Prologue

Develop From the Negatives

Prologue;

You know, each day we go through we take for granted. It's not like we don't appreciate another 24 hours given to us, but we don't appreciate it enough that we have another day to make up for what we did yesterday. We have another chance to put a smile on someone' s face, or make ourselves happy for once. Each day that passes by, we don't notice the changes that takes place. We don't notice the people leaving our lives slowly as new ones enter. We never notice the neighbor who glances at us when they can; or the dog that we go by when we pass by this house. It's that every day, life gives us something new. We just don't, capture it like we should.


It was beautiful. How the stars tried to outshine each other in the atmosphere high above the clouds. How the trees rustled as the fresh spring wind whistles by them. How the grass felt soft like pillows underneath two children's hands; and how the Earth seemed perfectly still, as if it were only them that mattered. And that were the exact feelings of Kim Kota and Jung Daehyun.

Kota eased herself in the grass, her pastel night gown fluttering in the wind. Her black as night hair tossed over her shoulder carelessly, occasionally visiting the front of her face, brushing it casually aside when it clouded her vision. Such a petite young girl, Kim Kota was. Her elbows held her just above the grass, her caramel orbs wide in amazement as it gazed at the night sky, drinking each and every star it came across to.

Beside her was a young boy, just about her age. Messy and tousled black hair, clothes a little too big for him and shoes that were the same. He, instead of using his elbows, laid down on his back, perfectly still. And instead of gazing at the night sky like Kota, Daehyun allowed himself a night of relaxation beside his best friend. His fingers linked behind his head as he wiggled a little to get more comfortable.

"Daehyun?" Kota whispered, her eyes still on the wonderful starlights.

"Hm?"

"I'll save money to buy those thingy-majiggers that makes a picture when you click on that little button thing and it has a flash-"

"It's called a camera, Kota."

Kota blushed as she was lectured effortlessly by her best friend. She stuck her tongue out, eyebrows coming together to form an angry expression. But the boy just sighed and opened one eye, a small smirk dancing on his lips.

"Stop that, you look ugly."

"You're the ugly one! And apparently, an unappreciative one too!"

"I have a name, in case you have noticed. I don't exactly like being called 'one' preceded by an adjective-"

"Oh shut up, Dae." Kota giggled at her mild insult, but it didn't seem to faze the boy who just wanted to relax. He just merely let out a sigh and closed his eyes. Kota furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, her head tilted cutely to one side. The wind blew just then, making her flowery gown rise a little. Her eyes brightened subtly, her index finger coming up in the air - an expression when she had a clever or idiotic idea.

"You're an unappreciative one!" Kota roared, her voice echoing in the meadow as she rolled on top of Daehyun, her legs and arms spread out wide, thinking that it would make her heavier. Poor Daehyun spluttered out well thought-out profanities, his face twisting in pain. Kota wasn't as light as the other girls in their village. Kota had an appetite of a cow, and her body displayed it. Daehyun panted, trying to get some air into his lungs as he tried to push the enormous weight off of him by pushing her shoulders.

"You're so heavy! AND STOP CALLING ME 'ONE' PRECEDED BY AN ADJECTIVE!"

"Smarty pants!" Kota laughed aloud as she rolled back into the grass, the brightest smile on her face as she spread her arms and legs out again, moving them up and down. "Look! I'm making a grass angel!"

Daehyun sat himself up with his elbows, shaking his head to get rid of the grass that fell onto him. He glanced back at Kota who was enjoying herself too much, making Daehyun laugh. "You look ridiculous, Kota."

"I told you to call me Kimmie! I sound more mature that way!" The 13-year-old Kota pouted, sitting up abruptly, her hair as messy as Daehyun's. The corner of Daehyun's lip quirked upwards as he reached forward, smoothening her hair with his hands. "You know for a girl, you sure don't act like one. And no, I'm sticking with Kota."

Kota stuck her tongue out childishly again, crossing her eyes to add salt to the injury that Daehyun didn't even feel. Daehyun rolled his eyes and flicked her forehead.

"Ow! What was that for?!"

"For being a baby-"

"So anyways, about the camera. I'll save up to buy one! I saw a poster of some kind in the village, a really beautiful one. Not those posters posted on bars. But the kind posted on the walls of houses. Pictures of meadows like this, of mountains far away, of the sky that's above us, and of ordinary people. Like you and me."

In the last sentence, Kota extended her finger to point at Daehyun before to herself. Daehyun raised an eyebrow. "I hardly doubt you're ordinary, more so a person."

Kota pouted before reaching over and punching him on the shoulder. As a girl, Kota was pretty strong too. Hanging out with a boy did give her an advantage. Daehyun rubbed the sore place with a pout, knowing full well how good Kota punched. One time, she beat up a girl just because she teased Daehyun when they were little. Daehyun didn't hear the end of that from Kota.

"And what was that for?"

"For being a meanie. Anyways, I couldn't ask from mom and dad since they have to send me to school and stuff as well as sell in the market.. but that's alright! I told them my plan and they were pretty excited. They thought me how to start saving." With those words, Kota sat cross-legged in front of Daehyun excitedly, taking out her money that was in her night gown's pocket, "I have 3000 Won to start with! My mom gave me 1000 won, my dad the other 1000 won and the lady from the bookshop gave me my 3rd 1000 won! My mom said, if you really, really, really want something, you would have the patience to wait until the right time comes to get it. Not a moment sooner, nor a moment later. And with the money I'll have by then, I bet I can buy it! Don't you think so, Daehyun?"

Daehyunw as half-dazed when Kota was explaining. It was always like that. Whenever Kota talked too fast, Daehyun would half-listen and half-stare at how wonderful she looked under the moonlight. But Daehyun got the gist of it. He grunted and looked down, his hand shoving in his pocket to dig out what he wanted. Kota cocked her head to one side. "Daehyun?"

"Here." Daehyun quickly dropped 2000 won on her lap before looking away to hide the blush that was rising on his face. Kota looked at the two crumpled 1000 won on her lap before picking it up with shaking fingers. She smoothened it out and gasped - it was real money.

"B-But Daehyun, don't you need this for-"

"No. You can have it. Besides.. I don't have anything to use it for."

It was a lie. Daehyun had wanted to buy the candy that he saw the other day and begged his father for money. He nearly threw a tantrum when his dad calmed him down and gave him 2000 won.

"Are you sure? I mean, I saw you looking at candy-"

"I said have it. I-It's a gift. You now have 5000 won right?" Daehyun glanced back at her, giving her a firm stare now that he knows the heat on his face is gone. Kota nodded before beaming, slipping the notes into her night gown pocket.

"Well aren't you a generous one?"

"Are you deaf? What did I say about-"

"SHHH! The stars are speaking!" Kota dramatically hushed Daehyun, her eyes closed tight as a finger pressed to Daehyun's lips to keep him from yapping. At first, Daehyun was shocked at the warm and small finger pressed to his lips, but then he settled for a poker expression.

"You're crazy," Daehyun mumbled against her finger before laying back down in the grass; this time, Kota joined him. She stared at the galaxy, her mind wandering far off.

"Daehyun?"

"Yeah?"

"When we get to the city someday, take me to a candy shop."

"And why would I do that?"

"So I can buy you that candy you have been eyeing for the past week - You're dad was pretty chatty with mom this morning."

Kota side-eyed her best friend but Daehyun just rolled his eyes, gently elbowing her sides.

"You can laugh at me now."

"Why would I do that? It's sweet. Thanks Dae. Oh! Wait, I almost forgot."

A petite pinky then appeared in front of Daehyun's eyes, and knowing what the meant, he groaned before linking his pinky with hers.

"Repeat after me. I swear," Kota started solemnly, which Daehyun had to chuckle at. Kota shot him a glare. "Say it."

"I swear."

"I'll take Kota to the candy shop once we get to the city."

"I'll take Kota to the candy shop once we get to the city."

Kota unlinked her pinky quickly, clapping her hands in celebration. She flashed another smile at Daehyun who couldn't help but smile back. She was his best friend since they were toddlers. And being there right now, on a meadow in the countryside with nothing but each other and the stars, life felt so much better.

But of course, life wasn't fair to anyone. And it wasn't long before they grew up and Fate intervened.


A/N: Hello everyone! First chapter up! Tell me what you guys think. :) xoxo.