Final

Baby Baby

Baby Baby
Kim Hyung Jun, SS501, ex-Ukiss KiBum, his girl (Julie)
This story is written in Hyung Jun's POV.

{plot: If the world's coming to an end, who would you say I love you to?}

 

"Oppa," She called out affectionately to me as she skipped over and took the empty place beside me.


"Yes, my girl?" I laughed.


"There's been this question in my head. Everyone says that it can test who you truly love," She paused and stared at me, "Imagine it would be the end of the world tomorrow, and you can only tell one person how much you love her, who would you say 'I love you' to?"


"What about you?" I didn't give her an answer straight.


"Needless to ask, of course it's you!" She beamed and held  my hand tightly, "You?" Of course I know she is expecting my answer to be her.


"Of course it's..." Her stare on me became intense, but I decided to , "Omma!"


She frowned upon hearing my response and I stuck my tongue out teasingly, before running away from her grip. "Yah! You're so annoying!"


"Wae, of course we should say it to our mothers cos they had a hard time giving birth to us!" I added, as she threw me a look of irritation. We continued chasing each other on around the big grass field in the park, completely forgetting the fact that our things are still lying around on the picnic mat.


----------------


That night, I sat alone on the sofa of my house, switching through random channels on the television as I waited for my brother, Ki Bum to come home from his schedules. Choco ran forth and my legs, and yelp happily when I carried her onto my lap.


"Aigoo, Choco, you've gained weight again. You're heavy.." I laughed, "You should go on a diet starting from tomorrow, araso?"
 

'Breaking news' was what the reporter said on the news channel which caught my attention, and I decided to continue watching the news report, despite having not watched this channel in ages.


"Today morning, Korean scientists have released an astonishing statement with regards to the 'End of the World' rumors which have been going on in many parts of the world lately. Along with the other international scientists who have participated in this research, they would like to warn everyone that the 'End of the World' is indeed true and will probably be on the 2nd August this year..."


What, this gotta be some kind of joke. There's nothing called the 'End of the World'! And what, 2nd August, hmp, if the world ends on 2nd August, then I will forever be 27 years old because my birthday is not going to happen. I laughed it off inside my head.


The door clicked and from the mirror, I saw a figure walk in, closing the brown wooden door behind him. He set his shoes on the racks and undid his tie, slumping down on the sofa beside me, with a terribly tired face.


"Hyung, you're still up?" He is always asking the obvious.


"Yea, I was waiting for you." I smiled at my cute little brother, "How did your schedule go?"


"Well, just some photo shoot and stuff, we managed to go through it all smoothly." He got up reluctantly  from his seat to fetch himself a bottle of water from the fridge, before returning to sit down beside me.


There was a moment of silence between us as we stared at the television, and I suddenly remembered the question about the End of World. "Ki Bum ah, Julie asked me this, and I wanted to know your answer. Umm, if, if tomorrow is the end of the world, and you can only tell one person how much you love her, who will you say it to?"


Ki Bum did not take even a moment to think of his answer, "No doubt it would be Jessica, you know how much I love her." Jessica has been his girlfriend for a year and they were indeed crazily in love.


"Hahaha," I faked a laughter which sounded almost real, "Of course I know. The two lovebirds.. Alright, I know, I am going to bed now. Good night." I stood up and retired to my room.


----------------


The wind blew fiercely against my face, the trees by the sides of the road rocked vigorously like it's threatening to fall over any moment. There were no cars, nor a single soul on the road, fog was covering most parts of the sky that vision almost became so limited. The shining sun was hidden behind the thick dark clouds, it was just darkness all around. It just looked as if it's going to rain, but it's not. It's what they called the end of the world.


Today is 2nd August.


Tomorrow is 3rd August. It'd be my birthday, well, if there would ever be tomorrow...


"Julie, Julie, are you there?" I knocked hard on the door of the house, but no answer came. Where is she? Did she know that it's the End of World today? I continued knocking for a whole ten minutes, but there's still no answer.


"Jung Min!" I came down the flight of stairs from her apartment, feeling dejected, and I saw another familiar lost figure walking past me. He lived near Julie's apartment, it has been no wonder I would meet him there every time I visit her, but I thank god for letting me meet him today.


"Maknae!" His eyes widened in surprise, and they sparkled as if he has found hope and we ran to each other, closing tight in an embrace. It was so long since we last hugged this way.


 The fact is, we were both lost, and we need help. We are desperate and lost.


There is no one on the streets, just us. Everyone must have been staying at home with their dearest family members and loved ones and share their last moment on Earth together. But, why are we the pathetic souls wandering around?


As we pulled away from our embrace, another voice rang in the streets which caused our heads to shoot up in its direction as we chorused, "Young Saeng hyung! Kyu Jong hyung!"


Hope.  We saw another faint glimpse of hope.


"Where's Hyun Joong hyung?" They asked as they came to join us but we shrugged as we didn't know the answer.


