end of a road

Superfluity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s six am on Tuesday morning in the city that never sleeps. A gentle breeze picks up and sweeps through New York, morning well underway. One of the biggest scandals to hit k-pop had just occurred. A girl huddles her legs in closer to her chest as she sat in the darkest corner of the house. It was big and it was spacious; filled everything a girl like her could’ve wanted. But at that moment, the only thing Jessica Jung wanted was not in the mansion. 

 

It didn’t matter she had a super rich loving boyfriend —currently considering fiancé— nor a private cinema, beach, bowling alley and a 800 square metre walk in wardrobe which was replenished every three months, it didn’t matter to her that she could do whatever she wanted and bought whatever she liked whenever she wanted, it didn’t matter that her sister and parents were only rooms apart from where she sat. None of those things mattered anymore.  

 

Jung Sooyeon had been under SM Entertainment for almost sixteen years of her life. That meant giving up freedom as an eleven year old girl who didn’t make much of the world and only wanted to sing. It only took one sentence on the night of the 29th of September for her world to come crashing down. Mid air, a pivotal voice message was delivered. Flying in from New York first thing in the morning was already arduous, but upon landing, a life damaging voicemail was heard. She didn’t think it’d come down to this. Girls’ Generation had always been Jung Sooyeon’s number one priority in life. It always came before her personal life and her business ventures. There was no days off where someone else could come in and fill your shift. Jessica Jung always had to be with the other eight girls, serving as a main vocalist. It was only natural that Jung Sooyeon felt as if daggers had been ed into her back when the news articles of September 30th 2014 had been filled with her and her only. 

 

Part of her wanted to smack herself for not seeing what was coming and the naive innocent half wanted to cry and hole herself up for eternity. How had she been so oblivious? The members, the company, Tyler and her friends had dropped clear hints of her departure. She should’ve noticed when the eight girls slowly isolated her from their usual gatherings and outings. She should’ve not trusted the words of a multimillion entertainment company representative, who really, had no power in it to begin. It was still up to Choi Wonil. Choi Wonil. CHOI WONIL!!! Jessica Jung screamed and thrashed about violently. A gentle knocking came from the door, obviously ignored. 

 

Her behaviour had only led to her eight best friends walking out on her when she needed them the most. She shouldn’t have snickered pathetically at the numerous SM scandals this year; Yoona and Seunggi, Sooyoung and Kyungho, Tiffany and Nickhun, Hyoyeon and Junhyung, Taeyeon and Baekhyun, Sulli and Choiza, and Kris. She’d only scoffed as the girls slowly got found out by the media, smug that her brief fling with Kris hadn’t been found out and then smirking even more when she snagged Tyler. She shouldn’t have flaunted her fame and wealth in front of the others when she knew what their reaction would be; jealousy and competition were high amongst the nine. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter