4/?

(You're My) Earth, Air, Water, Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Unknown Forest, Northern province

 

Of all the eventualities Sehun could have anticipated, this was not one. Here he was, seated cross-legged on the unpleasantly soggy carpet of the forest floor, striving valiantly to ignore the damp steadily seeping into his robes while engaging in civil conversation with the very same being who had somehow succeeded in subduing Tao with some shiny dust. Speaking of which, the so-called fearsome dragon was still blissfully asleep a few feet away to Sehun’s right, his noisy snores rumbling throughout the woods. Needless to say, their present situation was downright farcical, and had Sehun not felt perfectly lucid, he would have suspected that he himself had fallen prey to some bewitchment.

 

A few tense moments had passed during which both parties had taken the opportunity to blatantly size each other up, until the creature had finally deigned to hop down from its lofty perch, only to sink into a mocking bow upon reaching solid ground. The audacious gesture had left Sehun silently seething, and he had struggled to restrain himself from simply summoning a gust of wind to fling the cheeky creature to the ends of the forest. It was baffling how the other so easily succeeded in upending his normally unshakable stoicism. Never before had his emotions teetered so violently from one end of the spectrum to another at the hands of one individual; alternatively attracted and utterly infuriated, his carefully crafted aloof persona scattered to the proverbial winds.

 

Fortunately, in the end, his hard fought self-control had prevailed and he had come to learn many invaluable things. For one, the creature’s name was Yixing.  And secondly, it was-

 

“An Auki, huh?” the apprentice now muttered to himself thoughtfully, slender fingers unconsciously uprooting small clumps of grass as he browsed through his memories for select fragments of one of the more pleasant afternoons spent at Archmage Yifan’s citadel. That particular day had been refreshingly uneventful, as Sehun had only been made to endure one grueling lesson in magical lore. Rather conveniently for present purposes, the session in question had been devoted to a complete overview of magical flora and fauna.

 

After a few seconds, the relevant memory surfaced from his labyrinth of thoughts. “I was taught by my Master that Aukis were peace-loving forest dwelling spirits, supremely gifted in the healing arts.”

 

To Sehun’s immense satisfaction, for a moment the Auki appeared to be taken aback at the extent of his knowledge. Vivid violet eyes widened just the tiniest fraction in surprise. However, the sentiment was short-lived, as the creature all too quickly recovered its composure. If anything, the mischievous glint in its eyes had returned with twice the sparkle.

 

“Well, how utterly delightful to finally encounter a human that is not a complete imbecile,” the Auki drawled. “You are mostly correct. It is true I can heal all manner of ailments, be they natural or mystical. But as for peace-loving, well, I’m afraid that would depend on the individual Auki. I happen to consider myself as ranking amongst the exceptionally magnanimous ones.”

 

Sehun snorted with derision at the creature’s shameless declaration. “Believe that if you wish. If you were truly magnanimous, you would release my familiar from your foul enchantment this instant.”

 

The Auki immediately shot back. “Goes to show just how much you know. I was indeed going to let you invaders pass through my territory without incident, until you just had to destroy about three centuries worth of life with your reckless behavior, not to mention the damage you’ve just now carelessly inflicted on my nice carpet of grass.”

 

The Auki gave a miffed sound, its dainty nose lifted disdainfully in the air. “There’s been quite enough pointless displays of magical bravado in recent times, what with those Lunar Race buffoons rampaging around and stirring up trouble.”

 

The unexpected allusion to a certain clandestine group immediately peaked Sehun’s interest.  “Wait, you know of the Lunar Race?”

 

“What self-respecting creature of magic hasn’t? You’re either with them or against them. Or so they insist. On pain of death, I might add.”

 

“And where do you stand?”

 

“For as long as they continue to wreak havoc against my forest, naturally, against them.”

 

Sehun had already guessed as much. But with the creature’s allegiance now established beyond doubt, a plan began to formulate in his head. Here was a ripe opportunity to steer the conversation in his favour! So he began, rather slyly, “In that case, you may be interested to know that we were actually on the way to Razak when you accosted us. I assume you’ve heard of the horrible illness that’s been unleashed on the indigenous folk there. The one that induces in its victims symptoms of lycanthropy?” At the Auki’s slow nod, he forged onwards.  “Well, I’ve been assigned by the Archmages themselves to sort out the mess. So you know...if you let us go now, you’ll be doing everyone and not to mention, this forest, a huge favour.”

 

The Auki adopted a pensive expression then, appearing to give the boy’s words serious consideration. Finally, it released a long sigh. An odd faraway look then entered its violet eyes. When the creature next spoke, its soft voice had taken on a cold, detached quality.

