Chapter 1 - Lack of Focus

School Love Affair

Jimin laughed as he strolled down the hall, hand gripping his backpack loosely. He wasn’t sure why he was even worried about the bag – he barely even had anything in it. All he carried to classes was a notebook and pencil, only sometimes bringing the book he needed with him. Jimin didn’t really care much about his grades as long as he passed, and studying hadn’t ever really been a necessity for him.

He might have been a senior, but he wasn’t too focused on getting into college.

As he slid into the chair at his desk he tossed his backpack onto the ground, pulling out his notebook and pencil and kicking the tote under his seat. Immediately he started doodling in the margins, not even waiting for the bell to ring and choosing to pay attention to his art instead of class.

Even when he heard the lesson start he didn’t look up at the teacher, only glancing at the clock and counting down the minutes until class was over. What finally pulled his attention was a note being tossed onto his desk. He raised a brow, unfolding the paper and grinning.

Your drawings are cute.

Jimin looked beside him, smiling at the girl that had tossed him the note and shrugging before he jotted down a quick response. He set it back on her desk with little wink, going right back to drawing while he pretended to pay attention to the lecture.

Thanks. Wanna hang later?

He watched her smile as she simply nodded in response, leaving Jimin to grin at his book when he ended up doodling a little sketch of her face.

When it came to relationships, Jimin wasn’t one of those who was ever single.

Jimin later found out her name was Sunhi and, though she talked a lot, she was sweet. He took her to dinner and they had fun, enough fun to ask her on a second date.

It was easy for Jimin to pick up girls.

That was something he liked about himself.

Every day for Jimin went relatively the same way: he would get to school, chat with friends, mostly ignore his teachers, and then go home. It had become a routine, something that he was used to.

So the day he walked to his normal classroom and saw a note on the door, he raised questioning brow. Sunhi stopped next to him, looking first at the note on the door, then at Jimin.

“We’re getting a new teacher?” she asked, her hand laced with Jimin’s loosely. Jimin just shrugged.

“I guess so. She’s probably going to ,” he replied, and Sunhi laughed as she nodded in response. When he opened the door Jimin was faced with someone he wasn’t expecting.

While his first teacher had been a frail older lady, his new teacher was male and looked barely older than he was. Jimin blinked, looking at him in surprise for a second before walking over to his seat and pulling out his notebook, like usual.

Like usual, he started drawing.

However, when the bell rang he glanced at the teacher, very much unlike usual.

“Hello. Your normal teacher is going to be out for the rest of the semester due to some personal reasons, so I’ll be taking over for her. My name is Jung Hoseok.”

Normally Jimin would have completely ignored anything after that, but the way that the man in front of them was smiling was actually holding his interest. It was like the smile never went away, and Jimin paused his drawing to watch. Sunhi watched intently as well.

“I know I don’t look old enough to be a teacher, and you can call me anything you want. Mr. Jung, just Jung, Hoseok; I don’t mind. Just pay attention in class and we’ll get along fine.”

With that he started the lesson and Jimin’s attention dropped completely, like usual.

From that point, Jimin let life go on normally, only paying enough attention to pass the tests and focusing more on Sunhi when he got home.

It was a Friday when Jimin sat down groggily, barely having gotten enough sleep the night before to stay awake. He’d been up late, watching movies and relaxing with his girlfriend, and now that he was here all he wanted was to go back to bed. Hoseok had started teaching already, but Jimin was zoning out and before he knew what had happened he fell asleep completely, head in his hand and eyes closed.

He must have made a sound in his sleep because the next thing he knew his name was being screamed into his ear and he jolted up, eyes wide as he looked around.

“If you could stay awake, I would appreciate it,” Hoseok said, and Jimin stared at him.

He had no idea how Hoseok had managed to get that close to him without anyone waking him up, but he was certainly close. Jimin took in a quick breath, eyes darting between both of Hoseok’s and nodding. Then Hoseok smiled and Jimin couldn’t help that his lips turned up in a smile as well, Hoseok patting his shoulder before returning to the front of the classroom.

When he’d moved back to the front of the room, Sunhi shot Jimin a smirk and Jimin just rolled his eyes, jotting down only a few notes before the bell rang.

For the first time in his senior high school life, Jimin actually paid some semblance of attention in a class. Mostly, he just paid attention to Hoseok’s smile, but it was something.

The bell rang and Jimin heaved a sigh of relief, tossing his notebook into his backpack and taking hold of Sunhi’s hand.

“Park Jimin? Can I see you for a moment?” Hoseok said, and Jimin stopped in his tracks, turning and facing the teacher with a slight frown. He gave Sunhi’s hand a soft squeeze and she smiled, waving as she left.

“I’ll wait outside for you, Jimin,” she said, closing the door behind her as Jimin waved back.

“I want to talk to you about your grades,” Hoseok eventually said in a sigh, standing and leaning against the front of the desk instead of sitting. Jimin’s frown only got worse and he looked down, shrugging.

“As long as I’m passing, I don’t care,” he replied, and Hoseok pursed his lips.

“You’re not,” he cut in, pulling out their last test. When Jimin saw the F written on the top he opened his mouth to defend himself but instead he just furrowed his brows and closed his mouth. Hoseok reached out, hand resting on Jimin’s shoulder and giving it a squeeze. “I can tutor you if you want. I have free time after class for a few hours.” Jimin shook his head.

“I’ll be fine. I’ll study more,” Jimin said, but Hoseok raised a brow.

“At least give me one session. That’s all. Then if you want to stop, we can stop,” he suggested, and Jimin sighed, head dropping back slightly.

Fine,” he agreed, and despite the half-hearted answer Hoseok still smiled, Jimin watching and smiling himself. He couldn’t help it – Hoseok’s smile was contagious. “When is this going to happen?” Hoseok just shrugged.

“It could happen now, if you want to,” he offered, and Jimin shrugged.

“Sure, whatever,” Jimin replied, Hoseok stepping back to sit in the chair behind his desk. He just wanted to get it over with; then he could get on with his life. “Just let me say goodbye to Sunhi and tell her she can head home.” Hoseok nodded, watching as Jimin slipped out of the room.

When he came back the two immediately got started, Hoseok taking his time as Jimin actually listened. With no one to distract him and Hoseok paying attention to only him, Jimin didn’t even find himself doodling.

It was different from the usual, but he didn’t mind.

“You’re a pretty okay teacher,” Jimin said, and Hoseok grinned happily.

“You’re a good student once you pay attention and stop drawing,” Hoseok replied, and Jimin’s smile fell flat before he rolled his eyes.

“Thanks,” he said, chuckling and glancing at the clock. “I have to go home, but… We can do one of these again, right?” he asked, and Hoseok looked up from a paper he’d been looking over.

“You want me to tutor you?” Hoseok asked, and Jimin nodded.

“Sure, why not? I actually pay attention to you,” he replied with a shrug, pulling his backpack over his shoulder. “I can come in every Friday or something.” Jimin watched as Hoseok jotted something down on a piece of paper, putting it into his pocket.

“I’ll write it down on my schedule. I expect you to be here and just as attentive as you were today, okay?” he asked, and Jimin nodded and smiled.

“Sure,” he said, waving as he walked to the door.

Maybe he could actually get used to studying if he had Hoseok as a tutor.