Punishment

Punishment

"Five, six, seven, eight. Cut! Okay, good job everyone. Please practice the dance again if you have free time. Good night!" The dance trainer clapped her hands and gave a slight shoulder tap to show her support to her three 'students'.

"Thank you for your hard work!" The three girls, along with their dance partners who were full of sweats from head to toe, bowed their heads as the teacher walked away.

"Now that's a tough one" Tiffany commented as long as she was sure that every single person except the three of them were gone and no one could hear their conversation. 

"Unnie, water" Seohyun threw the water bottle to her other older members and then wiped her own sweats.

"Thanks, Seohyun. I am dying here" The oldest girl between the three gulped down the water, almost all in one shot. Panting hard, she felt like she didn't even have enough energy to walk anymore so she ended up lying on the floor.

Tiffany sat down beside her and not long after the youngest did the same. They took a while to catch their breaths before the bubbly Tiff opened again.

"Hey, the choreography may be hard but it must look good on stage. I am sure the fans have never seen this dance concept from us before"

"Whatever, I still don't like the way that dude touches my thigh" Taeyeon rolled up her eyes cynically. "You would keep it a secret from Sunny, don't you?"

Tiffany and Seohyun looked at each other and smirks appeared on the corners of their mouths. 

"Don't worry, Tae. Sunny is not that type who leashes out her anger in a scary way" 

"Oh. You have just never seen it before" Taeyeon crooked as a reply to Tiff while her mind brought her back to the day where she got caught staring at a famous Western's model in bikini and got ignored for what seemed like forever by her girlfriend.

"Speaking of Sunny unnie, I really miss her" The innocent maknae meddled in before Taeyeon's memory could go back any further. "She's been living in that Roommate dorm for a while now. I wish she could go home to our dorm on weekends"

"Not to mention she has radio and sometimes practices for our Tokyo Dome concert, too. Geez she's probably waay busier than us" 

"I just wish she takes care of her health well" Seohyun pouted, her eyes fixed on the floor.

Then there was a very brief silence in the room, no one said anything until the second oldest took a peek at Taeyeon and realized something. She then poked Seohyun's elbow, which made the latter realize the same thing too.

Taeyeon had turned her body to the opposite direction by then, not showing the others her gloomy face. It was not like the other two did not know it; because it was very obvious that Taeyeon missed Sunny. She missed her girlfriend. Their schedules had been colliding for a while now; Taeyeon couldn't keep track of how long they hadn't spent time together but it had made her miss her Sunny that much. 

"Aigoo, unnie" Seohyun made a time to giggle a bit before she tried to roll Taeyeon back to her original position. "We have two days or so before we have the showcase, don't we?"

Seohyun needed not to say more since Taeyeon had got what she meant. She gave her a smile. "I know, Seohyun-ah. I will make good use of that time"

"Now let's go home. I really want to lay down on my bed right now" Tiffany stood up, holding her waist like an old grandma as she did so. Seohyun followed her behind.

Taeyeon's bright face came back as she thought of spending time with Sunny. She finally stood up with her mind still planning on what to do for their hard-earned date.


* * *

"What? Sunny is not coming home tonight!?" 

Taeyeon's voice exploded at the dorm the next morning as she talked on the phone. She had tried contacting Sunny since last night but all Sunny replied was 'I am shooting right now, talk to you later'. She tried messaging her again at night and it was not replied and she could do to think positively was that Sunny had fallen asleep. In the morning, though, she could not take it anymore when Sunny's phone seemed to be out of reach. 

She ended up calling her manager by saying that she was afraid something had happened as a reason. Her manager told her Sunny was just fine and was out filming right then. That made Taeyeon relieved, but the fact that she was not coming home again that weekend shocked and saddened her.

"Why? How? I mean.. Isn't she supposed to come home tonight? How long is the filming actually taking? How many episodes are there?" Taeyeon walked here and there, back and forth, in the living room of their dorm while bombarding the questions.