 

“Tempting, but I’m afraid that won’t be good enough. Not that I doubt your ability to make those Lunar Race idiots perish in the most excruciating of ways possible. In fact, I very much look forward to it.”

 

“What do you want then?”

 

“Oh, it’s quite simple really. “ Sehun waited. Truth be told, he had already dawdled far too long in this blasted forest. Any longer and he would be late for his appointment. He had attempted to negotiate. But if Yixing persisted in detaining them, Sehun had no other choice than to resort to brute force. And he would have absolutely no qualms in doing so, he told himself sharply. None at all.

 

“Well, whatever it is, you’d better spit it out. Before my patience wears thin.”

 

In spite of the overt threat, a giggle once more erupted from the creature, one which affected the apprentice more than he cared to admit.

 

“Finally showing our true colours are we? I like you much better this way. Enough already with the boring front of the polite and dutiful disciple. Very well, I’ll make this short. As compensation, I humbly request that you take me with you.”

 

★★★★★

 

Town of Silla, Eastern province

 

“This way. Quickly, please.”  Without further ceremony, the honey-coloured youth - Jongin, as he’d casually thrown over his shoulder -  had urged the trio into the narrow passageway behind him. Once all three were safely inside, the young male darted his head around before firmly shutting the screen behind them, esconsing them in near darkness. Immediately, the sounds of the raging storm vanished. It was almost as if they had entered a different realm where only a hushed, solemn quiet reigned. It took a while for Baekhyun’s eyes to adjust to the gloom, the heavy weight of exhaustion rendering him unable to even summon his customary ball of light. Slowly, with Jongin regaining the lead, the three companions filed down the hallway, four pairs of eyes glued to a single flickering flame.

 

They had only walked a few feet when Jongin suddenly bade them come to a halt. The corridor had opened up into a vacant, unfurnished antechamber. Directly before them, a grand wooden staircase spiraled up into darkness, most likely leading to various sleeping quarters. Unfortunately, that would not be their destination just yet. Instead, Jongin pointed to the left, where a dark silhouette was just discernible through the translucent material of another shoji screen. With a careful, measured movement, so as not to disturb the occupant of the room, Jongin drew back the panel and ushered the small company inside.

 

Stepping over the threshold, the trio arrived in a plain room, illuminated by standing braziers positioned in each of the four corners. The sweet redolence of night-blooming jasmine wafted from incense sticks burning out of sight. Baekhyun’s eyes were immediately drawn to the ornamental silk screen positioned at the back wall, upon which was painted with painstaking detail Silla’s topography. But even the beauty of the artwork could not compete with the main attraction of the room, the Archmage himself. Magistrate Do was currently seated on an embroidered cushion at a low table, the wide sleeves of his pure white robe - a kimono, Baekhyun recalled - rolled up to his elbow. Tresses as black as a raven’s wing were bent diligently over a large piece of parchment. If the Archmage had noticed their entrance, he gave no sign. Undeterred by the intrusion, graceful brushstrokes continued in their transcription of the elegant characters of the ancient language of Silla onto a stark white page. The seconds trickled by while the trio waited in respectful silence for the Archmage’s task to be completed, the slow passage of time punctuated by the steady dripping from the hems of their robes, the rain droplets staining the tatami mats with dark splotches.

 

Suddenly, with a noise of satisfaction the Archmage replaced his ink brush back in its pot and lifted his head to regard his guests. Baekhyun found himself looking into the unreadable depths of disconcertingly large pools of darkest brown, irises speckled here and there with faint gold flecks. Uncomfortable silence reigned as the Archmage leveled his penetrating gaze at each member of the motley trio in turn. A slight flicker of recognition crossed his eyes when they at last alighted upon Baekhyun.

 

Suddenly, the sombre atmosphere was broken, as Magistrate Do broke out into a warm grin that melted his stern features, reassuring the anxious novice mages.  Beside him, Baekhyun felt Jongdae breathe a sigh of relief. The feeling was mutual; they were in safe hands, now.  

 

“Ah, excellent timing! I was just writing my reply to Lord Han’s emergency eagle. He was very worried, you see. And understandably so. Word has come that you experienced a bit of... trouble on your journey here.”

 

"Yes, Magistrate Do.”  Baekhyun answered warily. “There was...an ambush. But between the three of us, we managed somehow.”

 

"Indeed. Which brings us to the next item on the agenda. Lord Han only informed me of the coming of one student, and yet here I find three individuals

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter