dawn

` a grotesque masquerade ball

Jiho felt his brother leave crescent moons on his shoulders. His lips were tight and he waited for Jiho to understand his next few words. Jiho never saw his brother like this. He never saw an ounce of anger on his face. It made him human. But there was a reason behind the crescent moons in his skin. There was a reason for the events that happened tonight. They entered the hall lined with knights and suits of armors. The golden walls stared back at them.

"They're locking us in our rooms," Jae Hyun stated. His steps through the hallways were loud and boisterous. It was a cold statement and Jae Hyun's strides were heavy. Every foot step echoed in the empty, golden hallways. The elder prince ran a finger through his hair and stared back at Jiho. "Do you know what this means?" he asked with a frown. It was a concept that Jiho couldn't understand. It happened every year in some other kingdom, in some other place, They always heard news of the ball. The idea never got to their kingdom though, never here. 

The royals always had balls. Once a year, a kingdom would become a party of some sort with twists. The future rulers were locked up somewhere, the parties were held only for a few days. And the royalty there would never understand why they were subjected to this torment. The attendees were forced to save the royalty. Or their kingdom would be lost. None of them were bright enough to figure out why demons would come and let their kingdoms rot. There were too many forgotten kingdoms because of this game. The balls were stolen from the crowns and given to someone else for fun. 

"I thought we were safe from this monster. We were always a peaceful kingdom, but just like everyone else, we're either going to rot away or one of those degenerate attendees saving us!" 

Jiho watched as his brother's disgust reeked throughout the halls. If the suits of armor had ears, they would be horrified that this man was the future ruler. He was trying to avoid the game. He was trying to disappear into the walls and let someone else suffer. His brother was nothing more than a coward who couldn't accept the fate of being a damsel in distress. It stabbed his pride and he could care less if someone else could hear. It was a strange sight. Jae Hyun was always the type to appear perfect to the public's eye, but Jiho could see his disdemeanor fall apart. This was who he was. He was the Beast, not Jiho. 

"Don't you have something to say about this, Jiho?!" 

"Of course he doesn't, he's mine," a feminine voice called out. As they turned around, someone in a golden bird mask stared back at them. Her smile was wicked. Her fingers were painted in a ruby red color and her head was cocked to the side. It was her game. It was her. 

"I didn't invite you," Jae Hyun stated. His eyes narrowed. But the woman only smiled, clapping her hands together, wrapped her arms around Jiho, she smelled like cinammon and spices. It would have been heavenly if the knights didn't come to life and took Jae Hyun away from him. 

"Of course you didn't, but I am Maleficient and you, my dear, are the poor Aurora," she said lazily, her eyes staring back at Jae Hyun. And before he could counterattack, the man was taken away. The knights lifted his arms and he screamed. (It sounded like he fell into his own addiction of make believe and Jiho was the only one to watch his downfall.) 

"Who are you?"

"That's my secret, my dear," she whispered kindly into his ears. "Let's hope someone saves your kind soul." 

 

They weren't dazed by this. It was as though this was all second nature. A third of the humans disappeared after the two siblings concluded their introductions. Minhee blankly stared at the groups that suddenly formed when the announcement was over. They were discussing plans and pretty things to win the princes' heart. No one was confused by this. She was the only one. It was only her. What kind of fairytale was this? Broken glass and forgotten fairy dust was thrown away. As she passed by others, she heard tidbits of conversations. 

"We should leave now. It's not like this kingdom was plentiful with gold or anything."

"They aren't even worth saving. Look at the four of them, they're all pretentious morons. They can't even run a village if they wanted."

"All one needs to do is seduce the prince, and you can just win the game."

It was a game. It wasn't a game. This was not a survival game, it was a master plan. She undid the ties of her mask and stared at the ballroom. They were vain, stock characters that did nothing to a plot. Who was to be trusted and who weren't? Her figure moved towards the balcony, eyes were painted on the dark sky that was lightening up. The black turned into purple and she could hear the aimless conversations in the ballrooms. Everyone was selfish. She didn't understand why she was still here. There were other things to do, but watching someone else rot away seemed miserable. 

The scent of tobacco still lingered. Her fingers grasped onto the railings. It was a strange indifference towards the man. It wasn't as though she cared about him. It was only the right thing to do. He was only a figment of interest. He wasn't anyone she knew. His lips were nothing more than a desperate plea for attention. Sighing, she stared at the sky. Perhaps the sun would rise and the dreams would turn back to black. It was a naive wish. But it was a wish she desperately needed. 

"You're the trapeze artist," she heard someone say. Spinning around, the youngest sibling stood behind her. Her eyes were bright and bold. It was a strange title to hear.  She saw the circus when it appeared in the village, but things seemed more dreary without her. It must have been a narcissitic thing to believe. "My brother couldn't keep his eyes off you the whole time," she muttered. Her dark hair was twirled to the side, and held by a Sakura blossom bobby pin. Her sweetheart dress had diamonds and sequins, the bottom part was almost like a cupcake. There was a silence. Even opium would numb this kind of misery. 

"I'll help you save him," she continued. Minhee was quiet, her eyes focused on the girl in front of her. There was something desperate in her eyes, and she heard the strain in her voice when she was a ringleader. Someone contorted her body to say such things. There was a lack of emotion, only projection. "He's in that room," she said quietly, pointing to the window, three windows up from the balcony and two over to the right. 

"You need to save him."

Minhee blinked. There was nothing to say to a sixteen year old, but she could see it in her eyes. The sadness in her eyes, the defeated pose and how her smile didn't reach her cheeks. It was sad to think that she needed someone else to save her own blood. 

"Why?" 

"He never got over you. It was strange. He only knew your name, he tried to ask the circus where you went, but even their lips didn't know where you were. He was infatuated." 

"Is that why he kissed me? I had one conversation with the man, and now he's infatuated?" Minhee mumbled. It was a story she never wanted to know. There was no such thing as romance and tinged pink blushes. The teenager's eyes looked too innocent to let go. With a sigh, Minhee slipped off the glittering heels and flung them over the balcony. Her eyes began to stare blankly at the stones, how their edges would burn her feet, the calculations were similar to a trapeze act. She ripped the silky white fabric from her evening gown, leaving enough fabric for most of her legs to be bare, but not enough to look indecent to others. There was no safety net, but there was no other way. She jumped onto the railing, her legs became a balancing act and the girl below only stared in disbelief. 

"What are you doing?!" she shouted. 

Minhee never faltered when she heard screams, but Minhee only left her arms to spread out and she balanced on the railing.  Her feet felt fine against the smooth surface, but as she pounced onto the stone, her feet begged for that smooth surface. It was rough, her hands were bound to be scraped and her bare legs would be wounded. The scars of a trapeze artist were admirable. This would be much more admirable. She scaled the castle, her legs burned to stop. Her hands would get weak and there would be a silent scream from her lips.

But then she'd remember who was watching. It became a circus event, her heart pounded, any mistake would cause a fatal scolding. Hanyoung would have reprimanded her for her drunken actions, but she had other things to worry about. 

"Don't fall!" Jae Kyung screamed.

Her arms burned. Her footing became clumsy. It was something that Hanyoung would indeed yell at her for. Her limbs would be cracking, and most people would be afraid that they'd fall to their death, but she didn't fear any of that sort. The wind felt refreshing to her back, the cold was kind to her body. It was her place of comfort, high off the ground and approaching amazement. 

She slipped. Her legs slipped and she heard a gasp, the window was only one more over, one more window. Her breathing stilled and she climbed to the nearest window ledge. Her feet were numb to the blisters of heels and stone. There was only one jump to his window, only one more. And she jumped. Her legs felt the stone, scabs and blood. It was normal. There would be shouts, but she was tired of trite comments. Her hands were cold and numb, they wouldn't mind the attack on glass. 

Facing away from the window, she balled her fist, there was glass breaking, blood bleeding and a man who stood absentmindedly in front of her. Blood on his body and his face, she stared blankly, not noticing her fist burned. The amount of force into that one punch was enough to leave it breaking. 

He felt blood on his body. There was a shard of glass somewhere on his body, but he stared at the fairy who looked completely okay though her wings were broken and she touched red. 

"You're bleeding," Minhee mumbled. As she entered the bed chambers, her body started to bleed. She didn't mind it. Her body followed her into the bathroom, her feet left a trail of blood and she aimlessly wandered about for gauze and herbs. There in the corner was the medication, her hands bloodied the kit, but she followed through and stared at him.

It was an accident to say such words. It wasn't as though he mattered, but she had to be kind to those who sent their cravings into her body. "Don't get hurt anymore," she whispered. Her fingers delicately treated the wounds on his arms and on his face, his face stung and she could only whisper warmness so he would calm down. She knew of sweetness. She knew of kindness. 

"Are you okay?" she whispered. Her fingers trailed over his body, these were like Hanyoung's own scars and broken bones. But she smiled quietly, she knew how to treat wounds like these. And most women only knew how to whisper sweet serenades. It was something she prided herself in. "Please don't get hurt," she whispered. Blood spilled from her fingers. He took her finger and pressed his lips onto it. Red, there was blood on his lips, and the pain finally settled. 

