002

The Maze Runner

"This might hurt just a little bit Yoongi," a woman said she ejected a needle into Yoongi's upper arm. Yoongi saw the girl again next to him and she smiled at him.

"We'll find a cure, okay?" she said.

Yoongi saw the younger Yoongi furrow his eyebrows. "But isn't it wrong to risk these people? They're the same age as us. One of them is 11 years younger than us. He's going into the Maze and he's only 7, don't you feel guilty?" Younger Yoongi asked. The girl grabbed his arms and looked into his eyes. 

"Wouldn't you risk a few people to save the whole human race? The Flare is going to go all around the world," the girl explained. Then the girl hugged him. "We'll be going into the Maze soon. Please don't forget me. And don't forget that WICKED is good." WICKED is good. WICKED is good.

"Yoongi wake up! Dammit!" Namjoon cursed. It was morning. The Runners had already gone to search the Maze, and the rest of the boys were trying to wake Yoongi up. 

"Could he be dead?" Jiwon, the youngest Glader, asked. Jiwon was about 10 years old, but he could kick some when his fellow Gladers were in trouble. 

"No. He's still breathing. Barely," Hanbin, a Medic Glader, said. 

"GAAAAHHH!" Yoongi gasped as he sat up. 

"Holy . That screamed was louder than those buggin' Mourners," Jin cursed. 

"Thank you for living! I don't know what I'd do without you!" Jiwon hugged Yoongi tightly with affection and Yoongi felt guilty seeing him in his dream. Trying the return the affection, Yoongi awkwardly wrapped his arms around Jiwon. 

"Okay. Lets leave Yoongi some personal space. We need to get back on our normal activities," Namjoon said. The boys filed out of the room. 

Yoongi turned his neck and saw another boy laying on the bed next to him. 

"Hey," Yoongi said. The boy looked and him and did a double-take.

"You," he growled. The mysterious boy jumped off his bed and went on top of Yoongi, beginning to put his hands around Yoongi's neck.

"Help! Help! Hel-!" Yoongi shouted in despair, but the older male seemed to not be paying attention. 

"I saw you. You work for them!" the boy yelled. Yoongi pushed him off with full force and tried to run out. 

"HELP!" Yoongi yelled as he ran from the boy. Yoongi was randomly running in the woods, trying to find a way out and back into the camp. 

"Look! It's newbie! Damn. That kid runs fast," a boy shouted out. 

"Guys! He's in trouble! Benji! Stop!" another boy yelled out, to the boy that was chasing Yoongi.

"Aw shuck it. I knew we shouldn't have put him next to Benji," another boy said. Finally Benji caught up to Yoongi and grabbed his legs, forcing him to fall down. But, Taehyung already threw a stick to Benji's head, making the latter lose focus. 

"Grab him," Taehyung ordered and several boys grabbed Benji by the arms and legs. 

"I SAW HIM! HE'S BAD!" Benji yelled over the boys' mumbling. 

"What the hell is he talking about?" Yoongi asked. 

"It's called the Changing. Boys, pull it up," Jin ordered. The boys that grabbed Benji lifted Benji's shirt up, which showed a big black cut with black veins forming around it. 

"That means he's been stung. But he got stung a little while ago. We thought he was harmless so we out you next to him, but I guess we guessed wrong," Namjoon said. 

"I guess we should Banish Benji for harming another Glader and for our protection and good, we have to send you out into the Maze forever," Taehyung commanded. "JungKook, pack up some necessities for Benji."

"No, no, no," Benji cried. Taehyung left the scene with sagging shoulders and Jin ran to him. 

"Yes. We have to Benji," Namjoon said sadly. "It's for the better. Boys." The boys lifted Benji up and took him to the medical hut. 

"What the hell was he talking about?" Yoongi asked. 

"We don't know. We only get this rarely. But, as far as we know, those whose been stung by them Mourners, go a little," Namjoon made a spinning motion with his finger, "crazy in the head."

"But why'd he target me?" Yoongi asked. Namjoon shrugged. 

"Let's not think about it alright?" Namjoon asked. 

"Alright," Yoongi said. 

It was the time when the walls were about to close. It was the time when the Keepers and other Gladers were going to Banish Benji. 

Every boy had sticks, whereas the Keepers had long sticks with a mallet-shaped wood on the end. The Buliders, that carried Benji, brought Benji in front of the walls. JungKook tossed the bag full of necessities to Benji.

"Please!" Benji begged. He dropped on his knees and begged. A few of his fellow Gladers wiped their eyes with their dirt covered sweaters. 

"Today, after two years of being a Glader, Jung Benji is Banished for harming another Glader, which is a violation of Rule 4. And he was stung. We've tried our best, but we can't cure you Benji. The only resolution is to Banish you," Taehyung said loudly. 

"No," Benji continued to cry. Wind rustled through the trees, signaling that it was time for the walls to close. The other boys moved forward as Benji moved backwards, going into the Maze. 

"No," Benji cried again, but he was continued to be pushed out and was finally in the Maze. 

"No!!!" Benji cried one last time before the walls had finally closed. 

"Well, that was done," Jin said. Taehyung, sorrowfully, began to cross out Benji's name, which was imprinted on the rock next to the walls. 

"We lost a great Glader," Namjoon said. 

"We had to do what was right, Namjoon. It may seem sad, but it was for the better," Jiwon acknowledged. 

"Yeah. This boy is right," Taehyung said. 

"Alright. Time to head for bed. I guess I didn't show you your bed yet, right?" Taehyung asked. Yoongi shook his head. "Jiwon, since you're the closest to him, you can sleep next to Yoongi." The boys headed to the hut that was full of 'beds' that were actually made up of pieces of cloth tied to wooden poles. 

"Come here friend," Jiwon ordered. He brought Yoongi to his 'bed' and showed Yoongi's his. "It may not be as comfortable as the ones we had before we came here, but at least we didn't have to sleep on dirt like Taehyung." 

"Alright maggots. Good night," Namjoon shouted. 

"Night," a few called out. Yoongi turned his head and found Jiwon fast asleep.

Good night Jiwon, I'm sorry for bringing you here.