Just Because

Just Because

“I look stupid.” Joohyun declares the minute Yonghwa forces the Mickey Mouse hat on her. Giggling, he holds his girlfriend closer to him, and then he gathers her hair in a low ponytail for her. “Why did I agree again?” She definitely did not expect to skip her weekly meeting with the rest of her council members for an escape to a theme park; then again, she is Jung Yonghwa’s girlfriend. The guy can be very unpredictable at times, hence their entrance to the park.

Just as Joohyun enters, Yonghwa starts dragging her all around. However, Joohyun could not just let everything go, with the fact that she lied to Yoona about having to visit her sick aunt when in reality she is on a date with her boyfriend. “Are you okay?” Yonghwa asks with utmost concern. This is why she fell in love with him. Despite his childish immature ways, he knows when to be serious and careful be it with her or his friends.

“If you’re worried over your white lie, don’t worry. I told Yoona the truth before we even left the campus.” He tells her with a grin on his face. “You can’t lie to save your life, do you know that? Yoona saw right through you.”

Joohyun pouts, she never lies, not that she can anyways. She thought she was getting better at it; it looks like she is wrong. Her boyfriend laughs at her reaction, pulling her towards the cotton candy machine. “Don’t eat too much.” Yonghwa tells her, paying the guy as Joohyun reaches for the cotton candy. “Why?”

“That.” Yonghwa grabs her shoulders, turning her sideways, revealing the huge rollercoaster as it arrives at its highest altitudes before dropping, Joohyun shudders when the screams of terror enters her ears. “I’d rather eat worms than to ride that.”

Despite her violent refusal, Joohyun finds herself sitting beside Yonghwa in the first car. She starts planning ways to get rid of her boyfriend. Maybe she should bury him somewhere alive where no one would ever find him or burn him in that abandoned building they drove past earlier on. What was the address again? Maybe she should get it from him-

And there they go.

Joohyun yells as if her life depends on how loud she could go. She could swear she saw her life flashed in front of her eyes, Yonghwa tells her she is being dramatic and begs for another round. Joohyun glares at him, pulling him away despite him putting his weight on her back, trying to stop her from moving another step. “You’re an idiot.”

“I’m your idiot.” Yonghwa retorts, hugging her as they sit down on an empty bench.

“Why did you choose me?”

“I don’t understand.” Joohyun replies, on her caramel candy. She wanted a sweet potato flavored ones, but Yonghwa shot her a weird look saying that they do not exist anywhere in the world.

“You know,” Yonghwa fidgets around which is so unlike of the most popular guy in their guy, “why did you chose to be with me when you have dozens of other guys waiting for you?”

Joohyun wishes he did not bring that up. It is not that she is being arrogant or haughty when she says that, but it is true. However, she never likes the idea of it. She tried so many ways to stop them from interrupting her in class or her meetings just to pass her flowers or gifts. It was beyond annoying especially when teachers expect so much from her, she always say that  she would not have any time for boyfriends, but here she is, hand-in-hand with Yonghwa.

He is different from the rest. He did not demand attention from her; he waits for her patiently to talk to her. Be it five minutes or thirty seconds, Yonghwa appreciated every second of time she gave him. It went on for months, gaining attention and suspicious looks from the entire school. Before they knew it, rumors started spreading about them being together. Some even started rumors of Joohyun cheating on Yonghwa when they saw the former speaking to a few of her seniors who were Yonghwa’s classmates.

As if he knew how she felt, he took it upon him to deal with everything in matter of days. Joohyun saw him as a man from that day onwards, realising that they both deserved a chance to be together. Whether they would work out or not does not matter, what matters was every moment they could spend together.

“Just because.” Joohyun answers as Yonghwa frowns when he did not get a proper answer.

“I had expected that.” He stretches his arms behind him, letting his right arm fall on Joohyun’s shoulder like it was the most natural thing. 

“Can I take this off yet?” Joohyun grumbles, playing with her hair.

Yonghwa shakes his head, and then he leans forward to fix the hat properly on her making Joohyun grumble even more.

“I want a candy apple.”

“Since when do you eat unhealthy food?” Yonghwa stares in disbelief.

“Blame yourself, you influenced me. You ruined my life. You, Jung Yonghwa is the wors-“

Yonghwa interrupts her by claiming her lips as his.