Realisation

Matchmaker

'What has gotten into you?' she asked her reflection in the mirror. She'd been feeling out-of-sorts and sometimes moody, sometimes cranky for the past week. For no apparent reason. It wasn't like it was the first time she was filming overseas, and it had only been 2 weeks since she flew over, full of anticipation of acting with a foreign cast, only to feel the restlessness grow within her after a few days. She misses her apartment, her parents who would often nag at her, the meetings with RunningMan members over meals and drinks.  She was still musing when her phone buzzed.  She glanced at the screen and was absurdly pleased that it was a message from 'Kook'.  It was what she had saved Jong Kook oppa's contact as.

"Hey Ms Mong, how is filming coming along? I'm coming to China myself for a variety show shoot next week".

She was somewhat upset that he didnt share the news with her earlier. Wasnt that what a good friend should do? Nonetheless, she called to ask him more about the shoot. She couldnt help but smile when she heard his voice, and the smile grew wider after he told her that he'd just received the confirmation news himself 10 minutes ago. They chatted for nearly an hour. She asked him what the rest of them had been up to recently, and sniggered when he told her about how Kwangsoo embarassed himself the other day when trying to act cool in front of a pretty girl. She missed his voice, his smile with his crinkly eyes, his gaze.  As she hung up the phone reluctantly, it began to dawn on her that there was indeed something different about this overseas filming stint. It was the first time she had left a bit of her heart back home.

After that call, she didn't again ask herself why she was restless and missing home so much.  They chatted every night on the phone since then. It was ridiculous how pleased she was about the fact that he was flying here and the two of them would no longer be separated by thousands of miles.  Not that they would have a chance to meet up, especially with his short 2-day fiming schedule that was packed to the brim.  But somehow she felt that she would miss home a little less during those few days.

Of course, that sentiment waned on the last day of his filming. As she asked him about his flight back to Korea the next day, she had an impulse to just pack up and go with him. Her mind was blank and she couldnt get her spirits up at all when he asked how she intended to spend her one-day break from filming the day after.

'Probably sleep the whole day in my room,' she mumbled. He only chuckled at her reply.

The next day, when she thought that she had seen someone who looked like her oppa from the back, she gave herself a mental shake. Lunch break was just half an hour away and she could mope all she wanted then. When her co-star Kenji Wu came over to chat during the break, she had groaned inwardly at first, but as Kenji tried to speak to her using a mixture of mangled Korean and English, she cheered up a little. He kind of reminded her of Kwangsoo.

'Jihyo-ssi, your coffee' a voice came from behind. It startled her, because it sounded just like the man she was missing desperately. But as she turned towards the voice, she could do nothing but stare at the endearing face and smile. The next thing she knew, she was already in his arms. It was fortunate that the lid on the coffee cup he held was tightly capped, since she had flung herself at him with considerable force borne out of surprise and utter delight.

'Oppa,' she breathed in his cologne and leaned back to look up at him. Neither of them were inclined to release each other from the embrace. Nor were they aware that many people on the set were staring, especially those who recognised who the man in the sunglasses was. The two subjects of attention were too busy drinking in the sight of each other.

'You've lost weight,' both him and her said accusingly to each other at the same moment. She stuck out her tongue at him while he broke into a tender smile. His arm tightened on her waist as she fired her questions. How did he know where she was; what was he doing here on the set; wasn't he supposed to fly back to Korea today?

He only shrugged and said that his schedule was free for the next few days. When he told her, somewhat shyly, that he meant to spend the next day doing some sightseeing with her on her film break, she gasped and almost lunged into his arms again, only to be interrupted by her manager. Lunch time was over. Her manager, who privately thought that they were attracting too much attention with their obvious infactuation for each other, hurriedly ushered him away while he signalled to her that he'll text her.

Filming went better and ended earlier than expected. For the first time in weeks, she could really focus on what she was doing, being motivated by an inexplicable emotion, just knowing that he was there to give her support. She owed her manager one, for her manager had been the one who gave Jong Kook oppa details of her schedule, and even helped to book a room at the hotel where she was staying.

He was there when she returned to the hotel. When she realised that he looked better rested than he did in the afternoon, her heart swelled. He was here. For her. Even though there were beginnings of dark smudges under his eyes.

'I missed you,' she thought as she leaned into him again. 'I'm so glad you're here,' she said instead. The realisation of her feelings towards him was still new, and raw.

'So am I,' he said softly as he rubbed his cheek against her hair.  They stayed in the embrace in silence, because sometimes, words are unnecessary.

 


Note: Sorry guys, been missing in action for some time.  Some of you have asked that I continue Fatal Attraction, but I need more inspiration before I can do that. In the meantime, this is just some plot that I've had in my mind for some time and needed to get it out. I doubt the timeline in the story was accurate, but well, this is just for fun! Happy holidays everyone!