"I am here!" Hyun Joong hyung appeared too from the corner of the building as he ran up to us to join the group, "Thank god I found you guys. Thank god I am the dog and I can trace your smell." He joked.


In normal times, we might have been able to pretend to laugh at that cold joke of his, but we couldn't even force a smile knowing that we may be dying the next second.


"Hey, come on, what's with that face. It's good that SS501 can at least die together yeah?" Hyun Joong hyung tried another joke but failed to get us laughing and Kyu Jong hyung stopped him.


"It's not the time to joke around now," Kyu Jong hyung looked like he is almost going to break down, "Let's find a safe spot for hiding."


"It's too late." Hyun Joong hyung shook his head as he pointed upward at the sky. We had been talking among ourselves too much that we hadn't realize the changes in the sky. The sky has turned a weird pinkish purple and there was a swirl of cloud right in the middle, which is stationary and does not move no matter how hard the wind is blowing.


All of a sudden, a bolt of purple lightning flashed through the sky and it came straight towards us. There is no running, and no hiding. Everything happened too quickly that no one has any time to react to the situation.


We screamed, but no voice came out of our throats, and the whole world just turned dead silence when darkness completely enveloped around us.


-----------------


"Ahh!!" I screamed as I shot up from my bed, it was total darkness around me, but from the still curtains, I realized that the storm has died down, and I can see from my bedside window that the sun rays were shining through the clouds. I looked at the neon green alarm clock sitting quietly at my bed side, it was 7am.


Am I still alive? Or did I die in the End of World? There was a sudden knock on my bedroom door as a figure popped his head into my room, "Hyung, are you okay? I heard you scream from next door." It's Ki Bum.


"I am fine, err, just had a, erm, nightmare. Err, you can go and get ready for your schedule, I am okay now." I told him upon remembering that he has a schedule starting at 7.30am, well unless we have died in the End of World and he doesn't have to work anymore.


"Oh okay. I will get going then." He smiled and waved good bye.


I got out of bed as long as I heard the doors closed. I look through the windows and saw the usual scenery in front of me. Like the other mornings, I will wake up to the chirping of the birds and the sound of car engines roaring into life. The trees are still standing tall, except that many of the leaves has fallen due to the wind from the storm, the sky is still dark blue, but the sun is up and shining.


I got out of the bathroom after a quick washing up and my phone rang. It's Julie. I picked it up without hesitation and her sweet voice came from the other end, "Hey, remember to bring the things for our picnic date later."


Picnic date? I thought we had our picnic date already on 10 June? I turned and looked at the calendar hanging on the wall. Wait, today's 10 June!


"Today is... 10th June?" I asked her just to confirm that I did not make a mistake.


"Of course it is 10th June, you just celebrated SS501's 9th anniversary the day before with all your hyungs! Don't tell me you've forgotten our date." She sounded unhappy from her tone.


"Ani, I just wanted to double confirm to make sure I didn't mix up. I just got up you see, so my mind is still in a mess." I tried to find an excuse for myself though I didn't know what's actually going on. Shouldn't today be 3rd August because yesterday, which is supposed  to be the End of World, is 2nd August?


Maybe it's all a dream. I finally came to that conclusion and we ended the call after I promised to bring all the items we need for picnic while Julie will be in-charge of preparing the drinks, snacks and bento.


The reason why I dreamt of looking for Julie, and dreamt of meeting the other members, is no doubt because they are the ones I truly love. In the case if anything actually happens, they would surely be the ones that comes to my mind first.


"Hyung Jun oppa, I have a question for you." Julie started as she sat down beside me, smiling cheekily. That sentence, and her smile, rang a bell in my head. It's exactly the scene from my dream, or should I call it a deja vu.


"If tomorrow's the end of the world, and you can only tell one person how much you love her, who would you say 'I love you' to?" She held tightly to my arm and looked on for an answer that she's expecting.


That's totally what she asked me in my "dream"!


I stared at her, shock at the question, but I quickly hide it unknowingly with a smile. This time, I am not going to leave any regrets in my life, I will answer her question with all my love and sincerity.


I moved closer to her, pulled her into my arms and planted a soft kiss on her lips, catching her off guard. As soon as I drew my lips away from hers, I locked her in the position, leaned in close to her ear and whispered shyly and softly, but loud enough for her to hear it.


"Of course it's you. Saranghae."


"I love you too."


-The End-

 

[Author's Note: Up till now, 'End of World' rumor still remained as a rumor until it's scientifically proven. But no matter whether it's going to be true, we should live everyday of our lives like it's the last, so we can cherish each day, each second and each moment with our loved ones or doing the things we love. Remember, leave no regrets in life! I thank every reader for reading/commenting, hope this story has inspired you in one way or another. And pardon me for publishing this story slightly late because I wasn't around during August when it's Baby's birthday. Keke.]

 

written on 13.02.2014
to be published on 03.08.2014