"Whoa, whoa. Take it easy, Taeyeon" 

The manager then explained one reason by one reason, which were just the usual variety show rules Taeyeon had heard before. In the end, all she could do was sighing and thanking the manager before she ended the phone call. 

Seohyun came out of her room with messy hair and baggy eyes. She scratched her eyes before realizing Taeyeon's angry presence in the living room. "What happened unnie?"

"Your Sunny unnie is not coming home again tonight" She answered lazily.

"Why?"

"Usual variety show rules or something like that. I wasn't really listening" She let out a long, deep breath again. "Maybe I should spend my weekend with you guys again this time"

"Cheer up unnie" Being the supportive maknae she was, Seohyun rubbed her leader's shoulder to calm her down. "Let's go somewhere tonight. We can eat in that restaurant we once went together"

"Thank you" Taeyeon beamed a weak smile before Seohyun left her to the bathroom.

The day passed and, somehow, they ended up just slacking off in Tiffany Hwang Miyoung's bedroom that afternoon, watching movies together. Taeyeon did not really understand all the American English conversation in the films which mostly only Tiffany could understand (Seohyun just used it to practice her English), but still thought it was better to join rather than spending her time thinking about Sunny in her own room. Her mind would frequently go back again and again to Sunny, though, as scenes after scenes of the movie flashed over her eyes

They were on the scene where the couple of the story were kissing when Tiffany's phone vibrated. Almost no one realized it until Seohyun caught the noise and told Tiff about it.

"Hello?" Tiffany answered the phone right away. "Oh? Manager unnie?"

Taeyeon was hoping it would be from Sunny, but soon as she heard who it was, she kept her eyes back to the TV screen. She knew the manager unnie would just sometimes call in the middle of the night to make sure they took good care of their health, not staying up too late, practice their dance moves and the list went on and on.....

"Sunny is in the hospital!?" 

The blonde-hair leader jolted up from her bed upon the statement and went straight away to snatch the phone from the other girls' hand.

"Unnie what happened!?"


* * *


The hospital was as crowded as always, which was why they used the building's back door to enter, avoiding medias' reporters. The manager had told them it was far from serious, but the girls were relentless, especially Taeyeon. Her face was pale but her footsteps were quick. In a flash they soon arrived in front of the VIP room.

Taeyeon had entered with a devastated look when Sunny had waited for her with a grin on her face. The leader sighed and approached her.

"Yah, you can still smile?" Taeyeon fired away.

"I am fine, Taeyeon. It's not that bad. I was just too exhausted, that's all" 

"What started as not serious could have turned serious!" Taeyeon scanned Sunny from head to toe. Sunny's face was much paler and her puffy cheeks were gone. Her body was getting thinner and Taeyeon regretted why she hadn't realized this much sooner before. "How are you feeling right now?"

"I am better than a few hours ago"

Tiffany and Seohyun had been behind Taeyeon by then. Sunny hugged them one by one and gave them an assurance that she was just fine. But Taeyeon knew Sunny much better than the others, she was her girlfriend afterall, that Sunny would probably just say 'fine' even after she got through a serious illness in her life. 

"How did it start? Did you starve yourself? Did they have you do any exercise that required all of your energy?" Taeyeon and her question bombs began again. She Sunny's fingers gently.

"No, they didn't. I was just too exhausted because I kept going back and forth everyday between radio and filming" 

"You really need a few days rest, Sunny" Tiffany commented. 

"I just need to be more relax about it, that's all" Sunny replied. 

"Even if you don't take a rest, I know I will make you have" Taeyeon's sharp eyes caught Sunny's.

"Taeyeon-ah, I-"

"Don't say 'I am fine' because I know you are not" Taeyeon locked their eyes once more while tightening the grip on her hands, biting her lips.

When Taeyeon bite her lips, Sunny knew she was being serious, and she could not do anything but to obey. Taeyeon would be overly worried about her at times like this, and now that Sunny remembered, this could affect her performance for her comeback as well. 

