My name is Hanbyul. I’m from Seoul and I came here to visit my grandfather,” Hanbyul answered, did not dare to look into Yifan’s eyes.

“Yifan, it’s time to check your blood pressure,” someone opened the ward’s door. The nurse.

“Okay,” Yifan sighed.

“Uh, can I come here again?” Hanbyul asked. Did I actually ask that question?

“Sure!” Yifan smiled. His mood lightens up, knowing that someone will visit him starting today.

I did.

Hanbyul left. Not knowing that her diary is not by her side.

-------------

“What is this?” Yifan picked a pink book under his bed.

“A book is meant to read, right?” he said to himself; already acknowledge that the book is Hanbyul’s.

He started to open the first page.

2nd February 2012

I have planted a sunflower seed in front of Grandpa’s house last year and guess what? It already blossomed!! The sunflower is so big, yellow and beautiful. No idea that I can planted such a gorgeous plant since everything that I planted ended to *cough* die.

Yifan giggled as there is a medium-sized sunflower drawing which Yifan more prefer-scribble on the bottom of the page. Yifan, himself doesn’t have a Picasso’s drawing-like but to be compared with Hanbyul’s drawing, his drawing is better. Like hundred times better.

Yifan stopped smiling. He realised that he never seen any sunflower before. This is his first time seeing a sunflower eventhough it was just a drawing. Then he heard a footsteps coming toward his room. He quickly hides the book under his white blanket and looked at the door, waiting the person to come in his room.

“Did you see my book? A pink one to be exact,” Hanbyul asked as she entered Yifan’s room.

“Ah, you mean this?” Yifan took the book out of his blanket, giving it to Hanbyul.

“Yes, thank you,” Hanbyul took it from Yifan before asked “By you any chance, read this book?”

“No, of course not,” Yifan gave Hanbyul his angelic smile.

“Okayy,” Hanbyul looked at Yifan, full of doubt.

-------------

“How old are you?” Hanbyul asked as Yifan read a book that Hanbyul bring.

They became closer since the first day they met. Hanbyul visited Yifan everyday even though her grandfather was discharged last week. There is one thing about Yifan she got to know-- about his sickness. His sickness is in a critical state, as the nurse who in-charge to take a look at Yifan’s condition said. Yifan barely got to go to school due to his illness.

“I’m fourteen,” Yifan closed the book.

“Woah! I’m fourteen too!” Hanbyul said.

“But I bet I’m smarter than you,” Yifan sticked out his tongue, provoking Hanbyul.

Hanbyul smirked. “Then, you must know how to solve this,” Hanbyul took out her homework.

Yifan started to do the questions until he finally realised that he is being played by Hanbyul. He stopped writing on the book.

“Why did you stop?” Hanbyul asked.

“Why am I doing your homework?” Yifan asked back.

“You said that you are smarter than me. Then I want you to prove it,” Hanbyul tried to hide her actual plan.

“Tsk. I am smart. Smart enough to know that you want me to complete your homework, lazy ,”

“I don’t know how to do it so, help me~” Hanbyul showing her famous puss-in-boots-eyes. Yifan who is really weak when it comes to aegyo, surrendered.

“Okay, okay. Now stop doing that before I died out of happiness,” Yifan picked his pencil back and started to teach Hanbyul.

-------------

“Do you have anything to do? Or anything to see?” Hanbyul eased the soft locks on Yifan’s hair using her finger as soon as she sat on Yifan’s bed and put Yifan’s head on her lap.

“What do you mean?” Yifan looked up at Hanbyul.

“What I mean is do you have anything you want to do or to see before, but you can’t because you’re trapped here,” Hanbyul trying to make her sentences more understandable.

“Hmm. No but I have someone to see what I want to see,” Yifan said.

“I always have this imaginary thought that I’m looking at a field full of sunflower with a person that I loved beside me,” Yifan took Hanbyul’s hand into his.

“Who is that person?” Hanbyul anticipated Yifan’s answer.

“You,” Yifan answered.

How can only one word that came out of his mouth make my heart fluttered so much?

-------------

I ran back home like a mad woman after knowing that Yifan wants to see a sunflower. Finally, I arrived home and quickly took some sunflower seed from the big sunflower that I planted before. Lucky me, the big sunflower did have a lot of sunflower seeds. I want to plant this sunflower seed with Yifan.

After collecting the sunflower seeds, I ran back to the hospital. I stopped for a while in front of Yifan’s room to take my breath again until I heard someone coughed nonstop inside of the room. I braved myself to open the door until I saw Yifan wiped his mouth with a handkerchief. The sight frightened me. There is a blood on the handkerchief.

I closed back the door slowly, don’t want Yifan to know that I’m there and I started running again. This time aimlessly and I cried as hard as I can. I know that Yifan is sick but this is too much for me. This is all too much for me. I love him and I don’t want him to suffer anymore. I wish that I can replace myself with him so that I am the one who is feeling the pain and not him.

-------------

“Hanbyul, have you packed your things up?” Mrs Kim asked.

“Yes, mom,” Hanbyul answered.

“Good because we are leaving on 5pm,” Hanbyul sighed.

Summer vacation already is on its ending and Hanbyul had to go back to Seoul. Only knowing that thing made Hanbyul feel depressed. That means she would have to leave Yifan. She doesn’t want to leave Yifan. In fact, she wants to be on his side forever. The fate must have hated them. Maybe because of that they cannot be together and maybe because of that too today is the last day she will meet Yifan.

-------------

Hanbyul have promised to herself. She will never cry in front of Yifan no matter what happens. So now she is, in front of Yifan’s room. With a deep breath, she opened the door. She walked to the bed where is Yifan sitting, smiling to her. She smiled back to Yifan and took a sit beside of Yifan’s bed.

“Where have you been?” Yifan started the conversation.

“Why did you ask? Do you miss me?” Hanbyul asked back.

“Of course I miss yo--“ Yifan cupped his own mouth.

“Ha! Got you!” Hanbyul clapped her hands.

“It’s not fair! You kind of trapped me!” Yifan shouted sarcastically. They both ended laughing.

“Yifan, I always want to thank you,” Hanbyul said, looking into Yifan’s eyes.

“For what?” Yifan raising his left eyebrow.

“Uhm, for everything,” Hanbyul doesn’t know what to say.

“Like doing your homework?” Yifan asked.

“Yeah. If only I can return back all of the things that you have done to me,” Hanbyul answered. 

“You can,” Yifan quickly cut Hanbyul’s words out.

“By what?” Hanbyul asked.

“Just let me play your hair for a while,” Yifan smirked and pulled Hanbyul to sit in front of him with her back facing him.

-------------

(a/n: I prefer you listen to this ^^)

Wu Yifan - Time Boils The Rain  ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klLDXVMUMFE 

“Hey, what are doing with my hair?” Hanbyul asked worryingly. She agreed to Yifan’s suggestion, to return back Yifan’s kindness towards her by sacrificing her hair to Yifan but three seconds later, she started regretted.

“Hey, I’m asking you,” Hanbyul asked again.

“Don’t worry. I will just make your hair looks like an alien,” Yifan said.

“Yah!!” Hanbyul shouted but still doesn’t move from her place. A minute later, there was only silence. Slowly, Yifan put his head on Hanbyul’s back.

“Please, don’t go,” Yifan pleaded. Huh? “Don’t leave me alone,” Yifan gave Hanbyul a back hug. Hanbyul gripped the bed sheet. No! Don’t cry in front of him!! But of course her heart did the otherwise. You have promised not to cry in front of him! You idiot! After a while holding back the urge of crying, a tear finally slipped across her cheek. One tear after another until a sob came out from .

“Hey, are you crying? I was just kidding,” Yifan raised his head. Taken aback by Hanbyul’s action.

“I don’t want to leave you too. I want to stay here with you!” Hanbyul hugged Yifan.

“Look. I was just joking, okay,” Yifan said.

“I don’t want to go home. I want to stay here with you,” Hanbyul looked at Yifan’s eyes. Yifan cupped Hanbyul’s cheek and pulled her lips closer to his. He kissed her affectionately and caressed her hair tenderly, trying to coax her not to cry anymore. He pulled back and gently wiped her cheek to remove the remaining tears.

“Don’t cry. You know what? You’re most beautiful when you smile,”

Suddenly, someone opened the door.

“Hanbyul-ah, it’s time to go home,” Mrs Kim said. Hanbyul looked back to Yifan.

He smiled genuinely to her. “It’s okay, Hanbyul. It’s okay,”

-------------

The summer vacation is nearly ended. I have given my farewell to him. It hurts absolutely when I know it is maybe the last farewell and perhaps I can’t see him anymore. It hurts until I cried and can’t even look back all the way home. The sunflower seeds. I didn’t even have a chance to give him that since it dropped on my way. *sigh*

-------------

3 years later

I’m now in front of Grandpa’s house. My family and I decided to go back to Guangzhou to celebrate Grandpa’s 80th birthday. At first, I didn’t want to but after hearing my Grandpa said that he really misses me, I changed my mind.

As soon as Hanbyul saw her grandfather, she said “Oh my god! Grandpa, you aged a lot!”

“I’m old already. It’s not a surprise to see these head full of grey hair, right?” Her grandfather smiled, revealing his dentures and his hidden wrinkles. Hanbyul nodded while Mrs Kim watched them with a smile plastered on her face.

“Mom, can I go somewhere? Only for a while,” Hanbyul asked Mrs Kim. Mrs Kim nodded and waved her goodbye.

Hanbyul walked out from the house. She herself doesn’t know where she was heading until she arrived to a place. A small path with grass growing throughout it. Hanbyul smiled as the old memories continuously came back into her mind. Now, she knew where she was heading to. The hospital. The place where she met him. Yifan.

After a minutes walking, she reached the hospital. Her heartbeat quickened as she entered the hospital. She knew. She already knew that Yifan is gone. Not that gone. Gone that by meaning died. Yes. Yifan has passed away. He didn’t even get to see the next summer after she left.  

She stopped by at Yifan’s former room. She touched the door, tried to recall all of the memory that she have spent with Yifan. Suddenly, someone called out for her.

“Hanbyul? Is that you?” Hanbyul turned her head to the area where the voice came out. The nurse. Hanbyul smiled.

“It is you! Look at you! You have grown up a lot. I wish Yifan is here—“ the nurse couldn’t  continue her sentences as she noticed Hanbyul’s face turned gloomy.

“It’s okay,” the nurse put her hand on Hanbyul’s shoulder to reassure her that everything is really okay.

“Now that you’ve come back, I have something to show you,” the nurse took Hanbyul’s hand and dragged her to someplace. When she felt that the place became nearer, she put both of her hands to cover Hanbyul’s eyes.

Hanbyul chuckled. “What is with it now?”

“Just to give it a little surprise,” the nurse shrugged.

“One two three.. Tadaa!” the nurse removed her hands from Hanbyul’s eyes.

Hanbyul gasped. What? She clasped her hand on . She is currently looking a field full of sunflower. Just like what she imagined before except one. Yifan is not by her side.

“Yifan planted all of this. He said that he found many sunflower seeds through the hospital sidewalks. He also said that he is sorry that he can’t stay any longer, to watch this with you,” the nurse said. A tear slipped across the Hanbyul’s cheek. How stupid I was. I have promised to myself not to cry in front of him before. But I did. It must be really hard for him. Hanbyul continued crying as the nurse leave her alone.

“Don’t cry,”

Hanbyul widen her eyes. “Who is it?!”

“Don’t cry. You’re most beautiful when you smile,”

“Yifan? Is that you?” there is no reply.

Hanbyul realised something. Yifan is dead. She snickered, remembering how stupid she was.

“Goodbye, Yifan,” she smiled as she let him go. Forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

a/n : Finally!! It's the end!! Thank you so much for reading. Don't forget to leave a comment or *cough* subscribe haha anyway see you next time!! Bye!!