An Incident and A New Beginning

Styling WINNER: 2014 S/S

All along, Soojung didn’t know what she wanted to do in life. After interning at a job with many marketing and events opportunities, she graduated and knew that she wanted a marketing job in life. In a weird twist of fate, her work at the company she interned was found out by YG Entertainment and recognized by the CEO. They wanted her and gave her a call immediately to hire her.

Although Soojung was not sure what her exact job scope was, she accepted the job. Who would ever reject such a great opportunity?  On the first day, she didn’t even know what to wear. Going through her closet the previous night, Soojung tried and took off clothes almost a hundred times, resulting in a huge pile of clothes on the floor. “Oh well, I guess I’ll take care of that tomorrow night.” Sighing, Soojung decided on a pair of jeans and a simple white button-down, matched with white heels. It was chic, yet presentable enough for the first impression.

 


 

Bright and early, Soojung was almost a quarter hour earlier than the time she was supposed to report. Glancing at her watch, she wondered if she should just try entering the building, or stay outside and wait for someone to bring her in.

While Soojung was peering at the security office, someone walked into her.

“Ahh! My breakfast!” The bread she painstakingly packed last night had fallen onto the floor, the contents spilled out of the plastic bag.

“Oh, I’m so sorry! I was looking at something else..” The person who knocked into her apologized immediately. He was tall, had long silky hair parted to the side, and was wearing shades. In his soft voice, he apologized again as he noticed the mess he made. “Sorry again.. I wonder what I can do for your bread.. Oh! Hyung! Yes I’m coming up already. Sorry I’m late!” The man received a call and with an apologetic wave, he shouted “I’ll make it up to you somehow!” and ran into the YG building.

Speechless, Soojung could only stare at her ruined breakfast, and turned to look at the man rapidly disappearing into the YG building. What luck…

Just then, a hand clamped onto her shoulder and Soojung jumped. A pretty and thin woman who looked around 30 stood before her. She extended a hand for a handshake. “Hi, you must be Soojung. I’m Jiwon, the person who contacted you for this job.” Soojung shook her hand, and meekly followed Jiwon into the YG building.

As they stepped into the lobby, Soojung could only stare at the building’s interior wondrously, hanging open of its own accord. The YG building was mainly decorated in black, with many modern and pop art paintings, figurines and artful taste in furniture. As Jiwon led Soojung around, she explained the various rehearsal rooms, and what purpose each level of the building served.

Passing by rehearsal rooms, Soojung caught glimpses of YG artists that she only saw from TV, and was more than a little starstruck. Just as they neared a balcony, TOP from Big Bang came in, smelling of cigarettes. He tipped his head in Jiwon’s direction, and smiled slightly at Soojung, who nearly melted on the spot. It was Choi Seunghyun just an arm’s length away from her, the charismatic rapper of Big Bang, for goodness’ sake!

Barely recovering before Jiwon turned her attention to her, Soojung noticed that they had come to a stop in one of the lounges. A group of guys were sitting together, laughing and joking. Jiwon addressed Soojung, “Finally, we have come to the end of our tour. This is where your job begins. Meet our newest group, Winner, whom you’ll be the stylist for.”

“So-sorry, but what?” Honestly, Soojung hadn’t been paying much attention to Jiwon’s tour, and she spluttered at this sudden revelation.

“You’re their new stylist. They haven’t had a stylist yet and YG decided that it’s time to hire one. Didn’t you know why we hired you?” Jiwon said coolly, an eyebrow arched.

“Oh.. I really didn’t know. But that’s okay, I will do my best.” Soojung felt a little lost. What was she doing here? While her work in internship did cover fashion trends and outfit collages, she wasn’t sure if this was the career path she wanted. Oh well.. Guess I can’t do anything about this now. Might as well just try my best at it.

Waking from her inner monologue, Soojung realized the group of guys had gone quiet and were looking at her. Jiwon nodded, approval evident in her attitude. “That’s great, I like your spirit. So let’s start with the introductions. Guys, this is Lee Soojung, who will be your new stylist starting from today. Introduce yourselves, and get along well! I have something to attend to, so I’ll come back to check on you later.”

With a quick wave, Jiwon strolled out of the room, and the soft click of the closed door left an impending silence. Soojung fidgeted nervously as she looked at the ground. “Uh hi.. I’m your new.. STYLIST!” Her last word came out in a startled yelp as the group of guys suddenly launched themselves over and initiated a group hug. They started jumping in a circle while hugging Soojung.

“HELLO! We are WINNER!” They echoed enthusiastically. They were all very tall and Soojung could barely see their faces, being squashed in the middle of these boys. They parted and Soojung took a deep breath of fresh air. “Hi..” She smiled shyly at them. The boys were delighted; they had such a cute and pretty stylist to take care of them!

The boy with bangs and a bowler hat stood up. “Guys let’s start introducing ourselves. I’ll go first. Hello I’m Kang Seungyoon, the leader of WINNER. Fun fact: my guitar is the sixth member of Winner.” Seungyoon smiled and took a bow before seating down. His flirty smile tugged at Soojung’s heart and she smiled back.

Next, the tan boy with the backcomb wearing a singlet raised a hand in greeting. “Yoooo~ I’m Song Minho, Mino for short. I rap and I’m the cutest.” With that, he made a squishy aegyo face, putting his fists to his cheeks and doing a “Buing Buing~” in his deep masculine voice. That made Soojung laugh out loud, falling onto her knees and banging the floor. Mino grinned and raised his eyebrows at her cheekily.

“No, don’t believe him! I’m the cutest. Actually I’m the hyung here, I’m Kim Jinwoo. I like to play the piano in my spare time, which nowadays, is really rare.” Jinwoo held two fingers to his eyes and pouted, and Soojung had to admit that he was really quite cute. Cute and handsome, what a package.

“Hey I’m Nam Taehyun. I’m the maknae, although I don’t really like it. And I’m sorry for earlier. At least I can repay your breakfast now.” Taehyun smiled tentatively at Soojung, and Soojung realized that he was the one who made her drop her bread earlier.

“Hey you know her already? How unfair Nam Taehyun!”

“Yah you chic maknae, always getting the girls!”

“You’re such a player, Taehyun ah.”

Comments flowed in from the other boys, and Soojung could only laugh awkwardly. But Taehyun was no pushover. Even though he was the youngest, he quickly shushed the other boys and regained his composure.

“Sure, you can buy me a coffee or something later. Great to know you this way, Taehyun.” Soojung said, her words quickly getting drowned out by the jeers and protests of the other boys. Laughing to herself, Soojung could only think of how dorky these boys were.

“Hey! Hope you guys didn’t forget about me. I’m baby lion Lee Seunghoon. I also rap BUT..” Seunghoon stopped for suspense and waved his arms around like a magician. Suddenly, he did a full body wave, shocking Soojung with his talent. “I’m the best dancer here.” Seunghoon smirked and finished off with a body lock.

“Wow!! Daebak!” Soojung was awed and clapped for Seunghoon. Seunghoon appeared to be proud of himself, oblivious to the glares of s.

“So.. how old are you, Soojung-sshi?” Seungyoon asked casually.

“I’m 20 (Korean age). Am I your noona?” Soojung teased.

The boys let out a gasp and exclaimed together.

“You’re so young! We’re all older than you, even maknae Nam is older than you by a year.” Mino pointed out.

“Well that’s great, we’re all going to take care of her, aren’t we?” Jinwoo said, to agreement from his dongsaengs.

“Thank you for doing this, guys. I really like that you are all so friendly and nice. I’m looking forward to this job and being the best stylist for WINNER.” Pumping her fist, Soojung vowed to do her best in her new job. The guys cheered, and they decided to head out for coffee so that Taehyun could return his favour.