So she decided to rub Taeyeon's fingers, which were now intertwined with hers. "Okay, Taengoo. Okaay"

The conversation went on as the evening came. Tiffany told Sunny mostly about the funny things they encountered through the preparations of their comeback. It made Sunny laugh and, even though it was not in a situation she wanted, Taeyeon was still happy to see those smiles and laughters again. 

Night came in a blink of an eye as Seohyun looked at her watch.

"Unnie, I think we should go back to the dorm tonight"

Miyoung checked her phone and nodded. "I think it is. We can't be late for our rehearsal tomorrow"

"You guys should go home. Manager unnie will be here with me tonight" Sunny responded. 

"I guess I'll just see you guys on the rehearsal tomorrow then" Taeyeon stated, which made everyone turn their gazes at her.

"Are you saying you're not going home tonight?" Sunny questioned right away.

"Why? Am I not allowed to stay as your girlfriend?"

"Hell no. Taeyeon, you need your rest" 

"I can rest here"

"You don't even bring a sleeping bag with you"

"I can ask manager unnie to buy one"

"Taeyeon.."

"I am staying"

"You have your comeback soon. I don't want you to get sick"

"I'll get sicker if I can't stay with you tonight" Taeyeon looked deeply into Sunny's eyes. "Please, let me stay"

Once again, Sunny lost to that gentle, caring face of her girlfriend. She was afraid that Taeyeon would get sick too, but she had to admit she needed her girlfriend company right now. When she started losing her consciousness earlier in the morning, all she could think of was Taeyeon. She wanted Taeyeon's hug and needed Taeyeon's warmth. 

"Promise me you'll eat well" Sunny finally said.

Taeyeon smirked in victory. "I always take care of myself well so I can take care of my girlfriend"


* * *

The people's voices that surrounded the aisle in front of the room gradually got quieter. Most of the hospital staffs had gone home, leaving some nurses around. Since the rules only permitted one bystander for each night, the manager unnie went home and Taeyeon stayed. 

There was a sudden knock on the door when the couple was still talking in the room, giggling to each other. As far as Taeyeon remembered, the visit time had almost finished and there was no notice that someone would come to visit them. The other five girls from the group also had said that they would drop by tomorrow.

Taeyeon opened the door nevertheless, finding a figure of a girl around her age in front of the door. She had seen the familiar face somewhere before. 

"Anyonghaseyo, Taeyeon sunbaenim. Is Sunny sunbaenim in this room?" The girl bowed to her politely.

"Ah, yes, she is inside. You are..?"

"Park Chorong from Apink. I got the news from my members that Sunny sunbaenim is also treated here. Is she asleep?"

"No. Would you like to talk to her?"

"Ah, may I?" 

Taeyeon soon showed the way to the younger girl. She didn't know since when Sunny had become friends with Chorong, but they looked quite close to each other. Taeyeon thought it would only take a few minutes or so, but she waited for a few minutes and they kept conversing. 

Then Taeyeon caught the look on Chorong's face when that girl was talking to Sunny. Her body language, her facial expressions, everything. That Chorong girl would sometimes touch Sunny's hand in the middle of their shy laughters. She would sometimes pose a cute face to Sunny, whether it was under Sunny's notice or not. 

"I heard you mentioned me often in your radio. You know I feel really shy everytime you do that" Chorong confessed, her face blushing a bit.

"Ah, don't be shy. I do like you. You are a bright girl in Apink and the leader. You can stand up for your members and be strong for them. That's a good personality"

Overhearing the sentences, Taeyeon felt a slight pang on her heart. As long as she recalled, this was the first time Sunny and Chorong met privately outside of the showbiz stuffs. She had no idea Sunny knew a lot about Chorong. To think about it, Chorong was also a leader. She was beautiful and caring, too. Sunny had mentioned her several times before. 

Sunny might have just...