"Let me treat yours," he said with a smile. He was kind, his fingers were delicate and when she winced, he only hummed songs of the Nightingale and sweet blue birds. Those who fell in love with him would fall endlessly. "I apologize for kissing you. I didn't mean to scare you off. I only wanted to believe your heart beats and that you were in the flesh," he stated. There was a quiet and couldn't form words. 

"I wish the pages would undo their writing," Minhee mumbled as he stopped the red from flowing. There was a broken smile and his lips were about to form words, but someone unlocked the doors. The knights forcefully came into the bed chambers, they grabbed onto Jiho. There was no remorse. There was no emotion. He didn't even retaliate, he let them be. It was as though he lost his hope in the smoke rings. His eyes became empty as he stared back at her. He begged of help and he didn't crave to stay. 

It was the most pitiful thing she had seen in so long.

And in the door frame stood the dark haired, one eye masquerade, Ryu Hye Ju. There was a slight tut from her lips. And she smiled disdainfully at Minhee. 

"Your dress is such a mess. There's so much red, what have you done to yourself? Your legs are scarred and your face left this wretched place unscathed. How interesting. You must be quite the commoner," she started, inching her red heels towards her, squatting, she lifted the girl's chin and laughed. "How pathetic. You can't save a prince like that, come. We'll fix your attire," she said, taking her fingers and for once, Minhee was reminded of home. As though Hanyoung came back and they were the only two in the world. Where was Hanyoung? Why couldn't he stay with her for another minute? Minhee painfully got up from her spot and followed the princess into the dark. 

"I never thought you'd be the one to save him. My gold was on one of those who came in with a pink mask. He took a liking for that one for awhile." 

It was a monologue as they walked. Hye Ju's voice was kind in the dark, Minhee's heart quickened. In the cramped space, she hung her faith into a woman who scorned her. It was a strange thing to believe in. 

"You were an eccentric one too. I thought you'd bawl if I called you such words." 

It was getting smaller. 

"And you didn't. Your lips quivered though. Come, let's change the color of your dress." 

But there was a door at the end of the corridor, Minhee's fingers pulled on the golden handle, and inside was a mess. Dresses were flung all over the ground and Hye Ju only groaned. 

"The others made a mess. I apologize. When others heard that you scaled a castle to save a prince, they found some kind of faith to do something. Imbeciles, they're all brainless birds who only leech off people's courage."

"How many?" 

"Three, all for the eldest Prince of course. No one was as daring as you though. Breaking glass and hurting your soles, my dear, you belong in a mental institution for such things." 

"That is not the first I've heard," Minhee mumbled. But her eyes focused on a simple black dress strung upon the floor. A mesh, sleeveless, black dress, it was short and she stared blankly at the dress. "That one," Minhee stated, looking back at Hye Ju. She smiled simply and took the dress for her. 

"Do you loathe me?"

It was an innocent question, but Minhee could see how her being needed the opinion. How there was a need to be a beautiful person with thorns in her body. It was quiet. There was stardust somewhere in her heart, she could feel the ambrosia flow out of the girl's innocent question. It wasn't intentional. Minhee smiled quietly, coming closer to her felt painful, her legs were still numb from the pain. And she put a lock of hair behind Hye Ju's ear. 

"Even roses have thorns." 

Hye Ju was a rose whose thorns would leave predators running away. Only the true could truly touch their limbs onto her beauty. And the answer must have soothed the poor soul. The fairy only changed her ruined evening gown for the dark dress, her body breathed in such colors and she stared back at Hye Ju. Her lips weren't as tainted with honey. And her words seemed geunine. They weren't dipped in a craving to be accepted or how she felt in a crowd of the riches. She was herself when there was not a stream of humans to follow. Minhee could only watch her figure dance upon the room. Muttering swears as she picked up each article of clothing, Hye Ju was not the type to be a maid. Sighing, Minhee started her spree of cleaning and the swears dissipated in the room. 

"Beautiful. Hurry, you have to save find Jiho. Now." 

It was urgent, but there was too many things telling her what her priorities were. There were too many thoughts and the calm of the storm disappeared in minutes. It was though the demons stole her breath and exchanged it for anxieties. No one would understand the phobia that she had lined on her spine. It was simple. it was kind. It was a demon that loved her. The words that left her lips were anxious, afraid and confused. 

"Where is he?" 

"Even monsters have cages."