My Letter to Prince Charming

My Letter to Prince Charming

October 6, 2014

 

Dear Alex,

Remember how we met?

It was biology class in our final year of high school and Mrs. Goodman was already assigning us projects despite that it was only the second day of school.  When I first saw you, I thought you were a rock star wannabe with hair grew down to your shoulder.

For some reasons, you took leadership in the group as if you were always meant to be in that role.  But you were mean to me just because I was a little bit on the quiet side.  I didn’t ask to be responsible for all those reading materials, but you kept assigning them to me.  I finally had enough when you passed another thick book on my desk for the eighth time that day.  So I called you out on it, “For a guy, you’re really petty.  Shouldn’t you be more of a gentleman, instead of leaving all the burdens to a girl?”

My group mate, Yura, who was sitting next to me and acting all frantic, pulled me aside and told me that you were actually a girl.

Shocked and embarrassed, I even forgot to apologize.

You just stared blankly at me without saying anything.

Maybe it was my lack of common sense, but you really did look like a boy to me.  In fact, you looked like the perfect prince of the olden times with your long silky hair, thick eyebrows, prominent cheekbones, tall nose, and porcelain skin.  I could actually imagine you riding on top of a white horse with your sword of courage at your side.  

From then on, you would always tease me, saying that I didn’t have any common sense.  However, did you know that no matter how you made fun of me, I was still glad that I lacked common sense?

Perhaps, you would not have even bothered with me if I didn't.

Later on, we learned that both of us were in the same school throughout our entire high school career.  However, it seemed fate insisted that we could only meet when the time was right.

I never knew being you was a challenging task that might take a long time.  I have always thought anyone could just be themselves with a little courage.  But in your case, courage was never in question…Yet, it would still take you a long time before you could spread your beautiful wings.

One day, the foolish me asked you why you still kept your hair long?  You were already becoming the perfect prince to me.

You were sad, but still tried to make it as if it was no big deal and told me, “I will cut it when my mom is ready.”

I was falling for you, even though you warned me with many subtle hints not to.  You were trying to protect me, I knew.  But you were happy that I was falling for you regardless, right?

I held your hand tight and we both ran up to the rooftop.  I ended up taking initiative when you shied away for the first time.  I tiptoed so that my lips leveled to yours.  I might not see the firework behind us like all others rumoured, but the moment our lips touched, I knew you and I were just meant for each other.

We might be foolish and alienated ourselves further from the rest of the world, but it didn’t matter to us.

I wish that time would have stood still then.

I should have held you back when you argued with your best friend because of me.  I regretted that I always hid behind you.  I should have stopped you guys.  I should not have listened to you and left you that day.

I thought I could relax when I saw you coming to school the next day.  Never have I been so wrong.  

You winced when I touched the unexpected bruises on your face.  You smiled and brushed it off as nothing.  But I knew better and I cried.  The spark in your eyes was no longer there from that day forward.

Every day, I hugged and kissed you…But the wound in your heart never truly disappeared.

And then one afternoon, you went on to become an angel like you were always meant to be.

I love you, Alex.

You were my Prince Charming.

But Prince Charming is from a fairy tale.

And fairy tales are not real.

 

Love you always,

Your Hyeri

 

PS: Okay, that’s it for now.  You know I can’t join you just yet.  So, wait for me patiently, my love.