"Uhm, I'm sorry" Taeyeon decided to cut it off. "But I think the visit time has been over and Sunny needs her rest now"

"Ah, okay. I'm really sorry" Chorong bowed to both of them. "I should have realized the time. Thank you Sunny sunbaenim"

"Don't mention it. I would like it if you visit more often" Sunny said the last statement which sent Taeyeon gulping in jealousy.

"I will. Thank you Sunny sunbaenim, Taeyeon sunbaenim. Good night"

Not in the mood after the two's gooey conversation, Taeyeon just gave her a short bow and let her walk out through the door. The room was filled with silence when Sunny just put her head back to her pillow and yawned. 

"I didn't know you know her that much"

"This is the first time we talk privately, indeed, outside of stages. But I have known her often from news and stuffs"

"And I didn't know you are that much into her"

"I am not into her. I just find her adorable as a dongsaeng. By the way, you shouldn't have cut our conversation like that. I still wanted to talk to her to be honest"

"Wanted to talk to her that much that you forgot you're sick and needed rest?" Taeyeon chuckled in annoyance. "She must be that special to you then"

"I didn't forget that I'm sick, but I could have cut the conversation myself and you didn't need to cut it off for me"

"So I just needed to sit here and listen to all of your sweet conversation with her?"

"Sweet conversation? I wasn't talking sweetly with her"

"Yeah, right. Like I can't see how much she likes you too"

"Taeyeon, your jealousy doesn't have any right over me talking to her"

"Fine, fine!" Taeyeon threw her eyes to another direction. 

"How many times have we talked over this again and again?"

"Why do you think I decided to stay here tonight? It's all for you!"

"That doesn't have anything to do with it either" Sunny glared at her. "You need to stop being jealous and overly worried. It's not like I cannot take care of myself"

That hurt Taeyeon's pride, and Sunny realized it. She gulped when she realized Taeyeon just froze on her chair. 

"Taeyeon, it's not like I didn't appreciate your presence here.."

"It's okay. I know I'm wrong" Taeyeon muttered. "You're right. I should have gone home from the start. I didn't need to be here"

"Taeyeon that's not what I-"

"No, it's fine. I'll go home now" Taeyeon took her bag from the floor. 

"Go home now? It's already late, Taeyeon. Taeyeon, look, I'm sorry, okay? Please, just leave tomorrow. It's dangerous to go home at this time"

"I can use a taxi" Taeyeon stood up. "Good night, Sunny"

"Taeyeon, wait!" Sunny was about to grab her hands, but she was held back by the IV shot on her hand. "Taeyeon"

As if hearing nothing, Taeyeon kept stepping further and further away. Knowing that she could not let her girlfriend go like this, Sunny decided to pull out the IV from her wrist and chased after the leader. 

Taeyeon was in the middle of the aisle, on the way to the lift, when Sunny's footsteps were heard behind her. She thought Sunny was bringing her IV with her, but little did she know that Sunny was just running while holding her stomach in pain. 

"Taeyeon, wait!" 

That was the last sentence before Taeyeon heard a sound of a bumping body on the floor. She didn't want to believe what she heard but when she quickly turned her head to look, she found Sunny was already on the floor. 

"Sunny!!" 

She ran to the motionless body in panic. Her sweats started falling down like a heavy rain. Her lips turned as white as a sheet of paper and her heartbeat was uncountable. She could never forgive herself if something happened to Sunny. To her precious girlfriend. Just no.

"Sunny!" She shook the body even though it was futile. "Sunny-ah!"

Fortunately, she was trained to take a quick action over a problem and that's what she did after that. She ran to the nurses' table, explained Sunny's condition, and came back with two or three nurses to where Sunny was still unconscious.

"We need to bring her back to the bed first"

"Okay. Okay" Taeyeon wiped her sweats and at this rate, all she could do was to listen to the nurse. She lifted and carried Sunny in her arms, she didn't know where she got so much strength to do so, but she just did. 

However, she could only intertwine her own fingers together, praying as the nurse checking on Sunny. After a while, the nurses seemed to be calming down.

"She's fine. Her body just went through a sudden shock because she let go of her IV shot" 

Taeyeon breathed out a long, relieved breath. "Thank god. Thank you, nurse. Thank you so much"

"You're welcome. But please make sure she gets good rest after this"

"I will. I will. Thank you once again"

The nurses set up some more medical tools beside Sunny before they went back to their places one by one. Taeyeon sat back on the same chair she used before leaving, closing her eyes and breathing in and out. Afterall, she was in so much shock herself. 

But soon after she opened her eyes once more, looking at Sunny's stomach just to make sure the girl she loved so much was still breathing safe and sound. She regretted what she had done in the first place to make Sunny like this, and there was no way she could make it up to Sunny when she woke up later.

She still took Sunny's hand anyway and lingered her own around those smooth fingers. She brought it to her lips and kissed it.

"I'm sorry" 

She said as she locked their fingers together once more. As she stared and stared at Sunny's beautiful face, her eyes slowly got heavier. 

She put her head on the bed right next to Sunny's arms and drifted herself to sleep.


* * *

When the girl with shorter hair opened her eyes once more in the morning, she didn't remember how she ended up passing out. She slowly blinked her eyes to fully regain control over her consciousness.

After she was sure that she was not yet dead and was still on the same bed she used yesterday, the image of Taeyeon's back slowly getting further away flashed back again. She then was about to jolt up in panic before she could feel something was holding her hands. She rolled her eyes down to look and find a sleeping Taeyeon.

Sunny slowly got up to her sitting position to get a better view of her girlfriend. She then could see Taeyeon was literally sleeping on the chair, with her head crooked to the right, one hand holding her own hand, and the other arm limping in the middle of the air beside the chair just like that.

She could feel how uncomfortable it must be to sleep in such a way, and the fact that Taeyeon did it just so she could hold her hands all night gave her both a painful and warm feeling at the same time. She unconsciously strengthened the grip of their hands together, which stirred Taeyeon from her sleep.

Sunny watched as Taeyeon opened her eyes and how sleepy she looked when she was trying to find out what had woken her up. However, Taeyeon's eyes got widened once she saw the sitting Sunny in front of her. 

"Sunny-ah!" She threw her hug right away and put Sunny's head on her chest. "Are you okay now? Are you feeling pain anywhere?"

Overwhelmed by her lover's worries, Sunny's eyes got teary. She lingered her arms around Taeyeon's waist. "I am okay now. I am okay. Please don't worry"

After a moment or so, Taeyeon let go of the embrace and looked at her with sad, regretful eyes. "I am sorry"

Sunny shook her head. "I should be the one trying to understand why you got jealous, and why you decided to stay at the first place"

"Still, I shouldn't have just walked away like that. You wouldn't have gone through this. You wouldn't have been hurt"

"Hey, I am not hurt" Sunny said with her still-husky voice. "I am fully healthy right now. Because you held my hand all the night"

"I am sorry for getting jealous"

"Stop saying sorry" Sunny put her palm on Taeyeon's cheek and rubbed it. "And stop being jealous. You know there will never be anyone who can replace you. You are the only one who can steal my heart everyday, like, literally. Even when I am filming, DJ-ing, all I can think about is you"

"Same goes for me. There's no practice or recording where I don't think about you at all. I.. I'm sorry for all this. I think it's just because I miss you too much that I couldn't let you spend a time with anyone else. I know I shouldn't be like that"

"Will you please stop saying sorry and just do your punishment instead?"

Taeyeon pulled her face away a bit for a moment. "Huh? I get a punishment?"

"Yes"

"W- What is it?" Taeyeon trembled a bit, afraid that Sunny would say something like a short break-up.

But, all Sunny did was close her eyes and lifted her chin.

"Kiss me already, right now" The aegyo queen said shortly.

Taeyeon chuckled, laughing at herself for her paranoid thought. It didn't take long for her to slowly approached Sunny's face, closer and closer.

"I'll gladly take my punishment for a hundred times"